Am I getting screwed? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Colonial Heights
Region: Virginia
Posts: 3
Am I getting screwed?

So I went by my local muffler shop today to get an estimate on how much it would cost to cut my existing Y-Pipe off and install a true dual system with straight piping going from the cats to my mufflers, no mid pipe at all.

After seeing how much pipe they would need I got told the price would be $325 for everything including labor, pipe cost and what-not. Now, a question to everyone on here. Is that too much or a decent price. Am I getting played or what? Also, this is my first post here!
10konastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bear376's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Stillwater
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 351
There is no reason to separate the system. The H-pipe/X-pipe design is beneficial to the performance of the engine. It helps remove the exhaust from the combustion chamber and give a cleaner burn. Different designs are used to tune where the effect is most beneficial.
__________________
2013 MCA Edition-Sterling Grey
Roush body kit - Splitters/hood scoop
Whiteline suspension w/Koni shocks
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Colonial Heights
Region: Virginia
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear376 View Post
There is no reason to separate the system. The H-pipe/X-pipe design is beneficial to the performance of the engine. It helps remove the exhaust from the combustion chamber and give a cleaner burn. Different designs are used to tune where the effect is most beneficial.
Well at the moment it is for sound/looks. Either way, upgrading to a dual exhaust is helping it performance wise at least a little, getting away from the restrictive Y-Pipe that is. I will eventually probably upgrade to an H-Pipe but wont ever put an X on a v6 because it's too raspy in my opinion. But I made this thread about the price, whether it was a decent deal.
10konastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10konastang View Post

Well at the moment it is for sound/looks. Either way, upgrading to a dual exhaust is helping it performance wise at least a little, getting away from the restrictive Y-Pipe that is. I will eventually probably upgrade to an H-Pipe but wont ever put an X on a v6 because it's too raspy in my opinion. But I made this thread about the price, whether it was a decent deal.
For a custom bent system that's actually pretty good price wise as long as they're using decent pipe. As stated, you should do the H pipe now. With a custom bent exhaust, you won't get an opportunity to do it later as the custom stuff wont be easy to work on again once it's all welded up. I would definitely get an H done now.
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Colonial Heights
Region: Virginia
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
For a custom bent system that's actually pretty good price wise as long as they're using decent pipe. As stated, you should do the H pipe now. With a custom bent exhaust, you won't get an opportunity to do it later as the custom stuff wont be easy to work on again once it's all welded up. I would definitely get an H done now.
Would it be easier for them to custom fab an H-Pipe and cost more, or would it be better to try and find one online. I can't seem to find many H-pipes and the ones I do are O/R. Only one that I have seen was the Mac Pro Chamber.
10konastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Prescott
Region: Arizona
Posts: 274
If I read this correctly. You are removing the Y pipe that connects both banks into one single exhaust pipe. Then yes, this is a good move and the price isn't bad. Consider an X or H pipe. Have fun.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear376 View Post
There is no reason to separate the system. The H-pipe/X-pipe design is beneficial to the performance of the engine. It helps remove the exhaust from the combustion chamber and give a cleaner burn. Different designs are used to tune where the effect is most beneficial.
I'm assuming he has a '10 V6 since he has a y pipe, in that case he has an even firing order and it is perfectly fine to run divorced duals. The H and X is only needed with the V8s that have an uneven firing order.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bear376's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Stillwater
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 351
If he has a 10' with single exhaust, then yes he would be better to go with dual exhaust, and the price is fair. But the H pipe should be included and would be easier to do now than later. The H pipe improves the efficiency of the engine in the mid-range of any V-engine, which would include the 4.0 and most people like the sound with the H pipe The X-pipe is best for high rpm applications, and probably not as suited for the 4.0.
__________________
2013 MCA Edition-Sterling Grey
Roush body kit - Splitters/hood scoop
Whiteline suspension w/Koni shocks
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



07:19 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.