hey I didnt know that - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
hey I didnt know that

For starters, it's a 60-degree engine, so it's narrow. It's also all-aluminum as far as the block (which uses cast-in iron cylinder liners), cylinder heads and covers. The forged crank is held in place by six-bolt main bearings, four down and two at right angles on the sides of the block-like a proper race engine.

A lightweight aluminum block shaves pounds and helps the V-6 achieve upwards of 30 mpg.

It uses four valves per cylinder and double-overhead camshafts, and not only that, the engine features what Ford calls Ti-VCT, variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust valves, a feature that allows a full 60 degrees of cam timing adjustment on the intake side and 50 degrees on the exhaust side, allowing the 3.7 to produce huge amounts of power, very clean emissions, a very smooth idle, and excellent fuel mileage all at the same time.
The Duratec 3.7 V-6 is actually what the engineers call a "mild Atkinson-cycle" engine, where the variable intake valve mechanism keeps the intake valve open much longer than in a standard engine for better mixing in the chamber, thus reduced pumping work and better fuel economy

Read more: 2011 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 Engine - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords
jon paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

This got poste in another thread, or maybe it was another site I saw it in...good reading in that link.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

yeah I really enjoyed knowing all that good stuff Ford did there home work on that motor , when I stand at the back you cant even hear the motor when its on ! just so smooth also looking at it you see a thing of beauty thin & well put together ! I found that article on line maybe some company will come out with a supercharger the type that bolts to the intake ..... that 3.7 is as good as it gets , has all the things that make for a good platform to build a race machine ... lets see what becomes of it they are talking about some other stuff in 2015 turbo 4 cyl , don't like turbos too hot & too much trouble well lets hope for the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

You can make easy HP and TQ with a turbo....BMW, VW, Audi, and others have been doing it for years with their 4 and 6 cylinder engines.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Like how it says it'll keep advancing spark till it hears knocks. And that using premium will help significantly. That eliminates a lot of those octane related threads.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

me I don't like turbos , too much heat too much plumbing never liked turbos in any form , yes they are fast like I said I had a Grand National & it was a fast machine ...... but they seem short lived & have lots of power but have there draw backs ......... car builders seem to have no problem sticking them any car 4 6 or 8 cylinder ? they give a real boost ! its just me , but they can power any car to really get them to pull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon paris View Post
me I don't like turbos , too much heat too much plumbing never liked turbos in any form , yes they are fast like I said I had a Grand National & it was a fast machine ...... but they seem short lived & have lots of power but have there draw backs ......... car builders seem to have no problem sticking them any car 4 6 or 8 cylinder ? they give a real boost ! its just me , but they can power any car to really get them to pull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They make an oiless turbo that can be bolted on in as little as an afternoon and comes with everything to do it minus the wrenches and ratchets. Puts the v6 at 450 hp at about 12 pound boost. It's 5,000 and better than a pro charger.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

They make an oiless turbo that can be bolted on in as little as an afternoon and comes with everything to do it minus the wrenches and ratchets. Puts the v6 at 450 hp at about 12 pound boost. It's 5,000 and better than a pro charger.
Lies!!!!! Jk im just bored
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Very interesting, can you tell me who produces the oiless turbo for the 3.7L V6? Since you mentioned it's better than a Procharger, I would really like to know. Thanks in advance.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I'm interested in this turbo. I'm pretty happy with my procharger making 497 rwhp on 10 lbs. if this turbo is better and is $5k I might look into it.
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
This got poste in another thread, or maybe it was another site I saw it in...good reading in that link.
Lol i posted it a few days ago

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

Havin a turbo cyclone would be rad as f. But i'd feel weird havin one, ive always felt superchargers belong on american muscle.
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
I'm interested in this turbo. I'm pretty happy with my procharger making 497 rwhp on 10 lbs. if this turbo is better and is $5k I might look into it.
Is it also true that on the pro charger, you're limited by bama to 4k rpm for safety reasons? Girl at a show was saying that she was limited only to 4k

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Very interesting, can you tell me who produces the oiless turbo for the 3.7L V6? Since you mentioned it's better than a Procharger, I would really like to know. Thanks in advance.
Limitless performance and fabrication in Houston Texas.

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
Lol i posted it a few days ago ---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ---------- Havin a turbo cyclone would be rad as f. But i'd feel weird havin one, ive always felt superchargers belong on american muscle.
Same here, but it's a twin screw or whipper or nothing.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Lol no whoever told you that has no clue what they are talking about at all. Boost is around 2 lbs at 4k rpm.
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

ok bama is dumb when considering FI.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
Lol no whoever told you that has no clue what they are talking about at all. Boost is around 2 lbs at 4k rpm.
The lady at the show had a 2011 with it and she couldn't get it to rev past 4k. I thought that was just strange.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The lady at the show had a 2011 with it and she couldn't get it to rev past 4k. I thought that was just strange.
the problem is the fact that she's a woman. lmao. I've never met a girl that could drive.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
the problem is the fact that she's a woman. lmao. I've never met a girl that could drive.
Much less with a pro charger.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Much less with a pro charger.
^haha
Old 11-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Well she might have been coming off a new engine rebuild and tune. I know when I'm breaking in my engine my limiter will be set around 4k just so I can't romp on it like I always do and am always tempted to do. At least until I get a decent beak in period done. Haha

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Wait, how can this turbo run 12 lbs of boost on a stock engine safely?
Taylorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

"Safely" is a relative term. For some people safe is not blowing up when you hit the gas. For others safely means going 120k miles. If your idea of safety is engine longevity obviously running a turbo at 12 psi is not the path to get there.

Like I said previously, if you want the least stressful way to make power the procharger Is it. Instead of hitting the engine block with 500 torque all at once at 4k rpm, which puts massive stress on the block, the procharger builds power linearly, with no spikes in boost because it is driven by a pulley. At 3500 rpm there is about 1-2 pounds of boost, engine torque is not much higher and therefore the block is not stressed like when engine torque is doubled at that rpm range as in a turbo.

By 5000 rpm there is about 5-6 pounds of boost and touching 7k you should see all 8 lbs. this is much less stressful on the engine
Old 11-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You should get out more then...
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish View Post
You should get out more then...
haha maybe. no offense. I just haven't met any girl that could drive
Old 11-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

No worries - some of us can out-drive guys and fly planes for fun in our spare time. Eventually one of us will show ya.

OP - interesting read on the V6 - I considered getting the V6 when I got mine..
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
haha maybe. no offense. I just haven't met any girl that could drive
Lmao I've seen my girl bang gears and leave guys 2 car lengths back...you need to get out more, or find a real girl lmao.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8pony View Post
Lmao I've seen my girl bang gears and leave guys 2 car lengths back...you need to get out more, or find a real girl lmao.
ok. chill out.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
ok. chill out.
Lol really? I'm chill...that post in no way was meant to be an insult toward you, just saying there's PLENTY of woman out there who can drive, and especially saying woman can't drive here, if you haven't noticed, there are PLENTY of woman members here, and if you haven't met a girl who can drive, than you just haven't met the right ones IMO...I apologize if I offended you in any way.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
"Safely" is a relative term. For some people safe is not blowing up when you hit the gas. For others safely means going 120k miles. If your idea of safety is engine longevity obviously running a turbo at 12 psi is not the path to get there. Like I said previously, if you want the least stressful way to make power the procharger Is it. Instead of hitting the engine block with 500 torque all at once at 4k rpm, which puts massive stress on the block, the procharger builds power linearly, with no spikes in boost because it is driven by a pulley. At 3500 rpm there is about 1-2 pounds of boost, engine torque is not much higher and therefore the block is not stressed like when engine torque is doubled at that rpm range as in a turbo. By 5000 rpm there is about 5-6 pounds of boost and touching 7k you should see all 8 lbs. this is much less stressful on the engine
I've heard that since superchargers are belt-driven, they also put extra strain on the engine. But I'm no expert, and I'm not saying you're wrong by any means. Personally I would prefer a turbo just "because" I like turbos more.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

If rather just forge the engine and not have to worry about 12 lbs of boost anyway.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #29
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Look up the new Procharger i-1, it's almost a turbo and supercharger combined

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

They don't put extra strain on it. They just take some hp from the engine to turn the pulley but the procharger is efficient enough that it is a very small amount. Bottom line is that you can easily make 450 rwhp and 360 rwtq with the procharger and be safe doing it.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
360rwtq? I keep seeing procharged cars running low 300's for torque. Is there any way to increase the torque?
grabberbluedrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorations View Post
Wait, how can this turbo run 12 lbs of boost on a stock engine safely?
Limitless performance and fabrications kit runs at 8 lbs of boost. If you're seriously interested ask clamphier
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

With a smaller pulley, a good tune, and bigger injectors that number is definetly possible. I've seen some dyno sheets with that much torque and than some are in the 320-340 rwtq range and those are usually on the procharger canned tune.

The torque isn't gonna matter to much when you make 400 rwhp from 5k rpm and with 3.73 gears you will always be above 5k rpm and therefore always in the boost zone.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
Limitless performance and fabrications kit runs at 8 lbs of boost. If you're seriously interested ask clamphier
Saving up now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang