'long range' fog light bulbs/assembly - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
'long range' fog light bulbs/assembly

Hey guys, I've a 2014 v6 with those little fog lights built in the front bumper. The days are getting shorter and I do 90% of my driving in dark..on wet roads in rain. Light pattern from these fogs doesn't go beyond 2 feet (give or take) beyond the bumper- the blind spot and hence theyre of no practical use in my opinion.

I looked around for H11 bulbs that offer better visibility and since these fogs stay on for most of the time (DRLs), I couldn't afford to buy so called platinum nighthawks or silver Star ultras. I settled with Philips 55W H11 (standard ones, not the fancy stuff) hoping that it would generate brighter/longer beam of light. Well, turns out that the stock H11s were also Philips 55W halogens. Bummer!

I am wondering if anyone have a suggestion as to what could be donr to get 'useable' amount of light, that makes stuff visible on road..rather than the pattern being limited to the front blind spot area. New assembly/bulbs/new set of projectors/anything?
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
My silver star ultras are great in my headlights which are drl. Nice crisp white light. Or 90 percent white appearance. As for my fogs. I upgraded to the GT bumper for the grille fogs instead of lower fogs. I also have mine aimed up 1/4 turn so they give more down road visibility. I do yet brighter but I just flip on my high beam and fogs and they usually chill about it.

Try aiming them up or get the ultras, I've had them in for nearly a year now. Still no problems. My fogs are the oem stock bulb. But aiming up my heads and fogs helped a lot.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
My silver star ultras are great in my headlights which are drl. Nice crisp white light. Or 90 percent white appearance. As for my fogs. I upgraded to the GT bumper for the grille fogs instead of lower fogs. I also have mine aimed up 1/4 turn so they give more down road visibility. I do yet brighter but I just flip on my high beam and fogs and they usually chill about it.

Try aiming them up or get the ultras, I've had them in for nearly a year now. Still no problems. My fogs are the oem stock bulb. But aiming up my heads and fogs helped a lot.
I did consider getting silverstar ultras, but the problem is projector. These fogs stay on for most of the time as they are DRLs, so if I put a halogen with a higher working temperature - its just gonna burn away way faster and chances are that the little fog light projector will just melt away due to excessive heat in my opinion.

The GT could be an option as yo suggested but I'm not really a fond of that sort of 'appearance' on my mustang. I'd definitely try to get bumper fogs aim a bit higher though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
I did consider getting silverstar ultras, but the problem is projector. These fogs stay on for most of the time as they are DRLs, so if I put a halogen with a higher working temperature - its just gonna burn away way faster and chances are that the little fog light projector will just melt away due to excessive heat in my opinion. The GT could be an option as yo suggested but I'm not really a fond of that sort of 'appearance' on my mustang. I'd definitely try to get bumper fogs aim a bit higher though.
I see what you mean but isn't a projector just a lens? Kinda round and such? I have H13 as my headlights as they are halogen and are on a DRL system. Power comes from the high beam on mine and is 6v power. On your fogs I can see why you say heat. As a matter of fact, you reminded me, my fogs do get pretty warm as is on a good drive with stock bulbs. I thought it wouldn't melt the wiring or lens if you got the right wattage like 35,55,65. Hopefully someone will chime in on that matter.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I see what you mean but isn't a projector just a lens? Kinda round and such? I have H13 as my headlights as they are halogen and are on a DRL system. Power comes from the high beam on mine and is 6v power. On your fogs I can see why you say heat. As a matter of fact, you reminded me, my fogs do get pretty warm as is on a good drive with stock bulbs. I thought it wouldn't melt the wiring or lens if you got the right wattage like 35,55,65. Hopefully someone will chime in on that matter.
Yeah, i actually have factory HIDs in my headlights and they have a little light bar on side as a DRL. The fog housing is pretty small as one could see by looking at the size of glass - only slightly bigger than voloume control knob I guess. So I guess even if I go with silverstar ultras, they will burn out much faster and the heat they will produce in a much smaller projector/lens compartment wouldn't be safe.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, i actually have factory HIDs in my headlights and they have a little light bar on side as a DRL. The fog housing is pretty small as one could see by looking at the size of glass - only slightly bigger than voloume control knob I guess. So I guess even if I go with silverstar ultras, they will burn out much faster and the heat they will produce in a much smaller projector/lens compartment wouldn't be safe.
The silver stars won't burn out faster. At most every 3 years you'll replace them. I'm going on almost 2 years I think. It's been so long since I installed these and they are on half power 24/7 and full power at night.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The silver stars won't burn out faster. At most every 3 years you'll replace them. I'm going on almost 2 years I think. It's been so long since I installed these and they are on half power 24/7 and full power at night.
Ah! What year is your mustang? And you said you have silver stars in your headlights, and stock fog halogens right?
Old 11-13-2013, 02:23 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

You can always do a fog light HID conversion if you're looking for more light output. Definitely way brighter than halogen bulbs. The fog light housing are metal and glass so you won't have to worry about housing melting down. Only downside is it's not gonna be cheap. And if you go for cheap bulbs and cheap ballast they don't last as long as more expensive higher quality ones.
crazychink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Fog lights are not intended to be bright. They are supposed to project a low beam light source low. If brighter light is used, it bounces off the droplets of water that fog produces, and this produces glare. You might as well operate your bright lights (highbeams), as this would produce the same results.

It sounds to me that your fog lights in the lower bumper require adjustment. I would do this first, and avoid a brighter bulb if you want true "fog" lights.

I too installed the GT grill and the fog lights that came with them, but they caused glare against the fog mist. I installed the Boss lower valance, splitter, and fog lights, and installed the Boss block off plates in the GT grill. The lower fog lights are much more effective for me now. I do quite a bit of early morning highway driving, and this time of year is producing alot of early morning fog. The lower fogs work much better than the GT style fogs, as they are lower to the ground, and when adjusted properly, provide better visibility in fog conditions.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ah! What year is your mustang? And you said you have silver stars in your headlights, and stock fog halogens right?
Correct. My fogs get hot even on stock oem bulbs. I have a 2011. I thought I had a 2012 till I checked the vin. My dad told me it was a 2012 and my mother said it was a 2011. I guess my mother beat my dad lol

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Fog lights are not intended to be bright. They are supposed to project a low beam light source low. If brighter light is used, it bounces off the droplets of water that fog produces, and this produces glare. You might as well operate your bright lights (highbeams), as this would produce the same results. It sounds to me that your fog lights in the lower bumper require adjustment. I would do this first, and avoid a brighter bulb if you want true "fog" lights. I too installed the GT grill and the fog lights that came with them, but they caused glare against the fog mist. I installed the Boss lower valance, splitter, and fog lights, and installed the Boss block off plates in the GT grill. The lower fog lights are much more effective for me now. I do quite a bit of early morning highway driving, and this time of year is producing alot of early morning fog. The lower fogs work much better than the GT style fogs, as they are lower to the ground, and when adjusted properly, provide better visibility in fog conditions.
This is true on the fog part. A yellow lens or bulb would also cut through it better. The GT is sticking to it's racing heritage where the 4 lights were used more for the road racing. But many call them fogs. I call them driving lights since they are so high and I adjusted them as so instead of straight down like many think they need to do.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Correct. My fogs get hot even on stock oem bulbs. I have a 2011. I thought I had a 2012 till I checked the vin. My dad told me it was a 2012 and my mother said it was a 2011. I guess my mother beat my dad lol

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

This is true on the fog part. A yellow lens or bulb would also cut through it better. The GT is sticking to it's racing heritage where the 4 lights were used more for the road racing. But many call them fogs. I call them driving lights since they are so high and I adjusted them as so instead of straight down like many think they need to do.
Thanks for your precious advice guys, I guess my best bet at this point would be to get my fogs alligned properly. In my opinion it be wise to save the money that I'd spend on getting HID kits, for future mods - gears, and headers. They themselves dont cost a fortune but their installation really fists your arse! Lol
Old 11-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
.... gears, and headers. They themselves dont cost a fortune but their installation really fists your arse! Lol
Quote Worthy

LOL
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
.... gears, and headers. They themselves dont cost a fortune but their installation really fists your arse! Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
Quote Worthy

LOL
But what do they have to do with the subject of fog lights/bulbs???
Old 11-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
But what do they have to do with the subject of fog lights/bulbs???
Curiosity?

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post

Quote Worthy

LOL
600 for gears, and 500 for headers! Lol fml
Old 11-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
I hope we can get this back on subject.

This was getting interesting and informative as there are very few threads on fog lights and associated bulbs or mods
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
This was getting interesting and informative as there are very few threads on fog lights and associated bulbs or mods
I second that. I have scrolled through tons of forums, only to find installation related threads. My view is that fog lights should be able to 'light up' the road in front of us, contrary to the blind spot around front bumper.

I did consider getting a GT grill at one point, but personally I'm a fan of billet grills and it would have coated me 500 bucks anyway. Plus 100 for installation.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Question: has anyone tried LED bulbs? Specifically the front firing ones (see picture).

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131114_123614.png
Views:	240
Size:	780.9 KB
ID:	136468
Old 11-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

If they could be usable as driving lights.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #19
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I have not tried LED type bulbs for my lower fogs. I'd be interested in a response from someone who has.

I do have to admit, when I switched to the Boss valance and it's fogs, the light output diminished somewhat, but I can still tell when they are on during the foggy morning trips I make.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I second that. I have scrolled through tons of forums, only to find installation related threads. My view is that fog lights should be able to 'light up' the road in front of us, contrary to the blind spot around front bumper. I did consider getting a GT grill at one point, but personally I'm a fan of billet grills and it would have coated me 500 bucks anyway. Plus 100 for installation.
Billet grille? Mines a honeycomb? That's te stock one. As you can see on the boss, it has a spot for fogs and are the same as yours if you bought them and installed them. They come on the GT/CS btw. But because they are so recessed into the bumper area, some of the light is actually on the bumper and the rest is on the ground.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-468513987.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	517.3 KB
ID:	136530   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1967127523.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	579.4 KB
ID:	136531  

Name:	image-376298689.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	661.3 KB
ID:	136532  
Old 11-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Billet grille? Mines a honeycomb? That's te stock one. As you can see on the boss, it has a spot for fogs and are the same as yours if you bought them and installed them. They come on the GT/CS btw. But because they are so recessed into the bumper area, some of the light is actually on the bumper and the rest is on the ground.
Billet grille as in the one with comes MCA/CS edition, not the honey comb with a running pony in the middle (like yours but without those two fogs). My fogs are recessed into the front bumper as youve pointed, hence no significant light output.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Question: has anyone tried LED bulbs? Specifically the front firing ones (see picture).

Attachment 136468
These are from DDMTuning.com and here's the info on them:

"Description
1 x Hi Power 5 Watt Cree LEDs. 60 degree viewing angle. 335 Lumens.

These Fog Light bulbs are for color matching purposes only. Will not provide adequate light on ground due to differences in focal points of LEDs and original halogen bulbs."

The LEDs will not have the light throw you're looking for. I just got some Philips X-Treme Vision Halogen H11's on ebay for $38 and there's a huge difference. These should have been stock on the 2013 to keep up with the HID headlights. Here's a link to Philips website.

Philips Bulb Finder - 2013 FORD Mustang Base Model

These work great in the fog and look good as well. Hope this helps
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 11-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I have Cree LED bulbs for my GTCS lower fogs and my Center GT Fogs. They are bright white and since they are Cree bulbs they aim the light beam out so yes I would buy those!

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

I have Cree LED bulbs for my GTCS lower fogs and my Center GT Fogs. They are bright white and since they are Cree bulbs they aim the light beam out so yes I would buy those!
Or get some HIDs bro lol that will definitely do a better job than any LED or Regular bright non HID bulb
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have Cree LED bulbs for my GTCS lower fogs and my Center GT Fogs. They are bright white and since they are Cree bulbs they aim the light beam out so yes I would buy those! ---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ---------- Or get some HIDs bro lol that will definitely do a better job than any LED or Regular bright non HID bulb
How well are they over DOT approve sylvania ultra? I'm looking for a better fog but want them to match my off white heads
Old 11-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Or get some HIDs bro lol that will definitely do a better job than any LED or Regular bright non HID bulb
Can you please do us all a favor and send a picture of them? - as in picture of their light pattern on road
Old 11-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can you please do us all a favor and send a picture of them? - as in picture of their light pattern on road
Here are a few of mine. They should go from: Low beam High beam Fogs and low beam Fogs and high beam or vice versa. The one with the most light is fogs and highs. I have oem bulbs in my fogs and sylvania silver star ultra in the headlights
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3210699395.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	136906   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2360122471.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	136907  

Name:	image-2173874003.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	136908   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-441690187.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	136910  

Old 11-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #27
Admin

Supporter
Admin

So, one says LED"s are good, one provides a links that says no. I think I'll give the phillips a try.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
So, one says LED"s are good, one provides a links that says no. I think I'll give the phillips a try.
I just installed the Philips X-Treme Vision H11s and they do throw further than the stock fog H11s and are brighter. The stock H11s were a joke IMO. The Philips work for me and worked very well in the fog we had this morning.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The description quoted from ddmtuning actually belongs to the bulb with multiple LEDs on it, as opposed to front firing one seen in the picture. Hence why it said 'due to focal length of different LEDs'.

Theroratically speaking, front firing LED should be able to throw a straight beam of light (much like a flash light). But again, its a matter of giving it a try and see how it performs. Sure they are what like $5 each? But for a guy like me who isn't tech savy, installation money would be a bite on my arse!
Old 11-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The Cree LED ones at ddmtuning.com are like $10 each. LED are not known for a long throw of light, especially at $10 each. To get an LED with a long light throw will be expensive. Toyota's new Corolla has LED head lights and I can assure you they're more that $10 a pop. You get what you pay for and I won't skimp on light where my safety and the safety of others is concerned. I decided to stay with a company that does nothing but lighting for any application and provides a proven product with specifications to back it up. $37 is what I paid for a great plug and play fog light from Philips. Go for what ya know and makes ya happy. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
The Cree LED ones at ddmtuning.com are like $10 each. LED are not known for a long throw of light, especially at $10 each. To get an LED with a long light throw will be expensive. Toyota's new Corolla has LED head lights and I can assure you they're more that $10 a pop. You get what you pay for and I won't skimp on light where my safety and the safety of others is concerned. I decided to stay with a company that does nothing but lighting for any application and provides a proven product with specifications to back it up. $37 is what I paid for a great plug and play fog light from Philips. Go for what ya know and makes ya happy. Just my 2 cents.
Safety is my prime motive indeed! Thats why I haven't gone with LEDs, just waiting to see if anyone has personal experience with them.

Now on the other hand, DDM Tuning guys have H11 hid kit for $33 (including ballast n bulbs). Any idea how good their products are?

Also, what wattage would be suitable for my tiny fogs? 35W (3200 lumens) or 55W (5000 lumens)? Factory h11 halogens are 55W each, but it all boils down to the temperature. Do HIDs and halogens rated at same wattage produce same amount of heat?

One of guys on this forum had reported his 55W HIDs (grill fogs on a gt) melted down to the housing and made the lens looks pretty hazy.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Safety is my prime motive indeed! Thats why I haven't gone with LEDs, just waiting to see if anyone has personal experience with them. Now on the other hand, DDM Tuning guys have H11 hid kit for $33 (including ballast n bulbs). Any idea how good their products are? Also, what wattage would be suitable for my tiny fogs? 35W (3200 lumens) or 55W (5000 lumens)? Factory h11 halogens are 55W each, but it all boils down to the temperature. Do HIDs and halogens rated at same wattage produce same amount of heat? One of guys on this forum had reported his 55W HIDs (grill fogs on a gt) melted down to the housing and made the lens looks pretty hazy.
Bunch of buddies told me to do 35w so it won't get too hot and melt my lens and housings. They are both plastic.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

On the 2013+ lower fog light housing is metal with glass lens. Don't think it will melt, that said I went with 35w as well.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychink View Post
On the 2013+ lower fog light housing is metal with glass lens. Don't think it will melt, that said I went with 35w as well.
Are you talking about ddm h11 HIDs? How are they serving you? Any noticeable improvement over the stock halogens?
Old 11-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

The HID kit I used is not from ddm, it was just a generic 35w H11 HID kit I got off my local craigslist.

The light output is much greater than halogen. But I don't have pictures of the difference since I already changed my bumper.

Also, these were cheap HIDs. After a couple months they became different in brightness and color between the two sides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang