Manual vs Automatic - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Manual vs Automatic

After a thinking for a bit, I have come to the conclusion that I have the mod bug. I have a 2012 v6 auto and was about to spend a lot of money in an effort to make it perform better. I decided to save all of my money and save it up for when I buy a 5.0 gt. Before I go to college, I plan on trading in my mustang for a 2011+ GT. My only problem is to go automatic or go manual. I just started to learn stick today in my buddies '95 GT. While I'm not very good at it, its very fun. I have heard that there are problems with the new 5.0 manuals and I was wondering if any of you can help me out. Should I go with an auto or a maual? I live in an area where there isnt too much traffic but it is there, and there are hills around.
Sorry if this was long..
Njd92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #2

Region: California
No question, 6speed manual
Dick Dubloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Dubloon View Post
No question, 6speed manual
even as a relatively new stick driver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Since you don't have a lot of traffic, go manual, even as a new-ish driver to manual transmissions. Only reason I didn't get stick was because I haven't learned yet.

The MT-82 is a hit or miss transmission, it's mostly fine, but once and a while it goes bad, and those are the only times people usually hear about it, no one posts" my MT-82 is fantastic", or very few do. Only the bad experiences get posted. If you don't plan on voiding the drivetrain warranty, it's fine, I'd still save up for an aftermarket clutch, and a short throw shifter, MGW is good.

Best of luck, either choice is good.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njd92 View Post

Yes.
I love my 6-speed.
I've had my cobra(first stick I learned on took me an hour or two if that) for a month. Love it.
Hardest part?
Quick shifting and sometimes missing.
All takes practice
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Definitely, but keep practicing on your buddy's car. If you don't get a manual, you will HATE yourself. Guaranteed.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Dubloon View Post
Definitely, but keep practicing on your buddy's car. If you don't get a manual, you will HATE yourself. Guaranteed.
how different is the clutch on the new models? Also, how is shifting on..say an 11 gt compared to his 95 gt
Old 11-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #8

Quote:
how different is the clutch on the new models? Also, how is shifting on..say an 11 gt compared to his 95 gt
Not sure, but I am pretty damn sure that you'll pick it up easy. When I got my car a couple months ago 2012 v6, I hadn't driven a clutch in a couple years. it's like riding a bike, you never forget.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
My opinion is to get the manual for the second car. The fun car.

My daily driver will always be an auto.

My first car was a manual, and while it was fun I hated it at times. I don't know about where you live, but where I live occasionally there's traffic. There's nothing worse than stop and go traffic.

I also like keeping my right hand free to hold the girls hand that happens to be in the passenger seat.

Just my $.02
Old 11-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
My opinion is to get the manual for the second car. The fun car.

My daily driver will always be an auto.

My first car was a manual, and while it was fun I hated it at times. I don't know about where you live, but where I live occasionally there's traffic. There's nothing worse than stop and go traffic.

I also like keeping my right hand free to hold the girls hand that happens to be in the passenger seat.

Just my $.02
I cant exactly get 2 cars seeing as im 17..
Old 11-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I cant exactly get 2 cars seeing as im 17..
Yeah, in that case, I'd go auto. But again, that's just personal opinion.

Gotta do what you feel will give you the most satisfaction.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Yeah, in that case, I'd go auto. But again, that's just personal opinion.

Gotta do what you feel will give you the most satisfaction.
i feel like stick would be so fun when i take it on the parkway and punch it.
but then when im driving around town and theres lights with cars everywhere...
Old 11-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i feel like stick would be so fun when i take it on the parkway and punch it. but then when im driving around town and theres lights with cars everywhere...
Lol a classic dilemma.

I do believe everyone should own a manual at least once.

The great thing is that you've got a badass car regardless of whether it's a stick or auto.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I vote Manual.
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

does manual get annoying in traffic
Old 11-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #16
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Depends on how long you're in it. After about 20 minutes the novelty wears off.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not for me my car and my truck are 5 speeds and they never get annoying.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Tough decision..ive driven a 5.0 auto but not a stick and the auto was very fun for being an auto...I feel like since its a mustang I should get stick lol
Old 11-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Tough decision..ive driven a 5.0 auto but not a stick and the auto was very fun for being an auto...I feel like since its a mustang I should get stick lol
The auto is very good, and does have selectshift mode, which turns it into a "manual".

I'd say get an auto if your expecting to have a lot of traffic, stick if not.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
The auto is very good, and does have selectshift mode, which turns it into a "manual".

I'd say get an auto if your expecting to have a lot of traffic, stick if not.
True, option 3 is keep my auto v6 and put a CAI and tune it so I get some more hp from it, and keep that as long as i can then eventually buy a newer 5.0 stick when im older..a 5.0 auto is out of my price range :$.
I don't mean to come off like i don't like my current car btw lol. I love her. also, what exactly is select shifting and what model is it in?
Old 11-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
True, option 3 is keep my auto v6 and put a CAI and tune it so I get some more hp from it, and keep that as long as i can then eventually buy a newer 5.0 stick when im older..a 5.0 auto is out of my price range :$. I don't mean to come off like i don't like my current car btw lol. I love her. also, what exactly is select shifting and what model is it in?
Select shift should be in all 2011 and newer mustangs, whenever they started using the 6R80 automatic transmission, put the shifter in the S , and then press the paddles on the shifter. You now have manual control. It is also safe to shift in and out of D and S while driving. You can also just put the shifter in S for higher RPM's while staying automatic.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Select shift should be in all 2011 and newer mustangs, whenever they started using the 6R80 automatic transmission, put the shifter in the S , and then press the paddles on the shifter. You now have manual control. It is also safe to shift in and out of D and S while driving. You can also just put the shifter in S for higher RPM's while staying automatic.
But no clutch that's no fun lol
Old 11-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Never mind all that, it's in the 13 and 14, you don't have select shift. I'm sorry for the confusion, I forgot that the 6R80 automatic transmission was introduced in the 2013 model year.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i dont believe i have it in my 21 v6..i could be wrong.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post
But no clutch that's no fun lol
Agreed. I want to learn stick so bad.

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Quote:
i dont believe i have it in my 21 v6..i could be wrong.
Sorry for the confusion, it's in the 13 and 14's, I was thinking Ford introduced the 6R80 at the same time as the MT-82. It's not in the 12's.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Agreed. I want to learn stick so bad.
yeah dude i had a blast punching my buddies gt in the parking lot. Im torn between keeping my auto 12 v6 and modding it a bit or just saving up for a gt when i turn 18 towards the summer..decisions decisions..
Old 11-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah dude i had a blast punching my buddies gt in the parking lot. Im torn between keeping my auto 12 v6 and modding it a bit or just saving up for a gt when i turn 18 towards the summer..decisions decisions..
are you going to be paying insurance and car payments? If so, stick with the V6, less of a nightmare. If your parents are going to pay for most of it, go with the GT.
Unless you think you can handle the payments... I have a friend that is paying off his car himself, senior in college, and my golf coach. We have 3 people who have mustangs on the golf team, me(2013 GT Premium) coach(2013 GT) and a friend (2006 V6 convertible)
Old 11-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
are you going to be paying insurance and car payments? If so, stick with the V6, less of a nightmare. If your parents are going to pay for most of it, go with the GT.
Unless you think you can handle the payments... I have a friend that is paying off his car himself, senior in college, and my golf coach. We have 3 people who have mustangs on the golf team, me(2013 GT Premium) coach(2013 GT) and a friend (2006 V6 convertible)
not sure, what do yuo reckon i could get for my 12 v6 with 24k miles on it..Maybe like 16k, then i have another 2 grand from working that i put in my savings, so about 18k, i doubt that would get me even an 11 gt. (my parents wont pay any extra for this) I dont want them to either, i like using my money for my car
Old 11-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
not sure, what do yuo reckon i could get for my 12 v6 with 24k miles on it..Maybe like 16k, then i have another 2 grand from working that i put in my savings, so about 18k, i doubt that would get me even an 11 gt. (my parents wont pay any extra for this) I dont want them to either, i like using my money for my car
It might, the 11+ GT's price will probably tank because of the 2015 mustang. So you could probably find some good deals for low mileage 11+ GT's, also, I'd try pushing 17 or 18 as a trade in, but do it soon if your going to do it.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It might, the 11+ GT's price will probably tank because of the 2015 mustang. So you could probably find some good deals for low mileage 11+ GT's, also, I'd try pushing 17 or 18 as a trade in, but do it soon if your going to do it.
hmm, right now i have a CAI and Tuner that I purchased and did plan on returning...maybe I can put it in since i may just end up keeping it. If the 22 gt goes down ill bring this up with my parents and have a legitmate discussion about getting a gt, i would be willing to work more to make payments for it. I dont know how my dad would feel with my having 412 ponies behind the hweel XD. Needless to say, he is quite experienced driving at high speeds so maybe i could sway his opinion....
id still be happy with my modded v6, cant beat an 11 gt, righ tnow theyre about 23+grand...too much as is
Old 11-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
hmm, right now i have a CAI and Tuner that I purchased and did plan on returning...maybe I can put it in since i may just end up keeping it. If the 22 gt goes down ill bring this up with my parents and have a legitmate discussion about getting a gt, i would be willing to work more to make payments for it. I dont know how my dad would feel with my having 412 ponies behind the hweel XD. Needless to say, he is quite experienced driving at high speeds so maybe i could sway his opinion.... id still be happy with my modded v6, cant beat an 11 gt, righ tnow theyre about 23+grand...too much as is
412 behind the wheel when you already have 305 isn't too bad, I went from 158 in a Pontiac 4 cylinder, to 420 in the 13 GT. You can handle it just fine.
I had to convince my dad for quite a while(about 4 months).
Old 11-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
412 behind the wheel when you already have 305 isn't too bad, I went from 158 in a Pontiac 4 cylinder, to 420 in the 13 GT. You can handle it just fine.
I had to convince my dad for quite a while(about 4 months).
I personally know I can handle it..i originally wanted to get a charger R/T but he was hesitant since it had that big old hemi in it. I tend to be more careful in a more powerful car, if you know what i mean
Old 11-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I personally know I can handle it..i origianally wanted to get a charger R/T but he was hesitant since it had that big old hemi in it. I tend to be more careful in a more powerful car, if you know what i mean
yeah, the mustang is better, even the hemi engine doesn't give you 400+.
5K more and if I knew how to drive stick, I could have had a corvette stingray with an LS7 and 505HP... But the price of maintaining it completely drove me away. 15K for a brake job...

If I knew how to drive stick, I'd be in a red 2013 boss 302 right now...
Old 11-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I personally know I can handle it..i origianally wanted to get a charger R/T but he was hesitant since it had that big old hemi in it. I tend to be more careful in a more powerful car, if you know what i mean
Lol that's what we all say lol jk
Old 11-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post
Lol that's what we all say lol jk
+1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang