adding gt fog lamps without Starkey wiring harness - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
adding gt fog lamps without Starkey wiring harness

Im adding a GT grill and foglamps on my base v6. Any suggestions on wiring them up without using the harness? Its kind of expensive.
Warpdrive13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Starkey's harness is only ~$100 and it's a very nice harness that'll last, look factory, and has all of the thinking done for you. Of course if you want a factory and nice/convenient way to turn them on/off then you'll want the OEM switch too which I believe is the rest of the $90 ($190 total). Don't cheap out, I had this harness+OEM switch in my 06 V6 and it worked perfectly and looked factory.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Starkey's harness is only ~$100 and it's a very nice harness that'll last, look factory, and has all of the thinking done for you. Of course if you want a factory and nice/convenient way to turn them on/off then you'll want the OEM switch too which I believe is the rest of the $90 ($190 total). Don't cheap out, I had this harness+OEM switch in my 06 V6 and it worked perfectly and looked factory.
I highly recommend it. I'm no electrical guru and this was so simple. Give yourself 1 hour install to make it look clean under the hood. They give plenty of slack too. The switch is what makes it cost so much. That and it's plug and play. A conscience tax more or less. I got mine on sale from them for $184 to my door.
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 2013. I already have the headlight switch installed for the auto headlight feature. Do they sell the harness without the switch?
Old 11-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
JDR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
The Starkey wiring harness is actually 189.99
Mustang Fog Light Wiring & Switch Kit - Fits V6 and Boss 302 (2013-2014)

Plus you will need their H11 to LED bulb adaptors $49.99
Mustang Fog Light Converters H11 to LED Set (2013-2014) – Starkey Products

Yes it is VERY expensive but you get what you pay for. They make super high quality wiring harnesses. I have a background in automovive electronics and I can tell you they are second to none. Just like you, I added a GT upper w/ fog lights and the GT lower grille to my V6. I used the Starkey kit and highly recommend it. Don't ghetto wire your new car.

Here is an easy way to cut cost on the wiring harness. Buy their 3505-Refurb kit.
Mustang GT-Style LED Fog Light Kit - Fits V6 and Boss 302 (2013-2014)

Its the same price as buying the wiring harness and adapter PLUS you get another complete upper grille, lower grille and fog lights. Ebay those pieces to recover some cost. They are going for about $200. You'll come out of it with a complete wiring harness and switch for a fraction of the price.
JDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrive13 View Post
I have a 2013. I already have the headlight switch installed for the auto headlight feature.
Obviously. The GT switch will have an extra 'notch' for just the fog lights to come on. Otherwise, depending on how you custom-wire it, they'll always be on and it just won't work like OEM.

As far as I know, the switch is a Ford switch. You can buy it from a dealership or online probably for cheaper or maybe right at $90 (they don't make much money off of the switch last time I checked).
Old 11-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Obviously. The GT switch will have an extra 'notch' for just the fog lights to come on. Otherwise, depending on how you custom-wire it, they'll always be on and it just won't work like OEM.

As far as I know, the switch is a Ford switch. You can buy it from a dealership or online probably for cheaper or maybe right at $90 (they don't make much money off of the switch last time I checked).
My factory OEM switch has a "pull" to operate the fogs. The extra notch on the switch is for the automatic feature; a bonus with this switch, as the "eye" in the center of the dash is pre-wired. Headlights come on automatically when dark in this switch position.

As to the Starkey harness, get it. It's a quality piece, plug and play, and all factory look under the hood.

You get what you pay for. You bought a sweet Mustang, why "cheap out" on something like a wiring harness?
Old 11-07-2013, 05:23 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

You can get the ford switch online for $35.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Quote:
It is not $100 its $189 and without the switch it's $169 which hes going need to have. I just bought one and it's great I was able to get 10% off ag 169 so I paid 153.
RIstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
My factory OEM switch has a "pull" to operate the fogs. The extra notch on the switch is for the automatic feature; a bonus with this switch, as the "eye" in the center of the dash is pre-wired. Headlights come on automatically when dark in this switch position.

As to the Starkey harness, get it. It's a quality piece, plug and play, and all factory look under the hood.

You get what you pay for. You bought a sweet Mustang, why "cheap out" on something like a wiring harness?
You are correct, brain fart. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIstang View Post
It is not $100 its $189 and without the switch it's $169 which hes going need to have. I just bought one and it's great I was able to get 10% off ag 169 so I paid 153.
Ah at the time I bought my harness alone, it was $99.99 IIRC off of AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #11

Region: Virginia
I currently have 2013 v6 mustang with the fog lights. Do I need to install a new wiring harness or can I just simply buy a bulb converter (H11 to LED or H10) and connect to GT fog lights?
jnj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj99 View Post
I currently have 2013 v6 mustang with the fog lights. Do I need to install a new wiring harness or can I just simply buy a bulb converter (H11 to LED or H10) and connect to GT fog lights?
Just get the new harness my understanding there noway but doing that!
RIstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I swapped v6 bumper to gt bumper had to clip the harness mounts to get them to reach and I did the Starkey adapters and it works great

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan100 View Post
I swapped v6 bumper to gt bumper had to clip the harness mounts to get them to reach and I did the Starkey adapters and it works great

so that means you had fog lights for your v6 and bought a fog light converter and connected to GT fog lights? I don't have to buy wiring harness (costs $190) to connect GT fog lights right? since I already have fog lights for my v6. Sorry, I have bad understanding..
Old 01-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I had fog lights already. Had to buy the $30 h11 to h10 adapter that was all I needed.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #16

Quote:
I had fog lights already. Had to buy the $30 h11 to h10 adapter that was all I needed.

Thanks a lot. I'm trying to buy "Raxiom Smoked Fog Lights - CCFL Halo (13-14 GT)" and should I buy converter for H11 to H10 or H11 to LED? I guess I should go with H11 to LED since that fog lights are LED's??

Fog lights- Raxiom Smoked Mustang Fog Lights - CCFL Halo 49177 (13-14 GT) - Free Shipping 49177
Old 01-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
so that means you had fog lights for your v6 and bought a fog light converter and connected to GT fog lights? I don't have to buy wiring harness (costs $190) to connect GT fog lights right? since I already have fog lights for my v6. Sorry, I have bad understanding..
I had Fogs on my V6, if you have the same you don't need the kit with the switch then, just the extender adapter cables, this is not something to cheap out on. Use the Starkey's product like I did, its the best and the best.

This is the product I bought as it had everything I needed at one source:
Mustang GT-Style Fog Light Conversion Kit - Fits V6 and GT/CS (2013-2014)

If you already have a GT grill and fogs, you will need a GT surround to replace your V6 chrome one unless you have like a CS or Pony Pak that does not have the chrome surround.

Call Starkey and ask him what exactly you need based on what you already have. Its your best solution and you wont find a cheaper way out without your own fabrication Frankly or Sherly
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks a lot. I'm trying to buy "Raxiom Smoked Fog Lights - CCFL Halo (13-14 GT)" from American Muscle and should I buy converter with H11 to H10 or H11 to LED? I guess I should go with H11 to LED, since that fog lights are LED's?
If you have a 2010 to 12 get h11 to h10 if you have a 13 get h11 to led

Old 01-04-2014, 02:42 AM   #19

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via Skype™ to Chaseh504
Quote:

I have a 2011 V6 premium and I scuffed my front bumper and wanted to get the gt bumper and either hidden fog lights or get the Roush front fascia with the Roush billet grille... Anyways, what all did you do to switch over?
Chaseh504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #21
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Find out what fogs the Roush setup uses...H11's or H10 bulb types.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via Skype™ to Chaseh504
Quote:
Find out what fogs the Roush setup uses...H11's or H10 bulb types.
it is H10 bulbs
Chaseh504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #23

I have a quick question. Sorry, this might be a silly question. My story is I'm changing my mustang v6 grille to GT grille that contains fog lights. I found out that there should be a some kind of bracket(?) to hold the fog lamps. I attached the picture to make you understand easier. I'm pretty sure I don't have that bracket because mine is v6 grille. So my question is do I have to have that bracket when I'm installing new GT fog lights? If yes, what is the name for that bracket and where should I get it? OR does v6 already has that bracket?

If you can't see the picture, here is the link:
(5:38)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang.png
Views:	254
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	145218  
Old 01-22-2014, 12:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
I had Fogs on my V6, if you have the same you don't need the kit with the switch then, just the extender adapter cables, this is not something to cheap out on. Use the Starkey's product like I did, its the best and the best.

If you already have a GT grill and fogs, you will need a GT surround to replace your V6 chrome one unless you have like a CS or Pony Pak that does not have the chrome surround.

Call Starkey and ask him what exactly you need based on what you already have. Its your best solution and you wont find a cheaper way out without your own fabrication Frankly or Sherly
When installing a new GT grille, did you use v6 grille bracket or did u buy the bracket separately? The reason I'm asking is I don't have GT bracket to hold the fog lamps. I saw in youtube that GT has some bracket to hold the fogs and I'm wondering if I need a new GT bracket to hold the fogs b/c mine is v6 bracket and probably not same with GT bracket. I already got grille, grille surrounded, and fogs.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:16 AM   #25
Admin

Supporter
Admin

If you buy the factory GT grill, the factory fog lamps are bolted to the factory grill with 3 screws on each side, into three mountong bosses molded into the factory grill. No "brackets required. If this is some sort of aftermarket grill, then it's best to contact the maker of that grill.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Just the get the Starkey harness. It's a seriously well made piece, and makes wiring up the fog lights a snap. Spending half a weekend trying to figure out how to make up the harness isn't worth saving $50 or whatever over buying the professionally made part.

I found their customer service extremely helpful too, email or call them and tell them what you want and they'll either have it or they'll make it.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
If you buy the factory GT grill, the factory fog lamps are bolted to the factory grill with 3 screws on each side, into three mountong bosses molded into the factory grill. No "brackets required. If this is some sort of aftermarket grill, then it's best to contact the maker of that grill.
This is probably true for the 10-12 stangs.

But in the 13-14, the brackets are attached to the bumper cover or the radiator housing. not the grille. So when you remove the bumper cover the grille comes off but the GT fog lights are separate from the grille.

If you look through your grille with a flash light, you'll see two black brackets "bars" about 5 inches from the edge of the grille with 1 or 2 holes visible. That's where the GT fog lights will attach.

I installed the GT fog lights on my 14 v6 a while ago. I still have them there but i went back to my regular fog lights since i liked them more.
I'll be removing them later.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

when i bought the GT center grille i kept my original chrome surround grille. and it fit perfectly and i don't think i have the pony package.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBulldog View Post
when i bought the GT center grille i kept my original chrome surround grille. and it fit perfectly and i don't think i have the pony package.
Interesting...[Spock like Eye-Brow movements]

Almost everybody with a chrome surround has said they needed the GT surround; and even AM had to retract a posting on their catalog about a Boss Grill fitting a V6 (as they didn't sell the surround). Many Grill sellers say you must have the GT surround.

So things seem not totally congruent here, [Spock would mutter Illogical whisper] Then again this is Automotive Parts and such have been fooling us for decades on differences

Oh, perhaps it truly is only needed for the Boss grill? But either way I would want the chrome surround blacked out, like the CS/Pony paks are.

Mustang GT Grille Surround - Fits All (2013-2014) - Starkey Products
Old 01-26-2014, 04:57 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Interesting...[Spock like Eye-Brow movements]

Almost everybody with a chrome surround has said they needed the GT surround; and even AM had to retract a posting on their catalog about a Boss Grill fitting a V6 (as they didn't sell the surround). Many Grill sellers say you must have the GT surround.

So things seem not totally congruent here, [Spock would mutter Illogical whisper] Then again this is Automotive Parts and such have been fooling us for decades on differences

Oh, perhaps it truly is only needed for the Boss grill? But either way I would want the chrome surround blacked out, like the CS/Pony paks are.

Mustang GT Grille Surround - Fits All (2013-2014) - Starkey Products
maybe the factory gave me a gt surround? lol. idk. I just dipped my surround grille black so no need for it either.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
maybe the factory gave me a gt surround? lol. idk. I just dipped my surround grille black so no need for it either.
It quite likely also I might as been given misinformation LOL, this is the Auto parts business after all
Old 01-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

There may be one Hypothesis on this. They may be saying you need the GT surround instead of the V6 one in that if you don't, you will have this un-natural looking combination that the buyer was not looking for.

Not everyone can take that situation in their own hands and black-out the surround part themselves. Thanks for the input on your conversion, it helps add more data points to the conversion process documentation.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There may be one Hypothesis on this. They may be saying you need the GT surround instead of the V6 one in that if you don't, you will have this un-natural looking combination that the buyer was not looking for.

Not everyone can take that situation in their own hands and black-out the surround part themselves. Thanks for the input on your conversion, it helps add more data points to the conversion process documentation.
i thought it looked normal lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ihz9.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	145958  
Old 01-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i thought it looked normal lol.
Yes that does look normal, and frankly with the car's paint and graphics its Super Kewl™, but you said you blacked it out yourself with dip?

Art
Old 01-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes that does look normal, and frankly with the car's paint and graphics its Super Kewl™, but you said you blacked it out yourself with dip?

Art
yup, plasti dip, black for the surrounding chrome, and gray for the pony and fog light surrounds.

Pretty easy to do also.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang