Performance upgrades ?'s - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Performance upgrades ?'s

I have. 2010 v6 auto. Originally bought it as a daily and to save alot of money driving over driving my 4wd dodge... Now i got the itch too customize it as everything else. I know search could help with some of these questions as im on several forums just hoping you guys could quickly help me ad deliver these answers,points and opinions. Thanks

Is the bbk 70mm throttle body worth 300 or should i just stick with the the throttle body spacer? For a1/4 of the money or should i do either

Also which tuner and cai is the best option
Bbk and bama tuner or
Jlt and sf3...

Ill be ordering the pypes mid exhaust dual exhaust conversion with x pipe. From why ive seen i like it. And will be running 18x9s with 255/40s if that matters
Rollins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
With the 2010 you have the 4.0 engine. The BBK throttle body has been more trouble than any performance enhancement on that engine; few people can get it to run properly and those that do spent a lot of money for very little improvement. A better option is to look on ebay for one of the Jerry Stranigan ported and polished throttle bodies. He takes the stock one and ports and polishes that so you don't run into any of the electronics issues.

A spacer is simply a very expensive paper weight. All it does is lighten your wallet.

CAI's are all pretty similar, the main difference is in the tune.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollins7 View Post
I have. 2010 v6 auto. Originally bought it as a daily and to save alot of money driving over driving my 4wd dodge... Now i got the itch too customize it as everything else. I know search could help with some of these questions as im on several forums just hoping you guys could quickly help me ad deliver these answers,points and opinions. Thanks

Is the bbk 70mm throttle body worth 300 or should i just stick with the the throttle body spacer? For a1/4 of the money or should i do either

Also which tuner and cai is the best option
Bbk and bama tuner or
Jlt and sf3...

Ill be ordering the pypes mid exhaust dual exhaust conversion with x pipe. From why ive seen i like it. And will be running 18x9s with 255/40s if that matters
Save yourself from beating a dead horse and trash that 4.0 V6 and upgrade to a 3.7. Those 4.0's are unfortunately a joke. Things can be done to make them fast, but you're talking thousands of dollars and you'd be better off buying an 2011+ at that point financially. I'd hate to be anyone who bought the V6 or V8 in 2010, cause '11 was such a leap forward!
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2013, 01:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post

Save yourself from beating a dead horse and trash that 4.0 V6 and upgrade to a 3.7. Those 4.0's are unfortunately a joke. Things can be done to make them fast, but you're talking thousands of dollars and you'd be better off buying an 2011+ at that point financially. I'd hate to be anyone who bought the V6 or V8 in 2010, cause '11 was such a leap forward!
If he does stick with the 4.0...
Look at AMs 2005 v6 build with nitrous
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Im going to stick with the 4.0 i know its far behind the 3.7 and well not even comparable to v8 but te 2010 has the look still yet and thats something i like. I got the car on a hell of a deal and like i mentioned as a gas saver. Im going to be bagging it ive already got my airlift components and accuair elevel in the shop. And ordering wheels and couple other appearance things friday. I was just looking to "pep" it up some.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:31 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: California
Honestly I say you spray the **** out of it dude
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:18 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolPwny View Post
Honestly I say you spray the **** out of it dude
^yes. get a good nitrous set up.
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #8

Region: Tennessee
There are supercharger kits for the 4.0 and that should get it up around 300hp, which isn't bad at all. I think they are about half what the ones for the 3.7s are, their not any cheaper to build, but as the cars gets older things get cheaper.
trustyrusty436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

So will this zex nitrous kit from am and the purge kit be all i need to get it hooked up and working properly on these 4.0s im not looking to run this continuously like a moron just from time to time. I t just seems alot cheaper that what my dad used when hooking all his up last summer but his was a 250 shot also.... Also will these safely take a 100 shot or should i shoot it at the lower end of the specs

http://www.americanmuscle.com/zex-nitrous-2005-v6.html
Old 11-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollins7 View Post
So will this zex nitrous kit from am and the purge kit be all i need to get it hooked up and working properly on these 4.0s im not looking to run this continuously like a moron just from time to time. I t just seems alot cheaper that what my dad used when hooking all his up last summer but his was a 250 shot also.... Also will these safely take a 100 shot or should i shoot it at the lower end of the specs

ZEX Zex Wet Injected Nitrous System ZEX-82307 (05-10 V6) - Free Shipping ZEX-82307
You will want a window switch, heater, bottle pressure gauge, and a purge is a good idea as well. Don't rely upon the Zex nitrous management unit (NMU) to keep you safe. It will read wide open throttle really early. I had it on my 2006 and was staging the car - prestaged, purged, then brought the rpm up to 1800 to stage. The NMU read that as WOT throttle and fired off.

You don't want to spray before 2400 rpm. When you start spraying lower is when you run into issues.

For cool evenings, and early and late racing season you will need the heater to keep the bottle pressure up.

A 75 shot is safe, and many people running a 100 shot even. Any higher and it is riskier. And nitrous is really a track only power adder. You can't run around on the street with it turned on all the time because it will wear down the solenoids, and the nitrous tune is a compromise for daily driving; you can drive on it but performance will be off without the nitrous. Plus even with a 75 shot I could only get about 10 passes on the bottle before pressure was a problem. At $4-5 a pound for a refill it isn't something you want to be running around armed and ready all the time.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah it would only be something i played around with occasionally at the track, i would want it more than anything for show or a talk piece. Heres a rendering i have of the car btw except i changed my mind on wheels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1334952807.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	138950
Old 12-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post
I'd hate to be anyone who bought the V6 or V8 in 2010, cause '11 was such a leap forward!
I used to say that before I owned my 2010 GT. Although the Coyote is an amazing engine and can blow away almost all competition even at larger displacements, I've still grown to love my 4.6 liter.

Now I don't think I would ever own a 2010 V6. I've owned a '06 V6, and it wasn't the fastest and I had quite a few problems with it. The real bummer is that once you spend ~$1,000 on a quality dual exhaust conversion and good sound, you could buy a 2011 V6 with a better engine and dual exhaust already installed.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang