Transmission Troubles - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Transmission Troubles

Well I think I really screwed up my car.

I know nothing about cars. I've spent all my life knowing nothing about cars but today I got up, looked in the mirror and said "Today I shall learn how to change my oil". If only it were that simple. So I went out and bought the correct weight in oil for my 2010 v6 automatic Mustang along with a bucket for oil, a funnel and an oil filter. So I jacked up my car, took out the oil filter and started looking for the drain plug. After a minute I found it. "Hmm", I thought, "that's kind of far back for the oil plug" but I continued anyway. If you know anything about cars you might have a guess as to what I did. so after it all drained I started adding oil. I added 3 quarts and then checked the dipstick and found that I am already over. So I start my car thinking it will disperse the oil so i can get a better reading. After leaving it running for 10 min and a quick drive around the block I retest it. I'm Still over. So i go down and drain the same plug again. then put 1 quart into my car and find that I'm even more over now than I was earlier. So after doing some research I have found that I drained my transmission fluid not once but twice. And since the 2010 v6 mustangs don't have dipsticks to guage the level of transmission fluid I don't know how much to add. I've found that the transmission takes 12 quarts but have also found that the transmission can only be drained of 6 at a time?

So if anyone could help a car illiterate like myself figure out how to guage how much transmission fluid I need, I would greatly appreciate it. I understand that I need a special pump to do it, Mercon V and a fill adapter.
ajrichey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Should be two plugs on the trans, one to drain and one to fill. Fill to 1/2 inch of fill plug.

Don't forget to drain your engine oil either.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #3

The 2010 v6 Mustang does not have a fill plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrichey View Post
The 2010 v6 Mustang does not have a fill plug.
Dunno how the trannys are set-up on the newer stangs but I had to change the fluid in my old 95' after putting a new clutch in, there was only 1 plug, no dipstick (basically stick a finger in and feel for fluid lol) and seeing as it was in a suuuuper awkward spot i had to macguver a hose to the bottle of fluid to pour it from the engine bay (made it much easier)

Atleast you tried and wanna learn. We all make mistakes, just always do your research in advance and you'll do fine. Being able to work on your own car is a great feeling.
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
You need to drain the engine oil - too much oil is bad. And don't go driving around with the fluid drained from your transmission because you will damage it.

To fill the transmission you have to use an adapter that goes into the center of the transmission drain plug. You have to pump the fluid up into the transmission.

But in order to do it properly and fill it all the way you have to pump about 7 quarts in, then turn the car on and get the transmission up to temperature and pump more fluid in - not easy if you are laying on your back under a hot car. And the best method is to then have the car running and in gear while you pump the remaining fluid in - so even more danger because you add the spinning driveshaft to the mix along with the hot exhaust etc. You know when you have enough each time when the fluid starts to run out of the fill adapter.

That process is why each time I changed it myself I then took it in to the dealer to have them recheck and fill the fluid up to the proper level.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

The automatic has a drain plug on the bottom of the pan, and that plug is also the fill plug (it is two piece with a center section that comes out). Very different from your 95 and the manual transmission.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You need to drain the engine oil - too much oil is bad. And don't go driving around with the fluid drained from your transmission because you will damage it. To fill the transmission you have to use an adapter that goes into the center of the transmission drain plug. You have to pump the fluid up into the transmission. But in order to do it properly and fill it all the way you have to pump about 7 quarts in, then turn the car on and get the transmission up to temperature and pump more fluid in - not easy if you are laying on your back under a hot car. And the best method is to then have the car running and in gear while you pump the remaining fluid in - so even more danger because you add the spinning driveshaft to the mix along with the hot exhaust etc. You know when you have enough each time when the fluid starts to run out of the fill adapter. That process is why each time I changed it myself I then took it in to the dealer to have them recheck and fill the fluid up to the proper level. ---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ---------- The automatic has a drain plug on the bottom of the pan, and that plug is also the fill plug (it is two piece with a center section that comes out). Very different from your 95 and the manual transmission.
Agreed. I was just tryin to ease his mind a lil lol. Id be sh*ttin if i thought i messed my car up. With his knowledge of cars it would prob be best to drain the oil to full level then carefully bring it to the nearest shop to get tranny topped up, if there wasnt too much drained..
Old 11-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Well I think I really screwed up my car.

I know nothing about cars. I've spent all my life knowing nothing about cars but today I got up, looked in the mirror and said "Today I shall learn how to change my oil". If only it were that simple. So I went out and bought the correct weight in oil for my 2010 v6 automatic Mustang along with a bucket for oil, a funnel and an oil filter. So I jacked up my car, took out the oil filter and started looking for the drain plug. After a minute I found it. "Hmm", I thought, "that's kind of far back for the oil plug" but I continued anyway. If you know anything about cars you might have a guess as to what I did. so after it all drained I started adding oil. I added 3 quarts and then checked the dipstick and found that I am already over. So I start my car thinking it will disperse the oil so i can get a better reading. After leaving it running for 10 min and a quick drive around the block I retest it. I'm Still over. So i go down and drain the same plug again. then put 1 quart into my car and find that I'm even more over now than I was earlier. So after doing some research I have found that I drained my transmission fluid not once but twice. And since the 2010 v6 mustangs don't have dipsticks to guage the level of transmission fluid I don't know how much to add. I've found that the transmission takes 12 quarts but have also found that the transmission can only be drained of 6 at a time?

So if anyone could help a car illiterate like myself figure out how to guage how much transmission fluid I need, I would greatly appreciate it. I understand that I need a special pump to do it, Mercon V and a fill adapter.
It is really really bad to run an automatic trans with no fluid. There is a pump inside the transmissions that lubercates the clutch packs and without lubercation they get to hot and wear down quiqckly. The pump in the transmission also has liquid cooled bearings in it and without lubercation they fail. My op is definately put proper new trans fluid in Google how to do that for your make and year and pray to the lord your tranny doesn't fail out of warranty. Also drain the engine oil and do it the right way this time also let me add you dident ruin your transmission at all. Just don't start it or drive it until you're Curtin the trans and engine oil are at the correct levels.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
Agreed. I was just tryin to ease his mind a lil lol. Id be sh*ttin if i thought i messed my car up. With his knowledge of cars it would prob be best to drain the oil to full level then carefully bring it to the nearest shop to get tranny topped up, if there wasnt too much drained..
You're out of your mind if your even considering starting a car that's an automatic with no tranny fluid. It will fail very fast.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
It is really really bad to run an automatic trans with no fluid. There is a pump inside the transmissions that lubercates the clutch packs and without lubercation they get to hot and wear down quiqckly. The pump in the transmission also has liquid cooled bearings in it and without lubercation they fail. My op is definately put proper new trans fluid in Google how to do that for your make and year and pray to the lord your tranny doesn't fail out of warranty. Also drain the engine oil and do it the right way this time. ---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ---------- You're out of your mind if your even considering starting a car that's an automatic with no tranny fluid. It will fail very fast.
1) i dont know the amount he has drained 2) its drained in stages so its not dry 3) transmission fluid does NOT look like engine oil, doesnt take a rocket scientist to see the difference in colour.

I dont know jack about automatics and dont need too cuz the only ones i ever own are company trucks which are worked on by a company mechanic.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

1) i dont know the amount he has drained
2) its drained in stages so its not dry
3) transmission fluid does NOT look like engine oil, doesnt take a rocket scientist to see the difference in colour.
I'm not saying he ruined it but it would be very UN wise to start it up again.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not saying he ruined it but it would be very UN wise to start it up again.
Quite, i can agree with that but i think it could be just as risky to fill it to proper levels if he had no idea he was draining it in the first place. Like i said ive only ever topped a manual up and the process explained for an automatic seems like an incredible pain in the ***. Especially for a newbie. Lol just tow it to a shop
Old 11-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Quite, i can agree with that but i think it could be just as risky to fill it to proper levels if he had no idea he was draining it in the first place. Like i said ive only ever topped a manual up and the process explained for an automatic seems like an incredible pain in the ***. Especially for a newbie. Lol just tow it to a shop
I have to change my tranny fluid every year because I have high friction raceing clutch packs and a shift kit. I'm not shire where the confusion of it being difficult came from. Dew to the fact he messsed up with the engine oil I would say yes have a shop do it. But DO NOT BRING IT TO FORD THEY WILL VOID YOUR WARRENTY. Also defiantly have it towed and don't put it in neutral and don't let it be towed with a dolly. Flat bed truck or a u haul trailer only I repeat NO DOLLYS. A guy I know rented a u haul dolly and towed a rwd truck by its front wheels and left the rear dive wheels on the pavement in nutral. It was an automatic and without the pump in the tranny lubercaiting everything he ruind the tranny.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #12

Thank you everyone for all the help you've given me. Getting a ride in the morning to the autoparts store to hopefully get everything i need to correctly fix both problems.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have to change my tranny fluid every year because I have high friction raceing clutch packs and a shift kit. I'm not shire where the confusion of it being difficult came from .
So you got an auto right?
I wouldnt say its difficult, just finicky work. the process of it that was explained seemed like it wasnt for a first timer thats for sure, with adapters and whatnot. I'd have loaded it up and brought in myself in that situation too lol.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thank you everyone for all the help you've given me. Getting a ride in the morning to the autoparts store to hopefully get everything i need to correctly fix both problems.
I wish you luck, it really shouldent be to hard. Look at YouTube videos before going any further though. And your baby should be fine.

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

Quote:

So you got an auto right?
I wouldnt say its difficult, just finicky work. the process of it that was explained seemed like it wasnt for a first timer thats for sure, with adapters and whatnot. I'd have loaded it up and brought in myself in that situation too lol.
Yea I have an auto. Doing a tranny flush is hard to do, thats what your probobly mistaking it with. For me I just drain it, drop the pan put a new filter in, put the pan back on (i have a reuseible gaskit) then put 7 quarts in start it and fill it a little at a time. I have a b&m tranny cooler so mine takes 10 quarts lol. I have to use full syenthetic mobile 1 ATF also so it costs me $90 bucks it really sucks but it's all worth it for the crisp hard shifts
Old 11-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #15

Quote:
I wish you luck, it really shouldent be to hard. Look at YouTube videos before going any further though. And your baby should be fine.
Yeah I looked up a few videos and a few guides and have figured out everything I need to fix it. Looking up all the Trans fluid, addapter, pump, and new oil it's going to set me back about a hundred bucks. Once I get it all done I will now know how to change my oil properly and how to change and refill my transmission fluid. It's a costly mistake for a college kid but one I'm sure I can learn from.

Thanks again everyone for all you're advice and warning.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea I have an auto. Doing a tranny flush is hard to do, thats what your probobly mistaking it with. For me I just drain it, drop the pan put a new filter in, put the pan back on (i have a reuseible gaskit) then put 7 quarts in start it and fill it a little at a time. I have a b&m tranny cooler so mine takes 10 quarts lol. I have to use full syenthetic mobile 1 ATF also so it costs me $90 bucks it really sucks but it's all worth it for the crisp hard shifts
That sounds waaay easier, and def worth it in the end lol. Only the best for our babes!
Old 11-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That sounds waaay easier, and def worth it in the end lol. Only the best for our babes!
Amen to that brother

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang