Storing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Storing

For those of us in the Great White North, be cautious on storing without removing battery. In 2 wks my battery went dead & have since removed it, charged it & storing in basement on a piece of wood. Must be a constant drain with either computer or something else.
Deep Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Impact View Post
For those of us in the Great White North, be cautious on storing without removing battery. In 2 wks my battery went dead & have since removed it, charged it & storing in basement on a piece of wood. Must be a constant drain with either computer or something else.
Microprocessor controlled battery maintainers take care of this well know problem. Sets you back around $20-30 at pretty much any local auto parts store.
87LX306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I read that your better off leaving a trickle charger that has a shut off also I didn't jack up the car & leave it on blocks they say the new cars should not be jacked up they say its better to fill the tires to about 50 lbs of pressure put your stay-bil in the gas & you you should be good to go the newer computer cars don't do well being left without a battery ? I'll let you know when I get back did it last year on my other cars not the 2013 V6 , they say put piece of rug under each tire before you leave it sit , that I did less work also
jon paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

jon paris is sure right on this one , YEP-100% correct

Sta-bil in the gas tank A must.
No Jack stands
I would say about 40 PSI in all for tires
A battery tender that maintains the charge

Other things to do
Throw some moth balls under the car,
Cover the exhaust tips,
Put a can of sta-dry inside of the car.

Very Important.
Do not start the engine until next spring.
Just let it sit. Starting the engine will only cause problems so just don't do it.

If you have a car cover "Use It"

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Plenty of decon and a battery tender is all you need. Stabil is over rated and will make your car smoke till its gone. My car's sit for 6mon at a time with no problems what so ever. I've started one of my bikes after sitting 3yrs with the same gas in it.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Sta-Bil is needed

Gas has ethanol in it, It gathers moisture, Sta-bil don't cost that much not to use it.
TC X 4 can do what he wants but he is totally wrong about not using Sta-bil when storing anything with gas in it.

Shari's 66 Mustang sat in a garage before she bought it for 3 1/2 years without Sta-bil. I charged the battery, filled the tires and poured a little gas into the corroborator and it started right up. "BUT" The gas tank was full of rust and corrosion as well as the carburetor needed to be replaced as well as the fuel pump and lines. If it had Sta-bil in it , All of that or most of it could have been avoided.

Sta-bil has been around for a very long time and is well known by boaters, Motorcycle owners and car people that store vehicles.

Anybody say's not to use it is ill informed, cheap or stupid.
Ronnie
Old 12-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Plenty of decon and a battery tender is all you need. Stabil is over rated and will make your car smoke till its gone. My car's sit for 6mon at a time with no problems what so ever. I've started one of my bikes after sitting 3yrs with the same gas in it.
Ive used Stabil for years in lawn and garden equipment, cars/trucks/bikes and even marine applications and have never had the problem you had with smoking.

Sure, a lot of times it will still run without the gas being treated however, why contaminate the ENTIRE fuel system if there is no need to? Gas stabilizers regardless of brand tend to be pretty cheap, seems stupid to not have that piece of mind that your not in for a more expensive fix later. With MOST pump gas anymore it has a percentage of ethanol in it. Ethanol is not too nice to fuel systems overtime especially slightly older ones.
87LX306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
My olds sat in storage for 10 years without starting it. Put a new battery in,a little gas in the carb and she popped right off. No smoking or idle issues. Then shipped her off via semi to Illinois for her new home with my best friend.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Sta-bil in the gas tank A must.
No Jack stands
I would say about 40 PSI in all for tires
A battery tender that maintains the charge

Other things to do
Throw some moth balls under the car,
Cover the exhaust tips,
Put a can of sta-dry inside of the car.

Very Important.
Do not start the engine until next spring.
Just let it sit. Starting the engine will only cause problems so just don't do it.

If you have a car cover "Use It"

Ronnie
Why would you not start the engine till spring? I would think starting it and letting run for five minutes or so once a week would be better than not starting it at all over 3 months?! The reason I ask is because my car is being stored in a heated garage, my first time storing a vehicle, and I will add stabilizer to the fuel, but I would imagine letting it run say once a week for a little bit would be more beneficial than sitting till mid march?
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It is really bad

Unless you are going to run around the neighborhood until the engine get to operating temperature do not do it. Just starting it and letting it idle is not a good thing.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Unless you are going to run around the neighborhood until the engine get to operating temperature do not do it. Just starting it and letting it idle is not a good thing.
Ok, but what's the reasoning? I'm not opposed to your theory and will do what ever will be better for my ride but I need some kind of evidence that its not good, or not beneficial to start it once a week. Remember it will be in my heated garage and not in the cold.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Sta-bil in the gas tank A must. No Jack stands I would say about 40 PSI in all for tires A battery tender that maintains the charge Other things to do Throw some moth balls under the car, Cover the exhaust tips, Put a can of sta-dry inside of the car. Very Important. Do not start the engine until next spring. Just let it sit. Starting the engine will only cause problems so just don't do it. If you have a car cover "Use It" Ronnie
+1
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I did everything on here and took the battery out . Can someone answer the question of whether the battery being out is bad ?
Scottad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi FastFord13

1--- Every time you start your engine cold it will produce slight wear until the oil gets flowing.

2---- If you do not get the oil up to proper operating temperature it will not flow properly and any contaminants will not burn off. They will build up in your oil.

3---- The moisture in the exhaust system will not only "NOT" burn off but more moisture will build up.

4--- Big reason is:You do not need to

Ronnie
Old 12-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

the new cars are a different breed I read no jack stands the stay-bil has been around I remember guys with boats big gas tanks maybe 30 plus gallons in 2 tanks , one guy left a boat for about 3 years which is a long time he got sick or something the boat was sold I was there when the new owner fired it over started up after some gas down the carb purred away he kept it for a few years & it was a beauty the stuff works they also have new stuff because the gas has changed , I was surprised about no jacking up the body something to do with the different springs & body how its mounted ? I never listened when I was younger but cars were lots different , they even sell an item with a 9 volt battery for swapping out a battery you just plug it into the cigarette lighter & it will keep the codes while you do the swap , gas stations that didn't keep up with the modern stuff folded up & went out of business even mounting of tires & other items are all together different the rug under the tires & pumping up the tires made sense when I thought about it , I also give them a good coating of that armoral type protector the moth balls & desicant bags are also good of course if we were all like Jay Leno he has a whole crew who pampers all his machines while they sleep ! yep being rich has some advantages unless your like Fidel Bloomy he only has 2 pairs of shoes he gets them soled & heeled every 5 years ! I read it honest ! it never mentioned if he even owned a car ......... takes all kinds ?????????
Old 12-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You sure are right jon paris

The new cars with fuel injectors and computers are a lot different then the good old days.
I always put my sta-bil in a few days before storing and ran the car so the sta-bil coated the injectors ( Did the same in the old days to have sta-bil in the carb.)

I always changed the oil before storing for a long time. Again when un-storing.

The best thing for me now is "FLORIDA" so no more storing anything.
Ronnie
Old 12-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Ok, but what's the reasoning? I'm not opposed to your theory and will do what ever will be better for my ride but I need some kind of evidence that its not good, or not beneficial to start it once a week. Remember it will be in my heated garage and not in the cold.
Ronnie is right, leave her til spring. Letting it idle will be bad for it cuz the motor wont reach operating temps, i wouldnt recommend starting it unless you can take it for a drive. All you'll be doin is creating sludge in your motor and more moisture in your fuel. Leavin it sit til spring will be less harmful on your motor.
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
1--- Every time you start your engine cold it will produce slight wear until the oil gets flowing.

2---- If you do not get the oil up to proper operating temperature it will not flow properly and any contaminants will not burn off. They will build up in your oil.

3---- The moisture in the exhaust system will not only "NOT" burn off but more moisture will build up.

4--- Big reason is:You do not need to

Ronnie
Ok, so I'll remove the battery this weekend and let her sit till mid march. One more question for you, it has now started snowing up here and my garage is heated and shouldnt go below freezing BUT my fuel level is low. The little fuel that's left is shell 91 ethonal free but low nevertheless. It might become a challenge to actually fill her up and add fuel stabilizer because it has a storage plate on her right now. What should I do? Thanks for your help btw.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey Fast

I would not disconnect the battery. I would go to Walmart or Auto zone or anyplace that sells auto stuff and get a battery tender type charger that will maintain the battery and shuts down when the battery is full and trickle charges when needed. I don't think you want to disconnect it because of the on board computers.
You can still put Sta-Bil in to your tank if you want to. I'm not sure but I do believe our Mustangs have a gas tank made out of some sort of plastic. ( Maybe someone knows for sure) If so I don't think rust will be a problem.

The Battery tenders type trickle chargers are not expensive at all. Shari paid $14.99 for hers at Walmart for her 66 Vert. She just plugs it in when she parks and always has a full charge if she does not use the car for a month or two.

Does anybody have an opinion on if the computers would be OK if no power for a few months?
Ronnie
Old 12-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #20
Admin

Supporter
Admin

And if you doubt Ronnies expertice on this subject, simply Google "how to store a car". You will find his advice is spot on.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would not disconnect the battery. I would go to Walmart or Auto zone or anyplace that sells auto stuff and get a battery tender type charger that will maintain the battery and shuts down when the battery is full and trickle charges when needed. I don't think you want to disconnect it because of the on board computers.
You can still put Sta-Bil in to your tank if you want to. I'm not sure but I do believe our Mustangs have a gas tank made out of some sort of plastic. ( Maybe someone knows for sure) If so I don't think rust will be a problem.

The Battery tenders type trickle chargers are not expensive at all. Shari paid $14.99 for hers at Walmart for her 66 Vert. She just plugs it in when she parks and always has a full charge if she does not use the car for a month or two.

Does anybody have an opinion on if the computers would be OK if no power for a few months?
Ronnie
Ok, I'll check at Walmart for both this week. So you think low fuel won't be an issue come spring?
Old 12-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #22
Admin

Supporter
Admin

How warm is the space where the car will be stored? If the space gets cold, then warm, then cold (cycle), it could cause moisture to build in the gas tank, and dilute the fuel.

I always kept my tank full in the winter time to prevent this, but I was always driving the car daily. This link mentions keeping it full if storing for the winter:

AutoTraderClassics.com - Article How To Store Your Car for Winter

However, it refers to the gas tank being a steel unit. Ours are plastic. But they still could allow condinsation to develop if the space the car is in has fluxuating climates. This is where the sta-bil helps out though.

My thought: I'd fill the tank with premium fuel, add the required sta-bil amount, and have one less worry about the fuel system in the spring.

Or, feel free to send me your GT, Boss, or Shelby. I'm in sunny Florida. I'll wash it weekly, and make sure the car does not become stagnent for you during the winter.

Ronnie, want to help me out with this?
Old 12-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Yes, I'll help out because I'm a nice guy.

Of course they should also send their gas credit card along with the Shelby or GT-500 or GT.
Bucko, You have a very good idea to help out our fellow Mustang owners.
Ronnie
Old 12-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I put 100 octane fuel in, with fuel stabilizer (since the 100 still had approx 2-5% ethanol). Then I washed it, and put it up on jack stands. Also, I put arm and hammer boxes inside the car and a battery tender on.

Hopefully no issues, since this is the first time storing a vehicle. But from my research, this stuff was recommended.
GT500 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #25
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Read this from a Google search:

"If your car will be in storage for more than 30 days, consider taking the wheels off and placing the car on jack stands at all four corners. This step requires more work, but it can save you from needing a new set of tires. Without the weight of a vehicle resting upon them, your tires will be in much better shape when you return"
Old 12-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Trickle charger

Not fond of long term use of trickle chargers. Have seen fires on commercial vehicles when they are continuously used.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
How warm is the space where the car will be stored? If the space gets cold, then warm, then cold (cycle), it could cause moisture to build in the gas tank, and dilute the fuel.

I always kept my tank full in the winter time to prevent this, but I was always driving the car daily. This link mentions keeping it full if storing for the winter:

AutoTraderClassics.com - Article How To Store Your Car for Winter

However, it refers to the gas tank being a steel unit. Ours are plastic. But they still could allow condinsation to develop if the space the car is in has fluxuating climates. This is where the sta-bil helps out though.

My thought: I'd fill the tank with premium fuel, add the required sta-bil amount, and have one less worry about the fuel system in the spring.

Or, feel free to send me your GT, Boss, or Shelby. I'm in sunny Florida. I'll wash it weekly, and make sure the car does not become stagnent for you during the winter.

Ronnie, want to help me out with this?
It should be a consistent 14° ish degrees
Old 12-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Deep impact

PLEASE NOTE
NOT A TRICKLE CHARGER

A Battery tender is the best but there are other company's that make maintainers that keep the battery up and shut off and on when necessary.

You can't just leave a battery connected to a trickle charger because it will overcharge a battery and can cause a fire.

I have never ever heard of a failure with a genuine battery tender. When I sold Motorcycle ( Harley) parts I think we sold at least 10,000 or more over the 27 years I worked there. Never a problem at all.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000657791

Ronnie
Old 12-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I guess I've been doing it wrong for 35yrs. Decon year round and a battery tender is all I've ever used in Indiana, and have never had a problem. Who says you can't teach an old Dawg new tricks.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I stand corrected, your right I keep thinking trickle charger but the battery tenders do shut down. Therefore a fire would be averted.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:08 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Sea foam is another fuel stabilizer. Use it in my motorcycles. Weed wacker had old premix and wouldn't start added sea foam and it fired up after a few pulls
jomcgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Sea Foam is a great product

It is good for the intended use it is designed for. Cleaning the sludge out of an engine.
Sta-Bil will not clean your engine but it will keep stored gas stabalized in long term storage.
I may be stupid but I always just purchase an item to be used for it's intended puropse. I'm spending $$$$ anyway so I try to buy the proper stuff.
Ronnie
Old 12-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Since it is advertised as a fuel stabilizer plus fights moisture it'll work for storage purposes as well.
From Their Website..............

"Sea Foam® Motor Treatment is a unique 100% pure petroleum oil product, developed to solve specific problems that are common to gasoline, gas/oil mixed fuels & diesel fuels used in all types and styles of 2 cycle, 4 cycle, diesel and Rotary (Wankel type) engines in common use in all automotive, truck, fleet, industrial, agricultural, specialty industries and small engine applications.
When Sea Foam® Motor Treatment is added at 1 ounce per gallon to commonly available 10% & 15 % blended Ethanol fuels as recommended, Sea Foam®:

Adds lubrication for upper cylinders and vital fuel system components
Dries moisture and works as an anti-gel
Cleans fuel system residue
Stabilizes fuel for up to 2 years or more
Cleans carbon deposits from pistons, heads & valves as the engine is run"
jomcgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

they made lots of stuff to add to the oil , back in the day the only stuff I would add was Risolene the old timers swore by it so I used it ' that was about the only stuff I trusted , there were tricks they did when storing engines but that required taking out sparkplugs & adding a few squirts in the cylinder & spinning the motor & putting the spark plugs in hand tight & spinning the motor when removed, on the day you were going to start it , today I wouldn't try some of those tricks but those were different times with simple engines , today the worse thing I see is timing belts you have to change the Jap cars started that nonsense besides I never like front wheel drive I know they better in the snow but the old VW's went like jeeps in the snow they had no rubber belts ? I liked those VW's but no heat no defrost so there is always a catch but they had some advantages they made great beach buggys I had one we took off the fenders & man they flew over the sand dunes , oh yeah Merry Christmas boys
Old 12-11-2013, 06:01 AM   #35
Admin

Supporter
Admin

...."oh yeah Merry Christmas boys"

Boys??? Back where I came from, boys were wide across the eyes as most are across their shoulders.

Only manly men and georgous ladies on this site.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang