'long range' fog light bulbs/assembly - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
You have a 2013 right? You just upgraded the HID?

How easy was the install either way?
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychink View Post
The HID kit I used is not from ddm, it was just a generic 35w H11 HID kit I got off my local craigslist.

The light output is much greater than halogen.
Are we talking about the light thrown on the road in terms of visibility, or the light coming out from the housing?

Just wondering because most cheap HIDs will have light scattered everywhere but the road and will blind oncoming drivers.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Are we talking about the light thrown on the road in terms of visibility, or the light coming out from the housing? Just wondering because most cheap HIDs will have light scattered everywhere but the road and will blind oncoming drivers.
They look like they have a lot of light but who no projector, it's doing little to no good. Every donk and car has them here in Montgomery,AL. Lots of giant rim cars and ignorance around here.

But aren't we talking fogs and not headlights?
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

They look like they have a lot of light but who no projector, it's doing little to no good. Every donk and car has them here in Montgomery,AL. Lots of giant rim cars and ignorance around here.

But aren't we talking fogs and not headlights?
Even if they're fog lights, I believe they can still blind people with glare if they're not properly focused in my opinion. Hence I wanna make sure I'm not another riced out idiot before I put my money down
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:11 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

I was talking about fog lights the entire time. HID headlights are standard on the 2013s.
The fog lights on 2013s' are cylindrical housing(projection type) and they are quite focused downward onto the road. The fog light beams don't go above headlight beams, rather it illuminate a lot more on the sides and things between the bumper to the headlight beam.
The difference is big behind the driver seat. I actually see better with low beam + HID fogs than just high beam(on my car fog lights turn off automatically when using high beam).
I never adjusted how they are pointed but never had a problem or anyone flashing me because of the HID fogs. I actually get flashed by on coming traffic more now because of my LED GT500 fogs(they aren't bright but the housing is crap and light scatter EVERYWHERE and no real usable light at night).
crazychink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #41
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
There's a misunderstanding about the use of fogs. They are not intended to be bright, as this would cause them to refract the light off of the fog mist. Instead, they are meant to shine light low, below the fog to assist the driver to see the lower road.

I see so many young drivers place HID or simular bright light into their fog light assemblies. I guess it's a "cool thing". Here's an example of it just being wrong for the "cool" factor over functionality.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:40 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

I know they aren't suppose to be bright but if you are looking for more useable light at night I don't think you can beat HID fog lights. That said, HID fog light setup probably won't work really well in an actual fog. I only did it so I don't have three different color lights at the front of my mustang(tri-LED bars, headlight, and fog lights are all different color from factory).
crazychink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Even if they're fog lights, I believe they can still blind people with glare if they're not properly focused in my opinion. Hence I wanna make sure I'm not another riced out idiot before I put my money down
+1. Honestly I am the bad guy here because my fogs are aimed up 1/4 turn on the stock height. I get flashed all the time on dark roads. With street lights it's no problem but I do get flashed. Mainly because they are so high up also. But the adjustment allows me to see so much better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3617326980.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	137343  
Old 11-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
There's a misunderstanding about the use of fogs. They are not intended to be bright, as this would cause them to refract the light off of the fog mist. Instead, they are meant to shine light low, below the fog to assist the driver to see the lower road. I see so many young drivers place HID or simular bright light into their fog light assemblies. I guess it's a "cool thing". Here's an example of it just being wrong for the "cool" factor over functionality.
Back when the GT started using the 4 lights like that it was meant at the track for night racing. Vanity light. Now they have developed into "fogs" but in my logic, the GT tries to remain to heritage but it has 4 headlights and no fogs. The v6 has actual fogs. Just like stated, light between the bumper and the headlights and to the sides.

My idea behind the HID fog is since I'm not going yellow, then go for vanity. I only use them for night driving and they cut the fog ok, but my heads do most of the work. So why not? I don't want to blind people though as I already do that. My only solution is to get a projector for proper installation. Till then a good h10 bulb.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #45
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
There's a misunderstanding about the use of fogs. They are not intended to be bright, as this would cause them to refract the light off of the fog mist. Instead, they are meant to shine light low, below the fog to assist the driver to see the lower road.

I see so many young drivers place HID or simular bright light into their fog light assemblies. I guess it's a "cool thing". Here's an example of it just being wrong for the "cool" factor over functionality.
Absolutely, I prefer functionality and safety over show any day. Heck, that's why they're called "fog lights". Ya can't go very far and safely if ya can't see what's in front of ya. Any fool can get a car up to speed, the trick is stopping before you hit something has always been my experiece. Hey, whatever floats your boat.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang