Manual vs Automatic - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #71

Region: Indiana
Definetly a Manuel unless theirs a lot of traffic.. than you'll get tired of it.however it'll beat a auto. You get to control you're engine and rpms, build cumbustion as to aUto you can't unless you take off overdrive even than tho..
santana1574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Jmoney, i pay for all of my gas and as much insurance as i can btw, if i were to trade it in i would LOVE to get a manual 5.0, i completely understand the money issue and if my parents/relatives want to chip in then id be more than grateful to get my hands on one.
Njd92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njd92 View Post
Jmoney, i pay for all of my gas and as much insurance as i can btw, if i were to trade it in i would LOVE to get a manual 5.0, i completely understand the money issue and if my parents/relatives want to chip in then id be more than grateful to get my hands on one.
Ya I'm in no way saying its not possible, it totally is. If you can keep your job and work enough in college that you can afford a GT, then go for it.

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #74
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Since you don't have a lot of traffic, go manual, even as a new-ish driver to manual transmissions. Only reason I didn't get stick was because I haven't learned yet.

The MT-82 is a hit or miss transmission, it's mostly fine, but once and a while it goes bad, and those are the only times people usually hear about it, no one posts" my MT-82 is fantastic", or very few do. Only the bad experiences get posted. If you don't plan on voiding the drivetrain warranty, it's fine, I'd still save up for an aftermarket clutch, and a short throw shifter, MGW is good.

Best of luck, either choice is good.
Most of the problems are with the 2011-12 model years. Ford did some improvement on the 13-14 but there are still issue but not as much as the the 11-12.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #75

Region: Maryland
I personally love manual, but automatic is awesome also! Whatever your are most comfortable with
Rexex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

I say go with automatic all the way like I have. That way you keep your pimp hand strong and show your b otches whose boss in the stang. That's how I roll. Forget that shifting crap. That's for track racing and the public streets ain't a race track. Lmao
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
does manual get annoying in traffic
not enough that you will dislike the car! You just gotta trust us on this manual is the one you want all the way! You'll love it once you learn how!
ArlingtonStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #78
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I really don't think so

dobypaw 3 say's:
Quote:
Most of the problems are with the 2011-12 model years. Ford did some improvement on the 13-14 but there are still issue but not as much as the the 11-12.
I don't think this is true. I haven't heard a thing about a bad 2011 or 2012 automatic Mustang Transmission. I sure don't have a problem with mine. There are several posts on this forum of troubles with the shifting on the 2013 and 2014 automatic transmissions. They were miner linkage problems but still problems.

I do like a stick but I also like a good automatic. They are both very good transmissions in our 3.7 V6 Mustangs and if your really into Drag racing you will love the Ford automatic in a 2011 or 2012 V6 Mustang. They work very well and hold to redline and shift great.

Of course the sticks are good as long as you change to a good shifter.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #79
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
dobypaw 3 say's:

I don't think this is true. I haven't heard a thing about a bad 2011 or 2012 automatic Mustang Transmission. I sure don't have a problem with mine. There are several posts on this forum of troubles with the shifting on the 2013 and 2014 automatic transmissions. They were miner linkage problems but still problems.

I do like a stick but I also like a good automatic. They are both very good transmissions in our 3.7 V6 Mustangs and if your really into Drag racing you will love the Ford automatic in a 2011 or 2012 V6 Mustang. They work very well and hold to redline and shift great.

Of course the sticks are good as long as you change to a good shifter.
Ronnie
Not the auto... Read the quote I posted to. The MT, that is what the OP was asking about the MT-82. Should have explained it s little better for those who do not read all post's. Sorry!
Old 12-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoney View Post
Ya I'm in no way saying its not possible, it totally is. If you can keep your job and work enough in college that you can afford a GT, then go for it.
Don't make the mistake of getting a V8 if you can't afford it. Nothing worse than have a really nice car and not being able to drive it because you can't afford to.

Your in college to learn, not to hot rod. Big difference when mommies and daddies buy their kids cars and you pay for your own.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Don't make the mistake of getting a V8 if you can't afford it. Nothing worse than have a really nice car and not being able to drive it because you can't afford to.

Your in college to learn, not to hot rod. Big difference when mommies and daddies buy their kids cars and you pay for your own.
I would add a Razor to this statement. Once you get with your the lady of your life, and raise kids in houses and such; all this car stuff is gone till you get to my advanced age.

So you can go for a GT when you can pay for it young at a job , enjoy it; put it away for years even, once you find your life lady. My biggest mistake was selling my GTX that the motor was burnt on for a song when I was young in marriage family. I could have just kept it for a few decades and made a huge windfall.

That will happen again as history repeats itself all too often; soon after all kinds of hot rods can be bought easy, the market changes and government and prices shuts the hot rods down again.

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
OP it all comes down to personal preference! I bought my manual 5.0 having 3 days of manual driving experience (2 of them being 5 years ago) I got the car home & practiced around my house. It really isn't that difficult to drive stick! As far as traffic goes..I live in Los Angeles which is one of the worst traffic spots in the US & I have yet to regret getting a manual but again it's ALL personal preference..choose what best suits u!
+1
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Everyone is making stick sound so fun haha..wishin my pony was a manual
Old 12-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Everyone is making stick sound so fun haha..wishin my pony was a manual
I'm sure it is, definitely requires more concentration, so they probably get more fun out of driving... I wish I had learned stick so I could have gotten a Boss 302 that was at the dealer for 500 more...
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
I'm sure it is, definitely requires more concentration, so they probably get more fun out of driving... I wish I had learned stick so I could have gotten a Boss 302 that was at the dealer for 500 more...
For 500 more I would have bought the boss!!!!!
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post
For 500 more I would have bought the boss!!!!!
Me too, but my dad didn't want me learning stick on it... And it was red, the color I wanted.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

I've driven autos for 20 years, I hit about 30mins of traffic going in and 40mins returning from work each day. My 13 stang was my first manual car and I can honestly say I'll never go back! Driving stick in traffic is absolutely no bother to me, its so much more fun that I just bought a winter car, 2000 Mazda protege, and it had to be a manual! Long live manual transmissions!
Old 12-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by santana1574 View Post
Definetly a Manuel unless theirs a lot of traffic.. than you'll get tired of it.however it'll beat a auto. You get to control you're engine and rpms, build cumbustion as to aUto you can't unless you take off overdrive even than tho..
A manual will beat an auto at the track, but an auto will rip on a manual in the strip. Only a VERY FEW can constantly shift faster than an auto.

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A manual will beat an auto at the track, but an auto will rip on a manual in the strip. Only a VERY FEW can constantly shift faster than an auto.
Truth
Old 12-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Now If anyone would kindly give me a 2011 5.0 manual..............
Old 12-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Now If anyone would kindly give me a 2011 5.0 manual..............
I'm with him, anyone have an 11+ manual GT they don't want
Old 12-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys I'm 16 and my first car I got is a 2007 V6 manual an trust me it took me days to learn and after a little while you don't even realize your shifting I drive a lot and in a traffic area and it never bothers me! Trust me if you get an automatic you will hate yourself there's so many more opportunities with a manual and I'm in the same shoes as you so you can trust me it is so easy once your used to it and there has never been a time where I'm like I wish I had an automatic!
c_walsh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Idk what's going on in this thread, but manual is my choice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1625504429.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	139287

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #94
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
I would add a Razor to this statement. Once you get with your the lady of your life, and raise kids in houses and such; all this car stuff is gone till you get to my advanced age.

So you can go for a GT when you can pay for it young at a job , enjoy it; put it away for years even, once you find your life lady. My biggest mistake was selling my GTX that the motor was burnt on for a song when I was young in marriage family. I could have just kept it for a few decades and made a huge windfall.

That will happen again as history repeats itself all too often; soon after all kinds of hot rods can be bought easy, the market changes and government and prices shuts the hot rods down again.

Art
Well put. I fell into this catagory as well. My son has moved out and is on his own, with the "occasional" handout from mom and dad!

While I'm not driving my dream Boss 302, I am having a youthful experience with my current ride, and am in no way making any excuses for it's automatic transmission. I can drive manual, but got the great deal on this automatic. With the tune I'm running, the shifts are firm and crisp, and I'm betting a comperable V6 would not be any faster then my ride.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #95
Road Trip!

Quote:

Only a VERY FEW can shift faster than an auto...

I will add to that...
Faster than a stock auto... Once it is tuned the auto's shift are pretty much instantaneous. And next to the best in the world I highly doubt anyone you meet will shift faster than a tuned auto. Even a stock 5.0 auto.

If your in traffic for 50% or more of your travels or you plan on going to the strip then get the auto. Not much traffic and like to do track day at a road course then 100% get the MT.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post

Only a VERY FEW can shift faster than an auto...

I will add to that...
Faster than a stock auto... Once it is tuned the auto's shift are pretty much instantaneous. But to shift faster that the 5.0 auto is a VERY VERY tough thing to do. Mist people will miss 3rd trying to do so.

If your in traffic for 50% or more of your travels or you plan on going to the strip then get the auto. Not much traffic and like to do track day at a road course then 100% get the MT.
+1, A tuned auto will win 9 out of 10 times over manual. The auto shifts perfect every time and never misses a gear unlike human error.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #97
Road Trip!

Region: California
I love manual but a great deal on my auto so i have no regrets at all lol. I like both.

The right setup on an auto and that **** will take off like a bat out of hell
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #98
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Even NASCAR leads this way....only time I see manuals there is on the road courses they run. All else are automatics.

And all out dragging at the 1/4 tracks: automatics.

My preference? Either. It's all in the price, other options, and color. Kona Blue, or Race red for me. Leather interior, performance package, then the transmission type.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Even NASCAR leads this way....only time I see manuals there is on the road courses they run. All else are automatics.

And all out dragging at the 1/4 tracks: automatics.

My preference? Either. It's all in the price, other options, and color. Kona Blue, or Race red for me. Leather interior, performance package, then the transmission type.
NASCAR cars are all Manual's
Old 12-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
NASCAR cars are all Manuel's
+1
Old 12-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #101
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I have a few pansy cars too. My dd is a pansy car, only reason is it was bought for my wife to drive. Should have bought a manual.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

NASCAR cars are all Manual's
+2
Old 12-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #103
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
+1
I should have mentioned better detail....not the "big boys"...yet. The lower catagory NASCAR autos are playing with them, and have run a few races with automatics. The killer is in the heat that they are generating, as the small grill in front is not cooling the tranny fluid enough for them (automatics) to survive.

It will come though.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I should have mentioned better detail....not the "big boys"...yet. The lower catagory NASCAR autos are playing with them, and have run a few races with automatics. The killer is in the heat that they are generating, as the small grill in front is not cooling the tranny fluid enough for them (automatics) to survive.

It will come though.
Ok I gotcha now!!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #105
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I have a few pansy cars too. My dd is a pansy car, only reason is it was bought for my wife to drive. Should have bought a manual.
Careful.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang