Tuner & Auto Trans - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Tuner & Auto Trans

There have been numerous threads re tuner/auto trans. Recent one addresses throttle/accel lag.
If a tune eliminates the 1-2-1 shift is that not the same as using sport mode?
Also tuned - what is the effect on the sport mode?

Am considering getting a tune from AM for the spring (car currently stored for winter) what should be my requirements or directions to them. Would greatly appreciate comments and recommendations.

Thanks...............
Deep Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
I loaded the 93 race tune and the only difference I have noticed between normal shift and sport is that sport has no 6th gear which is how it comes from Ford. My 93 race tune does shift smoother than the 93 street.

What is the 1-2-1 shift?
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I really don't know anything about a 1-2-1 shift

My 2012 3.7 Automatic just starts off in first and then goes to second and then third on up. That is when taking off fast.

If I just mosey off slow it goes into second just after moving and then third on up and keeps the RPM's down low.

On the 2012 manual there is nothing said about a 1-2-1 shift pattern. Something may have changed for the 2013's and 2014's though

I have absolutely NO complaints about my automatic. It seems to work very well at just driving around or getting it on.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Impact View Post
There have been numerous threads re tuner/auto trans. Recent one addresses throttle/accel lag.
If a tune eliminates the 1-2-1 shift is that not the same as using sport mode?
Also tuned - what is the effect on the sport mode?

Am considering getting a tune from AM for the spring (car currently stored for winter) what should be my requirements or directions to them. Would greatly appreciate comments and recommendations.

Thanks...............
In the auto focus I rented it was more of a 2-1-2 from a stop. Not a fan!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
I loaded the 93 race tune and the only difference I have noticed between normal shift and sport is that sport has no 6th gear which is how it comes from Ford. My 93 race tune does shift smoother than the 93 street. What is the 1-2-1 shift?
It's a feature to help save gas on acceleration. Mine had this. It'll start in 2. Then will go down to 1 then shift to normal. It's quite a pain when you need power from a stop and need to get out in tricky intersections like my driveway. A tune disables this and it starts and stays in first then second. Much smoother power but that's from the street tune itself.

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
In the auto focus I rented it was more of a 2-1-2 from a stop. Not a fan!
Oddly the focus and mustang share the same technology and wiring diagram.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

It's a feature to help save gas on acceleration. Mine had this. It'll start in 2. Then will go down to 1 then shift to normal. It's quite a pain when you need power from a stop and need to get out in tricky intersections like my driveway. A tune disables this and it starts and stays in first then second. Much smoother power but that's from the street tune itself.

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

Oddly the focus and mustang share the same technology and wiring diagram.
Did your tuner fix it? Its pretty bizzarre, but I can understand its purpose though, saving fuel has become a hot selling point of cars these days I'm just not sure I'd want it in a performance car like a mustang...a base model focus sure but in a stang?
Old 11-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did your tuner fix it? Its pretty bizzarre, but I can understand its purpose though, saving fuel has become a hot selling point of cars these days I'm just not sure I'd want it in a performance car like a mustang...a base model focus sure but in a stang?
It definitely fixed it. And I like the mpg of my mustang which is nice to brag about to your econo car friends but if I wanted more I would have gotten a focus or fiesta.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It definitely fixed it. And I like the mpg of my mustang which is nice to brag about to your econo car friends but if I wanted more I would have gotten a focus or fiesta.
Lol. True that!
Old 11-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
It's a feature to help save gas on acceleration. Mine had this. It'll start in 2. Then will go down to 1 then shift to normal. It's quite a pain when you need power from a stop and need to get out in tricky intersections like my driveway. A tune disables this and it starts and stays in first then second. Much smoother power but that's from the street tune itself. ---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ---------- Oddly the focus and mustang share the same technology and wiring diagram.
Yeah I don't understand this my 2012 Automatic always starts in first. So did every one I test drove. Now it won't always drop to first from second when I stand on it but that depends on how fast I'm going in second.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
Yeah I don't understand this my 2012 Automatic always starts in first. So did every one I test drove. Now it won't always drop to first from second when I stand on it but that depends on how fast I'm going in second.
What's funny is I could drop the gear select to 1 and get a better acceleration than in drive. 2 was the same as drive. That how I knew it did that and I wantched my shift points religiously at various throttle. But mainly granny loping it did this. Then again that's all I get weekly and the weekend I open up where I can.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What's funny is I could drop the gear select to 1 and get a better acceleration than in drive. 2 was the same as drive. That how I knew it did that and I wantched my shift points religiously at various throttle. But mainly granny loping it did this. Then again that's all I get weekly and the weekend I open up where I can.
Do you mean drop to first before taking off? And at partial throttle or full throttle?

If I take off slow mine starts in 1st and will quickly shift to second. I can count the shifts to 6th gear. The harder I push the throttle the longer it will stay in 1st. If you are starting slow and manually putting in 1st you'd get better acceleration because you're holding it in 1st gear.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do you mean drop to first before taking off? And at partial throttle or full throttle? If I take off slow mine starts in 1st and will quickly shift to second. I can count the shifts to 6th gear. The harder I push the throttle the longer it will stay in 1st. If you are starting slow and manually putting in 1st you'd get better acceleration because you're holding it in 1st gear.
At a red light(s), multiple ones on my one street to work. I put it in 1st. Accelerated. It topped out at maybe 15 or below. Not very fast at all. Put it in drive.

Second light.
Put it in 2nd and it drove normally like in drive. Except It had to pull some because it didn't shift down to first to get me past 15 so it's at 1.7 or so and we get to maybe 20 and I let off. Thought I was tearing it up. Put it in drive.

3rd light. Left it in drive and I heard it clunk and it threw the car forward some even while applying good steady brakes. This was normal before tune, and when I accelerated it spiked the rpm to 2, then clunked, but not as harsh on the deceleration to a stop, then went to 2.3k and then shifted. I guess it's a 2011 thing or maybe the people that ford let rent it out beat it for 20k miles but that was normal driving and 4 dealerships said it was skip shift and it does it to save fuel. Even the one I bought it from. I know the GT has the legit skip of the shift. But mine would do this on a slow or normal acceleration. On a medium acceleration it would stay in 2nd and then just take off. It's been the oddest shifting auto I've driven.

Thankfully, I ordered a tune. It now shifts 1-6 in order, no power band or hesitation spikes, and when given throttle, it just gives more gas instead of dipping down into 4 or 5 for power. And this is all within a 87 octane street tune from bama. They fixed my car essentially and it shifts like a buck from 1-3 and is tight from there on. Much like a shift kit in the classics. Love it.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
At a red light(s), multiple ones on my one street to work. I put it in 1st. Accelerated. It topped out at maybe 15 or below. Not very fast at all. Put it in drive. Second light. Put it in 2nd and it drove normally like in drive. Except It had to pull some because it didn't shift down to first to get me past 15 so it's at 1.7 or so and we get to maybe 20 and I let off. Thought I was tearing it up. Put it in drive. 3rd light. Left it in drive and I heard it clunk and it threw the car forward some even while applying good steady brakes. This was normal before tune, and when I accelerated it spiked the rpm to 2, then clunked, but not as harsh on the deceleration to a stop, then went to 2.3k and then shifted. I guess it's a 2011 thing or maybe the people that ford let rent it out beat it for 20k miles but that was normal driving and 4 dealerships said it was skip shift and it does it to save fuel. Even the one I bought it from. I know the GT has the legit skip of the shift. But mine would do this on a slow or normal acceleration. On a medium acceleration it would stay in 2nd and then just take off. It's been the oddest shifting auto I've driven. Thankfully, I ordered a tune. It now shifts 1-6 in order, no power band or hesitation spikes, and when given throttle, it just gives more gas instead of dipping down into 4 or 5 for power. And this is all within a 87 octane street tune from bama. They fixed my car essentially and it shifts like a buck from 1-3 and is tight from there on. Much like a shift kit in the classics. Love it.
Glad you got it fixed but the automatics when working properly do not skip shifts. V6 or GT.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Glad you got it fixed but the automatics when working properly do not skip shifts. V6 or GT.
Yeah man like I said it didn't "skip" shifts. It would do the weird 2-1-2 thing and if I held that throttle it would shift like so: 2-1-2-345-6. But under more throttle it would space the mid gears out.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Dysha from Ford on another forum said they removed skip shift in 2013.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #16
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
I wish we could get her to visit here....she has an account with this site, but does not visit. I've PM'd her a few times on that "other site", but never got a response. She is a valuable asset to Mustang owners and repair issues with the dealerships.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
on the manuals. There is NO skip shift on the Automatics.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification
Old 11-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's been brought up before. But, that's stupid. If I press my clutch, by God I best be able to select whatever gear I want.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Skip shift allows for better MPG

Even the new Corvettes have it on the manuals. It is supposed to allow better miles per gallon to appease the government idiots that can't drive a stick. A tuner can fix it. Of course there are probably other ways but the Manual guys can probably tell you more about what to do.
I have to say I'm overly pleased with how my automatic works. I have no complaints at all with it.
Ronnie
Old 11-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It's been brought up before. But, that's stupid. If I press my clutch, by God I best be able to select whatever gear I want.
+1, Absolutely stupid!!! Glad my 13 doesn't have it!
Old 11-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Not as stupid as the BMW's

Some genius at BMW as well as a few other car company's have had the actual brain storm of having the engine shut off as the car sits at a red traffic signal. When the signal turns green all the driver has to do is step on the gas and the car starts up and goes. They never accounted for the three second rule that some traffic signals have. That is if no cars pass the sensors the light will change back to red. Meaning if you are in back of one of those stupid idiot cars they usually get through the light but not many behind them will make it. UGH!!!!
Old 11-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

+1, Absolutely stupid!!! Glad my 13 doesn't have it!
Me too. I love being able to go from 1 to 3 to 5 when I'm cruising around town and trying to save gas.
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Some genius at BMW as well as a few other car company's have had the actual brain storm of having the engine shut off as the car sits at a red traffic signal. When the signal turns green all the driver has to do is step on the gas and the car starts up and goes. They never accounted for the three second rule that some traffic signals have. That is if no cars pass the sensors the light will change back to red. Meaning if you are in back of one of those stupid idiot cars they usually get through the light but not many behind them will make it. UGH!!!!
That is because supposedly a German law is in effect that can FINE your for idling too long. So they put it in the newer german cars so you dont have to shut if off by hand. I have only see that mentioned in posts on blog boards, I cant find it in real German law.

Dispite the fact that I believe in Winter Idling abit, a post in this comment log URL below has someone mentioning it. I wait for my oil to get moving around when its cold. But I don't really drive it in winter anyway, only if a dry day and NO salt has been down on the road yet. Once salt has been on the road, it stay in the Stable until spring storms wash ALL the salt out of the roads and parking lots.

http://www.ecogeek.org/component/content/article/3397

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang