Rear window louver? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #36

Region: Maryland
A few beers might help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Mustang Evolution mobile app
blacklightening is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #37

Region: Maryland
Thanks. Nice bottle opener, but no Mustang on it.
blacklightening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #38

Region: California
What type of adhesive promoter are you guys using?
themauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 07:06 AM   #39
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by themauler View Post
What type of adhesive promoter are you guys using?
The stuff from 3M....

3M Automotive Trim & Accessories : 3M™ Automotive Adhesion Promoters

Pads are best for installing. Every body piece I've bought that uses the 3M tape has come with these adhesion pads. Without them, the tape will not adhere very well. With using the adhesion promoter, you may cuse alot if you ever neet to remove an item that used the 3M tape and adhesion promoter!
Old 02-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Well, I am going to Pull The Trigger and drive up and get an MRT Louver so I can rest assured no damage in shipment. Helps I am about an hour away from the Place in Michigan.

Its going to be in about 2 weeks and I can post an unboxing. I plan to use the 3M tape either the pads or promoter directly from 3M, unless the items in the box are marked 3M. (I need to digest Bucko's post some more) Install day may take a few weeks longer, need the weather outside to rise some so I can heat the garage to a nice summer temperature evenly a day before and a few days after the install to let it cure.

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:29 AM   #41

Region: Arizona
Im responding to this thread for future people searching for MRT window louvers. 3M makes a sealer specific for their double sided tape. Its found in the boating section of any walmart. I used this one my.3m keel guard on my boat which is submerged while in the lake. 10 years and still suck like crazy. Id suggest spending the 8 bucks and use it. Easy fix for a dumb problem that mrt should either do themselves or at least recommend it. Motor on!
stangmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:04 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Here is the MRT louver, its now a year later. One side I had the hold down pad off by about 1/8". That caused extra pressure on the pad that lifts the pad off the window. However no rattle at all , even with it pulled up slightly. On a road tract it has gone 110 so far an no noise. It seems the faster you go the more it is pushed into the glass. In a week or two I am removing it and putting it back on 1/8" more to the center to get it correct. I wold say if you put them in the correct spot things will be OK for a very long time. But if your off left or right a tiny amount the hinge hold down will be trying to the pull the top edge of the pad off the window as so I comes up a bit.

I never got to do a thread on installing it, it took about 4 hours after work of me and a friend measuring 25 times then gluing a part. Pizza took about 1 hour of that. It could be done in an hour by someone who has done it before. I left the prop up rods out of the installation, and do not use them. They are a source of rattle if you use them. A carbon arrow shaft props it up just fine or a friend on one side while you clean the other.

Farther down in that lineup is a 71 Mach 1 with a factory louver.

Art
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10628245_764967603539518_6975746394167956439_n.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	177464  
Old 03-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #43

If you dont mind, how much did you end up paying for these? Ive been looking for some used with no luck. I live in lake havasu where summer temps frequent 115 degrees or over. So the abs version are out. I have found a couple in the past but people uusually trash the box therefore shipping is an issue. Let.me.know if you found these for under 5 bills. Thanks!
stangmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:16 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

I paid $425 plus tax as I drove to MRT to buy them and they were on sale.
the box they gave me was very shippable, it had special box side "V" shaped protectors you can bend on the sides.

It looks like the price is $480 now
2005-14 Mustang MRT Aluminum Rear Window Louver
Old 03-16-2015, 07:36 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
My used 2014 came with an ABS one from previous owner. I just removed it by unscrewing the tiny nuts that thread onto those sticky things on the glass. I was surprised how half of them were nearly unglued from the glass. The louver itself ,even plastic, wasn't bad quality or rattled at all, I just wasn't sure I cared for that look. I'm saving it for if I change my mind but I'm going to remove the current sticky things with the threaded bolts and order new ones.
I like how it cut way down on interior light penetration and provides some privacy but also allows visibility from inside out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	177576  
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:22 AM   #46
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
I helped a friend out on his as well. He got the MRT louvers it was a pretty simple install.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:38 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

I think they look pretty cool. Would eventually like to add one. It's nice that MRT website had a view from inside the car. I wondered what visibility was like.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:37 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I have the MRTs installed for 1 year and a half no noise at all must be put on warm I let mine in sun for a day. Used the prop rods no rattle. Aluminum a must MRT the best!!!!
Teak 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:42 AM   #49
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
Anyone have any remedies on how to keep the dang window louver on the rear window the adhesive works like crap but I have no plans on taking it off so I'm going to keep it on there regardless
Either you are not prepping the surface on both the car/glass and louver itself, or you are not using the 3M automotive tape.

I had a set of these on my 2011 Mustang for over a year before they were removed, and it was tough to get them off!

You must use a good prep pad on the surface that the tape is going to be applied to, on both the louver and the vehicle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang