I have a stupid question for about 3.7 MUFFLERS - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I have a stupid question for about 3.7 MUFFLERS

I was re-reading some Exhaust posts and it seems some V6 owners will buy very loud obnoxious Mufflers for their cars and hate the drone and noise enough that they add resonators to get them almost tolerable but still sound terrible.

We all know that resonators will quiet down the exhaust note at the extra cost for them as well as adding the small amount of weight and cutting your pipes to get them on. (More Clamps)

My question is: Why not just get :
Ford Racing Touring
Magnaflow streets
Borla Touring

Which none of these need any add on's to make them sound really good without adding the resonators.

It's just a question for the 3.7 V6 owners and I really am curious.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I was re-reading some Exhaust posts and it seems some V6 owners will buy very loud obnoxious Mufflers for their cars and hate the drone and noise enough that they add resonators to get them almost tolerable but still sound terrible.

We all know that resonators will quiet down the exhaust note at the extra cost for them as well as adding the small amount of weight and cutting your pipes to get them on. (More Clamps)

Ford Racing Touring
Magnaflow streets
Borla Touring

Which none of these need any add on's to make them sound really good without adding the resonators.

Ronnie
Because Ronnie, that would make sense.
BTW Borla Touring here and love them
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
because some of us don't want to spend 700 - 800 on an axleback exhaust, when 400 - 450 will get what we want. Also, my Roush is loud, but its a good loud and I like it. The drone is there, but not a deal breaker. More of a "it would be nice with less" issue. I don't have resonators on mine, but may add them at some point.

I did a ton of research before buying my Roush, and it did come down to Roush or FRPP, but the Roush was about $300 cheaper, which I will be using to get a tuner shortly. So for people like myself with a limited mod budget, that's the way to go.
- Roush Axle-back Exhaust
- Airaid CAI
- 20% Tint
GBMustang13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
JDM
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Price & personal preference
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
I was re-reading some Exhaust posts and it seems some V6 owners will buy very loud obnoxious Mufflers for their cars and hate the drone and noise enough that they add resonators to get them almost tolerable but still sound terrible. We all know that resonators will quiet down the exhaust note at the extra cost for them as well as adding the small amount of weight and cutting your pipes to get them on. (More Clamps) My question is: Why not just get : Ford Racing Touring Magnaflow streets Borla Touring Which none of these need any add on's to make them sound really good without adding the resonators. It's just a question for the 3.7 V6 owners and I really am curious. Ronnie
Exactly

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMustang13 View Post
because some of us don't want to spend 700 - 800 on an axleback exhaust, when 400 - 450 will get what we want. Also, my Roush is loud, but its a good loud and I like it. The drone is there, but not a deal breaker. More of a "it would be nice with less" issue. I don't have resonators on mine, but may add them at some point. I did a ton of research before buying my Roush, and it did come down to Roush or FRPP, but the Roush was about $300 cheaper, which I will be using to get a tuner shortly. So for people like myself with a limited mod budget, that's the way to go.
I agree, I have the roush racing and love the note. Don't mind the little bit of drone, but I got rid of a lot of it by adding a cold air intake
moto113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
I went with 2012 GT500's and am completely happy with them. About 215 bucks for an exhaust. I wanted the Ford touring ones, but they cost too much.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

And to top it off, the resignators don't "quiet" them down, but mearly adjust the drone so that your ears do not vibrate in the car at cruising speeds.

I have simply stopped reading in detail all the posts on "which is better/louder/or the best" exhaust posts.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
I was re-reading some Exhaust posts and it seems some V6 owners will buy very loud obnoxious Mufflers for their cars and hate the drone and noise enough that they add resonators to get them almost tolerable but still sound terrible. We all know that resonators will quiet down the exhaust note at the extra cost for them as well as adding the small amount of weight and cutting your pipes to get them on. (More Clamps) My question is: Why not just get : Ford Racing Touring Magnaflow streets Borla Touring Which none of these need any add on's to make them sound really good without adding the resonators. It's just a question for the 3.7 V6 owners and I really am curious. Ronnie
good observation ronnie thats exactly what i was thinking about, why would they want a loud axleback exhaust and putting a resonator to quite it down, why cant they just get the one in the middle.. Thats why i got the borla touring not too loud, no drone, and sounds just perfect.. No more cutting and clamping. Save money too..
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
because some of us don't want to spend 700 - 800 on an axleback exhaust, when 400 - 450 will get what we want.
What he said ^^^

I was gonna go borla anything axleback. But instead i went with a custom made dynomax catback which was $600 with install.
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I paid 459 for mine and its borla.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Mine were $600 for the Borla Touring, but if you pay $450 and then add another $100 for resonators and $50 to put them in and it still sounds like crap
BTW someone at the local cruise spot did this, then paid another $775 for the Magnaflow Street Cat Backs because his OTA pipe was butchered so bad from adding the resonators
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Why you guys paying so much on your mufflers for borla, i got mine at amazon for 459 which is not bad at all for the qualoty of the axleback. some other sites are way too expensive for me. i got the borla touring too.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Borla ATAKs here and love em

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ford Racing Touring
Magnaflow streets
Borla Touring

Ronnie
Well said Ronnie! I had this very conversation with a member yesterday about them getting roush and then adding resonators. I replied that it defeats the purpose of buying a loud exhaust setup and with all the other choices out there it wouldn't make sense for him/her to go with roush, then add resonators. I love mine but I also wanted loud/ obnoxious, but I see people making the mistake of either not doing enough research, or not quite sure of what they want but they buy a loud axelback and then they are pissed that it's too loud and/or drones to much.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'm not saying anything bad about loud mufflers

If you want loud and obnoxious with a lot of drone. If you like your 3.7 V6 sounding like a Civic with a Fart Can it is fine with me. It is the owners choice but why add a resonator and not just stick with what you knew what it was going to be when you bought it.

Borla has a great web site with a video on each of their mufflers. You can actually hear the difference before buying. I was asking "Why buy the loudest and then put resonators on them to get them to sound like the Touring's when you can just get the touring's in the first place. Borla even says there is no difference in power between the three they sell. Just more noise.

I personally like my Magnaflow Streets due to the nice deep rumble they put out. They do scream when you get on the throttle and do sound nice driving at a steady speed.

Ronnie
Old 10-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you want loud and obnoxious with a lot of drone. If you like your 3.7 V6 sounding like a Civic with a Fart Can it is fine with me. It is the owners choice but why add a resonator and not just stick with what you knew what it was going to be when you bought it.

Borla has a great web site with a video on each of their mufflers. You can actually hear the difference before buying. I was asking "Why buy the loudest and then put resonators on them to get them to sound like the Touring's when you can just get the touring's in the first place. Borla even says there is no difference in power between the three they sell. Just more noise.

I personally like my Magnaflow Streets due to the nice deep rumble they put out. They do scream when you get on the throttle and do sound nice driving at a steady speed.

Ronnie
Ahhh, they don't have a lot of drone, nor do they sound like a civic. They are just loud and scream at wot which is music to my ears, but I realize they are not for everyone. You'll never have a v6 that sounds like a 4 banger just like you'll never get a 6 to sound like an 8 so your notion of a stang sounding like a civic is nonsense. I thought you were better than that Ronnie. : (
Old 10-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
because some of us don't want to spend 700 - 800 on an axleback exhaust, when 400 - 450 will get what we want. Also, my Roush is loud, but its a good loud and I like it. The drone is there, but not a deal breaker. More of a "it would be nice with less" issue. I don't have resonators on mine, but may add them at some point.

I did a ton of research before buying my Roush, and it did come down to Roush or FRPP, but the Roush was about $300 cheaper, which I will be using to get a tuner shortly. So for people like myself with a limited mod budget, that's the way to go.
+1, Its nice to see there are still some people on this forum that can give an HONEST NON BIAS opinion..........Yes Ronnie we all know you have the greatest, deepest sounding exhaust ever made but some of us like loud and obnoxious!
Old 10-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I know some like the loud and obnoxious

I'm fine with that. There are some really loud 3.7's I have heard that sound really good. I'm just saying why buy loud mufflers and then try to get them as quiet as possible. I'm with loud mufflers if they sound good but some sound really, I mean really terrible.

Roush as well as Atak's are loud but sound great. I have not heard of a good sounding Flowmaster on a V6 but they sure sound good on a 4.6 V8. I live in a place that has a lot of Mustangs, I hear all kinds of Mufflers.

Anybody can come on down (or Up) to Daytona on the 2nd. of November to the Daytona Flea Market from around 8am until 1pm and there will be at least 75 or more different Mustangs among the 300 or so street rods and Muscle cars there. You can listen to all kinds of Mufflers on all kinds of Mustangs.

There is a guy that usually comes there with a 2011 V6 with straight pipes that he only has resonators on and it really sound terrible. ( like a civic with a fart can) Of course he always has to rev his car up as he is driving in or out and it does not sound good at all, But I will say it is very very loud.

As far as a low budget, I'm on a VA disability fixed income. I just save up until I can get quality parts for my Mustang. I'm not about to buy something I don't really like just because it is cheap.

The main point is, If you want it, get it. If you like it get it. If your only getting Mufflers because they are cheap and you don't really like them, Then get Resonators for them.

As you all know:I do have the deepest greatest exhaust ever made.
( That is for my taste)

When I say a Civic with a fart can, I'm talking about a certain tone. Not like the Mustang really has a four cyl. I'm talking super loud and annoying, Not just loud.
Ronnie
Old 10-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Borla touring with BBK catted x pipe and shorty headers.. It's not always about volume but the right note!

http://youtu.be/sQviHI9XZXs
MustangDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDUB View Post
Borla touring with BBK catted x pipe and shorty headers.. It's not always about volume but the right note!

http://youtu.be/sQviHI9XZXs
Sounds good, I plan on going shorties with catted x also. I might go with the atak, but you really can't go wrong with borla! I hear the headers are a pain to install but I prefer to do them myself. Did you do the install?
Old 10-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Sounds good, I plan on going shorties with catted x also. I might go with the atak, but you really can't go wrong with borla! I hear the headers are a pain to install but I prefer to do them myself. Did you do the install?
I have the headers as well did the install myself with a buddy. And it's pretty simple just time consuming. 😝 take your time and it'll get done.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:45 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Make sure you have enough extensions and a breaker bar to remove the nuts off the manifold to mid pipe studs and also take the nuts off the exhaust manifold studs and put the studs back in the head before putting the headers on
Old 10-29-2013, 05:52 AM   #24
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Ahhh, they don't have a lot of drone, nor do they sound like a civic. They are just loud and scream at wot which is music to my ears, but I realize they are not for everyone. You'll never have a v6 that sounds like a 4 banger just like you'll never get a 6 to sound like an 8 so your notion of a stang sounding like a civic is nonsense. I thought you were better than that Ronnie. : (
Ronnie does speak the truth. The Roush are obnoxious loud. Very simular to the Choc-full-o-nuts coffee can exhaust used in the 4 cylinder crowd. I can't tell the difference!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Ronnie does speak the truth. The Roush are obnoxious loud. Very simular to the Choc-full-o-nuts coffee can exhaust used in the 4 cylinder crowd. I can't tell the difference!
Another useless opinionated post from you bucko! I'd say I thought you were better than that but.....well. BTW a quick response to the post that you deleted and replaced with this one, your bias opinion doesn't speak for all the people that share the road with people who have a roush exhaust. Again.....useless! What was that again....oh yeah, opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one. Was that the one you use?! Lol
Old 10-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Come on Mike:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The reason for this forum is to give your opinion. Your starting to be so one sided that you do not have any opinion at all anymore. If you like loud and obnoxious that is fine with all of us. My post is not really about what sounds good or bad. All I'm asking is Why add resonators to an exhaust system that people love so much when they put them on when they can buy mufflers with a tone they would like to hear in the first place.
It does not matter if I like your muffler sound at all as long as you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDUB View Post
Ronnie
Old 10-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The reason for this forum is to give your opinion. Your starting to be so one sided that you do not have any opinion at all anymore. If you like loud and obnoxious that is fine with all of us. My post is not really about what sounds good or bad. All I'm asking is Why add resonators to an exhaust system that people love so much when they put them on when they can buy mufflers with a tone they would like to hear in the first place.
It does not matter if I like your muffler sound at all as long as you like it.

Ronnie
Ah Ronnie, your the one who became one sided opinionated, read your first paragraph after my first post.......No where do I state that roush is the best nor do I take a shot at anyone's sound or setup! Do I ??? I'll leave your trolling thread now.
Btw the greatest exhaust ever made reference was a joke just to state the oblivious.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey Mike

I have not taken a shot at anybody's choice of Mufflers. (EVER) I have always said that if the owner likes the sound it is fine with me. I know you were kidding about my Mufflers.
I do value your opinion on a lot of things on this forum. A also like to hear from other members (Even Bucko) He is almost always correct in his information. I really don't know everything and asking questions and seeing other Mustang 3.7 V6 owners views is really a good thing. We may sometimes disagree but that is OK with me.
Since I put up this post I have learned a few things.
Some owners don't do proper research when first buying the Mufflers and need a sound adjustment. ( Resonators) Some buy Mufflers because they are less expensive. Then hate the drone so then add Resonators.
There is something for everybody and that is a good thing.

Lets keep talking and learning from each other.
Ronnie
Old 10-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #29
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Is it OK to return to topic now?
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Good idea

I say """YES""
Old 10-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #31

its kinda funny how it seems people chase the magnaflow street exhaust note, without just starting off with the magnaflow street catback I the first place.
cerebrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Alright I'm new to all of this and looking to get an exhaust! When you guys say the roush and borlas are loud are we talking? I have no problem with them being loud as hell as long as they sound good! But are they so loud that I'm going to piss off the neighbors every time I start my car? I'm looking at either the roush axle back or borla ataks, how much quieter are the borla tourings than the ataks? Are they still loud enough?
ArlingtonStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Lol I've had roush magnaflow streets and borla.

Borla is better than both your mufflers

Hahaha I'm only kidding around. I personally do think it sounds much better and has less drone than both options. But it's really personal preference.

Also I think some people don't want to drop 600 dollars all at once so they buy a cheap axlebacks and than buy resonators later down the road if they don't like the tone. That way they can split up the cost of having a tone they desire instead of forking out a bunch of money at one time.
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Hmiller
I'd have to agree with you Ronnie but what do I know .. I would just sell the exhaust I have and buy new better sounding ones it that were the case .. It just seems like a lot of hassle. But everyone's different

Personally I do love my magnaflow comps but I understand they aren't for every one
Old 10-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #35
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonStang View Post
Alright I'm new to all of this and looking to get an exhaust! When you guys say the roush and borlas are loud are we talking? I have no problem with them being loud as hell as long as they sound good! But are they so loud that I'm going to piss off the neighbors every time I start my car? I'm looking at either the roush axle back or borla ataks, how much quieter are the borla tourings than the ataks? Are they still loud enough?
Saw a set of Roush axlebacks for sale. I bought them. The seller owned a 2011 convertable, and said they were too loud when the top was down. I went out for the first drive. Idle was nice, but that's where it ended for me. They were way too loud excellerating, and after only one hour of driving, off they came and I put the stock ones back on. Sold them three days later.

Don't know why FastFord13 thinks that if you disagree with his opinion, you are one sided, or placing "Another useless opinionated post". This topic of mufflers and sound comes up often, and I'll continue to offer my opinion.

For me, I'd prefer a nice rumble that allows me to wave at my neighbors, and get a wave back, rather than a scowl.

I'd also suggest you go to some local weekend car hangouts and listen first hand to the Mustangs exhaust note. No doubt the owners will fire them up so you can hear the idle, and off idle tunes. Then make your purchase.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang