Making decision about gears. 3.55 vs 3.73? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #36
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEvermore View Post
Although I have 3.73s myself, I would suggest 3.55s or 3.31s unless you are wanting to take your car to the track. The track is what I'm getting into, so I'm very happy with my 3.73s. I also love the hybrid tune on 93 octane -- but only during autocross season. On the street, mpg is far inferior to stock 2.73 manual. I was getting up to 32 mpg on the highway with conservative driving, no tune and 2.73s. Driving the same way my best on the highway is 26 mpg. On the interstate at 70-75 mpg I lose 1-2 mpg. I'm okay with this because that's the sacrifice you make for weekend fun. Weather permitting. I also lose 1-2 mpg while on the hybrid tune. My mustang is not my long trip car.

However, if you don't plan on taking your car to the track, I would not suggest 3.73s for you. 3.55s won't make as big a dent in your mpg but will still be quite spirited on the street. 3.31s are close to the same and have the advantage that you will not necessarily have to spring for a tune. And they are still nicely spirited, a good step up from 2.73s. Also Ford can calibrate your car's computer to account for 3.31s, but they do not provide a program for any gears deeper than 3.31s.

As for a one-piece drive shaft, yes I have one. I don't regret it one bit, but of course I expect my car to be on the track come spring again on Driving Experience days sponsored by my Mustang Club as well as autocross. I believe in safety first and since my DS will be rotating much higher with my 3.73s than with the stock 2.73s, it simply made sense to me that I should replace it. HOWEVER, if you aren't going to track it, you don't need the one-piece. Save your money for even more interesting mods if you like. Don't plan to do high speed driving on roads -- I'd like to think you want to keep your license so you can continue to enjoy your mustang.

I suggest all these things above because I want to help a fellow enthusiast enjoy their car. We all drive differently, so please consider your use first. That way hopefully you won't find yourself disappointed later.
On the subject of rear gearing and one piece drive shafts, this post is the best written , un-biased, and great example of leaving the chest beating behind to provide an honest, well explained answer. Hats off to you!
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #37

Region: Florida
I agree. Thank you very much. I have been reading a few other threads about the driveshaft issues that some v6s are having. 135 mph seemed to be a critical speed probably because of the critical rpm of the driveshaft. Does anyone know If the 135 mph incidents happened with 2.73s or 3.31s?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1619705490.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	138568  
smarinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarinak View Post
I agree. Thank you very much. I have been reading a few other threads about the driveshaft issues that some v6s are having. 135 mph seemed to be a critical speed probably because of the critical rpm of the driveshaft. Does anyone know If the 135 mph incidents happened with 2.73s or 3.31s?
I'm gonna say people don't know because in all the years I have been on various mustang forums and talk about the possible driveshaft issue , never was the gear ratio mentioned or talked about. It never was a factor in the discussion on any forum that I read in the past 2 1/2 years until recently here on this thread. The gear ratio may be a good theory as to why the failures occurred from the higher vibration of the taller gears but don't know if there is any validity to that.

Actually, you don't even hear anymore about recent V6 driveshafts exploding and its been over 2 1/2 years since this topic has been going on.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
On the subject of rear gearing and one piece drive shafts, this post is the best written , un-biased, and great example of leaving the chest beating behind to provide an honest, well explained answer. Hats off to you!
Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang