Steeda question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Steeda question

So does anyone have the steeda intake for their 3.7 mustang?? I'm looking to get it cuz it has to have a tune for it.

So has anyone have experience with this intake? If so was it worth it? You can see numbers and claims but rather have somebody's opinion.

Thanks!!

(Yes I do have a tuner and free tunes for life with AM)
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Earlier this year I switched from a JLT to a Steeda. Honestly I can't really tell the throttle response difference. The only thing I can say is that it looks a lot more mean under the hood and it uses the factory air inlet compared to the JLT. Plus I'm told the metal heat shield helps with reducing heat temps. Overall I would say go with it, but that's just my personal opinion. At the end of the day you have to go with what you want. Hope this helps
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
The airflow is also smoother when it enters and exits the Steed CAI. You can read about it here:

Quote:
The air filter is a special composite nano-particle element that is extremely effective at stopping ambient debris and dirt – yet it also allows for maximum air-flow by being less restrictive than most other filters on the market. This filter incorporates a special inner pleating design that affords maximum surface area – key for ensuring a smooth and uninterrupted flow of incoming air
Why Steeda Cold Air Intakes Blow Away The ‘Competition’ � Steeda Blog

Purchasing a Steeda Cold Air Intake is a great decision.

Let me know if I can help with one ... you can reach me at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have one. It's amazing. Sounds really aggressive and it whistles while you accelerate. Definitely get one!
BryanGTR169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Everyone always told me not the believe info from the companies websites
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
The airflow is also smoother when it enters and exits the Steed CAI. You can read about it here: Why Steeda Cold Air Intakes Blow Away The ‘Competition’ � Steeda Blog Purchasing a Steeda Cold Air Intake is a great decision. Let me know if I can help with one ... you can reach me at tim@steeda.com. Best Regards, TJ
Tim -
Can you comment on steeda's cai and tunes and the support offered to resolve any factory warranty issues a dealer may blame on the part or tune? I'm looking at both but would like a better idea of how steeda's support would work. Thanks!
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can you comment on steeda's cai and tunes and the support offered to resolve any factory warranty issues a dealer may blame on the part or tune? I'm looking at both but would like a better idea of how steeda's support would work. Thanks!
A failure from a tune, particularly our tunes is extremely rare. The tunes we send out are the same tunes used in our Steeda serialized vehicles sold through Ford dealers. Vehicles that are backed by a warranty, hence need to have a tune that is not going to cause us warranty issues.

Should an engine failure occur, we would work with the Ford dealer for proper diagnostics, this would include not only traditional diagnostics but things such as fuel octane testing and other techniques to fully determine the cause of failure. Should it be determined that indeed the tuning was the cause of the engine failure and not abuse, over revving, improper fuel octane, etc, then we would work with the customer on resolving the failure.

You are in good hands when you run with Steeda.

Best Regards,

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 11-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
The airflow is also smoother when it enters and exits the Steed CAI. You can read about it here:

Why Steeda Cold Air Intakes Blow Away The ‘Competition’ � Steeda Blog

Purchasing a Steeda Cold Air Intake is a great decision.

Let me know if I can help with one ... you can reach me at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
What are the wheel HP and tq gains with a steeda CAI and 93 octane tune?
Also are there any discount codes for the forum or anything?

Thanks
Torch10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I had one on my 3.7 and it looked good and performed well. That being said I won't be putting a CAI on the boss BC the gains just aren't there. Any CAI on a 11+ mustang won't give you enough gains to justify the price until you go FI
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The gains on the 3.7 CAI with a tune are:

Combined with the required custom tune using an SCT X3 Flash programming device we have achieved dramatic power increases of up to 20hp and 30ft/lbs of torque!

Best Regards,

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 11-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Granted most of that is the tune not the intake. I love Steeda but the intake itself may give you 5 max HP
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
Granted most of that is the tune not the intake. I love Steeda but the intake itself may give you 5 max HP
Yes, the only reason why companies have such high hp and torq gains are because of how they dyne the car. For one, they do it inside, which means cooler air and two they have the hood popped open which allows the CAI to really suck in cold air. In my opinion your probably best off with either an air aid, JLT, or BBK one because they do two things for an NA engine equally and all for the same price. They up the looks and give that nice mini turbo sound which for me was enough of a reason to shell out the couple hundred dinero for the air aid.

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoney View Post
Yes, the only reason why companies have such high hp and torq gains are because of how they dyne the car. For one, they do it inside, which means cooler air and two they have the hood popped open which allows the CAI to really suck in cold air. In my opinion your probably best off with either an air aid, JLT, or BBK one because they do two things for an NA engine equally and all for the same price. They up the looks and give that nice mini turbo sound which for me was enough of a reason to shell out the couple hundred dinero for the air aid.
On another forum one member ran an independent dyno comparing airaid to steeda cai. Tune was MPT with MAF adjusted. Didn't sound like other aspects of tune were changed. Picked up nice HP (+10-15)and TQ (+23) with the steeda over the airaid. Hood was up for dyno and dyno was different days, although that's a pretty good bump on the dyno chart. http://www.fastfordmuscle.com/index....eda-cai/page-3

Anyone looked into virtualdyno? It's a freeware in car dyno program. Seems well respected among the evo and wrx tuners. Takes datalog and car data to calculate hp and TQ. Seems like a good way to do a hood closed comparison of stock vs cai vs different cai. I asked the developer to add the 3.7 to the list but I need to either track my car or find an empty flat strip to do a 3rd gear run. Maybe some of the members here who track their car would be interested and post some charts?
http://www.virtualdyno.net
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Here is my dyno run a few months ago comparing my Steeda, MPT and Bama Hybrid tune. All my tunes were 91 octane. I am happy with the Steeda results and are comparable to my bama and MPT tunes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	N_uN002qKzN32kNSvnI2ZMODaHfib4r1Q2n2-K_tzfo.png
Views:	216
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	137346
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I am kind a lost here I am looking to get an Intake for 14V6 I was looking to get the airaid and bama combo from amercian muscle. After reading this I am having second thoughts and now I am interesting in the steeda intake but what I want to know is what tuner should I get? I like the bama support where you get free tune for life, MPT seems like you have to pay for the tunes. Does steeda has it's own tuner? Also I have a lease vehicle so I definitely don't want to void the warranty, even though I am planning on keeping the car after the lease is up.
ricketkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

We use SCT as we have found them to be a great platform for tuning the Mustang.

We also offer the tunes for life program ... we will upgrade your tune for free regardless of the product you purchase.

Best Regards,

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 12-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I saw this video with guy a getting 301whp with just STEEDA intake and a tune?

Old 12-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricketkm View Post
I saw this video with guy a getting 301whp with just STEEDA intake and a tune?

What year stang and engine size.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 2014 V6 base model
Old 12-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricketkm View Post
I have a 2014 V6 base model
Lol. What year and engine size was the mustang on the you tube video that got 301 rwhp from the tune and cai. I only ask because there is no way an 11 plus V6 is making 301 rwhp on just a tune and cai. My 91 Steeda tune made 289 rwhp on dyno to my 11 mustang and I have CAI, BBK ceramic long tube headers and off road x pipe. Granted I have an automatic but no way 301 rwhp with just tune and CAI. Lol
Old 12-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

That's what was shown on the dynamic unless he took it from another car .
Old 12-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Not defending him. But different dynos sometimes show different numbers. Climate come into consideration as well.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbullet2012 View Post
Not defending him. But different dynos sometimes show different numbers. Climate come into consideration as well.
Totally agree but no way v6 is gaining 40 rwhp with just tune and cai. If dude head headers and off road pipe, all day long 301 rwhp and some.

I got 297 rwhp with my 91 MPT tune on a 65 degree sunny day. 289 rwhp with my Steeda tune. 294 rwhp with my hybrid tune. All on same day. Lol.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Like the other guy said it depends on the quality of the gas, weather, altitude, tires, gearing, etc. there is a lot that can change your dyno numbers
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan100 View Post
Like the other guy said it depends on the quality of the gas, weather, altitude, tires, gearing, etc. there is a lot that can change your dyno numbers
I totally agree bro but I don't care what tires, weather , altitude, gearing, shoe size, bra size, waist size that v6 ain't making 301 rwhp with just Steeda tune and CAI. I had 93 Octane fuel, 3:73 gears and live near Cecil County racetrack where the altitude is amazing for dyno and track conditions. I have long tube ceramic headers, off road x pipe, Flowmaster exhaust axle backs, tune, CAI, and one piece aluminium driveshaft and made 297 rwhp with MPT tune. 289 rwhp with Steeda tune.

Done on a dynojet too boot.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Tune upgrades

Quote:
We use SCT as we have found them to be a great platform for tuning the Mustang.

We also offer the tunes for life program ... we will upgrade your tune for free regardless of the product you purchase.

Best Regards,

TJ

Does that apply only to upgrades purchased through Steeda. The web site implies this. Also as I am in Canada - if purchased through the Mississauga store will the same apply.
Finally is there any fourm discount.

Thanks................
Deep Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I totally agree bro but I don't care what tires, weather , altitude, gearing, shoe size, bra size, waist size that v6 ain't making 301 rwhp with just Steeda tune and CAI. I had 93 Octane fuel, 3:73 gears and live near Cecil County racetrack where the altitude is amazing for dyno and track conditions. I have long tube ceramic headers, off road x pipe, Flowmaster exhaust axle backs, tune, CAI, and one piece aluminium driveshaft and made 297 rwhp with MPT tune. 289 rwhp with Steeda tune.
Damn you have a lot of work done to your car, I want to be like you when I grow up.

Done on a dynojet too boot.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:26 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Some day you will get there my young padawan. Be patient of the butt hurt youngling! But first, your testicles need to drop and then you will be on your way to growing up like me.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #29
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Lol. What year and engine size was the mustang on the you tube video that got 301 rwhp from the tune and cai. I only ask because there is no way an 11 plus V6 is making 301 rwhp on just a tune and cai. My 91 Steeda tune made 289 rwhp on dyno to my 11 mustang and I have CAI, BBK ceramic long tube headers and off road x pipe. Granted I have an automatic but no way 301 rwhp with just tune and CAI. Lol

I'd like to see a dyno that would provide such numbers with just a CAI and tune. Not going to legitably happen.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

I'd like to see a dyno that would provide such numbers with just a CAI and tune. Not going to legitably happen.
Very true. ^
Old 12-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via Skype™ to Chaseh504
Yeah I have one, I think it is well worth it, makes the car sound even better and it way cool and definitely adds power
Chaseh504 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang