Condensation - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Condensation

Hey guys... I washed my car today and condensation appeared rather badly on the driver head light and a little appeared on the passenger side.
I put a billet grille on my car so I'm concerned that the dealership is going to claim that I messed it up then, but I didn't touch the headlights when we took the grille off.
Any thoughts?
TheBlackStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Forgot pictures. the driver side one was worse before I took the picture, but I think that is still quite bad :-/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131110_145829.png
Views:	176
Size:	613.8 KB
ID:	135912   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131110_145840.png
Views:	170
Size:	544.9 KB
ID:	135913  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131110_145851.png
Views:	177
Size:	640.0 KB
ID:	135914  
Old 11-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The grill shouldn't be a problem with the dealer. If you still have factory warranty they should fix it!
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbullet2012 View Post
The grill shouldn't be a problem with the dealer. If you still have factory warranty they should fix it!
Agreed, especially since the headlights weren't even touched.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I would take it in, it seems like the headlights were not properly sealed. Changing the grille should have no effect on the headlights. Even if you had to take the lights out to change the bulb or something, it should not make anything like this happen. Definitely a defect.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the replies guys. I hope the dealership thinks the same way you guys do
Old 11-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Just don't go into the dealership and ask if the "headlights are under warranty even though I changed the grill"....

In other words, say nothing. The grill in no way has any effect on the headlights, but don't offer the service department any reason to play with you.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

If you do not mention changing the gril

I'll bet they won't even notice it was changed. While your there just walk through the dealers lot and see how many different grills Ford puts on these Mustangs.

Just let service writer write up the headlights.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Haha I wasn't going to advertise that I replaced the grille
Alright Ronnie thanks for your input man
So I called a local and the service guy said that condensation in the headlight wasn't enough and that there would need to be water standing in the headlight for it to be covered under warranty. The sercice guy said he could take a waterhose and try to force water into the headlight and he could send those pictures off to Ford to be looked at. This is not my usual dealership so I was wondering if this was normal or not.
Edit: to add to that I called my dealership and they said they would look at it and see if it can be warrantied. She didn't mention anything about condensation not being enough to cover it. She did ask if it was with a normal water hose or high pressure. I said high pressure because it was, but that shouldn't effect anything either right?
Old 11-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

How about a rainy day ??????????????

Going down the interstate at the 70MPH speed limit you get condensation in your headlight covers. If you do there is something very wrong. I'm sure your hose is not spitting water out at 70MPH. Even so I do not think the headlight covers should ever fog up on the inside. Those covers should be air tight.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
wtf that's complete BS, headlights are not supposed to have condensation in them AT ALL.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackStang View Post
Haha I wasn't going to advertise that I replaced the grille
Alright Ronnie thanks for your input man
So I called a local and the service guy said that condensation in the headlight wasn't enough and that there would need to be water standing in the headlight for it to be covered under warranty. The sercice guy said he could take a waterhose and try to force water into the headlight and he could send those pictures off to Ford to be looked at. This is not my usual dealership so I was wondering if this was normal or not.
Edit: to add to that I called my dealership and they said they would look at it and see if it can be warrantied. She didn't mention anything about condensation not being enough to cover it. She did ask if it was with a normal water hose or high pressure. I said high pressure because it was, but that shouldn't effect anything either right?
I would imagine the condensation is from the seal being broken. No reason why the seal around the headlight housing would go bad in a newer vehicle. I had a similar condensation issue with a headlight to at the time 6 year old van. I had drilled small hole into the headlight lens on its side to allow air flow inside said lens. No more condensation issues after that because the air gets inside and dries out the lens.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I would imagine the condensation is from the seal being broken. No reason why the seal around the headlight housing would go bad in a newer vehicle. I had a similar condensation issue with a headlight to at the time 6 year old van. I had drilled small hole into the headlight lens on its side to allow air flow inside said lens. No more condensation issues after that because the air gets inside and dries out the lens.
But so does the water...I would not drill a hole in any factory lens, or its bucket assembly, especially if it's a new vehicle under warranty. That for sure will void a future warranty claim, as they will again eventually condensate with the hole drilled in them.

I recall the F150 owners (2004 to 2009) wanting the black Harley Davidson style headlights. Off everyone went to Ebay to buy the el cheapo overseas replicas for a hundred bucks. After two weeks or two washings, whichever came first, the headlights fogged. They were sealed cheaply. The forum had several posts on a possible fix for the fogging, including drilling a hole or two. They continued to fog, especially during climate changes, such as a warm day, cool night situation. If a hole was the answer, The service departments would issue a TSB for it. They don't.

I suspect there was a defect in the sealing of your headlights, and they need replacement.

Lesson learned; don't use high pressure water around the headlight, taillight, and side marker housings.

Hope the warranty claim works out for you.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
But so does the water...I would not drill a hole in any factory lens, or its bucket assembly, especially if it's a new vehicle under warranty. That for sure will void a future warranty claim, as they will again eventually condensate with the hole drilled in them.

I recall the F150 owners (2004 to 2009) wanting the black Harley Davidson style headlights. Off everyone went to Ebay to buy the el cheapo overseas replicas for a hundred bucks. After two weeks or two washings, whichever came first, the headlights fogged. They were sealed cheaply. The forum had several posts on a possible fix for the fogging, including drilling a hole or two. They continued to fog, especially during climate changes, such as a warm day, cool night situation. If a hole was the answer, The service departments would issue a TSB for it. They don't.

I suspect there was a defect in the sealing of your headlights, and they need replacement.

Lesson learned; don't use high pressure water around the headlight, taillight, and side marker housings.

Hope the warranty claim works out for you.
Totally agree. I wouldn't drill any holes into lenses that were under warranty. Let Ford fix the issue, because its not your fault the housing was not sealed correctly. My van was long out of warranty and I didn't want to spend for a whole headlight kit. Lol. Perhaps someone even on the forum recommended the drilling small whole trick and it worked. It did solve my condensation issue and the headlight lens no longer looks foggy inside. Lol..
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

The folks that drilled holes into the F150 headlight buckets claimed it worked too when the sun was out, and the condensation would evaporate. But when the temps cooled, and daylight came, they would develop the condinsation again. Maybe different designs.

I used to buy the silver type F150 housings, warm them up in the oven (350 degrees for 7 minutes), enough to soften the clear lens sealent, remove the lens (sometimes it took to "bakes" in the oven), then I'd paint the housings black, then use black RTV to reseal the lens to the housings. Instant Harley-Davidson blackout housings.

I sold a dozen or so of these, and never had a complaint. However, I got tired quickly of doing this for the few bucks I charged, and stopped.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I definitely wasn't going to drill a hole... Especially since my car is 6 months old!
I've used pressure on my 07 mustang without any issues. And since I'm in school I dont have access to a water hose so I have to make due with high pressure.
Thanks for your replies guys I really appreciate them.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #17
Admin

Supporter
Admin

The headlight assemblies should already have a small opening and an "L" shaped rubber tube in the backside of the assemply to allow for the buckets to "breath" so to speak, and not allow for the inside air of the headlight assemblies to be warmer (or colder) then the outside air, which is why they can fog. In the OP's case, I think he simply got water into the headlight assemplies with the high pressure rinsing, because the seals on the headlight assemblies are not perfectly sealed. I suspect Ford may know this, which is why they may have asked you if you used a simple garden hose and "house" water pressure, or a pressure type wash.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

You would have to directly put the high pressure wash right in the headlight housing. The hood/bumper is pretty much covering the seals. and if the hood was opened the radiator cover protects it a little also. So there's a seal somewhere on there that's not fully sealed.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang