What Should I pay? 2014 V6 Premium w/ - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
What Should I pay? 2014 V6 Premium w/

Planning to butly this car in March (after the 2015 has been unveiled) as soon as the snow melts.. But I'm wondering what I should pay/what I could get it for. I want a steal deal! Paying with cash..

A used (17,000 miles) Grabber blue 2014, V6 Premium, manual transmission, Performance Package, Recaro Seats, Security package, and Glass Roof option.

Like I said, I want a steal deal. How should I bargin with the dealer? And what should I get it for? Or do my absolute best to get it for? It's about a 1000miles away from me, so ill have to get it shipped. Help and opinions appreciated!
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
How can you be sure the car will even still be at a dealer 1000 miles away 4 months from now?

I usually use this to price my trade-ins, but they don't have a 2014 option yet.
Appraise a Used Car at Edmunds.com
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Good luck. That is a sweet car, and the smart money buys in the winter. Dealers have a much harder time selling a sports car with powder on the ground.

Honestly, this seems like a lot of very poor decisions.

1. Cash talks. Going in person and dropping 18k on a table is much mor effective than a phone call or e mail.

2. People don't often use sports cars in winter. Which is why they don't sell. Which is why one gets better pricing.

3. First of the year, they have to pay taxes on owning that car. You will get a better price later in the year, than at the beginning of the year.

4. Other people will be in the market. More likely it will sell, less likely they will give you a deal. No reason to sell for cheap.

5. I would advise one of the countless and simple to use searches out there. Compare auto trader, eBay, NADA, and KBB with the data.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Good luck. That is a sweet car, and the smart money buys in the winter. Dealers have a much harder time selling a sports car with powder on the ground.

Honestly, this seems like a lot of very poor decisions.

1. Cash talks. Going in person and dropping 18k on a table is much mor effective than a phone call or e mail.

2. People don't often use sports cars in winter. Which is why they don't sell. Which is why one gets better pricing.

3. First of the year, they have to pay taxes on owning that car. You will get a better price later in the year, than at the beginning of the year.

4. Other people will be in the market. More likely it will sell, less likely they will give you a deal. No reason to sell for cheap.

5. I would advise one of the countless and simple to use searches out there. Compare auto trader, eBay, NADA, and KBB with the data.
This is awesome advice! Appreciate it! I'd love more input from people.

1. Do you think 18k just might win that car? Cash is how I'll be paying. Like I said, I want a steal deal! So I want to do everything possible to help myself out here.

2. The reason I was waiting for winter to be over is because it's sat on the lot that much longer and I live in Wisconsin (tons of snow!) and I have a unique situation where I can drive a truck though this one last winter season. Plus I'm driving it cost free. So I was preferably wanting to do that. Any advice?

3. What would be the taxes paid on a car like this? KBB gave a dealer retail of $24,000.

4. Refer to answer 2.

5. It's roughly coming up as $24000 Dealer sale and $22,000ish private party.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post

1. Do you think 18k just might win that car? Cash is how I'll be paying. Like I said, I want a steal deal! So I want to do everything possible to help myself out here.

2. The reason I was waiting for winter to be over is because it's sat on the lot that much longer and I live in Wisconsin (tons of snow!) and I have a unique situation where I can drive a truck though this one last winter season. Plus I'm driving it cost free. So I was preferably wanting to do that. Any advice?

3. What would be the taxes paid on a car like this? KBB gave a dealer retail of $24,000.

4. Refer to answer 2.

If you walk in with 20k and drop it on the table right now, or hand them the keys to that truck and 18k, you have at least 90% chance of being done. Tax depends on the state you live in. If they won't do it, walk away.

Three huge things going for you.

Cash. No loan worries, or anything. They don't have to worry about you getting approved, or any issues. You're ready to go.

They don't have to pay for taxes come January one.

Who tf buys a Mustang in winter? No one. It is going to sit and depreciate on their lot.

Cash talks big, and you are set up for a good score.

They didn't give more than 17 for the car. Look at the trade in value if you traded it in. Be armed with knowledge, the new models coming out, the redesign, other prices. Guy on here was trying to buy a Shelby, dealer was giving him a hard time on price, so he just went and bought it on eBay. Be prepared to walk away, if they let you get to the doors, they will run to you in the parking lot. I haven't researched prices, 20k might be a more fair value. Research price range for it in more places, don't just go off one value. Take 10-20% off anything you find on auto trader.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 11-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you walk in with 20k and drop it on the table right now, or hand them the keys to that truck and 18k, you have at least 90% chance of being done. Tax depends on the state you live in. If they won't do it, walk away.

Three huge things going for you.

Cash. No loan worries, or anything. They don't have to worry about you getting approved, or any issues. You're ready to go.

They don't have to pay for taxes come January one.

Who tf buys a Mustang in winter? No one. It is going to sit and depreciate on their lot.

Cash talks big, and you are set up for a good score.
I would really like to shoot for 18-20k for the car (after taxes, titles, and fees). The truck however is worth 30k, so I don't want to hand them that plus another 18k What would they pay on taxes? State of Maine?

PLUS! The 2015 Mustang debuts December 5th and that will make the current models go down cause everyone now is looking for something "newer" and "better". What's your .02 on that?
Old 11-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I think $20k would be a steal on that car! That's a $30k+ car new
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
The vulnerable American consumer. Keep in mind that this car, like most others will depreciate into a worthless pile of scrap. Make an offer, then walk. The repo business will be picking up shortly from all the NINJA loans they have been writing. There will be lots to pick from. Be patient.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
This is awesome advice! Appreciate it! I'd love more input from people. 1. Do you think 18k just might win that car? Cash is how I'll be paying. Like I said, I want a steal deal! So I want to do everything possible to help myself out here. 2. The reason I was waiting for winter to be over is because it's sat on the lot that much longer and I live in Wisconsin (tons of snow!) and I have a unique situation where I can drive a truck though this one last winter season. Plus I'm driving it cost free. So I was preferably wanting to do that. Any advice? 3. What would be the taxes paid on a car like this? KBB gave a dealer retail of $24,000. 4. Refer to answer 2. 5. It's roughly coming up as $24000 Dealer sale and $22,000ish private party.
You won't get it for 18k. Kbb is an estimate not an actual price and using that as a negotiating strategy will not work. I was a car salesman, you're best bet is to find one w/ similar features for less and get them competing for the sale. Be willing to walk away from the car and watch the numbers when it gets down to finance time. Most dealers will put the discount amount on the backside of the sale.
lllTRADEMARKlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:46 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllTRADEMARKlll View Post
You won't get it for 18k. Kbb is an estimate not an actual price and using that as a negotiating strategy will not work. I was a car salesman, you're best bet is to find one w/ similar features for less and get them competing for the sale. Be willing to walk away from the car and watch the numbers when it gets down to finance time. Most dealers will put the discount amount on the backside of the sale.
Excellent point. Which is why it is important to know as much as you can, not just one source. NADA, auto trader listings, eBay, so on.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Excellent point. Which is why it is important to know as much as you can, not just one source. NADA, auto trader listings, eBay, so on.
Truth is, a good deal is subjective. What is it worth to you? All dealerships will have their cars just about price matched with the other dealers in the area. Private party is always the cheapest. It is also the place where you will have more bargaining power. My advice, figure out what the car is worth to you and be willing to pay that. I paid $17,500 for my 2012 v6 premium, that had 30k, in June of this year. I did not shop, I knew what I wanted and what I would be willing to pay for it, walked into a dealership and bought it.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

4. Refer to answer 2.

First don't carry that much cash around.

Second, Don't tell them you are paying cash. Your losing some of your negotiating power. Find out what it would cost you to finance it. If you get a low enough rate, it might be better to put down $10,000 make some payments then pay it off. You also want them to think that they will get some money off of the loan for writing it or referring to a loan company.

Third, your depending on bad weather, so may some others. If you don't have all that snow...

Fourth, haven't you bought anything. Pretty easy to look up sales taxes for your state. Do you have any county taxes that have to be paid? How about a tax on your tires?

Fifth, I just passed the local Chevy dealer the other day. A light snow on the ground and two people were looking at Corvettes on the lot. Don't think by any means that your the only one thinking about buying sport cars in the winter.

Sixth, don't think because a new model is coming out and everyone will jump on it right away. If they do, then Ford will mark the cars up higher than retail and everyone that can't afford that, will be picking up 2014s.

Seventh and lastly, don't think your going into the dealer and beat him down and force him into giving you the car. They have to make so much money on the deals. If you were buying a Ferrari and paying a couple of a hundred thousands dollars, you would be at an advantage. Your trying to buy a car in the $20,000 are after taxes, license fees, etc...
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
The dealership doesn't care whether the money comes from your briefcase or a finance company's check. Either way they are getting the same amount.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
The dealership doesn't care whether the money comes from your briefcase or a finance company's check. Either way they are getting the same amount.
False. Dealers get a % from the finance company they know..its a kickback for them so don't always think cash will talk.
mustbstangin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Often dealers prefer cash because over a chance of someone else getting financed. A lot of people cannot get financed, cash is a sale- no ifs or maybes. Getting financed for 5 k is a joke, especially with that payment

Old 12-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustbstangin View Post
False. Dealers get a % from the finance company they know..its a kickback for them so don't always think cash will talk.
+1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang