Constant chirping noise from right rear on 2013 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Angry Constant chirping noise from right rear on 2013

No, not a chirp from a burnout. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the issue w/ a constant chirp noise coming from right rear? Brake dust? Driving me nuts and car has 30,000 on it. Appreciate any suggestions. Dealer shaved rotors but still have problem and want it fixed before warranty runs out.

Thanks
13BlackStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
I would just keep bring it in as much as you can until they get it fixed before your warranty runs out.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Put your mother-in-law in the trunk, that should get rid of the chirping or quiet it down.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Put your mother-in-law in the trunk, that should get rid of the chirping or quiet it down.
LMAO!
CandyRed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I already tried that! Wife won't speak to me!lol
Old 12-15-2013, 02:05 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
This happened when I drifted into a buried curb last winter, turned out I bent the axle and since the brake rotor bolts the axle it would constantly squeak, have them check the runout on the axle face plate
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_stang View Post
This happened when I drifted into a buried curb last winter, turned out I bent the axle and since the brake rotor bolts the axle it would constantly squeak, have them check the runout on the axle face plate

Ouch!

Did that in my old 98 and absolutely ****** the rim lol
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. I'll plan to have them check that out.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post

Ouch!

Did that in my old 98 and absolutely ****** the rim lol
Yea my rim was completely ruined, somehow it held air though haha, and they were steel winter rims so it only cost $98 to replace, the axle on the other hand was a good $300
Old 12-16-2013, 05:24 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Daaaaaamn lol good ol rear wheel. Had a scare in my '14 in the rain not long after i got her. I prob woulda jumped off the CN tower if i hurt her tho haha. My rim held air too! I had stock alloys tho, the ugly *** 3 spoke ones so it took a few months to find a replacement. 60 bones at a scrapyard
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I have a speed sensitive chirp from left rear...1st time I took it in dealer lubed caliper pins and pad backs. 2nd time I did it myself...the time I did it myself I measured runout and on noist side had .010" (compared to .002") the 1st time it came back after 1-2K miles if it comes back after I get it out of storage (low mileage toy) I plan on trying for a new axle. I've seen a few posters with bent from foctory axles....good luck

mine did stop with a light application of brake, and it seemed worse with a left hand turn
Old 12-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. Yes, when I turn left it is more prevalent. Dealer fixed issues, but came back a month later. I haven't hit any curbs, or had wheel damage, but then again who knows what my wife has done when she's had it out!
Old 12-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Insist on taking the service advisor for a test ride with you so you can demonstrate the noise.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I did last time (month ago). Maybe it's a bent axle? Thanks for the advice. Noise just drives me nuts!
Old 12-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

It would drive me nuts as well! If this is the second or third time it's been in for the same fault, perhaps mentioning "lemon law" to the service advisor might get more of their attention.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Are you living up north? My 2012 makes a chirp from the rear when it gets really cold out, like below 20F. Goes away again when it's a bit warmer.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, up in Toledo,OH but this happened during the summer months also.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #18
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Does this happen when you apply the brakes or slow rolling?
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Doesn't matter if brakes are applied or not. When turning left it's much more constant.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Mine does this only when my brakes are very lightly applied or when i go over a bumpy road. It's done this since I've had it, took it in and they said everything looked ok..but i highly doubt they drove it to hear it. It has seemed to get louder now and i'm about to take it back in..a brand new car with 16k miles should not have these kind of noises
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #21
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Impact View Post
Mine does this only when my brakes are very lightly applied or when i go over a bumpy road. It's done this since I've had it, took it in and they said everything looked ok..but i highly doubt they drove it to hear it. It has seemed to get louder now and i'm about to take it back in..a brand new car with 16k miles should not have these kind of noises
I agree. Have the service advisor, or one of the mechanics go with you on a test drive so they can hear it first hand. Insist on this test drive. Make sure you are driving so they can concentrate on hearing the noise.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I said the same thing. Like I said before, they fixed it for a month but now it's back. With 31,000 it needs to be fixed for good before the 36,000 mark.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
It sounds like a suspension binding issue. They should check out all of the bushings in the LCAs and UCA, plus the sway bar and pan hard bar. They should also lubricate them. When the bushings bind, they will creak when they do let go.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

One of the dealerships I took it to replaced the sway bar last yr.
The second dealership Took care of the problem for a month but didn't give me any paperwork on the work done. I'm taking it back and will request a work summary.

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

Thanks again. I'm collecting all of these notes from you guys so I can be a little more educated when I talk to them.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe I missed this but is the squeaking rhythmic and increase with speed (like it squeaks with each wheel rotation) or is it related to how rough the road surface is or just random. (Sorry if you already answered this.)
CandyRed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Either 20 mph or 50. More prominent when turning or bearing left. Doesn't matter if smooth road surface or not. Seems like if I turn left more weight is on the outside wheels causing the chirp.

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Even if I'm driving straight and turn the wheel left really quickly it'll chirp.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BlackStang View Post
Either 20 mph or 50. More prominent when turning or bearing left. Doesn't matter if smooth road surface or not. Seems like if I turn left more weight is on the outside wheels causing the chirp.

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Even if I'm driving straight and turn the wheel left really quickly it'll chirp.
This Might sound strange but I have the same problem on a 94 GT. It's been driving me nuts. I would imagine the rear end setup is different on a 2013 compared to a 94. When I bear around a corner to the left it chirps. I've been under the car several times, however I'm limited to what I can do, really I need a lift. I'm about to take it to the local shop with a lift. If I cannot figure it out. God it drives me nuts. I don't really drive it in the winter but the weather here has been decent so I sneaked it out a few times recently. I'm not sure with the year diffrence if the problem could be the same thing on the right rear, If you figure it out please post it here for informational purposes. I would be very interested to know exactly what your problem is. With a google search it turned up your thread, it was the closest description I could find that seemed like my problem. It's kinda funny too, my car being a 94 only has 44 thousand miles on it
94YellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:02 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
My 04 does the same thing. It sounds like a small bird chirping. I think it's with the suspension somewhere. Please let me know if you figure it out. It's driving me nuts lol
Bgr8609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I'll keep you posted after I take it back in on the specifics.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #30
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I'd think that should this continue to chirp after the 36K coverage expires, it would still be covered, as you have broight it to the dealer a few times to get it corrected. It's on record. Lets just hope it gets resolved for good this time!
Old 12-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I'd think that should this continue to chirp after the 36K coverage expires, it would still be covered, as you have broight it to the dealer a few times to get it corrected. It's on record. Lets just hope it gets resolved for good this time!
Wouldn't that be covered under the 60k drivetrain coverage, or would that just be engine and tranny?
Old 01-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Chirping noise is fixed!!
Here's the work order:
Disassembled rear brakes, cleaned and lubed components. Swapped wheels, rotors, caliper brackets and brake pads from side to side. Rechecked, noise gone at this time.

I hope it's fixed for good!
Old 02-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BlackStang View Post
Chirping noise is fixed!!
Here's the work order:
Disassembled rear brakes, cleaned and lubed components. Swapped wheels, rotors, caliper brackets and brake pads from side to side. Rechecked, noise gone at this time.

I hope it's fixed for good!
Im finally getting a chance to take mine in on thursday for this mysterious chirping. Im going to show them this thread and homefully this will be the fix for myself as well. Has the noise came back since it has been fixed?
2013 DIB 3.7-Pypes Pype Bomb black axlebacks, BBK shorty headers, Bama & MPT tunes, Steeda Ultralite Springs, J&M steel adj. panhard, Roush hood scoop, Street scene Gen 2 chin spoiler painted to match, Custom billet grille, painted side mirror covers, 20" gloss black AMR wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos.

Follow me on instagram @that_deep_impact
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Nope! Finally gone! Like I had mentioned before they lubed everything up and swapped parts from left to right. Sounds crazy but everything worked out.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #35
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Mine went away for 1-2k miles after lubing it. It's sleeping for the winter but I think it will come back. If it does I'll go to my dealer with the run out numbers. I'm going to say it's only covered for 36K miles but idk what Ford wrote in the owners manual.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang