Best Bama tune for jump and acceleration? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Best Bama tune for jump and acceleration?

I just ordered the Airaid CAI and bama tuner combo ($540 black friday special). I've been doing a bunch of research on the characteristics of each tune. What I really want from my tune is more down low power and jump off the line. I don't race or track the car, I'm just looking for more fun around town and down some back roads, generally staying under 70 mph.

I have a 2013 V6 manual transmission, 2.73 gears (upgrading in next year, hopefully), Airaid CAI, and Roush axle back.

Any info/experience would be great!
- Roush Axle-back Exhaust
- Airaid CAI
- 20% Tint
GBMustang13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I have the 93 hybrid tune and I feel like it's the best. I have 3.73 gears though.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Layton, what makes the hybrid tune different from the others?
- Airaid CAI
- 20% Tint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMustang13 View Post
I just ordered the Airaid CAI and bama tuner combo ($540 black friday special). I've been doing a bunch of research on the characteristics of each tune. What I really want from my tune is more down low power and jump off the line. I don't race or track the car, I'm just looking for more fun around town and down some back roads, generally staying under 70 mph.

I have a 2013 V6 manual transmission, 2.73 gears (upgrading in next year, hopefully), Airaid CAI, and Roush axle back.

Get a MPT tune lol
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Since this is my first experience tuning, I don't want to have to pay $75 each time I want to try a new tune... Maybe once I find out which of the Bama tunes I like, I will look at MPT. I was really just looking for anyone that might have some experience trying out different tunes to point me in the right direction.
- Airaid CAI
- 20% Tint
Old 12-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Since this is my first experience tuning, I don't want to have to pay $75 each time I want to try a new tune... Maybe once I find out which of the Bama tunes I like, I will look at MPT. I was really just looking for anyone that might have some experience trying out different tunes to point me in the right direction.
I have MPT, Bama, Steeda, VMP and soon ill have AED. U decide who has more experience.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Quote:
MPT will give u a 6month window of free updates to ur tunes and then after that its 50 bucks and then u get another 6 months
Old 12-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Quote:
I love the hybrid tune it fells amazing...but after I get my cams long tubes and motion deltes I'm ganna get a custom dyno tune
Luna1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

that's good to know, i'll definitely keep that in mind. since i've already paid for bama, i'll start there. by experience, i mean other forums members experiences with different tunes. not tuning companies' experience.
- Airaid CAI
- 20% Tint
Old 12-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Quote:
that's good to know, i'll definitely keep that in mind. since i've already paid for bama, i'll start there. by experience, i mean other forums members experiences with different tunes. not tuning companies' experience.
I ran the normal tunes for a while before I Lerned about the hybrid....now my 3 tunes are hybrid, nos, and I asked for tune to help me out for highway driving. And so my wife can drive the car without getting scared...I call it the cripple tune
Luna1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Performance, hybrid, and street for your 3 tunes
Old 12-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

MPT hands down. bama doesn't even compare IMO
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
The best thing about bama is the tuner is cheap. Why pay 380 for a tuner then another 75 for tunes when you pay 352 with discount and you get tunes for life. Plus these new tuners hold ten tunes. I'm sure 3 tunes out of 10 isn't going to be that bad.

I have tried the 87 street. It's got some good low grunt. My highway went down and city went up. In now trying the 89 performance tune. It's ok. It's like a vtec experience now. No real power under 3k and from 3-5 it pulls really hard. The street had better shifting firmness and throttle response. I'm going to take a road trip and see how the mpg is. After that I will try my hybrid tune, or that's what I hope it is cause I requested it, even though it says race tune, and it's at 93 octane. I would recommend making all the tunes 93 to get the best gains across the board.

The airaid without a tune helps throttle response but what really helped mine the most is the street tune. The hybrid is just a street and race tune together. Low and high range power. And some sick nasty shift firmness and no lag
Old 12-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

The best thing about bama is the tuner is cheap. Why pay 380 for a tuner then another 75 for tunes when you pay 352 with discount and you get tunes for life. Plus these new tuners hold ten tunes. I'm sure 3 tunes out of 10 isn't going to be that bad.

I have tried the 87 street. It's got some good low grunt. My highway went down and city went up. In now trying the 89 performance tune. It's ok. It's like a vtec experience now. No real power under 3k and from 3-5 it pulls really hard. The street had better shifting firmness and throttle response. I'm going to take a road trip and see how the mpg is. After that I will try my hybrid tune, or that's what I hope it is cause I requested it, even though it says race tune, and it's at 93 octane. I would recommend making all the tunes 93 to get the best gains across the board.

The airaid without a tune helps throttle response but what really helped mine the most is the street tune. The hybrid is just a street and race tune together. Low and high range power. And some sick nasty shift firmness and no lag
Actually MPT sells the tuner with tunes buddy lol just correcting wrong info thats all
Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Layton, what makes the hybrid tune different from the others?
It's a mix between the race and performance I just fill a lot more low end power with not over doing throttle response
Old 12-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Street for your low end, performance for overall smoothness, and hybrid for the best of everything. I ran the 93h for my dd. Get the tunes in the highest octane available and enjoy
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
Actually MPT sells the tuner with tunes buddy lol just correcting wrong info thats all
For less than $352? I was told by a tuner that SCT devices were sold at 380 and no less due to some contract and they look away at AM because they are their biggest clients.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Does hybrid only come as a 93 octane tune? Or can you get 87/89?
- Airaid CAI
- 20% Tint
Old 12-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
For less than $352? I was told by a tuner that SCT devices were sold at 380 and no less due to some contract and they look away at AM because they are their biggest clients.
That sounds a bit shady..how could SCT "look away" at AM and go after anyone else selling it for less?

Dewey Screwem and How law firm would have a hey day with that type of contract inforcment!

As to the OP's question, if you have the Bama arrangement, use the free tunes for life arrangement. I bought a used, unmarried tuner, and investigated and read up on the tunes that were out there. I loaded one of the street tunes that was on the tuner, then bought an MPT 93 octane tune. The MPT is what I stuck with.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

I have Bama, Steeda and MPT tunes. I'm assuming you purchased the tuner through American Muscle and based upon that, go with a 91 hybrid tune. It will give you exactly what you want. I have a 91 hybrid tune and its real nice.

With that said, down the road also go with MPT tune. 91 or 93 race performance tune. Hope that helps.

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
MPT hands down. bama doesn't even compare IMO
MPT is a beast on tunes^

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

Quote:

Get a MPT tune lol
^ I second that motion. All in favor say I
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

I have Bama, Steeda and MPT tunes. I'm assuming you purchased the tuner through American Muscle and based upon that, go with a 91 hybrid tune. It will give you exactly what you want. I have a 91 hybrid tune and its real nice.

With that said, down the road also go with MPT tune. 91 or 93 race performance tune. Hope that helps.

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

MPT is a beast on tunes^

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

^ I second that motion. All in favor say I
Question about mpt and there tune policies. I'm ordering one in the spring (91) and I'm aware its 75$ each, but will they update the one tune if you upgrade something on your ride say like full exhaust, or is that another 75$ Thx.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

Question about mpt and there tune policies. I'm ordering one in the spring (91) and I'm aware its 75$ each, but will they update the one tune if you upgrade something on your ride say like full exhaust, or is that another 75$ Thx.
Its my understanding MPT will make you another tune for the first 6 months even if one adds modifications.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #22
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Its my understanding MPT will make you another tune for the first 6 months even if one adds modifications.
Each tune is $75.00. If you ordered a tuner from them, you get 3 free tunes.

I don't think MPT gives you another tune (if you bought one) wihin 6 months for free. If I'm wrong, please set me straight!
Old 12-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
That sounds a bit shady..how could SCT "look away" at AM and go after anyone else selling it for less? Dewey Screwem and How law firm would have a hey day with that type of contract inforcment! As to the OP's question, if you have the Bama arrangement, use the free tunes for life arrangement. I bought a used, unmarried tuner, and investigated and read up on the tunes that were out there. I loaded one of the street tunes that was on the tuner, then bought an MPT 93 octane tune. The MPT is what I stuck with.
Don't quote me on that but I remember a legit tuner telling me that, something along those lines. And also that bama is safe with their tunes but they advance timing too much instead of actually tuning and that's why sometimes they fall short of MPT and such. Also said it could cause knock or ping. But it's like in the old days you manually advance timing on a distributer. Therefore generally safe and I got the tuner for $352 with the tunes for life program. Got 10 slots, why not? And since they are supposedly the most tame. Start with them until you can get a feel for the car. As of now I'm on the 89P tune. Going a month with it then loading the hybrid tune just to see which one is the best mpg.

I have to call and get my tunes bumped to 93 octane anyway. And I can do that whenever I need. In spring in getting new tires and shorties. They can adjust that for free where as MPT will charge if you're not in that 6 month period. MPT will be getting my money for their ghost cam tune as I show my car regularly.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Don't quote me on that but I remember a legit tuner telling me that, something along those lines. And also that bama is safe with their tunes but they advance timing too much instead of actually tuning and that's why sometimes they fall short of MPT and such. Also said it could cause knock or ping. But it's like in the old days you manually advance timing on a distributer. Therefore generally safe and I got the tuner for $352 with the tunes for life program. Got 10 slots, why not? And since they are supposedly the most tame. Start with them until you can get a feel for the car. As of now I'm on the 89P tune. Going a month with it then loading the hybrid tune just to see which one is the best mpg.

I have to call and get my tunes bumped to 93 octane anyway. And I can do that whenever I need. In spring in getting new tires and shorties. They can adjust that for free where as MPT will charge if you're not in that 6 month period. MPT will be getting my money for their ghost cam tune as I show my car regularly.
I agree. +1
Old 12-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #25
Admin

Supporter
Admin

The ghost cam tune...never understood why folks go with this?

I agree with everything else you are doing in the way of starting with the least agressive tune, and working up until you are satisfied with the performance and MPG efficiency you are happy with. I sort of did this to a point, but then I just got aggressive and loaded the 93 street tune from MPT. No knock or ping either, as long as I continue to shell out the big bucks for that 93 octane fuel. Ouch, that's starting to get expensive, just for a bit more "fun".
Old 12-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #26
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I went looking for more info on the "ghost cam" deal. Found this article that involves American Muscle's take on it:

Chris from AM:
There was only one person ever to successfully replicate the cammed idle, and that was Jon Lund. He has access to parameters that even aftermarket tuning software companies currently do not. He was able to make it work, because of parameters that are missing from everyone else's database access.

While we were able to replicate the idle, it came with drivability problems such as surging or stalling - which these missing parameters could correct. All other versions of the tune from other sources have the same idle quality issues, other than Jon Lund's latest version, before he discontinued it. This is why nobody is able to replicate it until those parameters are available/added to aftermarket tuning software. Even then, Bama will choose not to offer it, out of respect for Ford engineers. Our 60% completed R&D version never made it to market, because we couldn't figure out the drivability issues until Jon Lund, a friend of mine, and I spoke - and he told me about the missing parameters. There was a "value file" that would make the 2011's "cam" floating around for a while. When I got ahold of it and showed it to Jon, he confirmed it was a copy of his work, before the idle issues were solved.

MF Editor:
Was this based on intervention by Ford because they are attempting to develop their own ghost cam technology based on the TracKey?

Chris from AM:
Ford never intervened anywhere. Ford Racing engineers were upset that the technology hit the market and were wanting to patent technology related to this (via FoMoCo), even though used in a different way. To keep things from getting complicated, and the aftermarket in good standing, the tune was dropped. No official intervention, but yes - it was done in light of not wanting enemies where it's not necessary.

MF Editor:
Were there any issues that you know of caused by these ghost cam tunes? It seems to me that the ghost cam tune is essentially, intentionally causing a rough idle...was there any downfall to the customer including damage to the vehicle/warranty issues that could be caused by this?

Chris from AM:
The idle quality, like I said, was the original downfall for everyone except Jon Lund, admittedly or not. There weren't any vehicle/warranty issues that a customer wouldn't have with any other tune, regardless of cammed idle. Returning the car to stock, and making sure you avoid the dealer for anything that isn't necessary is a good idea. Also, understanding that Ford can't legally void a warranty unless it's directly resulting in your warranty claim is crucial. If you're in there for faulty window weather-stripping, your powertrain warranty shouldn't be affected, for example.

So that's really what happened. It's not a big deal, anyway. We can still replicate the extra bottom-end torque, taking hints from how the Boss was calibrated, which most tuners have been doing for quite some time. The cammed idle tune was nothing but a novelty, and I'm almost glad it never made it. It took a while for the car to actually start "camming" on start up or decel (coming to a stop at lights, etc.) and didn't sound anything like a real cam, in those respects. No horsepower benefits, really.

Based on the points made by Chris from American Muscle, the decision to drop these ghost cam tunes was not something that was forced by Ford, but rather, these items were removed from shelves out of respect to the technology being used by the Ford engineers. Also, while the ghost cam tune may have caused idle issues (which is, after all, what you are going for with this type of tune) there was no damage done by these tunes that replicated the sound of a cammed 5.0L V8.

Then I found this from AM:

There's no damaging effects of the Ghost Cam tune, just poor gas mileage. Also, you're required to have an O/R mid-pipe and manual transmission if interested in our Bama Performance version.

Also read that the extra fuel required in the tune to get the lumpy idle can cause damage to the cats, which was why they required the O/R or mid pipe.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

everytime I needed my tune adjusted MPT always sent me a revised one for free
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I'll contact them tomorrow to find out more.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I just ordered 3 new tunes from bama for free. I've heard of Jon Lund and his tunes. MPT has them for catted versions. They will cut the idle out of they get to hot for safety.

I'll look into his work as a tuner, not for ghost cams but in general. Louis Ortiz is also a very good tuner.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Lund is the GOD of tuning lol why dobu think most of these record breaking mustangs are tuned by him? If u want the best in tuning go with Lund. But he is pricy. I went with MPT because they provide great tunes and have worked with Lund himself
Old 12-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lund is the GOD of tuning lol why dobu think most of these record breaking mustangs are tuned by him? If u want the best in tuning go with Lund. But he is pricy. I went with MPT because they provide great tunes and have worked with Lund himself
On a N/A car with bolt on's the lord Jesus can tune your car. There is only so much safe HP a engine can get with a tune. My car made 297 rwhp with MPT tune. John Lund could tune it and there is no way he is getting me a big difference in power. There is only so much a tune can do and safe power from that tune regardless who tunes your car. No doubt Lund is a great tuner but for a vehicle that had just bolt on mods ,go elsewhere and save a bunch of loot.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
On a N/A car with bolt on's the lord Jesus can tune your car. There is only so much safe HP a engine can get with a tune. My car made 297 rwhp with MPT tune. John Lund could tune it and there is no way he is getting me a big difference in power. There is only so much a tune can do and safe power from that tune regardless who tunes your car. No doubt Lund is a great tuner but for a vehicle that had just bolt on mods ,go elsewhere and save a bunch of loot.
This is true. Which is why Lund does not bother with bolt on only cars unless it's a special case, like z28this, who is the stick n/a record holder. He has full bolt ons and ported intake manifolds though.
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post

This is true. Which is why Lund does not bother with bolt on only cars unless it's a special case, like z28this, who is the stick n/a record holder. He has full bolt ons and ported intake manifolds though.
Lmao Lund Tunes hundreds of NA cars haha
Old 12-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #34
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi GBMustang13

For what your asking, Get a lower ratio Rear. The 273 is fine for MPG and excellent at 80 up MPH But a lower ratio is way better for snappy around town driving and very good up to 70MPH. You already have a tuner so no problem tuning for the ratio you decide on. There are plenty of posts on this forum about gear ratios so do a search and read up on them to see which one you would want. I still have a 273 so I can't suggest which ratio would be for you.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
For what your asking, Get a lower ratio Rear. The 273 is fine for MPG and excellent at 80 up MPH But a lower ratio is way better for snappy around town driving and very good up to 70MPH. You already have a tuner so no problem tuning for the ratio you decide on. There are plenty of posts on this forum about gear ratios so do a search and read up on them to see which one you would want. I still have a 273 so I can't suggest which ratio would be for you.
Ronnie
Right, I said i was upgrading gears next year. My question was specific to getting low end grunt out of tune.
- Airaid CAI
- 20% Tint

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang