Wet VS Dry Nitrous Oxide setup - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Cool Wet VS Dry Nitrous Oxide setup

Hey guys im putting a nitrous oxide setup in my 2014 v6, 3.7 and im concerned about the saftey of my car. It is on a lease, i know my warranty is voided i don't care im buying it out at the end. The main concern I have is wether its safer to go dry or wet kit. I have done alot of homework on Nitrous and from what i can see if not set up properly, both can be dangerous. Fortunate for me I have a guy who specializes in this stuff but im looking for second opinions. If you have Nitrous leme know your experience and if your **** as blown up I wana know why and what kit you used. My two choices right now are a "Gym Bag System" Dry kit, or a Wet kit. Im looking to spray a 75 shot, nothing crazy because I want to ensure the life of my engine, and or Intake manifold. Appreciate it guys all advice is welcome from people with experience.

Current Mods:
3.73 Gears
Intake
Tune

Mods to go:
Throttle Body
Full exhaust
Strong Driveshaft
MGK Short throw
Wider wheels and better grade tires.
Butsweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Send rapinator126 a PM, the guy knows a ton about nitrous
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
+1 on what he said ^

Most people usually do a wet kit though.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Well wet mixes with gas so if you are not dialed in right it will create a much bigger explosion. Both are safe if they are set up and dialed in right. Both are nasty if they backfire due to improper setup. I would stay dry personally because it is easier to install and tune. Dry is also cheaper. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend, what your HP goals are and if you have somewhere to have the car setup and tuned properly. Dyno tune it. If anyone doesnt want to dyno it and says it will be fine dont do it. Dial it in and get it right.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

appreciate the info fellas I did send in a PM to the guy you suggested, also as far as dyno tuning it I have a guy who can do it hes got a lot of exp with nitrous, his nickname ive heard is actually "nitrous Pete" and hes a dealer for a couple companys like Compucar, NOS, and one other one i forget. I feel safe with him hes done good work to my car before but of course like I said my concerns are safety, my new car blowing up is not an option, Ive also taken the initiative to obtain a controller and a bottle heater to further improve safety.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
With a dry system you are relying upon the computer to recognize the added oxygen and send more fuel through the injectors. I prefer the wet system and adding the fuel at the same time as the nitrous; just seems safer to me and is what Lidio suggested on my 2006 for safety.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

With a dry system the nozzle placement is also very important. You would want it to feed into the intake as direct as possible. If the nos when sprayed has to fight with air intake turbulence iit will throw the mixture off nearly every time and that could lead to backfires and inconsistent response. If you are going dry a throttle body plate injection work really well but are more expensive than the shark nozzle system. Just be sure your installer (or you) chooses the best spot if going with the nozzle type. Jim is correct on the wet system but the computer controls air intake and regardless the tune would be dialed in for the nitrous mix. The key is to have the mix to be the same every time. A wet system is superior for that. If you went dry the Nozzle would be after the maf.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Send rapinator126 a PM, the guy knows a ton about nitrous
Apparently rapinator126 is the man on nitrous. After speaking with him on forums here, he is a huge fan of nitrous and is highly knowledgeable about it. I'm sure he will chime in here soon. Lol

I'm assuming you do a good bit of track racing which is why you want a nitrous system?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d
With a dry system the nozzle placement is also very important. You would want it to feed into the intake as direct as possible. If the nos when sprayed has to fight with air intake turbulence iit will throw the mixture off nearly every time and that could lead to backfires and inconsistent response. If you are going dry a throttle body plate injection work really well but are more expensive than the shark nozzle system. Just be sure your installer (or you) chooses the best spot if going with the nozzle type. Jim is correct on the wet system but the computer controls air intake and regardless the tune would be dialed in for the nitrous mix. The key is to have the mix to be the same every time. A wet system is superior for that. If you went dry the Nozzle would be after the maf.
I've always ran dry kits before the maf. Wet kits after. Either way I highly recommend dyno time to get it dialed in properly.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I've always ran dry kits before the maf. Wet kits after. Either way I highly recommend dyno time to get it dialed in properly.
Depends on the setup I guess you dont want to run lean. I havent seen it run before but I am sure it is possible because you have had that setup.

The MAF doesn't add fuel based on measuring the extra oxygen from the nitrous. You either need to either run a complete system which adds fuel by shutting off the return line, increasing fuel pressure, or you need to run a wet kit that adds fuel itself.

Wait for the nitrous guru to get here or PM him. Keep us posted.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

yup i pmed him but if any other gurus wana post up on here feel free, tbh im looking for a justification to run a dry kit lol but if its not safe i definitely wont, but as far as my knowledge goes from researching both are equally dangerous but both can be safe if set up properly

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
nitrous