Advice on my first Mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Advice on my first Mustang

Hey All,

I posted this same question on the 2010 - 2014 GT forum by accident, but given the question I felt it would be okay to pose it here as well...I apologize if this is considered spamming, not my intent!

Here's the situation, I'm due for a "new" car, so I've decided to take the plunge and buy myself a Mustang. However since I drive around 130 miles round trip daily for work, fuel mileage is important to me. But given that I spend at least 2 hours a day in the car, I want to enjoy it. So I guess what I'm asking is for a little advice on what Year to go with, as well as any performance or gas mileage modifications I can make to fit the situation.

I'm certain that as much as I want the V8, for the mileage alone I'm going to have to go with the V6 model for whichever year I choose. I'm leaning toward a 2011 V6 or V6 Premium. And from what I've read, adding a Cold Air Intake would both be a performance and MPG boost, so I probably will add one of those to it.

Thoughts?
lesterd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The 5.0 is fun and isn't really bad on gas. But sixxer would make more sense for your needs.
Id just get the base model. Unless you really feel all the fancy do dads will make a difference for you in how much you like it.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
2011+ v6 is the most fuel efficient mustang ever made. But that 130 mile round trip sounds insane to me. You would be filling up like twice a week if you count weekends and that's If you got perfect 31 mpg highway everywhere
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
2011+ v6 is the most fuel efficient mustang ever made. But that 130 mile round trip sounds insane to me. You would be filling up like twice a week if you count weekends and that's If you got perfect 31 mpg highway everywhere
Get the Focus ST
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #5

Region: New Jersey
Advice on my first Mustang

If you have never driven a Mustang, my advice to you is to start slow.
Get used to the horse power and torque. If you do not respect horse power, you can get in a lot of trouble. On the other hand if you are familiar with Mustangs, I'll go for a GT. The reason being sooner or later you'll regret not having the extra hummmph.
Gas mileage: Don't worry too much about that. Go out and have fun.
FunkMasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post

Get the Focus ST
On a serious note... I traded my V6 in on a GT I drive 25 mile one way to work. 8 miles highway, 3 miles city and the rest back roads. There are about a total of 23 signal light on my travel to work. In my V6 I was spending about $45 a week in gas. My GT is about $8 more a week plus my insurance went up $200 a year and my payment went up $75 a month. So it cost me about an extra $25 a week to own a GT.

This is my cost. someone else will be more or less depending on that person's age. Insurance has a lot to do with cost and if you don't have money down or get much for trade in could effect the cost a lot.

Call your insurance agent get a quote. Go on line and do the payment calculator and see how much payments will be and you can be sure the gas cost between the V6 and GT will not be to dramatic. Doing this will get you a close figure for the additional cost to own a GT.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Just get a 2011+ v6 with witch ever features you like. The CAI by itself won't do much of anything
Old 11-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
With a cold air intake and a good tune, you can get pretty good mpg's in a V6 Mustang. Check this guy out, he's got the old 4.0 V6 (05-09) and with a custom tune and dual exhaust and he's getting 29.5 mpg, 50% of that being city driving and the other 50% highway.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/mustangdave/mustang
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
With my job, I pretty much live in my car. I'm a liquor salesman, so my route is about 50+ miles a day in town, and every two weeks I have a 150 mile round trip out of town to visit 4 accounts. I find my car to be extremely comfortable and that's a big reason why I bought it. I'd get a 2013+ for the HID headlights, LED taillights, and the sync option for the base stereo (I hate touch screens). It's also the most performance you can buy for $20k. If I had another $10k to spend, the GT would have become more of an option, but I didn't and I'm quite happy with my $20k 300hp, 6spd manual, rwd w/ lsd coupe over yet another econobox.

In summer, I average 22mpg in town and ~30mpg on the out of town loop (it's not exactly a highway since its a two lane road that dead ends at a Hot Springs, but there are no lights and no traffic). In winter I lose 2-3 mpg off those figures, but most of that is from having to warm the car up in the morning when its -10 or colder.

Keep your revs under 2000rpm, skip gears, cruise in 6th gear at anything above 40mph and keeping your speeds under 60-65mph, and treating the throttle like there's an egg under it are all going to save you on gas. I found a mpg bump of 1-2 mpg when I started using premium gas (which is only 90oct up here). It sounds like a programmer can help too, but I don't have one yet so I can't comment.

When the stock tires wear out, replace them with a low rolling resistance type tire. Should be good for a 5-10% improvement from the tests I've read.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
With my job, I pretty much live in my car. I'm a liquor salesman, so my route is about 50+ miles a day in town, and every two weeks I have a 150 mile round trip out of town to visit 4 accounts. I find my car to be extremely comfortable and that's a big reason why I bought it. I'd get a 2013+ for the HID headlights, LED taillights, and the sync option for the base stereo (I hate touch screens). It's also the most performance you can buy for $20k. If I had another $10k to spend, the GT would have become more of an option, but I didn't and I'm quite happy with my $20k 300hp, 6spd manual, rwd w/ lsd coupe over yet another econobox. In summer, I average 22mpg in town and ~30mpg on the out of town loop (it's not exactly a highway since its a two lane road that dead ends at a Hot Springs, but there are no lights and no traffic). In winter I lose 2-3 mpg off those figures, but most of that is from having to warm the car up in the morning when its -10 or colder. Keep your revs under 2000rpm, skip gears, cruise in 6th gear at anything above 40mph and keeping your speeds under 60-65mph, and treating the throttle like there's an egg under it are all going to save you on gas. I found a mpg bump of 1-2 mpg when I started using premium gas (which is only 90oct up here). It sounds like a programmer can help too, but I don't have one yet so I can't comment. When the stock tires wear out, replace them with a low rolling resistance type tire. Should be good for a 5-10% improvement from the tests I've read.
You don't have to get a touch screen with the sync for 2011.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Honestly, if you have the extra money..get the GT. Although i love my v6 I wish I would hae dropped another 6 or 7 grand on a 5.0. Nothing compares to the sound of it..the torque and horsepower is better. I almost never get better than 18 or 19 mpg with my v6 in the city anyways, however on the highway it gets about 28 mpg..but the sound of a 5.0 will always leave me jealous lol.
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #12

Region: New Jersey
@Deep_Impact
What you say is true. However a guy with a GT will also say that he was too cheap not to get a Shelby...I actually read somewhere about this poor fellow gripping about his GT.
Be happy with what you got... I know it's tough what you are saying. I also have a V6 and I wish I had a GT. The guy with a GT wished he had a Shelby. The guy with a Shelby wished he had a what?
What I am planning to do with mine is to build a sleeper that will blow the doors off a mere Shelby. So there.
FunkMasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterD View Post
@Deep_Impact
...The guy with a Shelby wished he had a what.
And so it goes: GT500 owner wants a Super Snake, Super Snake owner wants a 1200hp GT1000, and GT1000 owner wishes he didn't drop $200,000 on his car and now has to LIVE in said car.
CandyRed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
@Deep_Impact
What you say is true. However a guy with a GT will also say that he was too cheap not to get a Shelby...I actually read somewhere about this poor fellow gripping about his GT.
Be happy with what you got... I know it's tough what you are saying. I also have a V6 and I wish I had a GT. The guy with a GT wished he had a Shelby. The guy with a Shelby wished he had a what?
What I am planning to do with mine is to build a sleeper that will blow the doors off a mere Shelby. So there.

I AM IN SAME FREAKIN BOAT! Lol I got my 14 v6 in may and im already itching to get a 5.0 by next summer. And im pretty sure after driving it about an year, I would get the itch to either supercharge it or get a corvette/gt500..fml
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
3.7 V6 Mustangs are great

If your not into racing, And just want a fun reliable Mustang you can't beat the V6 2011 up Mustang. They look great, drive great, have enough power for street driving and get excellent MPG. The insurance is lower and a whole lot of just plain fun to own.
I would suggest trying to get one with the premium package and Sirius radio because they just look much nicer inside of the car where you are when you drive it. I love the voice activated hands free phone and My Ford SYNC even though I do not have the navigation screen. I just plug in my Garmin when needed.
The base is probably OK for some but I would think about 99% of Mustang buyers would be more satisfied with the premium.
I see many,many posts on this and other Mustang Forums how owners with base Mustangs would like to add Premium items but can't due to cost if possible and most items are not possible to install at all on a base.
I have the MCA edition and love everything about it. I added a few choice items and drive pretty aggressive and still get 24/25 MPG around town.
Good luck on finding one you can fall in love with.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterd88 View Post
Hey All,

I posted this same question on the 2010 - 2014 GT forum by accident, but given the question I felt it would be okay to pose it here as well...I apologize if this is considered spamming, not my intent!

Here's the situation, I'm due for a "new" car, so I've decided to take the plunge and buy myself a Mustang. However since I drive around 130 miles round trip daily for work, fuel mileage is important to me. But given that I spend at least 2 hours a day in the car, I want to enjoy it. So I guess what I'm asking is for a little advice on what Year to go with, as well as any performance or gas mileage modifications I can make to fit the situation.

I'm certain that as much as I want the V8, for the mileage alone I'm going to have to go with the V6 model for whichever year I choose. I'm leaning toward a 2011 V6 or V6 Premium. And from what I've read, adding a Cold Air Intake would both be a performance and MPG boost, so I probably will add one of those to it.

Thoughts?
Go with the V6. On the average of 130 X 5 = 650 miles per week X 50 = 32,500 miles per year for work only. Left out two weeks for vacation.

You'll be looking at close to 100,00 miles in 3 years. SO why pay the extra 5,000 or more for the GT?

Now if this wasn't going to be a DD, then get the V8. No need to spend the extra money modding it, as you won't be able to recoup that money when you sell it, trade it or it falls apart.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Again, it really should come down to how much money you have to spend.

If you want a $20-25k car, do what you can to forget that the GT exists and get the V6. What is wrong with a 300hp, 6spd manual sports car? Nothing. And nothing that can't be fixed in the aftermarket if you get a base model like I did.

If you've got another $10k+ to spend, of course get the GT. Make mine a base model with the tech package, recaro's, and track pack. Talk about a true forever car... one I'd be glad to order and keep forever.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Again, it really should come down to how much money you have to spend.

If you want a $20-25k car, do what you can to forget that the GT exists and get the V6. What is wrong with a 300hp, 6spd manual sports car? Nothing. And nothing that can't be fixed in the aftermarket if you get a base model like I did.

If you've got another $10k+ to spend, of course get the GT. Make mine a base model with the tech package, recaro's, and track pack. Talk about a true forever car... one I'd be glad to order and keep forever.
Nothing wrong with 300hp but 400hp is better with 21,000 miles and already has mods and custom look. Check this 5.0 out. There are many buy it now on ebay for 2011 5.0 ranging from $20K to $25K...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261341111973?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

All you need to do is search and there are good deals on 5.0's
Old 12-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:

Nothing wrong with 300hp but 400hp is better with 21,000 miles and already has mods and custom look. Check this 5.0 out. There are many buy it now on ebay for 2011 5.0 ranging from $20K to $25K... Granted it was in a fender bender, but it does have a clean title and the mods it has makes this car a steal.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

Nothing wrong with 300hp but 400hp is better with 21,000 miles and already has mods and custom look. Check this 5.0 out. There are many buy it now on ebay for 2011 5.0 ranging from $20K to $25K...

Nothing wrong with 400 HP but 550 HP is better. Look for a low milage Gt500.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #21
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Or a Boss 302

And the "circle of Mustang" begins again!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Or a Boss 302

And the "circle of Mustang" begins again!
Lmao. Yep, so true. I would of said 550 HP is nice but 662 HP is better. Lol
Old 12-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Save the money and mod the 5.0 past the 550hp. Used 5.0 and mods still cheaper than the GT500. There are some nice 2011 out there for $20,000-$25,000 with around 20,000 miles. I know a guy who bought a 2010 GT500 for $34,000 with 26,000 miles. Imagine what you can do to the GT with an extra $10,000-$15,000. You can plant 550hp to the tires and still have $5000 left over for more modding. GT is the best bank for the buck by far.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
130 miles*5 days= 650 miles per week.
650 M/w*52= 33,800 miles

V6 @ 31 mpg = 1, 091 gallons (decimal rounded up)
V8 @ 26 mph = 1, 300 gallons

Fuel @ 3.25

1,091*3.25= $3545.75
1,300*3.25= $4225

So fuel cost is short of $700 per year more with the v8, then add in insurance, and actual cost. I pay about $80 per month for insurance, so say it's $100 per month for the v8. Say $240 more per year.

So estimate $940 more per year. If you plan six years, that's $5,640 more for the v8 under ideal circumstances. For just a commuter, is that really worth it?

And don't get an ST, the 1 mpg difference is not worth losing rear wheel drive and ~50 HP.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Save the money and mod the 5.0 past the 550hp. Used 5.0 and mods still cheaper than the GT500. There are some nice 2011 out there for $20,000-$25,000 with around 20,000 miles. I know a guy who bought a 2010 GT500 for $34,000 with 26,000 miles. Imagine what you can do to the GT with an extra $10,000-$15,000. You can plant 550hp to the tires and still have $5000 left over for more modding. GT is the best bank for the buck by far.
Well, I will totally agree with you on the 5.0 definitely being the best bang for buck. One can easily make 550 HP out of a 5.0 and that's with just bolt on mods.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ford Mustang GT Coupe 2 Door | eBay

New vs used, not everyone is comfortable buying used car or want used car. And I for one will never buy someone else's former project car again.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
@Deep_Impact
Lol i completely disagree. MOST average people do not have the money to drop $45-50k on a Boss much less $60-75k on a Shelby. but most people do have $25-30k on a GT, plus when you mod it it can have 500+hp easy. I am happy with my 3.7, it's a great car. However if i could do it over or trade it in for a good deal on a GT i wouldn't hesitate. Why? That sexy sound of a 5.0 i would get to listen to everyday
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Impact View Post
Lol i completely disagree. MOST average people do not have the money to drop $45-50k on a Boss much less $60-75k on a Shelby. but most people do have $25-30k on a GT, plus when you mod it it can have 500+hp easy. I am happy with my 3.7, it's a great car. However if i could do it over or trade it in for a good deal on a GT i wouldn't hesitate. Why? That sexy sound of a 5.0 i would get to listen to everyday
Very true and I get to listen to that sexy sound of my 3.7 with full exhaust system and its sex on the ears.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterd88 View Post
Hey All,

Thoughts?
I suggest a 2011+ V6. I purchased a 2012 V6 Premium a few months ago and LOVE it. I struggled because it was going to be my daily driver (60+ miles round trip daily) and didn't want to deal with poor gas mileage and wear and tear on my "new" car. I stayed with the V6 for lower insurance and better gas mileage.

I'm averaging around 25 miles per gallon, maybe a little less, but that's because I enjoy some spirited driving that I can do with these new V6s. It's a good balance between MPG and fun. I got a standard shift and really enjoy it. I also went with the Premium because I wanted leather seats.

Mine was a certified Ford pre-owned (only had 8,400 miles on it) so I felt confident buying a used vehicle. With my trade-in of a 2007 Honda Civic, I got a great deal, and a huge step up in performance, fun, attitude, comfort and coolness. Now I spend my spare time researching mods and other fun things I plan to do over time.

This is my first Mustang, and I did a lot of research before pulling the trigger. After buying it I realized I still could have done even more research. I didn't know things like the performance package and the pony package (which I was happy to learn a few weeks after purchase that mine did have the pony package). I wish I had the performance package now since I think I would like the better gear ratio that comes with it over my 2:73.

I put an Airaid CAI in mine within a few weeks of buying the car. I like the looks and the sound of it. It "seems" to have given me a little more boost when I kick into it, but that could just be my imagination. At the very least, I felt like I was making the car "mine" by doing a relatively easy and cool mod.

Bottom line though is that these new V6s are great cars. You can keep it stock and be proud to own it and stay economical, or you can go as far as you want with modding it as your time, confidence and budget allows. Do I wish I had a V8? Yes. But do I regret getting my V6? No. LOL.

Good luck!
jwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang