Manual vs Automatic - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
yeah, the mustang is better, even the hemi engine doesn't give you 400+.

5K more and if I knew how to drive stick, I could have had a stingray with an LS7 and 505HP... But the price of maintaining it completely drove me away. 15K for a brake job...
Damn, that coulda been a nice purchase, at least you got that badass 5.0 instead
Funny thing happened today, my dad asked where I was and i said i was learning stick with my friend, and hes like well you better not hope youre buying a stick car..gonna be a tough one to convince him on this if i can find an 11 gt..even if its an auto.
Njd92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njd92 View Post
Damn, that coulda been a nice purchase, at least you got that badass 5.0 instead Funny thing happened today, my dad asked where I was and i said i was learning stick with my friend, and hes like well you better not hope youre buying a stick car..gonna be a tough one to convince him on this if i can find an 11 gt..even if its an auto.
dang. Same with my dad right now, he doesn't even want me learning stick until I turn 18 in slightly over 6 months, autos are still fun. Especially 13's and 14's... Because of select shift.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
dang. Same with my dad right now, he doesn't even want me learning stick until I turn 18 in slightly over 6 months, autos are still fun. Especially 13's and 14's... Because of select shift.
Kelley Blue Book
even though its not exactly near me, I would love that GT. If I still have warranty at my dealership and its not up when I go to trade the car in, how would that work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Kelley Blue Book even though its not exactly near me, I would love that GT. If I still have warranty at my dealership and its not up when I go to trade the car in, how would that work?
I'm not sure.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #40
Road Trip!

Region: California
Why do they said autos are better for turbos? I hear this a lot
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolPwny View Post
Why do they said autos are better for turbos? I hear this a lot
They are? Sweet...
Old 11-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #42
Road Trip!

I always thought 4.10s would suck with a stick. I always hear how they have almost no 1st gear.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #43
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
How the hell is it that all of these teenagers are talking about having new 5.0's?!?

I drove a freaking Hyundai Elantra in high school!

My parents didn't love me obviously.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
How the hell is it that all of these teenagers are talking about having new 5.0's?!? I drove a freaking Hyundai Elantra in high school! My parents didn't love me obviously.
It's a recession man, all the hip parent's are doin' it!
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:26 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I drove a 2003 mustang v6.

Then bought myself a twin turbo BMW
And now have a terminator...
The last two I bought by myself.
And I'm a 19yr old making 15-18k a year.
Just gotta know how to manage money well I guess.
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:18 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I like manual for the control. I can choose to cruise at 900 rpms, and when I need to go, right to second and gone. Select shift is okay, but it is not full control. It does not react like the intuition of shifting into the gear you want.

What pissed me off driving the Buick regal turbo in auto (with the same semi auto junk) was the computer thinking it knows better. It does what you say when it thinks it's okay. F that.

My new daily driver is a five speed, and I wouldn't have it any other way. All the time in traffic rowing is perfectly fine with me for the joy of always being in control. Plus, you'll have no problem starting in second when you want.

I see the reasoning for an auto, but I hated it. It made it almost autonomous. Driving, to me, should be interactive. An auto might as well be a Google car running itself. No thanks. The Mustang has 3 pedals, a lever, a wheel, and a switch. My daily driver for commuting and longer trips has an extra switch and button to work. If I wanted to not be involved in driving or have such little control I'd just order taxis.

If anyone is questioning it, go buy a $500 standard and just run it to death. Drive it to the wheels fall off, or resell it when the learning is done. Some may call it a waste, but if you really want to learn, that is 500 that will teach you lifelong lessons- if you don't resell it. I had a lot of friends with standards and they didn't care if I abused it. But what if you destroyed that tranny? It had a preexisting issue, and you accidentally destroyed it? Who is at fault? One could ruin a transmissions and a friendship.

Plus, I always love having a beater car. Have fun, abuse it, and keep your pride and joy nice and safe

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:38 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Quote:
does manual get annoying in traffic
It hasent gotten old for me, it's always fun to watch the people in an automatic gun from a stop light just to have to brake at the next one, while I try to keep it in second or third and never even touch brakes, a lot of the time you leave these people in the dust cause they are starting from a stop while you are still rolling at 10-20 mph, I'm amazed at how many people don't seem to understand when the light will turn green
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:42 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx View Post
I drove a 2003 mustang v6.

Then bought myself a twin turbo BMW
And now have a terminator...
The last two I bought by myself.
And I'm a 19yr old making 15-18k a year.
Just gotta know how to manage money well I guess.
Or be 19 and have no bills, family to support or responsibilities to speak of. I'm not hating, as we were all there at 19, but it's a pretty ridiculous statement.
xxPIKExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxPIKExx View Post

Or be 19 and have no bills, family to support or responsibilities to speak of. I'm not hating, as we were all there at 19, but it's a pretty ridiculous statement.
+1000
Sbales88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_stang View Post
It hasent gotten old for me, it's always fun to watch the people in an automatic gun from a stop light just to have to brake at the next one, while I try to keep it in second or third and never even touch brakes, a lot of the time you leave these people in the dust cause they are starting from a stop while you are still rolling at 10-20 mph, I'm amazed at how many people don't seem to understand when the light will turn green
Only time ive actuallygunned it from a light was yesterday, some ******bag in a camaro lol
Old 11-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_stang View Post
+ 1, just goes to show how many ppl aren't even paying attention. If you don't know the cycle of traffic lights at this point then you're just a f@cking idiot...
Clink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I have shoes older than you. Get the manual. Automatic is for the partially disabled. With the manual you'll pay attention to your driving and probably live a lot longer.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #53
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Are you kidding me??????????

A manual transmission is not even half or a million % as good as the automatics.

With a manual you will have a very hard time at:
Eating and texting at the same time.
Drinking and dialing your cell phone at the same time.
Putting on makeup in stop and go traffic.
Checking your I-Pad E-Mail in stop and go traffic while drinking your coffee.

Try doing any of the above and shift gears, It can't be done safely. Much safer and easier with an automatic transmission.

The Manual transmission is just not a very safe transmission to drive with unless you are on an interstate with little traffic so you don't have to shift gears while texting, drinking or eating.
Ronnie

PS: Just A little humor here. Ha! Ha!
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Auto if your an old fart, Manual all day errrrday until my knees fall apart.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #55
Road Trip!

Yup I have a bad right leg from an accident a couple years back. I can drive manual, but my right ankle still hurts from constant stop n go even in an auto lol
Old 11-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #56
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Funny

I'm an old fart but I still think it is funny.

Quote:
v8pony said: Auto if your an old fart, Manual all day errrrday until my knees fall apart.
Today 03:20 PM
Old 11-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #57
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I know what you mean

Quote:
KoolPwny SAID: Yup I have a bad right leg from an accident a couple years back. I can drive manual, but my right ankle still hurts from constant stop n go even in an auto lol
I like a Manual but my souvenirs from my old military days finely caught up with me and right hip is not very good and now my Left knee is hurting most of the time. Gets hard to use the clutch a lot.
At least the automatic in my 2012 V6 Mustang is excellent in every way. It is crisp and locks up great when I get on the throttle. All gears hold until red-line and shift perfect. I don't know about other peoples cars but I sure like the way Ford did mine.
Ronnie
Old 11-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black12 View Post
I have shoes older than you. Get the manual. Automatic is for the partially disabled. With the manual you'll pay attention to your driving and probably live a lot longer.
+1 unless it's strictly a strip car and is in paid brackets.
02GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #59
Road Trip!

Automatics are cool though you just have to have the right setup to have it shift at its best
Old 11-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I'm an old fart but I still think it is funny.
Lol it's just what my dad always says, he drove manual his entire life, everything from his trans ams, firebirds, maros, daily work trucks, but being in the HVAC field and working for hours upon hours on your knees in crawl spaces etc eventually caught up to him, I have now been in the HVAC business for 2 years now and there are days my knees don't feel so well lol.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #61
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I respect both sides, but personally I will always drive a manual. I just like the better control and response you get from it, instead of letting the computer decide everything for you. Plus it's fun to just rev and dump the clutch.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I respect both sides, but personally I will always drive a manual. I just like the better control and response you get from it, instead of letting the computer decide everything for you. Plus it's fun to just rev and dump the clutch.
+1
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

I'm an old fart and in my day we walked to school up to our knees in snow, no sissy school buses We learned about using clutch on things like dirt bikes and other contraptions like karts we built from scratch. Only one teenager in our high school had a new car, rest of us bought up older used cars and fixed them up in the auto class's garage at the school. Everyone knew how to drive stick, even the girls.

I can understand today that young folks do not know how to use stik or clutch, they don't play with the kind of motor toys, motor sports we had back in the day. 'Puters and games and such took that away.

I bought an Auto in my Mustang because my left leg gets Sciatica nerve and goes numb sometimes due to bad back. I wish I had gotten a manual however, and my next mustang will be manual. Instead of my hand, the Lady can just hold on to my leg while I rock the shifter and the car pushes her back in the seat.

I drove a few manual 'Stangs this summer and the thrill is 200% more when your in control. My select shift sometimes under WOT won't shift when I tell it to no matter how many button pushes I put in. This is due to 1st gear being very short and you get right up to the limiter fast, so I let the pedal up just a skosh and then it will shift. A tuner tech said it was because the transmissions are slow to fill. I didn't really understand that part however.

So this old fart votes Manual
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #64
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Just a question?????????????

I see most with the 2013 and 2014 automatics don't like the "Select Shift " What is it? I have a 2012 and just have low 2nd., 3rd. and drive on the console. Only a small button on the side of the shifter that locks out 6th. gear. Mine actually shifts great when I move the shifter.
I'm not familiar with the select shift on the 2013's up. What are they supposed to do that mine does not?
Did Ford "New & improve" something that was working pretty good before they improved it?
Ronnie
Old 11-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
It's sad that this is even a debate for a 17yr old. This is the kind of car that deserves a manual transmission and rewards a good driver. Until I get so feeble that I can't push down with my left leg I'll drive manual cars.

But, you're starting college. Keep your current car (if they even let you have a car on campus as a freshman) and worry about getting a degree. Even better, sell your car and save your money. Parking and paying tickets are expensive, driving is a hassle in most college towns. I only had a motorcycle when I was in college and it was awesome. Faster through traffic, dirty cheap to insure since it was adual sport, 50+mpg, great for relieving stress. I almost hate living in Alaska now because I have to have a car here... I miss riding every day so much.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I see most with the 2013 and 2014 automatics don't like the "Select Shift " What is it?
In the 2013+ the Sport Mode is the "S" on the shifter tree under "D" for Drive. The Stock Ford tune for sport mode is actually very good when you get used to it, it keeps RPMs up and ready for the next curve in the track.

Once in AUTO sport mode if you move the shifter buttons on the stick up or down you are now in Semi-Automatic mode. Nancy from Kali would say their is no reason for any person to have semi-automatics

So you can shift up and down, BUT only if the ECM thinks you are OK to do so...
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Before I go to college, I plan on trading in my mustang for a 2011+ GT.
Am I reading this right you want to go to college with a 5.0? I'm taking it that your in high school, so your parents are probably paying for your insurance and maybe even gas, however once you leave for college your probably be on your own and without a 5.0 you'll be broke, with a 5.0 you'll be in debt lol. Ill bet money that after your first semester in college you'll have to sell the 5.0 unless you'll parents ball you out. You'll be knocking your head against the wall for the next couple of years. Not saying trying to blow your bubble just saying that it is an extremely dumb idea financially for a college student unless your parents are paying for it.

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Love Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Dubloon View Post
Definitely, but keep practicing on your buddy's car. If you don't get a manual, you will HATE yourself. Guaranteed.
I look at my face in the mirror everyday and thank God for My Automatic.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I see most with the 2013 and 2014 automatics don't like the "Select Shift " What is it? I have a 2012 and just have low 2nd., 3rd. and drive on the console. Only a small button on the side of the shifter that locks out 6th. gear. Mine actually shifts great when I move the shifter. I'm not familiar with the select shift on the 2013's up. What are they supposed to do that mine does not? Did Ford "New & improve" something that was working pretty good before they improved it? Ronnie
The select shifter is decent IMO. If u just drop it down to a it locks out 6th gear & shifts/down shifts more aggressively! U can also hit the +/- button to shift thru all the gears urself but it's not as responsive & a manual. I've driven a frs with the paddle select shifters & it felt way more responsive than the mustang's select shifter.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

OP it all comes down to personal preference! I bought my manual 5.0 having 3 days of manual driving experience (2 of them being 5 years ago) I got the car home & practiced around my house. It really isn't that difficult to drive stick! As far as traffic goes..I live in Los Angeles which is one of the worst traffic spots in the US & I have yet to regret getting a manual but again it's ALL personal preference..choose what best suits u!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang