Removal of pony on stock grille? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Removal of pony on stock grille?

Is it possible to remove the pony on the grille? If not im going to buy a new grille and I would like to save money if possible
Njd92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njd92 View Post
Is it possible to remove the pony on the grille? If not im going to buy a new grille and I would like to save money if possible

Yeah it's just got little pins and 3m tape. I just pulled mine off and those little pins broke but I still just reattached it with a little silicone after I painted it. The problem is the grill has a hole in it to fit around the pony and a plastic baseplate in the shape of the pony that doesn't come off. So if you're trying to get rid of the pony all together you'll need a new grille
Kylemittelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylemittelman View Post
Yeah it's just got little pins and 3m tape. I just pulled mine off and those little pins broke but I still just reattached it with a little silicone after I painted it. The problem is the grill has a hole in it to fit around the pony and a plastic baseplate in the shape of the pony that doesn't come off. So if you're trying to get rid of the pony all together you'll need a new grille
Yeah I want to get rid of it completely and put a tribar emblem off to the side. Guess I'll be buying a new grille. Thanks for the input
Njd92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
My 2011 has pins and NO double sided tape. Instead, it has 3 alignment pins, and three press on type circular clips that press on over the pins from the backside of the grill. I swear Ford did this to make it darn near impossible to remove the clips and keep you from saving the pins to reuse the emnlem! These press on clips are only accessable from the back side of the grill. Removing the radiator cover shield will not help much. The best way is to remove the upper grill, then you will see these clips. Removing them is a bear...once they are pryed off, they cannot be reused; new ones need to be bought from your hardware store. Be careful when prying them off as to not break or damage the pins.

I'm thinking kylemittelman's pony was removed once before, and the circular clips were tossed, and 2 sided tape was used to hold the pony in place. Or he has a later model than a 2011? I helped a friend replace his 2012 V6 upper grill, and his too used the clips I'm refering to. That's how it shows up in the Ford parts exploded view as well.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
My 2011 has pins and NO double sided tape. Instead, it has 3 alignment pins, and three press on type circular clips that press on over the pins from the backside of the grill. I swear Ford did this to make it darn near impossible to remove the clips and keep you from saving the pins to reuse the emnlem! These press on clips are only accessable from the back side of the grill. Removing the radiator cover shield will not help much. The best way is to remove the upper grill, then you will see these clips. Removing them is a bear...once they are pryed off, they cannot be reused; new ones need to be bought from your hardware store. Be careful when prying them off as to not break or damage the pins.

I'm thinking kylemittelman's pony was removed once before, and the circular clips were tossed, and 2 sided tape was used to hold the pony in place. Or he has a later model than a 2011? I helped a friend replace his 2012 V6 upper grill, and his too used the clips I'm refering to. That's how it shows up in the Ford parts exploded view as well.

Yeah you're probably right. Mines an 08. In my opinion I'd just break the pins and then use silicone to reattach the tribar emblem you want. If you ever wanna remove it you'll be able to peel the silicone then use a razor to clean it up if you no longer want the emblem there. Just break the clips they're annoying and hard to use.
Kylemittelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I just did exactly that this weekend. Purchased and installed the pony delete grille from AM.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/2010-v6-black-grille.html
You have to remove the grille and metallic pony like Bucco explained and then use a Dremel tool to cut the base of the Pony off the grille completely. Finally, you can reattach the grille and mount the new grille overlay over the altered original. As a tip, I also used a tiny bit of Plastidip on the panel of the bumper cover that is normally hidden by the pony. Otherwise the color of your bumper will show through your grille.
CandyRed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njd92 View Post

Leave it on the car so you dont accidentally break it and just plastidip the pony black.
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I got the pony delete overlay a few months ago. I cut out all of the honeycomb that could except for the solid parts near the headlights, it still left enough of the original for the screws to get a good bite. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1387655655.220679.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	142473Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1387655691.372255.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	142474
Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Oh and just some info, but AM now has a black grille for the 2011-2012 v6 stangs, that replaces the stock honeycomb grille… its the 8 bar one just like the overlay… just sayin'

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang