To snow tire or not too - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
To snow tire or not too

Hey guys... First experience today driving with the stock tires (only 3 months old) and my car is somewhat fish tailing when downshifting. Traction control really isn't doing much... Just wondering if a set of snow tires will really do much at all since my tires are brand new now?

Thanks in advance
Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I am assuming you have all-seasons as stock? I have the performance package and it came with summer tires. I bought winters for the snow and the difference was night and day. I would HIGHLY recommend getting snow tires if you have the dough. Here's a link to a video that does a great job of showing the difference the right rubber/tread does vs all seasons. Hope this helps!

Let's Settle The Winter Tires VS. All-Wheel Drive Debate Forever

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

sorry just realized they are comparing summer vs winter tires... but ya
NickAP12589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAP12589 View Post
I am assuming you have all-seasons as stock? I have the performance package and it came with summer tires. I bought winters for the snow and the difference was night and day. I would HIGHLY recommend getting snow tires if you have the dough. Here's a link to a video that does a great job of showing the difference the right rubber/tread does vs all seasons. Hope this helps! Let's Settle The Winter Tires VS. All-Wheel Drive Debate Forever ---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ---------- sorry just realized they are comparing summer vs winter tires... but ya
Interesting find. Thanks for the video. I guess that pretty much sums that up then... Now onto brand and type since I'm rolling on stock 17s...
Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman View Post
Interesting find. Thanks for the video. I guess that pretty much sums that up then... Now onto brand and type since I'm rolling on stock 17s...
When I bought mine, I needed them asap so I bought what they had in Stock. They were cooper tires. Not blizzaks like most would recommend but these where hella cheaper.. Anyway i got a set of cheap 17in rims with them so i have a total of 8 full wheels now. Summers and winters. I don't know if its a good idea to keep removing the tire and replacing it each season so that's why i got rims as well. Anyway im sure the blizzaks are slightly better but i don't know if the price diff justifies it. Ill say that last winter i drove in a snowstorm for 11+ hours from Detroit to CT. They were perfect! Was on fresh unplowed highway like 5-6 inches in rwd sports car passing 4wd suvs... Im actually about to go swap my wheels in a minute haha

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Fyi, mine are cooper weather-master s/t2 225/60R17
NickAP12589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Montana
[QUOTE=Sportsman;1870854]Hey guys... First experience today driving with the stock tires (only 3 months old) and my car is somewhat fish tailing when downshifting......

Be careful with downshifting or you may swap ends. Basically just maintain engine rpm level but do not use engine to slow or stop on snow/ice. Don't ask how I know.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Like the others winter tires allow me to pass everyone going 20 mph in a snow storm. Went with Firestone winterforce 104$ per. Worked great for me. If money were no object I'd get some of top ranked brands.
jomcgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:10 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

When I bought mine, I needed them asap so I bought what they had in Stock. They were cooper tires. Not blizzaks like most would recommend but these where hella cheaper.. Anyway i got a set of cheap 17in rims with them so i have a total of 8 full wheels now. Summers and winters. I don't know if its a good idea to keep removing the tire and replacing it each season so that's why i got rims as well. Anyway im sure the blizzaks are slightly better but i don't know if the price diff justifies it. Ill say that last winter i drove in a snowstorm for 11+ hours from Detroit to CT. They were perfect! Was on fresh unplowed highway like 5-6 inches in rwd sports car passing 4wd suvs... Im actually about to go swap my wheels in a minute haha

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Second that! Mine came with 19' summer tires too and ive downsizes to 17' for winter. Got 4 blizzaks for $115 each. I haven't tested em out in snow yet, been getting rain/dry weather so far.

One thing: they have HORRIBLE WET traction. They will skid if you apply your brakes hard, and will spin if you give your paddle just a little bit of extra gas. Fingers crossed they do good when it snows lol
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Second that! Mine came with 19' summer tires too and ive downsizes to 17' for winter. Got 4 blizzaks for $115 each. I haven't tested em out in snow yet, been getting rain/dry weather so far.

One thing: they have HORRIBLE WET traction. They will skid if you apply your brakes hard, and will spin if you give your paddle just a little bit of extra gas. Fingers crossed they do good when it snows lol
Which Blizzaks did you get? They shouldn't do that.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish View Post

Which Blizzaks did you get? They shouldn't do that.
I got blizzak WS70, size 215-60-17.

Yup theyre horrible on wet roads/on rainy days. At first I thought my ABS is goofing up but that wasn't the case. My front tires skid off when I apply brakes a bit too hard. Never happened with pirelli p zerro summer tires even on wet roads, at 6C temperature.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

it's only going to be worse with snow... Those appear to be the non-performance oriented snowtires since they list them as being a good choice for minivans and SUVs in addition to cars. I wonder if that is related to it.

I've had numerous winter tires on my cars over the years and and have never encountered anything like that but then I always buy the high/ultra high winter tires since the cars I drive are more performance oriented ones.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

This is one of the best winter tires for our cars. I've used the weather master st2 for almost a decade now on my mustangs a few I love it. Blizzacks are overrated.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
This is one of the best winter tires for our cars. I've used the weather master st2 for almost a decade now on my mustangs a few I love it. Blizzacks are overrated.
I've seen a few posts on here about the Blizzaks...they recommended to stay away from the WS models and get the LM 32 or 60.

I personally put the Michelin x-ice x3 on my car and so far no problem in cold or wet weather...no snow until Wednesday, so haven't seen the traction on snowy roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-182474927.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	465.8 KB
ID:	138204  
EastTNMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Where do you live? If you live where you actually get winter, yes you'll want winter tires.

I live in Fairbanks, AK and my mustang is my daily driver, only 4 wheeled vehicle actually, and I drive for work (I'm a salesman). I tried Blizzaks last winter, they were ok. I have General Artic Altimax's with studs this winter and they are MUCH MUCH better for the awful ice and cold we get here in the interior of AK.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Alright- I gotta know !!

What the heck is a """SNOW TIRE"""????? also, What is it used for????? Why don't we have them here in FLORIDA?????

Please clue me in.
Ronnie

PS: I'm sure Bucko don't know what they are or used for either.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I m planning to change my tires too. I was considering the continental DWS. They seems to be pretty good in snow and dry.
FordMustang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #16

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post

Hello bazing-

Where did you get your 17 inch rims from? I'm in the same predicament right now of having the 19 inch summer tires and the cost to buy 19 inch winter/snow tires seems to be not worth it, especially since i wanted to replace the rims for winter anyway. I would appreciate any additional info or tips from anyone whos been in this situation. Thanks guys
Machamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMustang12 View Post
I m planning to change my tires too. I was considering the continental DWS. They seems to be pretty good in snow and dry.
I put those on mine a few weeks ago - haven't had snow yet, but the summer only's were horrible even in rain at 45 degrees. It's been pretty close to freezing and raining since mounting the DWS tires were put on and it did great. I also used those for my winter tires on my Focus ST last year and we had at least one pretty bad snow storm and they were awesome.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang