starkey or raxiom GT light kits? lower fogs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
starkey or raxiom GT light kits? lower fogs?

I've had my '13 for just over a year now, absolutely love this car even driving year round in interior Alaska. We're getting to the dark and cold time of year, so I want to add some extra lighting.

Which is the better GT-style kit, the Starkey or the Raxiom?

Anyone converted the upper lights to driving lamps, and still installed the lower fogs kit? How do you wire up to run both the GT lamps and lower lamps? Do the H11 OE style fog lights put out a decent amount of light, enough to make both sets worthwhile?
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
I've had my '13 for just over a year now, absolutely love this car even driving year round in interior Alaska. We're getting to the dark and cold time of year, so I want to add some extra lighting. Which is the better GT-style kit, the Starkey or the Raxiom? Anyone converted the upper lights to driving lamps, and still installed the lower fogs kit? How do you wire up to run both the GT lamps and lower lamps? Do the H11 OE style fog lights put out a decent amount of light, enough to make both sets worthwhile?
Starkey makes a harness that's oem in quality and even has an adapter to run all 6 lights at once. It's on the high side but you get what you pay for. And that's top notch quality and the trust that your car won't burn down. Even gets a a oem ford fog switch. I've heard mixed reviews on raxiom headlights but as a whole they are a pretty good company.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Starkey has been around a while I believe and they do make excellent, OEM-looking products (Ik from experience). Raxiom on the other hand, do make solid products as well and always come with their famous 2yr warranty.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 05:37 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
There are some other posts on this subject that will provide you with additional opinions.

My vote: Starkey.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
So I ended up buying a blemished 3505 GT light kit from Starkey back in December and finally found time to clear out the garage enough to do the swap yesterday. The instructions were extremely well written and made it extremely easy to do the swap, even with the intimidation factor being high since you have to remove the front bumper.

Got your nose!

Stock V6 lower next to GT lower

The broken tab that saved me $200 (there were also a couple small barely noticeable marks on the foglight lenses... which will blend in nicely with the rock chips they'll inevitably get living in Alaska.

V6 and GT grills

Clip, clip, snap.... installed

I had... fun... with the wiring.

The harness is beautifully made and is very precisely made. I ended up having to re-route the wiring once because it ended up about 2" short at the dash board, which cost me about an hour to go back and fix. The lack of excess slack is great, and the wiring tucks up nicely like OEM if you run it correctly. It's been a long time since I've wrenched on cars (only had a motorcycle for 4 years until I bought my Mustang in September '12) and I had forgotten how much it sucks to work with wiring under the dashboard. Listen to the instructions and leave the cowl panel and under tray off until AFTER you wire the car, because you're going to be under there and the panels will be in the way.

Wires tapped, dash back together, key in and...

Lights!

I thought the stock HID's were pretty good, in fact they were the best OEM headlights on any car I've ever owned. The extra light from the GT fogs is impressive, especially on the sides of the road where moose (whose eye's don't reflect light btw, so you've got to see the bastards) tend to lurk, and really fill in gaps I didn't know existed on the headlights.

Bottom line: Money well spent! If you drive at night a lot, you owe it to yourself to add these!
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

How long did the install take? Did you have help or gambled and went it alone?

Sent from my XT1053 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
JSchu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
HID projectors would be the best option for light output and superior looks in my opinion.
Check out some sites for options. You can have them made custom and you can have a "one of a kind" awesome look. 4300k is pure white. 5000k is white/blue.
LINKS BELOW:
hidre​trofitlight​s.com
https://www.facebook.com/YukesHIDRetrofits
The Retrofit Source Inc
Have Fun & Check These Options Out!!
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Nice install. Thanks for posting the pictures and results.

I was very happy with my starkey harness and install as well. The instructions provided were easy to follow, and everything was provided.

I especially liked the humor you added: "which will blend in nicely with the rock chips they'll inevitably get living in Alaska". Made me laugh!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang