Performance Wheels in NJ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Performance Wheels in NJ?

How will performance tires work in the winter/rain in NJ?
Njd92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njd92 View Post
How will performance tires work in the winter/rain in NJ?
Idk but I'm about to find out myself lol
Old 11-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

what tires do you have?
Njd92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

17" Sumitomo HTR Z's, 275 up front 315 rear
Old 11-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Move to Cali it rains like 7 days the entire year..... Jk don't move to Cali it sucks.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Move to Cali it rains like 7 days the entire year..... Jk don't move to Cali it sucks.
I moved to L.A with 2 of my best friends when I was 18 in a condo for 6 months...although it was an AMAZING experience, the drive home was such a relief lol..
Old 11-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Why do so many of you say that? I'd love to move from Montreal to Cali, in fact its something that's been on my mind for a few years now and my wife, after much debate might one day consider it, but y'all say it sucks!? Is it really that bad?
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Why do so many of you say that? I'd love to move from Montreal to Cali, in fact its something that's been on my mind for a few years now and my wife, after much debate might one day consider it, but y'all say it sucks!? Is it really that bad?
Because it's one of the most expensive places to live in the US and they have a lot of stupid laws and strict emissions lol Also gas is a full 1$ more per gallon than everywhere else
Old 11-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by layton View Post
Because it's one of the most expensive places to live in the US and they have a lot of stupid laws and strict emissions lol Also gas is a full 1$ more per gallon than everywhere else
2013 NJ is the 5th most expensive state to reside in, Cali not even being in the top 5, but yes gas is ridiculous there, really can't complain about gas in NJ compared to out there but there's many other things to complain about lol
Old 11-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8pony View Post
2013 NJ is the 5th most expensive state to reside in, Cali not even being in the top 5, but yes gas is ridiculous there, really can't complain about gas in NJ compared to out there but there's many other things to complain about lol
Yeah houses or rent is so damn high up north. but as of 2013 Cali has 4 of the top 10 most expensive cities to live in but I live in TN everything is cheap. Gas 2.89 right now
Old 11-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah houses or rent is so damn high up north. but as of 2013 Cali has 4 of the top 10 most expensive cities to live in but I live in TN everything is cheap. Gas 2.89 right now
Cities yea but overall as a state NJs got it beat(in a bad way) lol, but yea i believe I just paid like 3.03$ the other day and that's cheap here..rent is RIDICULOUS especially here on the shore.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Don't come to California haha property taxes, gas prices, strict emissions laws. I need to move out of here, but my college tuition is free here so I can't move :p
Bschmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:07 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Back on topic, I live in NJ and I don't plan on swapping out the Pirelli "Summer-Only" tires as I really can't afford different ones. I hope they hold up just well enough to get me through
Dhawk1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhawk1313 View Post
Back on topic, I live in NJ and I don't plan on swapping out the Pirelli "Summer-Only" tires as I really can't afford different ones. I hope they hold up just well enough to get me through
Same here, I just plan to not drive in any harsh condition, I got my fathers f250, and my gf' Mazda 3 for that
Old 11-12-2013, 05:28 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Uh, you are also describing many parts of Canada!

Back to topic, there are excellent all season tires available for your Mustang. Think about all the folks in Europe, Germany as an example, that drive their vehicles in the snow at speeds with their Mercedes, BMW's Audi's, and others.

I'd talk to your local tire store to get the scoop on what will work best for your local wintery conditions.

You might even consider a second set of rims and winter tires only over the all season types. Then simply change the combination when the weather gets better in the spring.

In reading these types of posts, I really, really appretiate Florida.

You folks stay safe up there when the winter strikes. We want to see your pics in the spring when these Mustangs come back from hibernation (for those of you that store them during winter).
Old 11-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhawk1313 View Post
I wouldn't take any chances with summer only tires with a 25k car in a northern state. You should try and find a set of, at the very least all season tires. I know the winters are not nearly what they are here but I'm sure you get your fair share of snow and ice. I recommend getting a set of winter tires on a set of black steel rims, they may look like crap but are well worth the investment if you plan to hit the winter every year! On any amount of snow or ice summer tires are completely useless, if you love your ride invest a little in it to keep it and you safe.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:38 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

6$ a gallon here, no emission test.......yet, and I think we pay the highest overall taxes in the country. Not exactly paradise either. : ( Lol.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
This is why Chains seem to be the best.

Of course you will want them on all four wheels

The People vs Winter - YouTube

It would be nice to have chains for your feet too!

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Summer only tires up there would be a no no - I put all season tires on my cars for the winter since ours are pretty mild, but even if it's just wet and not icy but down around 40 degrees, summer only tires suck ***.

Then again, you just said "performance tires" so you might already have all season ones (I've run UHP all seasons on numerous cars here and they do great here in St Louis).
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #20
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
my .02 I suggest getting a set of take-offs either from Roush or used on one of the Forums. When I asked this ? it seems that folks north of the Mason/Dixon said don't run the summer onlys (well enough of them) I will also stress the cost of even a minor fender bender is way more than a set of 4 dedicated snows. In honesty I don't even drive my Stang in the rain often (I have a truck too) but in cold weather I scored a set of the Pirelli Neros of someone and use those in cold (below 30-40) weather. I'm in CT for referance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang