Time for a new Mod - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Time for a new Mod

I'm probably going to go with some shorty headers. I want to do the install myself. The driver side one looks easy enough to access from the top once I break the bolts loose. My question is just how difficult is the passenger side one. That's really a tight space. I figured at that point I will have to drop my mid pipe to get it out. Do anyone one know of any tricks to make that install a little less painless. I'm really not trying to pay shop prices for the install since I'm going to spend the extra $100 for ceramic coated ones
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
Get long tubes
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

That's really expensive since there's admission testing in my city. So the cats will have to stay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Sad Panda
Staff

That's stinks
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
I'm probably going to go with some shorty headers. I want to do the install myself. The driver side one looks easy enough to access from the top once I break the bolts loose. My question is just how difficult is the passenger side one. That's really a tight space. I figured at that point I will have to drop my mid pipe to get it out. Do anyone one know of any tricks to make that install a little less painless. I'm really not trying to pay shop prices for the install since I'm going to spend the extra $100 for ceramic coated ones
You don't have to completely drop the mid pipe. Just unbolt them and let them hang. Driver side is pretty simple. Don't be surprised if the studs come out along with the nuts. Lol. Just take them apart and put the studs back in. The passenger side is just a pain and will just take longer. Take your time an it can be done. And if you can lift your car to get under it will be a great help. There is a thread here with a link to a tool that might make the tighting the bolts and loosening them a lot easier. I'll look for it.

Found it! http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009VF...f_=cm_sw_su_dp
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks
Old 11-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
BUY THAT TOOL
Old 11-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Honestly call some shops around your area and get the cheapest quote. $150-250 is a fair price. I just installed these sunday and I wouldn't do a header install again..it's a PAIN! it took us about 6 or 7 hours.. We didn't have that tool though, so unless that makes it 100x easier take it to a shop.
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
If I may ask, why was it a pain? Just time consuming to remove the intake to get to the passenger side, but again, that's just time.

What was the pain part?
Old 11-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
If I may ask, why was it a pain? Just time consuming to remove the intake to get to the passenger side, but again, that's just time. What was the pain part?
Well my pain was that it was hard to get the the damn stud nuts to tighten them down. As plus all my studs an nut came out. It was a pain but I knew it was doable.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbullet2012 View Post
Well my pain was that it was hard to get the the damn stud nuts to tighten them down. As plus all my studs an nut came out. It was a pain but I knew it was doable.
+1..It's hard to tighten the bottom bolts, very small space on the passenger side, some of the studs come out of the block, etc. I'ts completely do-able if you dont mind spending a good 6 hours doing it, and down here in Texas even in november the humidity sucks, so it makes keeping a grip hard when you're sweaty. I wouldn't mind paying someone now that I have done it myself.
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
CVH
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Get this tool, and be sure to put on all the bottom bolts on before you torque down. The bolt will not go on #6 on passenger side if you don't do this. I bought this tool a couple months after install to re-torque the bolts, which only took me 10-15 mins. Here is a short vid of the tool:
Laser - 3888 Ratchet Ring Spanner - T-Handle - 13mm
http://amzn.com/B009VFRT6S
edit: I was tipped to torque them down while heat cycled. May be more of a pain, but worth it.
CVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's really expensive since there's admission testing in my city. So the cats will have to stay
My Long Tubes with Catted Xpipe passes emisions
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Someone said on here that he had long tube headers and his buddy with the same exact set up, but shorties was faster off the mark than him. So I see no need to replace my mid pipe when I don't have to
Old 11-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I remember seeing that. I think he said the shorties got off the line faster and was ahead of him till high speeds when the long tubes started eating and caught up
Old 11-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
It was well worth the money to have someone else install my shorties.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang