2011 V6 Shifting - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #1

Region: Canada
2011 V6 Shifting

Hello,

I'm considering buying a used 2011 V6 but I'm concerned about the shifting.

I live in Canada where it gets cold (-40 at rare times) so I'm concerned about the Chinese clutch/transmission.

Some say that all that needs to be done is to replace the shifter and put in better oil.
But others say there's no fix for the shifting problem.

I'm confused.

What's really concerning is this is a used Stang going for the Black Book value from a Dealer no less...so maybe that's why the first buyer traded it in.
Anyways, It kinda sounds to good to be true so I'm getting warning bells in my head.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I'd hate to have to sit in a cold car in 30 below weather for 20 minutes each winter day.
Dudley Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Sounds like you need to take a test drive in cold weather and see what you think. My 2011 shifts a little "crunchy" in cold weather until it warms up but is certainly functional.
CandyRed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley Canuck View Post
Hello,

I'm considering buying a used 2011 V6 but I'm concerned about the shifting.

I live in Canada where it gets cold (-40 at rare times) so I'm concerned about the Chinese clutch/transmission.

Some say that all that needs to be done is to replace the shifter and put in better oil.
But others say there's no fix for the shifting problem.

I'm confused.

What's really concerning is this is a used Stang going for the Black Book value from a Dealer no less...so maybe that's why the first buyer traded it in.
Anyways, It kinda sounds to good to be true so I'm getting warning bells in my head.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I'd hate to have to sit in a cold car in 30 below weather for 20 minutes each winter day.
I'm from montreal with a 13 manual and I can say in the winter (-10 and colder) it can be a real pain in the *** going into first! I've had the newer OEM transmission fluid in to help it but it doesn't. I've gone to royal purple, not to help with cold shifting but to manage the hot summer traffic temps better, but it also doesn't help the cold shifting. Imo there is no fix for it so its your call. Once it warms up 20 mins or so) its fine but until then its a pain, but under normal driving temps its silky smooth, hardly a deal breaker. Im lucky enough to be able to store my car in a heated garage for the winter now. Just my 2¢
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Old 12-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Id say if the way a car shifts in cold weather is going to make or break if you buy it then your not doing it for the right reasons...every car is going to have some issues for sombody especially in sub-zero climate. The warning belld may be from the pricing. slmost always if it sounds to good to be true...it usually is. Its your choice however
Old 12-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Id say if the way a car shifts in cold weather is going to make or break if you buy it then your not doing it for the right reasons...every car is going to have some issues for sombody especially in sub-zero climate.
+1 Around here come winter there is not one mustang on the road, auto or manual. These beast are really not built for winter driving.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm not so much concerned about a cold stiff shift but a shift that is too hard to shift in winter as I have Arthritis.
My Mazda shift gets sluggish at 30 below until warmed up too but some people in the warmer States are having a problem shifting period.
There's a scary video on Youtube of some guy showing how difficult his Stang was to shift.

FF13, I'm glad you mentioned that there's not many on the road during Canadian winters as I was told it was on clearance because it's a summer car.

I've only ever owned rear wheel drives so I'm not concerned there.

So, no one here has had trouble with the Chinese clutch/transmission?
Old 12-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #8

Region: Tennessee
Why not drive the car when it's cold and see what happens! That's the only way to find out if it has a problem.
trustyrusty436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #9

Yes I will but when I first checked it out it was put in the back and wouldn't start because of the cold weather (we need to plug in a block heater for Canadian winters)
Anyways, to test drive it I'll have to make an appointment for them to get it ready thus I won't really get to experience a cold start.

But what has me really concerned is hearing these Chinese clutches/transmissions can screw up at anytime so I'm hoping someone can chime in on how they solved the problem should it happen.

Thanks for the input TrustyRusty.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:58 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I have a 2014 V6 with the 6 spd. I don't think the car shifts hard enough to cause issues with arthritis. If you are concerned about that, perhaps an automatic would be a better choice. The only cold weather (coldest it's been is -6F) issue I have is that the gears like to grind until everything is up to temp. Once its up to temp, all is well.

The only other issue I have is that under hard acceleration, when shifting aggressively, the clutch pedal will only return from the the floor about an inch or two.

That said, Ford is aware of both issues and according to the Ford engineer I talked to, a solution will be available that will fix the clutch pedal stay out issue and a new additive will for cold shifting/grinding will be out sometime in the next few months.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:37 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Ford issued a TSB on hard shifting in cold weather. Google it.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley Canuck View Post
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm not so much concerned about a cold stiff shift but a shift that is too hard to shift in winter as I have Arthritis.
My Mazda shift gets sluggish at 30 below until warmed up too but some people in the warmer States are having a problem shifting period.
There's a scary video on Youtube of some guy showing how difficult his Stang was to shift.

FF13, I'm glad you mentioned that there's not many on the road during Canadian winters as I was told it was on clearance because it's a summer car.

I've only ever owned rear wheel drives so I'm not concerned there.

So, no one here has had trouble with the Chinese clutch/transmission?
If you want a manual I say go for it! The "cold shifting" is definitely not a deal breaker by any means. As for the clutch I have no complaints, really smooth, zero grinding even under load. Imo for being a "built in China" transmission its very good! Just make sure they have the duel clutch transmission fluid in it that helps the cold shifting. Just ask them if the tsb was done for the transmission fluid change.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
The Getrag is Chinese?

Anyway, I've driven it in ~0F weather, and it's a bit crunchier, but not terribly much so. I wouldn't really notice it if I weren't looking for it.
Can't predict what would happen a -40F though. Brr
kutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #14

Thanks guys!
Your replies have been helpful especially the suggestion of Googling "TSB"
It appears not all 2011's have the problem.

BTW~Standard Or Death!
Old 12-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #15

I just checked out the 2015's...wow!

I love the new shape especially the more classic looking back seat windows.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:34 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
It was -30 today in Fairbanks and my mustang did just fine driving around, like it always does. It's a little stiff to shift when I first start out in the morning, but after 2-3 miles everything works normally, even down to nearly -60 like we got last winter. I actually get more grief from the LSD than anything first thing as the gear oil and clutch packs wake up.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #17

Good to know...thanks Skierd.

I'm sure every clutch is stiff at first in 30 below weather...I know mine is.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2011 v6