Appearance VS Performance? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Appearance VS Performance?

I am planning on buying a CAI/ Bama tuner combo, side louvers, hood and side scoops, tail light tint, and powder coating my rims black. As you may know this is a lot of money, would it be wise to go for the appearance first and then buy the tuner/CAI with my money I get from Christmas?
Njd92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
JDR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Since I value my warranty, I chose to take on the appearance mods first. I'll start on performance mods this spring.
That's just the way I decided to tackle it.
JDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njd92 View Post
I am planning on buying a CAI/ Bama tuner combo, side louvers, hood and side scoops, tail light tint, and powder coating my rims black. As you may know this is a lot of money, would it be wise to go for the appearance first and then buy the tuner/CAI with my money I get from Christmas?
It sounds like you definitely have a great build list and I'm really excited to see the finished project! The order you do these mods in is completely up to you, I honestly don't think you can go wrong.

If it were me, I would go with the performance first and then the exterior mods. I definitely have a need for speed and it sounds like you do to! However, if you're more into taking your Mustangs to shows and would like to do the louvers, side scoops etc.. first, that's also really cool!

Let me know if I can be of any assistance or if you have any questions. My CS team can be reached at the contact information in my signature, feel free to hit them up anytime you have a question!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Performance first
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Thumbs up Do a combination of both!

Do whatever performance mods that won't kill your warranty and any appearance mods you like now. After the warranty expires, go for all the rest. That'll give ya time to save up for the expensive performance mods for latter, but still let you have fun with the other "warranty safe" performance mods now and plenty of the appearance mods. Gotta save a little for later. No mater what, go for what makes YOU happy. Anyway, that's my plan and my 2 cents
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I'm a performance first kind of guy.

I'd rather be fast than just look fast.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
I'm a performance first kind of guy.

I'd rather be fast than just look fast.
+1
SouthFLV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Just depends on what model you have now. I.e., I have a GT Premium. Leather interior, premium dash, HID's, 19" wheels, etc.. So the looks are (for the most part) already there. My first mod was a set of axle-backs (Borla!) two days after I bought my GT, then Bama TFL, and next I plan on getting a CAI. Of course eventually I'll get back to the exterior dept. to make my GT stand out. If you're completely base, do one engine, one exterior, etc..

My $0.02.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
Toy
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I like to know what things can do. My wife can make it pretty...but me, how does it go. I love sleepers. Simple and look plain on the outside, but are anything but that.
Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
A suspension upgrade is both a performance and appearance upgrade.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I am also in your situation, so what I would do is go to a couple dealerships in the area and straight up ask them what their point of view is on performance mods like a CAI and a tune. Some are okay with it while others are not. Remember in order to void warranty they have to prove your modification was the cause, if you get a tune and your window button stops working they can't void your warranty because of the tune. Talking to your dealership(s) and get a feel for their point of view on mods. I plan on doing a CAI and tune in the spring, but before I do I will talk to a couple dealerships in the area. If I can't find one that's cool with it I will most likely go with appearance mods first.

Personally, I prefer to look stock and perform better than look amazing and perform the same as stock.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I like both. I started with the "looks", as I had an idea in my head as to how I wanted the Mustang to look. I felt as if I started with a blank slate, and molded it to what I was looking for. Growing up, a guy accross the street had a red 70 Mustang Mach 1. On weekends I'd walk over, and help him wash it. I vowed some day to own one. My 2011 Red coupe is close (no shaker hood scoop), but many of its exterior features are modeled after that early Mustang.

When the full warranty lapsed, I started with the performance mods. I have the GT500 axle backs, the MRT 93 octane tune, a modified airbox (those that "know" me understand this part), and some suspension upgrades.

Am I done? Nope. I tell my wife that, but she just grins and shakes her head.

There's no right or wrong way to mod...do it the way you want, and in the order you want. Unless folks are lining up to assist you in making the monthly payment, their opinion is just that; an opinion.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Once again, I agree with Mr. Bucko. I too had an idea or mental image in my head of what I wanted my last Mustang to look like, 1.5 yrs later, I had it in my carport. It's a great feeling. With my new GT, I am budding heads with my factory warranty and trying to stay away from engine mods so once again I'm touching up things here and there with exterior styling or what have you, etc..
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
...a modified airbox (those that "know" me understand this part), and some suspension upgrades.
Do share please.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:53 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
Do share please.
I removed the air tube that connects the air cleaner box to the throttle body. Then used my dremmel tool to cut off the muffler on its side. I used fiberglass and fiberglass mat to seal the hole, sanded, and repainted it. It remains stock, with the exception of the muffler, and gets plenty of sealed cold air, plus it makes the same noise when you get on it as the aftermarket CAI's do.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang