Serious dilemma - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Serious dilemma

So the time is just about here where I trade in my 2010 v6 for a 14 5.0 I'm looking at 2 roush stage 1s and think that's what I'm probably going to get. The question is, is white or black harder to keep clean. I live in Virginia but go to college in Florida so It will mainly be in Florida for the majority of the year. Which do you all think would be easier to maintain and look the best. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1674416379.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	468.9 KB
ID:	138324   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-672729789.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	440.1 KB
ID:	138325  

Bighebs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
white is less likely to show dirt over black IMO but how do you afford a roush while your in college and what's the price of those cars? I'm jus curious...and quite jealous.
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Sad Panda
Staff

Not sure about maintaining but I'm voting for black
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverskoundrel View Post
Not sure about maintaining but I'm voting for black
+1
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
white is less likely to show dirt over black IMO but how do you afford a roush while your in college and what's the price of those cars? I'm jus curious...and quite jealous.
I'm doing ROTC which is paying for school
Old 11-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #6

Region: North Carolina
I had a black 07 gt vert and loved it. Very hard to keep clean. but looked good when it was. I would go with the white>
cmonro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighebs10 View Post
Which do you all think would be easier to maintain and look the best.
Maintain and look best are almost polar opposites in this situation. Black is definitely going to look better (IMO) and white is definitely going to be easier to maintain (you could go for weeks without washing).

Stop being a baby (no offense) and take the whole 'maintaining' thing out of the equation. All of us with shiny new or new-ish paint jobs (that want them to stay that way) have to put in at least 2-3 hours every 1-2 weeks to keep them shining. It's just part of owning a nice vehicle.

If you need tips on products and how to make maintaining most efficient, then I have lots.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Maintain and look best are almost polar opposites in this situation. Black is definitely going to look better (IMO) and white is definitely going to be easier to maintain (you could go for weeks without washing). Stop being a baby (no offense) and take the whole 'maintaining' thing out of the equation. All of us with shiny new or new-ish paint jobs (that want them to stay that way) have to put in at least 2-3 hours every 1-2 weeks to keep them shining. It's just part of owning a nice vehicle. If you need tips on products and how to make maintaining most efficient, then I have lots.
I mean I would wash it at least once a week no matter what.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Black. That maintenance is the bummer though.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The other concerns with the black is the infamous swirls that seem to be on almost all black cars. So frustrating
Old 11-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I have a black 14 v6.
I would go with the white one. I wash my car weekly and each time I wash it or seems like there's a few new minute scratches. I hate seeing those scratches. If I could have a do over I would go white. I've seen a white gt/cs with a few cosmetic upgrades and it is the best looking mustang I've ever seen, so white can definitely be good looking.
Also someone mentioned the swirl marks. Mine has them and its never been through an automatic car wash.
Either one will look great though and I am very jealous!
TheBlackStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Any car will get swirls, just black will show them better. You have to use the right products and methods when washing a vehicle.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I was shopping for a white one too.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #14

Region: Tennessee
The white cars I've had have been easy to keep looking clean, I think the white shows the body lines better to, the black just kind of runs everything together. Personally I don't see the Roush thing though, I'd take the difference between the RS1 and a nice GT to personalize the GT. Have you looked at the new vettes?
trustyrusty436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
White! So much easier to clean and stay clean. Black is a pain in the *** to wash, sucks on a hot day, Plus black you can see all the swirls in the paint.
Dill_picklezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:02 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
So the time is just about here where I trade in my 2010 v6 for a 14 5.0 I'm looking at 2 roush stage 1s and think that's what I'm probably going to get. The question is, is white or black harder to keep clean. I live in Virginia but go to college in Florida so It will mainly be in Florida for the majority of the year. Which do you all think would be easier to maintain and look the best. Thanks
Mines Black. I wash it once a week and it's dirty 2 hours later.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #17
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Any car will get swirls, just black will show them better. You have to use the right products and methods when washing a vehicle.
This is the problem with black vehicles. You will need more time with them to keep them gleaming. Black is certainly a pristeen color, right after the wash and shine, and parked in the garage. As soon as it's backed out for the drive, it looses that luster much faster than other colors.

Be honest with yourself. Is the black car going to get the attention it needs with frequent washings at the college dorm or apartment you'll be at? If not, then consider another color that will require less exterior maintenance.

After college, you can then always step to the black color.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Get the white one

Then add blue stripes and you will have a great looking Mustang that everybody will notice. It is way easier to keep clean and the Florida sun won't fade it as fast as a black one if you don't keep it in a garage.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/blue-1...ipes-0512.html

Ain't much better then A White Mustang with the two blue stripes going ove it.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
In all honesty both are equally terrible to maintain.
Whitelightning was blessed with both colors...
I will say that black looks better when it's clean.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I guess I'm just very meticulous when it comes to washing my vehicles. I use the two bucket method and only let microfiber towels touch my paint. I just had a permanent coating that enhances gloss and depth along with 3x more scratch resistance applied on my GT and it stays clean and is much easier to clean as well.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

In Florida, I would go with white, get a good solar tint on the windows, you need all the help keep the interior cool you can get.

but then I just came from a Sapphire Black Metallic BMW 3 series to my 14 GT and would take anything over black after maintaining that color for the last 3 years. Ok well not "gotta have it green" (no offense to the people that love it, it just isn't myfor me.
Karlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Having been an owner of a black car and now a white mustang I can tell you that white is much less bothersome if it's going to be your daily driver. Also, you're in Florida so a white car with a nice tint will look sick.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #23
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Such a serious dilemma this is....a black or white Roush stage 1 Mustang to buy....

If they all could be such a serious dilemma.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
I guess I'm just very meticulous when it comes to washing my vehicles. I use the two bucket method and only let microfiber towels touch my paint. I just had a permanent coating that enhances gloss and depth along with 3x more scratch resistance applied on my GT and it stays clean and is much easier to clean as well.
That is what I do as well, but my grabber blue has swirls you can see "if you look at it just right". Not anywhere near as bad as black however. But I have had the TST teflon coating treatment on all my cars and trucks and when I take it back to them to detail, they remove the the swirles. Only higher cost micro fiber towels see my paint and if they ever hit the ground, they are given to the neighbors dog to play with or used as oil rags. The ones I find best feel soft to the touch, some cheap microfiber cloths will take the loose skin off your fingers and stick to your skin.

Between dual bucket washes, I use the spray detailer wipe off products, been using Turtle wax detailer left paint looking better than some of the other ones. But the swirls do come back with time. So what spray on wipe off detailer do you use? I might want to try it.

I vote White with grabber blue stripes for your choice
Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I vote white.
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
White. I hated detailing black cars when I worked at a dealership.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
That is what I do as well, but my grabber blue has swirls you can see "if you look at it just right". Not anywhere near as bad as black however. But I have had the TST teflon coating treatment on all my cars and trucks and when I take it back to them to detail, they remove the the swirles. Only higher cost micro fiber towels see my paint and if they ever hit the ground, they are given to the neighbors dog to play with or used as oil rags. The ones I find best feel soft to the touch, some cheap microfiber cloths will take the loose skin off your fingers and stick to your skin.

Between dual bucket washes, I use the spray detailer wipe off products, been using Turtle wax detailer left paint looking better than some of the other ones. But the swirls do come back with time. So what spray on wipe off detailer do you use? I might want to try it.

Art
I think I know what you're talking about. Very, very light circular swirl marks that you can only see at 4:37 PM on a perfectly sunny day (by that I mean very hard to see)? I'm not quite sure.

As regards to maintenance washing and marring, with the products I use, I haven't seen any marring I've done to the paint myself. Just to confirm, these are the products I use:

Two 5gal buckets with Grit Guards
Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss
Microfiber Zero Cuff Chenille Wash Mitt
Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick Detailer
Microfiber All Purpose Towels

I've read that 'quick detailing' can be the culprit of fine swirls and marring, so I only use my quick detailer directly after a wash or when I absolutely need to. I don't need to apply or remove wax or sealants, so that may be where your swirls are coming from.

The coating that I had applied to my car is a CCC (ceramic clear coating). It's called OptiCoat 2.0 and from my what my detailer told me, it's the best on the market at the moment (and relatively new as well).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang