ASA with a tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #1

Region: Texas
ASA with a tune

Hello everyone. Have enjoyed your post and comments. I'm a new member form South Texas.
I understand that the 3.7 has adaptive spark advance, which used knock sensors to optimize the engine's performance based on the octane of the fuel being used. How will a tune affect this. Could the car be loaded with, say a 93 octane tune and the car still be driven safely with 87 octane, but only with a decrease in performance due to the lower grade of fuel? What about the reverse, an 87 tune but use 93 octane?
Last Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Horse View Post
Hello everyone. Have enjoyed your post and comments. I'm a new member form South Texas.
I understand that the 3.7 has adaptive spark advance, which used knock sensors to optimize the engine's performance based on the octane of the fuel being used. How will a tune affect this. Could the car be loaded with, say a 93 octane tune and the car still be driven safely with 87 octane, but only with a decrease in performance due to the lower grade of fuel? What about the reverse, an 87 tune but use 93 octane?
Using 93 octane in a stock tune or 87 tune is just fine. Never use 87 in a 93 tune, the tuners get more aggressive in the timing tables/curves. The knock sensor will be working very hard and according to tuner companies you can suffer engine damage.

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Using 93 octane in a stock tune or 87 tune is just fine. Never use 87 in a 93 tune, the tuners get more aggressive in the timing tables/curves. The knock sensor will be working very hard and according to tuner companies you can suffer engine damage.

Art
What ArtU says.

What some folks do (myself included) is to carry the tuner with them when they go on an out of state trip. I run an MRT 93 octane tune, but understand that I may not get 93 octane out of the state of Florida. If this happens, I can download the 91 or 87 octane tune to adjust for the octane I can get while traveling.

A pain, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You can use 93 octane in a stock tuned Mustang

If you want to use 93 or 89 octane in your car Mustang that has not been tuned it will run fine. It will also run fine using 87 octane.
Some on here say that putting 93 in a standard tune Mustang will make it run better. I have tried all three and notice absolutely "NO" difference in miles per gallon or performance. All I noticed was the higher octane gas just cost more.
Now, It will be a lot different if you go for a tuner and get the 93 tune. I'm pretty sure if you get your Mustang tuned to run on 89 or 93 it will actually produce more power due to the tune will adjust the timing for the higher octane. If you tune for 93 and put 87 in you may get spark knock and that would not be good.
You can also get an 87 octane tune and if you have the automatic transmission your car will shift much better and the engine will put out a little more power due to computer changes.
When Ford created the Tune they have to worry about the EPA, State emission laws all across the country and averaging out driving habits so everyone can be happy with the way the cars act. It's not the best way to create power. The tuner company's will tune for individual owners preferences and get the very most power out of the car and not induce engine trouble.
You can also get a custom Dyno tune that squeezes all it can out of the engine. Probably not the best way to go on a street car but sure great for getting an engine to really come alive.

One really good thing is there are tuners like Bama that will give you a new tune when you put another DooDad or two on your car and keep the tune up to date.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

A DooDad....I haven't heard that since my last trip to Millers, and that was a long time ago!

Hope to see you at the turkey rod run Ronnie.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'll be there

I will be parking with the Tropical Detroit Muscle car club.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
What what I understand from bama is that an 87 tune is not much over stock. You get the basic trans fixings for and auto and some low end grunt. The timings and stuff won't change till you go with an 89 or higher tune. I'm no comment on whether you will still have a spark advance but I'm sure you will to some degree. But usually, you order the tune and octane you want and stick with it.

For example. I'm about to fill up with 89 to load my performance tune. I'm on 87 street right now. On my drive home I will comment about it. I don't believe in switching tunes like that out in public. If it bricks, it's best at my house.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang