driveshaft problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
driveshaft problem

when I go 100+ my driveshaft vibrates a little but when I had my car on a lift I noticed some rubbing marks created by the driveshaft against the body. I doubt this is normal. advice anyone?
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Slow down? (sorry, I couldn't help myself)
CandyRed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Has the car been lowered in any way? I'm assuming the rub spots are towards the rear of the driveshaft contacting the body, indicating the rear suspension is bottoming out. If the suspension is stock, I'd start looking at the condition of the rear suspention.

In the mean time, I'd refrain from high speed runs until you get this resolved.
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
A new member in the driveshaft vibration club. Your number 145,233. It's part of the Mustang mystique.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Stock or aftermarket? Also if you are lowered have you upgraded your panhard bar and lined up your rear end?
grabberbluedrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

If you're stock, don't touch anything and just take it to the dealer. Let them figure it out. If it's aftermarket, contact the manufacture and tell them any other mods that you have.
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

everything is aftermarket. I got full suspension lowered 1.5 in and a one piece driveshaft. it's literally making circular marking on the frame of my car.

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

I'll do my best to slow down. lol
Old 12-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

At times you have no choice at all

Wednesday morning I had to go to Orlando VA. on I-4, Traffic in both lanes was running at 90/95 MPH going west at 4:45 AM. I just stayed in the left lane and at times hit 100+ just keeping up. I really don't like going that fast(()) but I sure don't want to cause getting hit from behind by going slower then the traffic flow. At least when I got up to where it stretched out to three lanes the traffic actually slowed down to about 80 MPH and slower in the right lanes. At times you just have to go along with the traffic flow because it is safer then trying to be a safe driver.
It was a strange morning because traffic usually goes about 70/75 on I-4 and usually a lot of trucks. No trucks last Wednesday and traffic was flying. I was happy to get to 417 and drive a lot easier.
The OP really needs to get that driveshaft rubbing problem taken care of in case he ever gets to Florida's I-4 early some morning.

So many cars are going so far over the speed limit here in Florida they are talking about raising the limit on interstate 4 , 95 and 75 to 80 MPH.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

There's your answer; the 1.5 inch lowered suspension. Search here, This has been discussed as to what rearend and driveshaft problems come from this. Some have found they needed an adjustable pan-hard bar when lowering the rear the car.....it allows you to re-center the rear axle under the car. Not saying this is your problem, but you should check to see if the lowering changed the rear axle to be off to the left or right. What side is showing the driveshaft rub?

Or call AM (American Muscle) and explain to them. They will set you up with what you need to buy/do.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

okay. thanks for all your replies!
Old 12-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Wednesday morning I had to go to Orlando VA. on I-4, Traffic in both lanes was running at 90/95 MPH going west at 4:45 AM. I just stayed in the left lane and at times hit 100+ just keeping up. I really don't like going that fast(()) but I sure don't want to cause getting hit from behind by going slower then the traffic flow. At least when I got up to where it stretched out to three lanes the traffic actually slowed down to about 80 MPH and slower in the right lanes. At times you just have to go along with the traffic flow because it is safer then trying to be a safe driver.
It was a strange morning because traffic usually goes about 70/75 on I-4 and usually a lot of trucks. No trucks last Wednesday and traffic was flying. I was happy to get to 417 and drive a lot easier.
The OP really needs to get that driveshaft rubbing problem taken care of in case he ever gets to Florida's I-4 early some morning.

So many cars are going so far over the speed limit here in Florida they are talking about raising the limit on interstate 4 , 95 and 75 to 80 MPH.
Ronnie
I drive this route three times a week Ronnie when I go to Riverview. I'm on I-4 around 3:30 to 4:00 AM. No traffic. I-4 is my oyster. And I usually set the cruise to 80.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I know what your saying

I have been going over for six weeks for my cancer treatment on Wednesday mornings. Traffic usually runs about 70/80 through the construction area at that time and is fairly light.( With some large trucks) I don't mind doing 75 or 80 as long as that is what traffic is running. I don't know what the heck happened last Wednesday but it was really strange. The speed limit there is 60 MPH and most still run 70/75. That's about what I did on my way back home at around 8:30 am. I have never seen any police at all in that construction zone. I guess they have no place to pull a car over anyway. The two lane goes to three lane at route 44 exit. Then I pulled into the center lane and ran a pretty steady 80 until getting off for 417. Even had a lot of traffic on 417 but not running stupid fast at all.
At least I'm done with this round of treatments and don't go over again until January 9th, 2014.
What I meant to say was I left my house at 4:45 so when I got to I-4 it was around 5:am.
I do sometimes get up and go driving that early but I do the back roads and not any interstate s at all. I hardly ever see many people out that early on the back roads. It is a good time to just cruise and listen to the radio and Magnaflow's.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang