Spark Plugs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Spark Plugs?

Has anyone changed their mustangs spark plugs yet? And was it hard to remove the intake plenum? But my biggest question is what plugs did you put in? Is there something better than the motocraft OEM plugs?
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I am actually about to order the NGK iridiums off of AM haha. Most people recommend doing this install along with the Taylor wires and screamin demon coil pack. I haven't personally done this install myself, so we'll have to see how much trouble I run into haha. I'm also not sure if anything I just mentioned will fit for your 2012, haha sorry! Good luck!
2010BlkMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
2011 and up would be coil packs only (no wires). Also, the plugs are good up to at least 100K. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket, leave the plugs in.
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
2011 and up would be coil packs only (no wires). Also, the plugs are good up to at least 100K. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket, leave the plugs in.

I like to change my plugs after 60k miles and the vehicles I've owned. Yes I've heard they're good for 100k. And I was getting a small surging issue which came after this thread. So just to have a reason to get new plugs and coils I used that. Lmao
Old 01-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
ON this Topic of plugs an Coils, I had an interest in replacing my stock coils with the Accel coil packs. For no good reason other than doing it , might gain what somewhere around 2 hpr?

My question is if changing to high power coil packs, any reason to need to change the plugs or re-gap them?

PS yes I know other things more important are going to be done, BBK shorts and stuff in that area as well.

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
ON this Topic of plugs an Coils, I had an interest in replacing my stock coils with the Accel coil packs. For no good reason other than doing it , might gain what somewhere around 2 hpr?

My question is if changing to high power coil packs, any reason to need to change the plugs or re-gap them?

PS yes I know other things more important are going to be done, BBK shorts and stuff in that area as well.

Art

I don't think you would need to regap the plugs if your just throwin coils on. But hey I could be wrong. I'm changing mine since the manifold will be off do it all at the same time. 👍
Old 01-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbullet2012 View Post
I don't think you would need to regap the plugs if your just throwin coils on. But hey I could be wrong. I'm changing mine since the manifold will be off do it all at the same time. 👍
Ya know, that is a very good point! Being the manifold has to come off, I would say just do it.

Art
Old 01-09-2014, 06:17 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

A non biblical proverb from an intructional poem titled "Five Hundred Points of Good Husbandry " which was written by Thomas Tusser (1524-1580), an English poet and farmer.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
"A fool and his money are soon parted"

A non biblical proverb from an intructional poem titled "Five Hundred Points of Good Husbandry " which was written by Thomas Tusser (1524-1580), an English poet and farmer.
Bucko, as you know I trust your opinions all the time, your always spot on. Plugs are good to replace at 100K. Most of the problem in doing that on the 3.7 engine is the intake manifold on the passenger side. If that is coming off for some other reason, than I would say replacing spark plugs is a wise thing to do at 60+K miles. Gives you another 100K right?

Now If I am a fool about putting coil packs on, yes that would be a correct statement. But I got something I am thinking about that might want that done before hand.

However as Dad said from the time I was a year from being able to drive and had a car in the drive I was farking with....all money spend on cars for any reason then to get to point B from point A was a foolish. He worked in insurance, I never agreed with him

Art
Old 01-10-2014, 05:55 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Great points Art; I did not consider this side to the story or point when I made that post; I stand corrected.

If you have an agenda or plan that requires a hotter spark than stock, then it makes sense to change them. My comment applies to those that change a part because they were viewed as being "cool". I'm guilty of doing this years ago, but have learned that while others may look and say "cool", it did nothing for the performance, and emptied my wallet.

I too have an agenda, and that is to buy a nice used 2011, 2012 Boss 302. So, If it an't broke, it an't getting replaced on my current 2011 ride, in order for me to have some cash to add to the financing I'll be doing soon when I make that purchase.

Thanks for setting me straight.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
. . . . . But I got something I am thinking about that might want that done before hand. . . . .

Art
OK, ya got me! Can you share your plan that would require upgraded coil packs? Very interested in your idea
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
So can I pick up the plugs at a stealership or at a local part store
Old 01-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
OK, ya got me! Can you share your plan that would require upgraded coil packs? Very interested in your idea
Hi Dawg, nothing I am aware of would require upgraded Coil Paks. But my best friend is an old Buick Grand National turbo tuner, back when you did Fuel Injection tuning via analog methods not digital. He mentioned something I will get to below.

I am struggling with upgrading to a custom install ProCharger [they don't sell a '13 auto kit) or Upgraded Stang to GT or better. On one side I would have a mostly unique "different" car, where if I do a GT upgrade, the cars just another GT. I tend to get better traffic to my car at the local shows and meets last year because it was different, the blue with black attracts folks. I have even been asked by a 2013 GT guy where I got my mufflers so he could make his GT sound like mine when I pulled into the grass lot. He got shocked when I opened the hood. and still at this time even the Mustang guys are still shocked at the power of the tuned and geared V6 vs a stock 4.6 modular GT.

Now to the coil paks. My friend said sometimes with boost, coil paks can misfire and/or get hot. And for the money being spend to have folks put on the new larger injectors, ProCharger plus custom dyno tuning, I would good do to spend the extra few hundred dollars on upgraded coil paks and proper matching plugs in the correct heat range for boosted applications.

When I was in the Florida panhandle last spring, an older guy then me in a private lot was burning up the concrete drifting in a 2006(?) Stang. When he was done and when into the adjoining pub across the street, I was talking to him and I learned it was a procharged V6. He told me he was the Alpha tester for procharger V6 many years ago. No software was even available and he had to hand dyno, tune, drive test many times to wring that testbed out. I considered that really unique he had an enjoyable story, and since then have been strongly considering it depending on selling some other non-car related toys to pay for it.

Art
Old 01-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Art: fair enough! That makes perfect sense and am blown away with the direction you're taking your ride. Kudos to you, my man, most impressive. Keep us posted on your progress. Would love to see a pic of your engine bay. I just love the creative inspiration the Mustang brings out in their owners. Wow!
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
So can I pick up the plugs at a stealership or at a local part store

Yes, just make sure they're properly gapped
We're gonna have to change mine when I go down there :p
We may as well do yours while we're at it
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

Yes, just make sure they're properly gapped
We're gonna have to change mine when I go down there :p
We may as well do yours while we're at it
And make sure u don't strip the heads.
Last night working on my friends 94 lightening we found they stripped the entire passenger side by forcing the plugs in
They being previous owners
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #17

Region: Connecticut
Hey, getting back to the subject of coil packs...I've been thinking about installing the Accel coil packs because my Stang often stalls or nearly stalls after some spirited driving. I didn't have this problem until after I installed the BBK LT headers and O/R X-pipe. I retuned the car with Bama street tune but that didn't help. In reading some of the reviews of the coil packs some people say it helps smooth out the idle, which is one reason why I am considering the upgrade. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOTPONY View Post
Hey, getting back to the subject of coil packs...I've been thinking about installing the Accel coil packs because my Stang often stalls or nearly stalls after some spirited driving. I didn't have this problem until after I installed the BBK LT headers and O/R X-pipe. I retuned the car with Bama street tune but that didn't help. In reading some of the reviews of the coil packs some people say it helps smooth out the idle, which is one reason why I am considering the upgrade. Any thoughts or suggestions?

It could help it a lil bit. But I'm sure all you need to to do is to run a data log and send it to bama so they can redo your tune.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:38 AM   #19

Region: Connecticut
How would I run a data log?
Old 02-21-2014, 05:48 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I tested several types of spark plugs on my last car (Dodge). The best overall spark plugs were the factory OEM's at less than $2 each. So when the time comes for me to change my spark plugs on my Mustang, i will be using the factory OEM plugs...
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:01 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I tested several types of spark plugs on my last car (Dodge). The best overall spark plugs were the factory OEM's at less than $2 each. So when the time comes for me to change my spark plugs on my Mustang, i will be using the factory OEM plugs...

Ha. On the 3.7 the OEM plugs are 7-8 bucks a pop. Maybe more. Don't quote me. I don't remember. Lol. Mine weren't the greatest lookin when I pulled mine out. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1392983913.884735.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	657.3 KB
ID:	148407

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOTPONY View Post
How would I run a data log?

It's a program you get off of SCT website. Call Bama and from what I've heard will walk you through of how they want the data log to look. I've seen a couple people after the data log it's helped them. But it's mainly the LT headers and O/R xpipe that stalls out from what I've seen.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Yeah you need to do some datalogging with Bama. Not sure what tuner you have but I think there are videos on YouTube and you can always call Bama and they can send you instructions. As far as the Accel super coils goes everyone knocks them but I picked up some while on sale and I think it's worthwhile at the $280 price I got them at. Not at full price though. My 'stang idles & runs smoother. It also starts better on cold days and has better throttle response. I wouldn't say it gives more hp like it says on A.M. site. If it does it's not noticeable.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang