Rear window louver? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Rear window louver?

Anyone have any remedies on how to keep the dang window louver on the rear window the adhesive works like crap but I have no plans on taking it off so I'm going to keep it on there regardless
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Texas
Rear window louver?

I'm interested in getting a rear window louver myself and this kind of stuff concerns me. Hopefully someone has an answer
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
Anyone have any remedies on how to keep the dang window louver on the rear window the adhesive works like crap but I have no plans on taking it off so I'm going to keep it on there regardless

I put mine on... I had 4 of the 6 brackets lift up.
I like the look, but I had to sell em :/
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
First, I hope you have the aluminum louver and not the plastic one. I was stupid enough to purchase and install the plastic one. After a round trip from Orlando to Tampa, the vibration and harmonics of that #$@& plastic louver caused the plastic to crack at its center connections, and then it began to flap. I had to pull over and remove it (I broke it into pieces to fit into the trunk). I got my money back on it!

As to your question, if the mounting plates are not staying on the glass, you'll need to remove the two sided tape, and use new tape. Be sure to use the 3M automotive tape, as the other type is not adhesive enough.

Also, prep is key! Use an alcohol wipe to remove any grease or oil from the glass where the plates are to be mounted. Don't use glass cleaner! Two, after applying the plates with new 3M automtive tape, wait a few hours before going for a ride with the louver fastened to the plates. The tape needs to "cure" for good adhesion.

At this point the current tape is weak apparently, and you need to replace it. The 3M automotive stuff is great, but prep is important. Whenever it's used on plastics, 3M recommends strongly that plastic adhesive promoter also be used after the surface has been cleaned to remove any wax, oil, dirt, etc. In your case though this is skipped, as your mounting the plates to glass.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I ordered my Mustang from the factory with louvers. They're plastic and I have taken several 3-4 hours trips and they haven't shaken loose or anything. Sounds like yours were just really crappy plastic. I don't know how Ford put them on but I assume it was with automotive tape. I've got 4000 miles on them and they are still holding fine.

But I do know that if you try to adhere them onto the car with dirt still on the car, it isn't going to work out.
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
I ordered my Mustang from the factory with louvers. They're plastic and I have taken several 3-4 hours trips and they haven't shaken loose or anything. Sounds like yours were just really crappy plastic. I don't know how Ford put them on but I assume it was with automotive tape. I've got 4000 miles on them and they are still holding fine.

But I do know that if you try to adhere them onto the car with dirt still on the car, it isn't going to work out.
Are you talking about the "side rear" louvers, or the "rear window" louver? The OP was talking about the rear window louver, which was what I was responding to. I have no issues with my rear side louvers.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Did you use the adhesive promotor
Old 12-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
Did you use the adhesive promotor
I believe that's used to help promote adhesion to plastic. Not sure it works for glass, as I assume the plates that are used for the rear window louver attach to the glass.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It will work on both I used it on my side louvers and it was -2 in Chicago this morning and no problems
Old 12-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
It will work on both I used it on my side louvers and it was -2 in Chicago this morning and no problems
Good to hear; I learned something today! Thanks for letting me know that.

I'm guessing that since the adhesion promoter is not usually provided in these install "kits", it gets ignored (it's use).

So, if the OP heads out and buys some new 3M automotive tape (one inch or larger), reapplies this new tape to the hold down plates, and then cleans the glass, and uses the adhesion promoter, they will have better results.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Are you talking about the "side rear" louvers, or the "rear window" louver? The OP was talking about the rear window louver, which was what I was responding to. I have no issues with my rear side louvers.
Oh I was talking about quarter window louvers. Not the rear louver which would go over the rear windshield. Lol

Carry on, don't mind me.
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Go to your nearest NAPA dealer they will help you
Old 12-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Duct Tape fixes everything. j/k. Good info in here as I was thinking rear window louvers as well.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
When looking at new mustangs on the lot all the ones with window louvers were attached with heavy duty Velcro. It would be nice to use velcro so you always have the option to remove them in order clean the glass.

YouTube: TheRedStang227
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCny...D0lpUwi_ddL5Ww
Charlesph55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I'd say just pull it off. Clean the edges of your rear window with alcohol. Use new 3m tape maybe of wider width and adhesive promoter. Or if all else fails the Velcro idea is actually a great idea. It'd be easy to clean the glass if ever need be.
Tvan121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Only problem with the Velcro that I see is, if someone wanted to steal the louvers, the Velcro would make it super easy. Just sayin . . . . . .
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly though if someone wants it that bad they're gonna take it. And you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference if you looked at it anyways.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I have the MRT rear louvers. This is one item that you do not cheap out on. Use the alcohol wipes to prepare the glass thoroughly. Do not do this in cold weather, and keep them locked in place for the first 48 hours, do not drive the first 24 hours. It is important that they do not set in cold weather. Many shops will put the car on a lift and keep it in the hottest air of the building.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear376 View Post
I have the MRT rear louvers. This is one item that you do not cheap out on. Use the alcohol wipes to prepare the glass thoroughly. Do not do this in cold weather, and keep them locked in place for the first 48 hours, do not drive the first 24 hours. It is important that they do not set in cold weather. Many shops will put the car on a lift and keep it in the hottest air of the building.

+1
Old 12-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah it's really just one bracket coming I'm going to see if the have automotive adhesive at autozone
Old 12-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #21
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Yeah it's really just one bracket coming I'm going to see if the have automotive adhesive at autozone
Get the 3M stuff I don't know what is but 3M makes the best adhesives on the market. Amazon should also sell it
Old 12-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

If you're serious about not wanting to remove them then see if you can get some durabond. That's what the paint shop I took mine to used on both the quarter windows and the side scoops and those suckers aren't going anywhere.
pdrinkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #23
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Only problem with the Velcro that I see is, if someone wanted to steal the louvers, the Velcro would make it super easy. Just sayin . . . . . .
Velcro or 3M automotive tape, any part held on with either can be stolen without much effort.

Short of drillng holes in the glass and using nuts and bolts, any piece is sublect to theft unfortunately.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrinkut View Post
If you're serious about not wanting to remove them then see if you can get some durabond. That's what the paint shop I took mine to used on both the quarter windows and the side scoops and those suckers aren't going anywhere.
Hmmm ill look into that
Old 12-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Probably hard to see out of
MythlinMasterdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MythlinMasterdo View Post
Probably hard to see out of

Louvers are. But the reason I went with them is that I don't need much rear side visibility, and they look real good.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #27

Simple. Clean with alcohol, heat both window and louver. Add super glue if you must.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Mustang Evolution mobile app
blacklightening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:49 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Some may flame me for doing this, but I simply bent mine a tiny bit in the middle and it has stayed on like a charm for 10,000 miles. Not even the slightest sign that they are coming loose. I realize that it may take some of the look away from it, but I honestly got fed up with it after three complete reinstalls doing everything that has been mentioned in this thread.
Plus I can always simply bend them back....
Chuckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Louvers are. But the reason I went with them is that I don't need much rear side visibility, and they look real good.
These guys are talking about the louvers on the rear window, not the side quarter windows, bud.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
These guys are talking about the louvers on the rear window, not the side quarter windows, bud.
I ordered both sets not too long ago, just waiting delivery. I drove around a few cars with louvers and it wasn't so bad. They are hard to see into , but not out of. It's all because of the perspective. From outside, you are viewing them at a different angle and height than you would from the inside looking through your rear view mirror. A few guys have pictures posted up on american muscle to show the rear view visibility and it is relatively unhindered
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:02 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Woops.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:23 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post
Some may flame me for doing this, but I simply bent mine a tiny bit in the middle and it has stayed on like a charm for 10,000 miles. Not even the slightest sign that they are coming loose. I realize that it may take some of the look away from it, but I honestly got fed up with it after three complete reinstalls doing everything that has been mentioned in this thread.
Plus I can always simply bend them back....
Hey man if it works it works haha
Old 12-30-2013, 06:08 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I have the MRT. Cleaning with alcohol and using adhesion promoter on the brackets is key. I would email the manufacturer for new brackets and start over before trying any other suggestions
3.31 gears
On order
Starsky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:16 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky007 View Post
I have the MRT. Cleaning with alcohol and using adhesion promoter on the brackets is key. I would email the manufacturer for new brackets and start over before trying any other suggestions
I bought these used off craigslist for $100 haha
Old 01-08-2014, 12:09 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I bought these used off craigslist for $100 haha

Cool...I would bet an email to the manufacturer will still get you the new hardware. But if not, yeah, 3m tape, adhesive promoter, alcohol and you should be good to go
3.31 gears
On order
Starsky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #35
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky007 View Post
Cool...I would bet an email to the manufacturer will still get you the new hardware. But if not, yeah, 3m tape, adhesive promoter, alcohol and you should be good to go
Is the alcohol for the person installing, or to clean the surface?

Just kidding of course; to clean the surface.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang