2014 Auto V6 burnout - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
2014 Auto V6 burnout

I have an auto V6 and been looking around for the right way to do a burnout or is it even possible to do one. If there is already a write up on this please provide link or what is the best way to make my tires smoke?
ricketkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Why?

With an automatic, stand on the brakes with the left foot while mashing the drive by wire pedal with the right to get the RPM's as high as the limiter will allow, then let off with the left foot.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Traction Control being off helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Why?

With an automatic, stand on the brakes with the left foot while mashing the drive by wire pedal with the right to get the RPM's as high as the limiter will allow, then let off with the left foot.
Why did you ask why? I just hate the fact that my brothers 2012 Dodge charger base model can do a simple burnout with ease and it's an automatic also.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

You have to tune it and remove the restricter
SouthFLV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricketkm View Post
Why did you ask why? I just hate the fact that my brothers 2012 Dodge charger base model can do a simple burnout with ease and it's an automatic also.
Solved.. get a Dodge to do burnouts, and keep the Mustang for everything else that makes them the best!
Old 11-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Ford changed the transmission tune on all Mustangs in 2013. Turning off traction control doesn't do any good. The torque management will limit the car to 2,000 rpm if you try to do a brake stand burnout.

You have to get a tune that overrides that system, then turn off TCS and Advance track (step on the brake and hold the TCS button until you get the Advance Track off notice in the message center). Then you can do brake stand burnout.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have another question to add to this. For a 13/14 v6 auto. What's the best way to launch it for a quarter mile run?
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Best is variable - what are your suspension changes, what tires, how is the track prep, what it is the temperature that day?

On my car with a stock suspension other than HotPart LCA's and a pair of Mickey Thompson drag radials in 275-50x15 with 20lbs of pressure I usually get my best times if I bring it up to 1800 rpm. Sometimes though weather changes or the track prep is different after many passes and I need to go up to 2000 or even drop to 1000 or adjust the tire pressure. Trial and error some days.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Just an FYI, on my 2013 V6 Auto it was entirely stock and next to me on a performance test oval was a 2007 GT. I just put it in Sport mode and when the girl dropped the flag I floored it. No power breaking at all, no tire chirp. The GT guy must have done the same but his tires chirped a little and I was in the lead until the turn at 2/3 mile when I let up to let him pass so I could enjoy doing Apex turns without him near me.

This was not racing as no timing or competition was involved, but just sayin'
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Solved.. get a Dodge to do burnouts, and keep the Mustang for everything else that makes them the best!
That makes my Mornin' Bucko
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
LOL nah I'm good don't need a tank for a car, I'll pass...
Old 11-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:
this country is going to s#it you might need a tank soon
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Dang. Does the manual V6 do the same thing?
My '11 GT manual doesn't have that ****. Just the advancetrac but I can disable that.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Great thinking on your part!

When I was in the "next car to buy" market, I had it down between the Challanger and the Mustang. I did some research and found out the Challager shares the same frame as the 300; beautiful example of the Challengers of the 70's, but since it did not have a sporty enough frame arrangement, and it was heavy, I went with the Mustang.

Still like the looks of the Challenger (not a fan though of the Charger), but like the Mustang more.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Dang. Does the manual V6 do the same thing?
My '11 GT manual doesn't have that ****. Just the advancetrac but I can disable that.
The torque management is an automatic thing - and it is on both the V8 and V6.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have an auto V6 and been looking around for the right way to do a burnout or is it even possible to do one. If there is already a write up on this please provide link or what is the best way to make my tires smoke?
I have figured out a way to "bypass" the restrictor on the autos with stock tune..

1.turn traction control off and put car in sport mode and into 3rd gear
2. hit brake and gas at the same time and let the RPM's max out, then quickly drop it all the way into 1st gear (completely skip 2nd gear)...This lets the tires break loose.
3. Let em' burn, you're welcome.
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Impact View Post
I have figured out a way to "bypass" the restrictor on the autos with stock tune..

2. hit brake and gas at the same time and let the RPM's max out, then quickly drop it all the way into 1st gear (completely skip 2nd gear)...This lets the tires break loose.
Lol the things ppl will do to show off

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Good info though I guess
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Good info though I guess
Lol, I messed around with it for awhile til i figured out how to break em loose..I mainly just wanted to have the satisfaction to know i could do it if i wanted to, plus it makes for awesome pics.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #20
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

Good info though I guess
Or not!
Old 11-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Deep_Impact you should definitely post a video! Would be awesome
colemaneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
I have figured out a way to "bypass" the restrictor on the autos with stock tune.. 1.turn traction control off and put car in sport mode and into 3rd gear 2. hit brake and gas at the same time and let the RPM's max out, then quickly drop it all the way into 1st gear (completely skip 2nd gear)...This lets the tires break loose. 3. Let em' burn, you're welcome.
does this mess anything up except your tires
2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 View Post
does this mess anything up except your tires
I wouldn't think so, or i hope not at least lol. However, I wouldn't make it a habit .
Old 11-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I wouldn't think so, or i hope not at least lol. However, I wouldn't make it a habit .
You are doing a variation of a neutral drop it sounds like. So you use sport mode to put the car in third and then hit the +/- button twice to get to first?

As far as damage, why risk it when a simple tune takes care of it?
Old 11-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I guess my thinking has been all wrong for the past 50 plus years.

I have always opted for as much traction as I could get on every car I have ever owned. I like the car to hook up and just plain go.
When using slicks I would use water to get the tires spinning to heat them up at the drag strip but never with street tires.
I had a few cars with what they call a line lock installed to lock the front wheels that made it much easier on the drive train when heating up the slicks.
As far as street tires, All I ask is "WHY"???? Some of these new compound street tires spin way to easy and don't really make noise or smoke much at all. But, they do break loose easy.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That sounds good but you should post a video for us to see. Do you stay on both gas and breaks in 1st gear ? This sounds like it would break something has anyone else tried this ?
Old 11-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

DUH !!!!!!!

Ricketkm said:
Quote:
sounds like it would break something has anyone else tried this ?
I don't think it would be to good on a transmission.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You are doing a variation of a neutral drop it sounds like. So you use sport mode to put the car in third and then hit the +/- button twice to get to first?

As far as damage, why risk it when a simple tune takes care of it?
Yes you're correct. I plan on getting a tune at somepoint, but I don't really want to void my warranty with only 15k miles on it. I just like to know that it can burn tires until then.
Quote:
That sounds good but you should post a video for us to see. Do you stay on both gas and breaks in 1st gear ? This sounds like it would break something has anyone else tried this ?
I'll try to get a video up.. might be next week, the weather is supposed to be nasty here the next few days. Yes i stay on both gas and brakes..the higher you throw you're rpms the quicker they'll smoke..just don't keep it at 7k lol. just let off the brake when you're ready to stop, easy as that. It doesn't make any bad noises or anything.. but like i said above, I wouldnt make it a habit.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Ricketkm said:

I don't think it would be to good on a transmission.
Ronnie
Nothing we do with our cars is probably "good" for our transmissions..whether is racing, burning out, or tuning our cars. If someone did this on a daily basis i would be concerned with tranny issues, but not if you only do it every once in awhile. Just my $.02.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes you're correct. I plan on getting a tune at somepoint, but I don't really want to void my warranty with only 15k miles on it. I just like to know that it can burn tires until then.

I'll try to get a video up.. might be next week, the weather is supposed to be nasty here the next few days. Yes i stay on both gas and brakes..the higher you throw you're rpms the quicker they'll smoke..just don't keep it at 7k lol. just let off the brake when you're ready to stop, easy as that. It doesn't make any bad noises or anything.. but like i said above, I wouldnt make it a habit.
Didn't think a tune voided the warranty. Only if the tune caused the problem and Ford must prove that.

My wife works a Ford dealership and that how they handle issues.

If you are worried change the tune back to stock before you take it in.
randy5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy5128 View Post
Didn't think a tune voided the warranty. Only if the tune caused the problem and Ford must prove that.

My wife works a Ford dealership and that how they handle issues.

If you are worried change the tune back to stock before you take it in.
Yes but finding a dealership that isn't going to immediatly blame it on a tune would be tough.. My buddy had a 13 that had wiring/starter problem and they charged him because it was tuned, but he also didn't try to fight it either..Even if you return it to stock there are ways of Ford telling if the car has been tuned (im pretty sure, but correct me if i'm wrong). The only tune I would trust before my warranty is up is Steeda since they work closely with Ford and will also back you up to help prove to the dealerships the tune did not cause the problem.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes but finding a dealership that isn't going to immediatly blame it on a tune would be tough.. My buddy had a 13 that had wiring/starter problem and they charged him because it was tuned, but he also didn't try to fight it either..Even if you return it to stock there are ways of Ford telling if the car has been tuned (im pretty sure, but correct me if i'm wrong). The only tune I would trust before my warranty is up is Steeda since they work closely with Ford and will also back you up to help prove to the dealerships the tune did not cause the problem.
I had her ask the service manager and he told it was hard for Ford to prove the tune or performance part caused the problem. He said put Ford performance part on and you will never have issues.
randy5128 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang