ECOboost options - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-20-2013, 02:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
ECOboost options

SO in doing some reading I discover that the 3.5L ecoboost in the F-150 is essentially the same motor as our 3.7L. So I get to thinking then that swapping the twin turbo setup should not only be doable, but cheaper maybe than a procharger(which is where I was leaning)...

The log manifolds the turbos mount on are only like $50 parts from ford, then 20ish bucks a side for gaskets. The turbo's are around $800 each, but you may be able to get a little better (bigger/more efficient etc), for the same or less. I'm leaning towards a pair of Garretts if they fit the manifold and space etc... GT28RS specifically. Each one should be about perfect to handle one half of our V6 and be pretty efficient at it too. They are ideal turbos for 1.8-2.0L 4 cylinders.

So that leaves a set of 50 or 60lb injectors, intercooler, plumbing and hardware, downpipe and rest of exhaust, and associated hardware like oil lines etc.

Just eyeballing my car it seems feasible the turbos would fit on the factory exhaust manifolds so the hardest part is getting a FMIC in the bumper and getting a good shop to bend charge piping and make a pair of downtubes.

Is there anyone that's pulled this off before? I would want to retain the factory cats to maintain legality, that shouldn't be a problem though should it? I would think you could get them put on the exhaust side of the turbos followed by downpipes?
Torch10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I am also rather curious about this.
kutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
very interesting
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Can anyone confirm the turbo manifold will fit the 3.7?
grabberbluedrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabberbluedrew View Post
Can anyone confirm the turbo manifold will fit the 3.7?
According to Super Six Motorsports, they don't.

"As might be expected, the exhaust manifolds are different as well and the EcoBoost exhaust manifolds do not fit on the 3.5/3.7 heads due to the differing bolt patterns."

Found on the bottom of page 2 - http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/_...ne-tech-v2.pdf
Old 12-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Now if someone could fab up a set of turbo manifolds that fit out bolt pattern and fit the ecotech turbos we would have an easy twin turbo option.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:42 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
SOOOOO, I've found out some interesting info about this stuff...
Met a guy last night who builds some badass turbo diesels but also runs some off road trucks. Anyways he's created a frankenstein motor for his baha truck. He basically bought a 2013 mustang v6 and an ecoboost f150 and started mixing and matching.

First off, the most useful piece of info is that the turbo manifolds DO FIT the 3.7 heads. They are just backwards... So to use them you have to flip them upside down and put them on the "wrong" side. not quite sure how this plays out as far as space goes. The way he was describing it he said there is a way to get the turbos mounted where the cats are.

2nd piece of info is that the ecoboost heads will fit on the 3.7 block and you can swap the whole direct injection and everything over... NOW, I will say I'm not sure how feasible this is in a street car. He did this in a truck and I believe just stole the whole wiring harness from an f150. He is making a little over 500 whp with the factory turbos though...

I'm going to visit his shop in the next week or so and talk this out and figure out a way to do a twin turbo setup. I may very well just have him make me a set of one off tubular turbo manifolds but I want to see if there is a cheaper way. I'm not trying to push the limits of performance just yet so I'm looking for just over 400 wheel horse.

I do think however that with a built motor and supporting fuel mods, big enough turbo etc, that you could eke 700+ wheel horse out of these V6's easily. Hell I've seen a stock longblock K20a (2.0 Honda iVTEC), pushing 697 whp...
Torch10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Cool!
Take some pics of his set-up while you're there...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Please get pictures and info! I may have a buddy look into manifolds for me, but this sounds easier!
Old 01-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch10 View Post
I'm going to visit his shop in the next week or so and talk this out and figure out a way to do a twin turbo setup. I may very well just have him make me a set of one off tubular turbo manifolds but I want to see if there is a cheaper way. I'm not trying to push the limits of performance just yet so I'm looking for just over 400 wheel horse.

I do think however that with a built motor and supporting fuel mods, big enough turbo etc, that you could eke 700+ wheel horse out of these V6's easily. Hell I've seen a stock longblock K20a (2.0 Honda iVTEC), pushing 697 whp...
Sounds like it could be a fun read.

As far as 697whp from a stock k20a, I've never heard of that. I used to drive an 05 Si with the K20A3 (the worst one) so I read up on K20's quite a bit.
mkashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Subscribed.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Subscribed.
x2
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Im in

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

A set of forged aftermarket rods and custom forged pistons would also be in order. The piston pins will fail with any serious boost in time. Not designed for boost. Need some serious valve springs too. Powdered metal rods and cast pistons don't go with boost. Sounds like a nice project though if you have an automatic.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Subbed
SouthFLV6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang