13' V6 wanting to upgrade, need ideas - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #1

Region: Florida
13' V6 wanting to upgrade, need ideas

Hey y'all, this is my first post on here so help me out! I just got a 2013 3.7 v6 6 speed mustang and want to upgrade it a little after Christmas. I believe it to have exhaust on it being flow master tips but not sure 100%. I know to start off with the cold air intake just not sure which brand. K&n always stands out because of name but have heard good things about other brands also. I'm new to cars so don't know much about them always had jacked up trucks but I'm loving my stang! Any feedback would be great!
TDaniel41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If I knew your goals + budget, I can give much better advice.
Also, is it manual or auto? And are you willing to part with the warranty (if there is one)?

That said, a cold air intake is a fine start. You won't see huge gains, but it sounds and looks cool.
If you are willing to tune the car too, it can help you get a bit more power. I went with the Airraid, since it didn't need a tune, and it is pretty awesome. However, if I'd be down to tune, I would have definitely gone with the Steeda CAI; it is said to have better flow, and thus require a tune. And it looks cooler

In terms of power, the 3.7 prob benefits most from gears/tune/CAI. The potential from there on depends much on the budget.
In the handling department, an easy first step is a tower strut brace. It really should be stock and firms up the ride nicely. From there, the options are again endless, limited only by your budget... Lowering spring, suspension upgrades, etc etc.
On a similar note, upgrading the wheels/tires are a big one, especially if you're on the stock 17s right now.
kutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Do like your doing ""ASK ABOUT A MOD"""

Doing some research and asking about the million different mufflers and how they sound and fit should be a #1 issue when doing Mufflers. Same with CAI's and almost all other things you would want to do.
Do a search on this forum from the above control panel and read the posts on what you would want to know.
Muffler= some like them loud and obnoxious. Not me.
Some like a deep no drone rumble. That IS Me. ( Magnaflow streets)

Cold air intakes.= Some are going with a tuner. Not Me.
Some will probably never tune. That is me. (Airaid)

A good first mod is a oil catch can. I have the JLT because it comes complete with genuine Ford hoses and can be installed in less the 30 seconds. It is easy to check and empty. It wil save your engine from sludgging up internally. all of the oil catch cans do the same job so just pick one you like.

Go look at the American Muscle and C.J. Pony parts catalogs under "VENDORS" on the control panel above.

Owning A Mustang and getting the exact way you want it is fun and does cost $$$$.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Welcome!

As said above a CAI, tune and/or gears (depending on if this is your daily driver, weekend warrior, and whether or not you do a lot of city and highway driving) is a good start. As far as the tune goes, you can always talk to some local ford dealerships in the area and see what they say, some are more lenient than others in regards to tuning and other modifications. I would definitely read up on some other info regarding tuning and your warranty, you can learn on what the tune would effect regarding your warranty.

Gears will make the biggest difference, but for me the 2.73 gears the V6 comes with are good for me since I do a lot of highway driving compared to city driving and this is my DD. If you decide to change your gears that will most likely require a tune so keep that in mind.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDaniel41 View Post
Hey y'all, this is my first post on here so help me out! I just got a 2013 3.7 v6 6 speed mustang and want to upgrade it a little after Christmas. I believe it to have exhaust on it being flow master tips but not sure 100%. I know to start off with the cold air intake just not sure which brand. K&n always stands out because of name but have heard good things about other brands also. I'm new to cars so don't know much about them always had jacked up trucks but I'm loving my stang! Any feedback would be great!
Welcome to the forums! Congratulations on your Sixxer, that's really cool. Post up some pictures, we'd love to check it out!

It sounds like these guys have all pointed you in the right direction already. A CAI, Exhaust, Gears and a Custom tune is definitely a great place to start! For every Bama Tune we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique mods and style of driving. This info helps us write custom tunes from the ground-up for your Mustang's mods that will give you the most horsepower that we can safely deliver. We're also constantly developing our tunes! Between our 14 different Project Mustangs and tons of street/track and dyno testing (on our in-house Dynojet 224xLC), we're looking for any minor tweaks to be made that can benefit you guys.

The most beneficial mod out of this IMO is going to be the gears! This makes the biggest difference in acceleration and with the butt dyno, for sure.

I hope this helps. Hit me up if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future! If you have any questions, feel free to hit me up or give my CS team a call. They can be reached at the contact information in my signature!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #6

Region: Virginia
Dan, do you have an email I can use to contact you? I want to ask some questions about gears, pricing and installation? Thanks.
20143.7LV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first post and new mustang..Have you sent any goals of power for your pony yet? Respectfully, what type of budget do you have for the mods?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #8

I'm planning on between 5-7,000 over the next two years. Wish I could do it all at once but got to have money to eat!
Old 11-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #9

Tdoubled4111@gmail.com
Old 11-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #10

Here's the car
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	134825  
Old 11-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm planning on between 5-7,000 over the next two years. Wish I could do it all at once but got to have money to eat!
So out of that 5 to 7 thousand dollars how much money do you have at the current time to spend on modifications?
Old 11-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
So out of that 5 to 7 thousand dollars how much money do you have at the current time to spend on modifications?
Right now just little over 1 but after Christmas I should be in the 2-3 range
Old 11-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

good luck but the sad news is as far as the sound there is very little you can do ..... it will always sound like a 6 , as far as speed unless you go for gears , turbo or supercharger there is little more can help & you may ruin your warranty so give it lots of thought .... drive it enjoy it & maybe in a year or more you can go for the 8 cyl , I actually like the 3.7 its plenty fast for me & the MPG is great seems like the more miles I put the better the MPG gets , supercharged 3.7 can take the 8 watch the u tube on supercharged V6 it runs in the 12's but then you have that warranty issue so enjoy your car for now .........I did put strut brace & it helps with the handling
jon paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Right now just little over 1 but after Christmas I should be in the 2-3 range
Do you have a warranty on the vehicle? If so how important is it too you the warranty. I only ask because when you start doing power modifications you run the risk of canceling your warranty should a problem occur and need warranty work coverage
Old 11-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
if I could do it over again I woulda started with the procharger. I got full bolton with procharger on 10 lbs doing low 12s. fastest was 12 flat. don't underestimate the 6
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
if I could do it over again I woulda started with the procharger. I got full bolton with procharger on 10 lbs doing low 12s. fastest was 12 flat. don't underestimate the 6
You procharged a '13 V6? Can you please give details on install/costs? I haven't seen the supercharger for the '13-'14s yet
kutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #17
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20143.7LV6 View Post
Dan, do you have an email I can use to contact you? I want to ask some questions about gears, pricing and installation? Thanks.
Yes, please feel free to shoot me an email! I look forward to speaking with you.

dan[dot]bailer[at]americanmuscle[dot]com

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang