THROTTLE RESPONSE - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #1

Region: Illinois
THROTTLE RESPONSE

on my '12- v6 rag with automatic trans
i noticed lag on initial launch from a dead stop
i know its throttle fly by wire and electronic trans
it feel dangerous when you want to get into traffic
you floor the pedal and the car does nothing for a second
then surges

???
79stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Is it that long that it seems dangerous?

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I believe that's how they are with stock tune, I have my fathers 2012 F250 for the next 2 weeks, and the thing has some balls to it, but there's def a very long initial lag when you punch the pedal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Mine did that a little before I installed the CAI

From a dead stop with an automatic you can't just floor it anyway. You can smoothly add gas fast and will not have that problem. Not only Mustangs but all brands of cars have this quirk. My friends 2013 Camaro is way worse then my Mustang ever was. I installed the AirAid CAI and the throttle response is much better but more noticeable when driving and giving it more gas.It was terrible before the CAI was installed. I'm guessing it is probably some stupid Govt. Mandate on the Auto Company's for safety or something.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Good tune should fix it
Old 11-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I think even with the best tune it won't fix.

I think a car with the automatic can not be floored from a complete dead stop even with a good tune. But with a tune you can probably get the RPM's up and then floor it.When I ran mine at the drags I just went easy 1/4 throttle before mashing it. I have no tune. I did a 13.3 quarter with this procedure.

Now we can all hear how great a manual transmission is which has absolutely nothing to do with this post.

79stang said:
Quote:
then surges

???
Once you learn how to use the Automatic transmission all of the complete stop takeoff problems go away.
Ronnie
Old 11-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8pony View Post
I believe that's how they are with stock tune, I have my fathers 2012 F250 for the next 2 weeks, and the thing has some balls to it, but there's def a very long initial lag when you punch the pedal
+1 I took my cousins to prom last year and it was stock with mini max programmer and sob surprised me it was fun

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
That throttle response issue is easily fixed with a performance tuner. if not, the poor delayed throttle response you will have to live with.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79stang View Post
on my '12- v6 rag with automatic trans i noticed lag on initial launch from a dead stop i know its throttle fly by wire and electronic trans it feel dangerous when you want to get into traffic you floor the pedal and the car does nothing for a second then surges ???
I thought i was the only person with this problem like it happens to me in second gear when im on the highway auto trans my second gear has somewhat of a lag then u have an immediate power surge can this be fixed with a tune ??????
Ghoststang18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoststang18 View Post
I thought i was the only person with this problem like it happens to me in second gear when im on the highway auto trans my second gear has somewhat of a lag then u have an immediate power surge can this be fixed with a tune ??????
Well all could be avoided If you got a manual, lmao jk jk Ronnie just playing lol...yes a tune should fix that right up ghoststang
Old 11-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

A performance tune will fix this issue and many more benefits in having a tune. The throttle response is poor from factory with automatics and a tune from Bama, MPT, Steeda, etc is a world of difference.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8pony View Post
Well all could be avoided If you got a manual, lmao jk jk Ronnie just playing lol...yes a tune should fix that right up ghoststang
Ight thanks bro good looking out
Old 11-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Anytime brotha
Old 11-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm a huge advocate for getting a performance tuner and all the benefits of them but please understand when one tunes their car , they run the risk of loosing warranty coverage on items that should fail. I'm not saying its a guarantee but highly likely a dealership will deny you coverage for warranty repairs if there is a tune on the car. Regardless if the tune caused the part or parts to fail. Dealerships and mechanics hate warranty repairs so any reason the dealerships can find to void the warranty, most likely they will try and do so.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
A performance tune will fix this issue and many more benefits in having a tune. The throttle response is poor from factory with automatics and a tune from Bama, MPT, Steeda, etc is a world of difference.
Thanks guys for the help v8 pony and kona wats the better tune though bama or one of the others
Old 11-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks guys for the help v8 pony and kona wats the better tune though bama or one of the others
Well, lol. I actually have Steeda, MPT and Bama tunes in my performance tuner. All three are top notch companies. My MPT tune did produce the most rwhp of all three tunes although Bama and Steeda were not far behind. Since your beginning to mod I would recommend starting out with Bama or Steeda. They both have free tunes for life of your current pony and will make you new tunes has often as you want for life. MPT does not have a free tunes for life program but there 75 dollar charge for a tune is great. The MPT tune is a freaking beast. MPT does give you six months of revisions to the tune.

Here are my rwhp and torque numbers from the dyno jet using all three tunes which were 91 Octane.

Click image for larger version

Name:	N_uN002qKzN32kNSvnI2ZMODaHfib4r1Q2n2-K_tzfo.png
Views:	349
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	135657
Old 11-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #17
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Try this...

My 2005 Ford F150 had this problem. I found out that by turning the key to the "on" position (did not start it), and slowly pressing the drive by wire pedal (formally known as the gas pedal), and releasing it, the PCM "learned" the readings from the potometer (variable resister on the side of the throttle body). Then starting the truck, the lag was gone. Try two cycles of this before you turn the key off, then start the engine.

Not sure if our newer Mustangs have this "re-learn" feature though. Would not hurt to try it.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79stang View Post
on my '12- v6 rag with automatic trans i noticed lag on initial launch from a dead stop i know its throttle fly by wire and electronic trans it feel dangerous when you want to get into traffic you floor the pedal and the car does nothing for a second then surges ???
Had the same problem my friend. Tried to get out in traffic and I have half throttle. The torque converter rolled the car into the road and it shot up to 2k rpm and then when I saw a truck 25 feet from me, it decided to give power. Too scary. I just installed a tune on my car. A 87 street tune by bama. Fixes the shifts and gave me power on demand.

What is it is the skip shift. At idle it's in 2nd. Then when given gas it goes to 1st then back up to second to save gas. I disabled this feature and it's been the funniest car I've ever driven. Even better than my old manual v6.

Pull fuse 47 from the fuse box under the engine for 10 minutes and reinsert it. It helps relearn shift parameters. I did this about every 2 months before my tune. A cold air intake or throttle body will also help tremendously with this problem.

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

Quote:
I'm a huge advocate for getting a performance tuner and all the benefits of them but please understand when one tunes their car , they run the risk of loosing warranty coverage on items that should fail. I'm not saying its a guarantee but highly likely a dealership will deny you coverage for warranty repairs if there is a tune on the car. Regardless if the tune caused the part or parts to fail. Dealerships and mechanics hate warranty repairs so any reason the dealerships can find to void the warranty, most likely they will try and do so.
Lol after 36,000 miles. Who cares! I now have 82,000 on mine and bought it with 25K on it. It's a 2011 too. I just tuned it and man does that trans shift harder and better.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

Had the same problem my friend. Tried to get out in traffic and I have half throttle. The torque converter rolled the car into the road and it shot up to 2k rpm and then when I saw a truck 25 feet from me, it decided to give power. Too scary. I just installed a tune on my car. A 87 street tune by bama. Fixes the shifts and gave me power on demand.

What is it is the skip shift. At idle it's in 2nd. Then when given gas it goes to 1st then back up to second to save gas. I disabled this feature and it's been the funniest car I've ever driven. Even better than my old manual v6.

Pull fuse 47 from the fuse box under the engine for 10 minutes and reinsert it. It helps relearn shift parameters. I did this about every 2 months before my tune. A cold air intake or throttle body will also help tremendously with this problem.

^ what he said. Especially about the skip shift. It sucks ! Lol! Once you drive a tuned mustang factory settings will never due. Even the 5.0 automatic I test drove , the factory shift points were very disappointing as well as the throttle delay. Tune is a must!
Old 11-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I have a bama tune. You can get the tuner cheaper through them at $352.17. Ask for the discount and have 50 posts. The tuner now holds 10 tunes so I thought I would collect. You can't beat bama and the tunes for life. Many say MPT for hp but if you're like me, you commute the car and just want that little extra to tie in your bolt on mods. I run bama's 87S tune and so far I've saved gas, got better torque, no more wierd transmission problems, and especially no more lag. I asked bama to give me 0 lag and boy do they deliver. Especially for their mildest of tunes.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have a bama tune. You can get the tuner cheaper through them at $352.17. Ask for the discount and have 50 posts. The tuner now holds 10 tunes so I thought I would collect. You can't beat bama and the tunes for life. Many say MPT for hp but if you're like me, you commute the car and just want that little extra to tie in your bolt on mods. I run bama's 87S tune and so far I've saved gas, got better torque, no more wierd transmission problems, and especially no more lag. I asked bama to give me 0 lag and boy do they deliver. Especially for their mildest of tunes.
I would second that on Bama but also don't count Steeda out. They have good customer service, free tunes for life program as well along with solid comparable performance gains. Steeda knows what there doing, tune many Fords specialty vehicles and has a close working relationship with Ford and mustangs.

Either Steeda or Bama are a winner but for 75 dollars I would get a MPT tune as well to store in one of the 10 slots because it is a great powerful tune. Good to have MPT tune in your back pocket should you want a little more get up and go but Bama and Steeda certainly delivery safe powerful HP and torque gains.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

+1 on the tuner. The power band from 1k -redline is incredibly smooth! With the factory tune it sometime felt a little choppy, not with a bama tune. But yes talk to your local dealer and see where they stand on tuning, but like kona said there's always a risk. But look at it this way, if you hit the rev limiter every once in a while and something goes (major failure) that dealer can also deny you warranty work (abuse). Let's face it we all drive Stang's and push them.....technically its merit for warranty denial also so..........
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Try this, while in park, put your foot on the break and hold it, hold down your auto traction button until it says "auto trac off." That might give you a better throttle response.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I had a 2012 ford focus rental and noticed the throttle response was garbage! At a stop I could quickly tap the gas to the floor and release it and the car wouldn't move at all. F'up! I don't get that in my manual. Needless to say that car suffered a beating! Lol.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I think Stang79 is asking this::::::

Quote:
then surges

???
I think he is talking normal driving like at the stop at an entrance ramp and wants to floor it to get into the traffic stream. When he mashes the pedal it has a lag.Then goes full throttle on him.

I can't tell him if a tune would let you just mash the gas on a car with the automatic because I do not have a tune. My procedure is to just go slow on the throttle about 1/4 travel then put it down fast after the car is moving. It works and get to be second nature when a quick start is wanted.

Can anyone with a tune tell us if you can just mash the gas and go without holding the brake or pretending you are drag racing?

Fast Ford said"
Quote:
I don't get that in my manual.
Of course you don't, You have the clutch disengaged. Try sitting still and sliding your foot off the clutch without giving the car more gas and watch what happens. The car will stall. I'm thinking that is what happens to the automatic when the RPM's are to low for the transmission. Once you get the car going in first , Then you can mash the throttle and just plain go. Kind of like giving a manual some gas to get going.

Ronnie
Old 11-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I think he is talking normal driving like at the stop at an entrance ramp and wants to floor it to get into the traffic stream. When he mashes the pedal it has a lag.Then goes full throttle on him. I can't tell him if a tune would let you just mash the gas on a car with the automatic because I do not have a tune. My procedure is to just go slow on the throttle about 1/4 travel then put it down fast after the car is moving. It works and get to be second nature when a quick start is wanted. Can anyone with a tune tell us if you can just mash the gas and go without holding the brake or pretending you are drag racing? Fast Ford said" Of course you don't, You have the clutch disengaged. Try sitting still and sliding your foot off the clutch without giving the car more gas and watch what happens. The car will stall. I'm thinking that is what happens to the automatic when the RPM's are to low for the transmission. Once you get the car going in first , Then you can mash the throttle and just plain go. Kind of like giving a manual some gas to get going. Ronnie
Even on my 87 street tune. The torque curve is reworked so it's just a press down and go. The shift points are different too. I can know go to nearly 4k in second gear after the skip shift crap got through rearranging my power band.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Even on my 87 street tune. The torque curve is reworked so it's just a press down and go. The shift points are different too. I can know go to nearly 4k in second gear after the skip shift crap got through rearranging my power band.
How does the skip shift work on the autos? I hear a lot of you guys talking about how much y'all don't like it.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #28
JDM
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
How does the skip shift work on the autos? I hear a lot of you guys talking about how much y'all don't like it.
I don't think skipshift applies to automatics.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post

I don't think skipshift applies to automatics.
I thought it was an automatic thingy......Does anyone know if it was removed in the 13' models because I've never experienced this. Ok let me re-phrase my question, what is skip shift, in what trannys and what years. Sorry lol.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The skip shift in a GT literally skips the gears. Goes from 2-1-2-4.

In a v6 it goes 2-1-2-345-6.

It makes the trans shift into a higher gear for fuel economy like a manual but it's flawed when you need power it won't deliver.

My tuner now starts the car in 1st. I think that's the biggest acceleration difference right there. And instead of it shifting randomly at those odd cruising speeds, it stays in the gear. I never get out of 4th around town. But used to it would cruise in 6th and sometimes shift to 5 for literally no good reason. And my shifts are hard from first to second but almost non existent from 2 on. I suspect this is because the trans did a lot of the 1-2 2-1 shifting and wore something down.

Also if you do a rolling stop and get back on the gas it used to spike the rpm a few hundred then buck forward and go. Now it's smooth. And when I stopped you would feel it shift down to 1st then when stopped you would hear it clunk into 2nd. No more of that clunk and drivetrain noises. I bought the tuner to fix my transmission, not power.

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

Quote:
I thought it was an automatic thingy......Does anyone know if it was removed in the 13' models because I've never experienced this. Ok let me re-phrase my question, what is skip shift, in what trannys and what years. Sorry lol.
In every 2011-2014 automatic. GT literally skips gears while the v6 just shifts every couple of seconds to save fuel.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The skip shift in a GT literally skips the gears. Goes from 2-1-2-4.

In a v6 it goes 2-1-2-345-6.

It makes the trans shift into a higher gear for fuel economy like a manual but it's flawed when you need power it won't deliver.

My tuner now starts the car in 1st. I think that's the biggest acceleration difference right there. And instead of it shifting randomly at those odd cruising speeds, it stays in the gear. I never get out of 4th around town. But used to it would cruise in 6th and sometimes shift to 5 for literally no good reason. And my shifts are hard from first to second but almost non existent from 2 on. I suspect this is because the trans did a lot of the 1-2 2-1 shifting and wore something down.

Also if you do a rolling stop and get back on the gas it used to spike the rpm a few hundred then buck forward and go. Now it's smooth. And when I stopped you would feel it shift down to 1st then when stopped you would hear it clunk into 2nd. No more of that clunk and drivetrain noises. I bought the tuner to fix my transmission, not power.

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

In every 2011-2014 automatic. GT literally skips gears while the v6 just shifts every couple of seconds to save fuel.
Excellent explanation white, thanks for that! I can now see why that bothered a lot of people.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

According to my 2012 Ford manual

The skip shift is only on the V8 Manual transmissions only. PAGE 225 It seems all of the automatics are the same. Transmission information starts on page 221.

It does say on the automatics that when you take your foot off of the accelerator the clutches in the transmission lock up to allow the transmission to slow the car down.

I'm happy to hear that a tune tightens up the shift points but as far as just mashing down the throttle from a dead stop It just won't lock up until the car is moving and the RPM's get up a little. I have no problem just giving it a little throttle and mash it down after the car is moving. I can break the wheels loose with this procedure unless I drop rear tire pressure.

My Corvette and my 3000GT as well as this Mustang automatics all worked the same.
I could not just floor any of these cars from a total dead stop and have them just go like I wanted them to. I learned how to do the procedure and I just automaticly use it if I want to shoot off as fast as I need to.

I'm talking 2012 and I think some things were changed in 2013. Someone look in their 2013 manual and see what it say's.

Ronnie
Old 11-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I'm liking my v6 manual more and more! Lol. Glad you guys explained it.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #34

Region: Illinois
I thank you all for the info
it gives me insight on the idea of fly by wire and its parameters
you guys are the best !
79stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Even the manual seemed to lagg more than my 99 manual. I just test drove a 12 yesterday an it seemed slower to accelerate then my stang. I also have a tune on my 99 so I will assume that's why. It felt so weird for the throttle to not respond as fast as I'm used to lol.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang