Is an Airaid Cold Air Intake worth it without a tuner? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-16-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Is an Airaid Cold Air Intake worth it without a tuner?

I want to add a Airaid Cold Air Intake to feel a little more response in my car but is it worth it without a tuner?
servs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2013, 02:33 AM   #2

Region: Tennessee
No, Get the tuner first, the CAI mostly just makes more noise. The CAI makes so little difference that they don't even update the tune for adding one. Same for axle backs, no change to the tune.
trustyrusty436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
IMO it's worth it. You'll get noticeable throttle response, *potentially* better mpg, and the biggest and most noticeable is the sound difference above 3k. Most people buy it for that alone, as the other two are minuscule. It sounds like a whole new beast the first time you stomp on it. Is it a justifiable $270 mod? Depends who you ask. For me, that's a yes.
Dhawk1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Get it, I did.

I got it for the eye candy when I opened my hood. After installing it I found better throttle response as well as the great sound it puts out when you stomp on the throttle. Plus, It really does look great when I pop my hood open.

I had a drop in K&N filter in my car before the Airaid and I noticed no difference in performance, sound or throttle response from the stock Ford filter when I put that in.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #5
CVH
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by servs View Post
I want to add a Airaid Cold Air Intake to feel a little more response in my car but is it worth it without a tuner?
The CAI was my first upgrade. It made a sweet sound after installation. If that's what your going for, then it's worth it. It looks great when you open the hood also.
If your looking for performance, it will not make a noticeable difference alone. It works very well with a full exhaust and revised tune. That's when it counts (breathing).
You are going to get many opinions as to worth it or not. I suggest listening to a couple of YouTube videos. Of course that will increase the "want".
Just cleaned my Airaid filter yesterday! Looks bright again I put on 23k miles before it started looking dirty. (South Florida) I'm thinking about the pre filter. Anyone have this on?
CVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
The Airaid is my next mod (Since I don't really feel like spending all that money on some wheels right now....might do that when I upgrade to a GT in the future).

One random thought I'm having is that you might be getting the new throttle response from disconnecting your battery and allowing the system to reset instead of the new CAI.

Would I be wrong in thinking this?
Old 11-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. As others have said it looks nice and improves your cars sound and is a good starting point if you continue to mod.

I say go for it.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Very good point

I thought of that but my Airaid has been installed for over 4,000 miles and I'm still satisfied with the way my Mustang is running. I have not disconnected the battery since the installation.
It also may be the fact that my car is broken in better now.
Anyway, I'm happy I have it and I love the looks and sound. If I had to do it again ""I WOULD""

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderfreak145 View Post
The Airaid is my next mod (Since I don't really feel like spending all that money on some wheels right now....might do that when I upgrade to a GT in the future). One random thought I'm having is that you might be getting the new throttle response from disconnecting your battery and allowing the system to reset instead of the new CAI. Would I be wrong in thinking this?
You can just go romp around town and drive aggressive for 10-15 minutes too. It will adjust like doing the battery reset. Either way will get you the same results.

The throttle response you gain from the CAI is noticeable from stock too.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Not really worth it without a tuner. Our stangs came with a quality stock cold air intake that is almost as efficient as aftermarket. For $300, i dont think theyre worth it. Look into drop-in filters and if you want the sound cut off your intakes silencer and fiberglass it, or find a stainless tube to replace the section with the silencer
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

thanks guys, i think ill go for it, besides it is probably the only mod i can go for without voiding the car warranty
Old 11-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thanks guys, i think ill go for it, besides it is probably the only mod i can go for without voiding the car warranty
Exhaust mod? I don't think Axle backs void any warranty.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Exhaust mod? I don't think Axle backs void any warranty.
They dont? i needa talk to my dealership about that one
Old 11-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They dont? i needa talk to my dealership about that one
I'm fairly certain they don't, up to the dealer though
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Technically you can do anything you want. When problems arise thats when they can start blaming them on ur mods. Cai's are ok by some dealers. Cai tuner combos arent. If your dealer is cool theyll let you do more than you expect. Keep all ur stock parts too cuz if theyre cool ford put the stock parts back on an act as if aftermarket ones werent on to begin with (thats what my dealer said)

Really what it comes down to is how big your balls are and how much you are willing to risk lol.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

I put a catback on my car cuz really the only thing i can see them blaming the exhaust for would be if my catalytic converters failed. My service manager said he'd take my exhaust off and cover my *** by hiding it if it came down to it. You got a mustang, they cant sell you one then say dont do anything to it lol thats just preposterous.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #16

Region: California
Do it! Like people have said, you won't see any noticeable power gains, but it sounds great over 3 grand, and is something you'll buy eventually if you mod the engine at all. I got an Airaid, and am very pleased. Keep an eye out on forums, and get a used one, I got one with 1k miles for under 200 shipped. 300 is a bit much to spend imo.
Dick Dubloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks , yea it doesn't void my warranty and prefer to put at least something to the car thanks for the advice.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I picked one up and love it! I noticed an increase in throttle response but sound is amazing! Next mod will be a tune.
13BlackStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Just because you mod your car doesn't mean it will void your warranty. You can read the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act.

A CAI an tune will yield you most power than just a CAI. Depending on your budget ... you can piece it together or get it all at once.

Let me know if i can help you with anything? You can reach me at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Just because you mod your car doesn't mean it will void your warranty. You can read the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. A CAI an tune will yield you most power than just a CAI. Depending on your budget ... you can piece it together or get it all at once. Let me know if i can help you with anything? You can reach me at tim@steeda.com. Best Regards, TJ
No magnusson-morris act in canada, we're on our own here
Old 11-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Nope on power gains but will sound darn awesome when WOT.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Absolutely! I went through this same process and my Airaid was my 3rd mod and I'm really, really, really glad I did it. I plan on adding axle backs next and a tuner after the warranty runs out. That way I'll have something to look forward to after I've gotten used to the way she runs now, which I'm completely stoked with. Obviously, I say go for it.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Just because you mod your car doesn't mean it will void your warranty. You can read the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act.

A CAI an tune will yield you most power than just a CAI. Depending on your budget ... you can piece it together or get it all at once.

Let me know if i can help you with anything? You can reach me at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ

For reals? beacuse i asked my dealership and they said that if i added the tuner it will be voided :/

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I got it for the eye candy when I opened my hood. After installing it I found better throttle response as well as the great sound it puts out when you stomp on the throttle. Plus, It really does look great when I pop my hood open.

I had a drop in K&N filter in my car before the Airaid and I noticed no difference in performance, sound or throttle response from the stock Ford filter when I put that in.

Ronnie
yea ill probably get it for the eye candy as well haha looks good on your stang
Old 12-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #24

Quote:

For reals? beacuse i asked my dealership and they said that if i added the tuner it will be voided :/

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

yea ill probably get it for the eye candy as well haha looks good on your stang

Does anyone have the stock airbox tube they are willing to part with? I'm trading in my 2013 v6- manual and in need of just the tube that connects the air filter box to the throttle body. Willing to trade parts and or pay for shipping etc ...
smarinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarinak View Post
Does anyone have the stock airbox tube they are willing to part with? I'm trading in my 2013 v6- manual and in need of just the tube that connects the air filter box to the throttle body. Willing to trade parts and or pay for shipping etc ...
what do you have for parts you are willing to trade?
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
what do you have for parts you are willing to trade?
Hey, tried to pm you but your inbox seems full. Do you have a strut tower brace on your car? I bought the ford oem boss 302 strut tower brace (same one that's on the v6 PP) from AM and I've only had it on for a few months- if you want it I'd be more than happy to trade you for the intake tube - it beats putting it on eBay and waiting.
smarinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarinak View Post
Hey, tried to pm you but your inbox seems full. Do you have a strut tower brace on your car? I bought the ford oem boss 302 strut tower brace (same one that's on the v6 PP) from AM and I've only had it on for a few months- if you want it I'd be more than happy to trade you for the intake tube - it beats putting it on eBay and waiting.
thats a go..... Pm me pls i just emptied my inbox
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cold air intake