How does the ghost cam and cats work? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
How does the ghost cam and cats work?

I've been wanting to use my ghost cam tune on my car lately but I've heard rumors that it's unsafe for your cats torun it on a DD. can anyone shed some light on this?
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Do you even hear it very well with cats? I heard it work best with no cats, one because it sounds better but I'm not sure how it would harm your cats
Old 12-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post
Do you even hear it very well with cats? I heard it work best with no cats, one because it sounds better but I'm not sure how it would harm your cats
oh yeah there is a significant difference especially with full exhaust. I get compliments a lot but I keep switching it off cause people keep telling me it's bad for a DD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
oh yeah there is a significant difference especially with full exhaust. I get compliments a lot but I keep switching it off cause people keep telling me it's bad for a DD
Really that's good, thanks for the information. Do you have high flow cats?
Old 12-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Ghost cam runs rich at idle, so it can foul the cats. Automatics are worse than manuals from what I have read also.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I do have high flow cats. so what are te consequences of running it all the time?
Old 12-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've been wanting to use my ghost cam tune on my car lately but I've heard rumors that it's unsafe for your cats torun it on a DD. can anyone shed some light on this?
My 3.7 has high flow cats and ghost cams MPT adds a safety mechanism that shuts off the ghost cam idle if the cats get too hot look up my videos up on utube

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Mine is auto too btw
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I've seen your exhaust videos bro. badass mustang. so I can run it as a DD with no issue?
Old 12-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
And what about if I have shorties and just axle backs? Stock mid pipe? I want a stage 2-3 for show purposes only.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Dont know much abt the ghost tune but i read somewhere in the forum that theres a lot of unburnt fuel leftover. Cant see it being good for cats either.

I gotta say tho, the concept of the ghost tune is bad as F.
Id rock it if ford would let me.
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
And what about if I have shorties and just axle backs? Stock mid pipe? I want a stage 2-3 for show purposes only.
it will work with anything but full exhaust is recommended. if you have an auto you can go as high as stage 2. the only thing that ghost can does is it will make the car jolt forward. you get used to it but it gets dangerous at first.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
I do have high flow cats. so what are te consequences of running it all the time?
Because you are putting raw fuel into the cats with the ghost cam tune it will foul out and plug up the cats after awhile. Plugged cats are not good - simple thing with loss of MPG is one thing, but with plugged cats your overall performance suffers and the back pressure can build enough to damage valves.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've seen your exhaust videos bro. badass mustang. so I can run it as a DD with no issue?
Make it a stage 2 max not 3 bro for a DD unless its a manual
Old 12-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Because you are putting raw fuel into the cats with the ghost cam tune it will foul out and plug up the cats after awhile. Plugged cats are not good - simple thing with loss of MPG is one thing, but with plugged cats your overall performance suffers and the back pressure can build enough to damage valves.

So show purpose only and stage one for someone who has an auto and stock mid pipe? Cause that parade in and that show is what my car is all about lol
Old 12-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

so after having the ghost cam tune on for a week I'm starting to smell gas as if I don't have any cats. is this normal?
Old 12-23-2013, 02:03 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
so after having the ghost cam tune on for a week I'm starting to smell gas as if I don't have any cats. is this normal?
Wellllll it is dumping extra gas so thats expected bro. Dont worry they have a failsafe so if the cats get too hot it shuts off the lope idle and goes into normal idle to preserve ur cats

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I e-mailed mpt once about it and they said their tune had a safety feature for cars with cats
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
I e-mailed mpt once about it and they said their tune had a safety feature for cars with cats
Ive said that like 2 or 3 times -_-

Old 12-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #19
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

And now, they listen to ya Charlie!
Old 12-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
And now, they listen to ya Charlie!
FINALY! ive had personal experience with this tune.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I have the tune too, the explanation from Mike at MPT regarding the safeguard feature is not his tune but the stock setup. The car will inject more fuel in order to cool the cats if they get too hot. It will also if you have an auto break the lope idle and idle normally this is also to protect the system, almost like shutting that ghost cam off so to speak. During extended idle.

I have run the ghost cam it has a very mean sound, killer idle however on my AT it was a pain because it is really only good if your out of gear at a stop which is easy for MTs. However I would not run it full time anyway because if you run too rich with the system cooling down the cats.

I still would not run it at idle too long either way regardless of the safety feature as the ceramic core cats cannot handle it long term like metal core (FI friendly cats) can. And running no cats which is preferred is so gassy smelling (I have both stock and BBK off road pipes) that with my top down I almost passed out.

Around town and general driving ok, stop and go traffic I would skip. Warming your car up for 10 minutes skip, etc. you get the point.
3.7Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

No one listens to Charlie
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I gotta reload the ghost cam to see how it sounds with my new exhaust setup. =) its been too long.
16 Mustang Ecoboost Prem Fast Back | 2.3L | 3.55 gears | 201A Package | 20" Foundry Wheels P265/35R20 Continental DWS tires | Interior Trim package | Shaker Audio with SYNC 3 | Redline Elite Hood Struts | Mishimoto catch can | Mishimoto Intercooler(Black) | TS Vee port supersonic BOV | Tune+ tuning | Driveshaft Shop aluminum DS | Map big turbo kit | AEM Meth injection w/Mishimoto charge pipe and bung | http://www.youtube.com/user/eclypse3d
Old 12-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
No one listens to Charlie
I know

Old 12-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I know

Don't worry no one listens to me either :/ I say FCK em all !
Old 12-29-2013, 03:16 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Couple of small video clips with my current exhaust setup running MPT 93P Ghost cam tune its dark cause it was 3 am =)

Outside car idle

Inside cabin car idle

16 Mustang Ecoboost Prem Fast Back | 2.3L | 3.55 gears | 201A Package | 20" Foundry Wheels P265/35R20 Continental DWS tires | Interior Trim package | Shaker Audio with SYNC 3 | Redline Elite Hood Struts | Mishimoto catch can | Mishimoto Intercooler(Black) | TS Vee port supersonic BOV | Tune+ tuning | Driveshaft Shop aluminum DS | Map big turbo kit | AEM Meth injection w/Mishimoto charge pipe and bung | http://www.youtube.com/user/eclypse3d
Old 12-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7Cyclone View Post
I gotta reload the ghost cam to see how it sounds with my new exhaust setup. =) its been too long.
<bow> Sorry OP for the thread hijack, but needed to know</bow>

Hi Cyclone, how long have you had the BBK Shorties? I want to put the BBK shorties on, but worry about header leaks. Back in the 70s every one of my cars I put headers on later became Engine Tickers due to header to gasket to head leaks. Drove me nuts with a nice looking car sounding like bad lifters. Is that a thing of the past now with new technology?

Also just what is it going to take for your January 2014 Auto to Manual conversion? I was later sorry about choosing the Auto after I drove a few friends manuals.

Admin, can you move this post to a thread that is titled question on BBK Headers?

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
<bow> Sorry OP for the thread hijack, but needed to know</bow>

Hi Cyclone, how long have you had the BBK Shorties? I want to put the BBK shorties on, but worry about header leaks. Back in the 70s every one of my cars I put headers on later became Engine Tickers due to header to gasket to head leaks. Drove me nuts with a nice looking car sounding like bad lifters. Is that a thing of the past now with new technology?

Also just what is it going to take for your January 2014 Auto to Manual conversion? I was later sorry about choosing the Auto after I drove a few friends manuals.

Admin, can you move this post to a thread that is titled question on BBK Headers?

Art
Two part thread high jacking in progress call the authorities!!

I have had the headers for about 5 months or so no leaks using the gaskets supplied they are a little bit thicker than the stock gaskets but no leaks.

I purchased a very low mileage MT-82 from another forum member on another board (2500 miles). Out of a 2013 base coupe. I got pretty much the entire setup sans PCM though.

The MT conversion is very straight forward as you reuse your Starter, engine plate, DS, and tranny mount. Ford did a good job ensuring a cost effective way to equip these by using same parts.

I got the Tranny, flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, slave cylinder, shifter, rear bracket, brake reservoir (needed for the hydraulic master clutch cylinder), pedals with clutch cylinder and hoses, and clutch pedal switches, shift boot and knob and sound deadening insulation, complete upper wire harness which has sensors and controls on the transmission and provides battery power to the car, and pcm etc, and the hydraulic line from the master to slave cylinder, and jumper harness for the CPP sensor and cruise control cutoff. All nuts and bolts etc came with it from the doner car.

Items I needed to get myself was a PCM from a similar base V6 mustang preferably from the same build date which I got. Fluid etc. New fluid for the trans, Shifter and two post rear braket (which I bought already to fix the MT82s already well know shift issues) Pilot bearing for the crank shaft as our ATs do not have one. Brake fluid.

It is about a 14 hour job. Just have to remove the starter, DS, trans mount, trans cooler and lines, wire harness, vacuum line, plug the CAI vacuum port (not needed for MT), remove the 6R80 AT trans and flexplate, and pedals, remove the brake reservoir.

Then I have to installed the wire harness, PCM, Brake reservoir, pedals, I have to run the CPP and cruise control cutoff jumper harness from the clutch pedal to the hidden connector that is taped up under the dash. (This is on all mustangs the harness is already there but not in use on the autos.) run the hydraulic hose from the reservoir to master clutch cylinder, install the pilot bearing, flywheel, install new shifter and clean fluid, Clutch, MT-82 transmission, run the hydraulic line from master to slave cyl, starter, trans mount, rear two post trans shifter bracket, DS. I have to plug in the new harness into the MT sensors and skip shift solenoid and O2 Sensors. I also have to refill the brake reservoir and bleed the clutch (just pump the clutch pedal about 100 times). Should bleed the brakes then too.

Finally after everything is buttoned up, I have to initialize the new PCM and upload the PCM strategy, vehicle info (Vin, mileage, trans type) and as built data. Then Program PATS for my keys so the car will start.

After that its pretty much, make sure it starts and does not throw codes, make sure the reverse light works, brakes and clutch operate and of course the car goes forward and backwards. Then throw my custom tune on there and off we go. Drive it check fluid levels etc.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7Cyclone View Post

Two part thread high jacking in progress call the authorities!!

I have had the headers for about 5 months or so no leaks using the gaskets supplied they are a little bit thicker than the stock gaskets but no leaks.

I purchased a very low mileage MT-82 from another forum member on another board (2500 miles). Out of a 2013 base coupe. I got pretty much the entire setup sans PCM though.

The MT conversion is very straight forward as you reuse your Starter, engine plate, DS, and tranny mount. Ford did a good job ensuring a cost effective way to equip these by using same parts.

I got the Tranny, flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, slave cylinder, shifter, rear bracket, brake reservoir (needed for the hydraulic master clutch cylinder, pedals with clutch cylinder and hoses, and clutch pedal switches, shift boot and knob, complete upper wire harness which has sensors and controls on the transmission and provides battery power to the car, and pcm etc, and the hydraulic line from the master to slave cylinder, and jumper harness for the CPP sensor and cruise control cutoff. All nuts and bolts etc came with it from the doner car.

Items I needed to get myself was a PCM from a similar base V6 mustang preferably from the same build date which I got. Fluid etc. New fluid for the trans, Shifter and two post rear braket (which I bought already to fix the MT82s already well know shift issues) Pilot bearing for the crank shaft as our ATs do not have one. Brake fluid.

It is about a 14 hour job. Just have to remove the starter, DS, trans mount, trans cooler and lines, wire harness, vacuum line, plug the CAI vacuum port (not needed for MT), remove the 6R80 AT trans and flexplate, and pedals, remove the brake reservoir.

Then I have to installed the wire harness, PCM, Brake reservoir, pedals, I have to run the CPP and cruise control cutoff jumper harness from the clutch pedal to the hidden connector that is taped up under the dash. (This is on all mustangs the harness is already there but not in use on the autos.) run the hydraulic hose from the reservoir to master clutch cylinder, install the pilot bearing, flywheel, install new shifter and clean fluid, Clutch, MT-82 transmission, run the hydraulic line from master to slave cyl, starter, trans mount, rear two post trans shifter bracket, DS. I have to plug in the new harness into the MT sensors and skip shift solenoid. I also have to refill the brake reservoir and bleed the clutch (just pump the clutch pedal about 100 times). Should bleed the brakes then too.

Finally after everything is buttoned up, I have to initialize the new PCM and upload the PCM strategy, vehicle info (Vin, mileage, trans type) and as built data. Then Program PATS for my keys so the car will start.

After that its pretty much, make sure it starts and does not throw codes, make sure the reverse light works, brakes and clutch operate and of course the car goes forward and backwards. Then throw my custom tune on there and off we go. Drive it check fluid levels etc.
Why go through all that to put a crappy trans in your car? Why not install a Tremec xl in it?
Old 12-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
Why go through all that to put a crappy trans in your car? Why not install a Tremec xl in it?
Well one thing the T56 Magnum is not all that much better, just check out the some of the Boss or shelby forums who either got it stock or swapped. It is better in some areas such as it does not suffer the missed or stuck shift issues (Mainly because it does not have a remote shifter. ), but they do have lockout issues (reverse gear issues were reported in LS1 owners and Fords) , and some had popping out of gear and being noisy, It is also a notchy shifting transmission more so than the MT-82. (I believe the TR6060 is the Ford equivalent to the T56 but I do not know if its just by name or if they did anything with it compared to the retail model)

Also personal preference I prefer Getrag over Tremec.

Also it is more expensive and requires a different transmission mount.

Lastly Cost and value. If you drove the Auto for 2011 it is a rugged, reliable transmission but it wears on you after awhile trying to dial in the shifts etc with tuners. I would prefer any MT transmission over the 6R80 just for usefulness. And I got the entire unit etc for $1500+shipping. A T56-Magnum conversion kit is over $4000 (not including pedals, pilot bearing, etc.) and I just put over $12k in my car this past year. I am trying to stay under budget this year.

The missed shifts are easy fix on the MT82 just by stiffening up the shifter assembly and rear bracket, and use the correct viscosity fluid.

I am glad you did not ask "why did you not just trade your car in for a standard" that question was getting old =)
Old 12-30-2013, 12:15 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I admit, stock, Tremecs don't shift as smooth as the MT82, but they are infinitely better transmissions.

They are built for over 700lb ft from the factory, with a good shifter are as smooth as the MT82 except with a more solid, mechanical feel, have better internal ratios and parts and builders are everywhere.

I would love to be able to swap the built T56 from my Z28 into my Mustang. I would never have anything bad to say about it. As is, the MT82 is a pile of crap, so much so that I will without a doubt, be rid of my 2014 Mustang before the warranty runs out.

One Tremec will likely be cheaper in the long run than what an MT82 will be. I'm with Boss on this one, why go through all the trouble to install such a crap transmission into such an awesome car.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:25 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My bad man I didn't read all the replies haha
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:35 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
I admit, stock, Tremecs don't shift as smooth as the MT82, but they are infinitely better transmissions.

They are built for over 700lb ft from the factory, with a good shifter are as smooth as the MT82 except with a more solid, mechanical feel, have better internal ratios and parts and builders are everywhere.

I would love to be able to swap the built T56 from my Z28 into my Mustang. I would never have anything bad to say about it. As is, the MT82 is a pile of crap, so much so that I will without a doubt, be rid of my 2014 Mustang before the warranty runs out.

One Tremec will likely be cheaper in the long run than what an MT82 will be. I'm with Boss on this one, why go through all the trouble to install such a crap transmission into such an awesome car.
It's a moot point that the T56 can handle 700ft-lbs at the crank, that equates to absolutely no value in a car that is only dropping about 300ft-lbs at the moment and will likely never see more than 350-400 during its life if I even FI it at all. The ratios I am not entirely convinced it is all that better either doesn't it have a 2.66 and 2.97 1st gear ratio? what is the MT82 stock 3.66? I think the only only the Ford variant of the T56 in the Aussie XR6 has a similar first gear. However I 3rd gear in the MT82 is irrelevant. =)

I am trying to keep the drive train as OEM as possible and going to a T56 with its weak syncros and tendency to be noisy under load, topped with notchy shifts or popping out of gear if your hydraulics are even a hair out of spec, is not exactly a good selling point. I think Borg Warner should have never sold that unit off and kept it in house. Being manufactured in Mexico does not offer me much more solace than the MT-82 being assembled in China either.

I get what you are saying and on paper I would say the T56 is better than the MT-82 but if I was to put a Tremec in I would rather take a T55 over the T56-XL and MT-82, sorry its true I think the T55 was a better tranny, and really probably more relevant to the power output. "why use a F350 super duty to haul one loaf of bread in the bed when a geo metro 1.0L can do that?"

However as stated I already bought the other transmission as its a direct factory part, it was cheap, I know its limits and its faults the shifter deflection issue is just not enough of a problem to make the MT-82 a worse choice over the T56 with me and its easily remedied. I know lots of guys in my club that have the MT-82 and no problems at all, and the ones who did have issues did exactly what I did and replaced the weak link. While it does not 100% remove all the play it makes it far greater than factory. I did drive a Boss 302 that a friend of mine has before and after shifter was replaced and it is like night and day with a two post bracket and shifter swap.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:35 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I've have bad experiences with two MT-82s so far. That's why I am biased on the subject. If my new one goes out, I'll either put the Tremec XL in it or convert it to an auto :/ and on the synchro subject, my fifth gear synchro was the problem on my last MT-82.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
MT-82s are hit and miss.

I rarely ever hear t-56 issues.

My buddies t-56 held up quite well on his T/A even thru 3 racing seasons, finally busted 2nd on a hard shift, at the same time he busted his rear end.

My t-56 in my cobra is perfect, never have a problem except in the cold and it's notchy, but most trams are in the cold till they hear up.
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang