Rear bumper cover replacement - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Rear bumper cover replacement

I feel really freaking stupid right now. I just rolled into my neighbors parked avalanche and destroyed their door however, the mustang stood strong minus a cracked tail light and some scuffs on my rear bumper. Anyways, where is a good place to look for a stock replacement cover online or can a shop smooth out and spot paint the scuffs? I'm kind of leaning towards replacing the cover as I think it'll be the cheapest route since labor prices are crazy high where I'm at in California. I feel like such a gooberClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1387425393.852271.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	142136Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1387425410.996773.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	142137
Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
ebay is the best place to look.
I saw one for sale for like 460 or something like that.
cost me less to repaint mine.

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

and you can find stock tails for around $40 bucks
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I got some tail lights if your interested??
kript2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Even if you can find a new one for $500, you will still have to pay to have it painted. It might be cheaper to fix it. You could also try posting a note over on the Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted part of the forum to see if you get lucky and someone took one off that happens to be your color.
CandyRed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
My son works at a body shop as a painter. It most cases, a plastic type body piece such as the front and rear covers can be costly to repair if they have any rips, tears, or cutout pieces in the plastic. A special type epoxy is used as filler, or in the case of a tear, the piece has to be glued from the back, (they drill holes at both sides of the tear and "bevel" the sides to create a valley to prevent it from spreading), then the epoxy is used to fill in any drilling or valleys done to smooth out the surface for paint. So, all this work is labor time, and that's what can total up.

Your best bet would be to get an estimate from a good body shop that specializes in this type of work, and compare this cost against what a good used one will cost you. When buying used, price counts. Be careful of a used one that has a cheap price; it is most likely containing damage that yours already has. Maybe you'll get lucky and find one thats perfect and in your color.

Also be aware that shipping is high for these pieces as well. Some advertize free shipping; be weary of that too, as they may not wrap and package it up properly, and it could get damaged in shipping. A local yard would be your best bet; you can examine it first hand and save on shipping.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Thanks guys. We have Roush shop here in town that I'm going to check out. Hopefully they have some take offs.
Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang