New Stang...Performance help please - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
New Stang...Performance help please

Hey guys I just bought a 2014 V6 Base model stang, and to be honest i've never had a sports car. My last car was a Pontiac G5 and all i ever did to that car was change the oil n spark plugs. Anywho, I would like to make some upgrades with its performance but since im new to this what do you'll recommend?
servs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I would say drive the car for a while and see what you want more from, whether its suspension or more power, or even looks or sound. Figure out what you want from the car and then we can help you even further.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Gears are the best performance addition besides boost. With gears you need a tune as we'll. if you want to keep your warranty you have to have ford install 3.31 gears and their tune.
grabberbluedrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by servs View Post
Hey guys I just bought a 2014 V6 Base model stang, and to be honest i've never had a sports car. My last car was a Pontiac G5 and all i ever did to that car was change the oil n spark plugs. Anywho, I would like to make some upgrades with its performance but since im new to this what do you'll recommend?
I started with a cold air intake. Makes a cool sound, gives you more hp, and pretty cheap. Also easy to install. Americanmuscle.com is where I get all my stuff all mustang stuff
Old 11-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

thanks guys, ive been driving the car for almost a month and i would like just a lil more throttle power, n yea i think im going to start by an intake, is there one in particular or whichever one works?
Old 11-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Automatic or manual?
Something that will really help the throttle is a custom tune, especially on the autos, but will help a manual also.... It will void your warranty though

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Automatic or manual?
Something that will really help the throttle is a custom tune, especially on the autos, but will help a manual also.... It will void your warranty though
its an automatic, and i didnt know it voided the warranty, i guess ill just stick to the basics...so if i were to put in a CAI tuner that would void the warranty as well?
Old 11-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I'd use the search on this forum and read up on the cold air intake (CAI) posts. A CAI on it's own IS NOT going to give you any seat of the pants gains over the stock air box your Mustang has now. The venders claim anywhere from 8 to 10 HP, but that's not going to translate much. If you add a tune, that's a different story.

The most common and talked about performance topics on this site are CAI's, axle back exhaust, and tuners. Eventually the serious builders add cat back exhaust, shorty headers, and turbo's/superchargers. The later get into big bucks, and in the case of your new Mustang, you'd be tossing the drivetrain warranty if you go that route.

Most start with a set of axleback exhaust. And sound preference is up to the person making the choice. Again, if you do a search on "exhaust", be prepared to read tons of posts here. The best way to purchase would be to attend some Mustang shows in your area and hear the exhaust note first hand from a 3.7 V6, and then decide what you want. The 3.7 V6 will always have a different exhaust note than the 5.0 V8, even if they have the same exhaust setup.

A strong recommendation would be to buy a CAI with a tuner/tune combination. If a CAI were to be bought by itself, then expect a nice piece of eye candy when the hood is opened, and a nice sound when you stomp the drive by wire pedal (some still call it a gas pedal, but there's no "gas" directly associated with it anymore). You can modify your stock air tube to do the same by removing the "muffler" on it's side and fiberglassing the hole (and paint). The stock air box flows as good as 85% of the CAI's being sold, and it will perform just as good with a tuner/tune if/when you get ready for that. The remaining 15% of CAI's are sold as a combination with a tuner. Choose wisley. If you plan to buy a tuner/tune, get a CAI that is designed to work with one.

And lastly, check with your local Ford service departments to verify they will work with you on any possible future warranty claims pertaining to drivetrain issues should you do any modifications.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Start with an exhaust man. My first mod and i love it. You'll get very small performance gains from a catback. But the sound will make you feel like your driving a racecar not just a sports car

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
Start with an exhaust man. My first mod and i love it. You'll get very small performance gains from a catback. But the sound will make you feel like your driving a racecar not just a sports car
Yea and what bucko said ^^^

Happy modding dude!
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

This! So glad it was my first decision. Wheels/Tires were second and suspension is next, hopefully Thursday! Have fun.
Jsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Are you happy with the stock shifter? My only complaint when test driving was the weird shifting experience, and I know a lot of guys feel the same. Since I just bought a 2014 as well, I don't want to void the warranty, so I'm considering getting the MGW shifter. Several others have said that it is a worthwhile first mod, so that's something to consider as well. Cheers.

Edit: nevermind I just read that you have an automatic. Whoops
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 AM ----------

Yea and what bucko said ^^^

Happy modding dude!
thanks guys i think ill start with the exhaust, but i thought the 2014 came with a pretty cool exhaust, the noise is not bad
Old 11-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I started with a CAI, its a quick, easy install and a great first mod. Oh and once you start modding, you can't stop, well at least for me lol. Hope you enjoy whatever mod you get, and have fun modding!
SouthFLV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thanks guys i think ill start with the exhaust, but i thought the 2014 came with a pretty cool exhaust, the noise is not bad
Good call bro. I thought the stock exhaust was pretty damn sweet, i was real impressed with it. Just not loud enough lol. You're gonna love it
Old 11-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good call bro. I thought the stock exhaust was pretty damn sweet, i was real impressed with it. Just not loud enough lol. You're gonna love it
Is there one you recommend?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:37 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not in general. Everyone will just tell you to buy the same one that they got do a search for exhausts in the forum to see what people think of the different kinds, and watch a ton of youtube clips to see what sounds good to your ears. I went to an exhaust shop and told them what i wanted my car to sound like and he whipped something up for me
Old 11-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

I agree with above. I spent hours and hours listening to clips and reading reviews. I knew I wanted something loud and mean. So going into it with an idea of what you want yiu can eliminate a few choices right away. Remember YouTube does t do most of these exhausts justice though. The sound in person. Is just....great. haha. Good luck!
Jsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
If you like the factory exhaust, get the Ford Racing Sport axle backs and you will fall in love. I had my dealer install them, they are made by Borla Stinger model. Everyone at the dealer says its the best sounding V6 they ever heard, and that it sounds better than a stock GT.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
With the car being new, gauge your dealers response to modifications. If they seem cool, ask for their input. Find a friendly service writer at your next oil change. I do my oil changes at the dealer during the warranty period. It costs just a little more, but that little bit goes a LONG WAY with some of them as far as building a relationship goes. (Think loyal customer "points")

If you don't find mod-nazi's at the dealer...And you want to get that throttle response you're looking for. I would do the following

1. Tune (Steeda if I were starting over, I went with Bama. At AmericanMuscle, they have a combo with an intake)
2. Intake (AirAid is what I went with. I would have skipped this if I were starting over and just did the tune, there's a combo at AmericanMuscle with a tuner)
3. Axleback (FRPP Tourings or a GT500 take-off set were my favorites. I went with the GT500's and saved about $500 installed)
1 and 2 can be done together, but to be honest a tune will serve more purpose, unless you just want a noisy intake)
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Start with an exhaust man. My first mod and i love it. You'll get very small performance gains from a catback. But the sound will make you feel like your driving a racecar not just a sports car ---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 AM ---------- Yea and what bucko said ^^^ Happy modding dude!
you can't go wrong with Borla Ataks, or anything Borla for that matter
ArlingtonStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonStang View Post
you can't go wrong with Borla Ataks, or anything Borla for that matter
Thats what i wanted to buy, but from what ive heard theyre very loud, i decided to keep it conservative cuz i figured once i get headers and an x-pipe it would be obnoxiously loud and i leave for work eaaaarly
Old 11-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #22
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Thats what i wanted to buy, but from what ive heard theyre very loud, i decided to keep it conservative cuz i figured once i get headers and an x-pipe it would be obnoxiously loud and i leave for work eaaaarly
You are to be commended for thinking this way. I'm in the same boat as you; I leave at 4:00 AM 3 days a week to drive from my home to Tampa; I like my neighbors, and they like me. I chose to keep it that way!
Old 11-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
You are to be commended for thinking this way. I'm in the same boat as you; I leave at 4:00 AM 3 days a week to drive from my home to Tampa; I like my neighbors, and they like me. I chose to keep it that way!
well I'm in high school so the louder the better!
ArlingtonStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
True that, i get along with my neighbors well and will like to keep it that way too jaja but i would like to mod the exhaust and then get the intake with a tuner to see at least somewhat of a change in my cars response...oh and I purchased this raxiom touchscreen that is a gps, bluetooth, and comes with a reverse camera. I think it is a sweet deal because by car is a base model and comes all plain, and this will definitly make my cruise more fun and for at least more than half the price that they would've charged me at the dealership.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="servs;1858542"] True that, i get along with my neighbors well and will like to keep it that way too jaja but i would like to mod the exhaust and then get the intake with a tuner to see at least somewhat of a change in my cars response...oh and I purchased this raxiom touchscreen that is a gps, bluetooth, and comes with a reverse camera. I think it is a sweet deal because by car is a base model and comes all plain, and this will definitly make my cruise more fun and for at least more than half the price that they would've charged me at the dealership.[/QUOTE
Hopefully you have sync otherwise the racism navi won't work
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=powerwhee;1858546]
Quote:
True that, i get along with my neighbors well and will like to keep it that way too jaja but i would like to mod the exhaust and then get the intake with a tuner to see at least somewhat of a change in my cars response...oh and I purchased this raxiom touchscreen that is a gps, bluetooth, and comes with a reverse camera. I think it is a sweet deal because by car is a base model and comes all plain, and this will definitly make my cruise more fun and for at least more than half the price that they would've charged me at the dealership.[/QUOTE
Hopefully you have sync otherwise the racism navi won't work
For real? actually i dont, but the package comes with a navigation antena and everything were it gets its signal from, i dont think i need sync as my antena....i need to check up on that.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

The racism navi? Haha dang autocorrect

But what he said is true, the Raxiom unit currently only works with Sync-equipped cars.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
The racism navi? Haha dang autocorrect

But what he said is true, the Raxiom unit currently only works with Sync-equipped cars.
That cant be good, do youll know if I can add sync to the car?
Old 11-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not sure, but it seems like it would probably not be worth the trouble of trying to convert it to Sync; in my mind I'm picturing changes in wiring to not only the center console, but also the steering wheel and instrument cluster, as well as actually changing the steering wheel due to the different buttons. If it were me, I would return the unit and either go a different aftermarket route or wait for Raxiom to release a version for non-Sync equipped cars.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #30
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Might head over to the audio section and see if there's some posts on this subject.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
I'm not sure, but it seems like it would probably not be worth the trouble of trying to convert it to Sync; in my mind I'm picturing changes in wiring to not only the center console, but also the steering wheel and instrument cluster, as well as actually changing the steering wheel due to the different buttons. If it were me, I would return the unit and either go a different aftermarket route or wait for Raxiom to release a version for non-Sync equipped cars.
yea imma probably gonna return the piece, that sucks, really looked forward getting that device...i know you could integrate sync on 2008-2009 models but havent heard any recent ones
Old 11-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yea imma probably gonna return the piece, that sucks, really looked forward getting that device...i know you could integrate sync on 2008-2009 models but havent heard any recent ones
I hear ya bro. Mines base too and i was very disappointed when i found out the rqxiom unit only works with sync

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
No applause, just throw money haha. Theres a lot of families on my street so i figured it was a smart idea. Plus i got a 2 year old, dont wanna deafen her in the backseat lol
Old 11-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
True that, i get along with my neighbors well and will like to keep it that way too jaja but i would like to mod the exhaust and then get the intake with a tuner to see at least somewhat of a change in my cars response...oh and I purchased this raxiom touchscreen that is a gps, bluetooth, and comes with a reverse camera. I think it is a sweet deal because by car is a base model and comes all plain, and this will definitly make my cruise more fun and for at least more than half the price that they would've charged me at the dealership.
If you put a catback on instead of an axleback you'll notice a little improvement in throttle response. I went up to 2.5" and they arent bent nearly flat over the axle like the stock ones were. Muuuuch less back pressure
Old 11-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you put a catback on instead of an axleback you'll notice a little improvement in throttle response. I went up to 2.5" and they arent bent nearly flat over the axle like the stock ones were. Muuuuch less back pressure
im gonna look into that thanks man, and yea sucks that thebase is literary base -.- jaja
Old 11-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
im gonna look into that thanks man, and yea sucks that thebase is literary base -.- jaja
Hahah ya it kinda does. Look at it as a blank canvas ready for you to turn it into your own masterpiece, thats what i do.

Plus the base rims are the nicest stock rims. Albeit theyre an inch or 2 too small lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang