Window frozen - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Window frozen

So I was running out last night and had to grab something from my car 2014 V6, the driver door was frozen shut. So I went to the passenger door same but I was able to open it. After all that I tried to close the door come to find out my windows were frozen so it didn't come down fully enough for me to close the door. Has anyone else ran into this problem?
ricketkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Warm water will fix it lol
mark_ash0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Yesterday morning. Used glass cleaner from my trunk and a old ID card. Problem solved
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I've had the same problems... Onu way to fix it from what I've seen is getting a remote start and warming your car 10mins prior to going outside. Goodluck! Also, keep in mind if you continually do this throughout the winter your window seals will need changing
Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Damn going to let the car run for a while the driver side works but the passenger side is stuck

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #6

Region: Georgia
What do you mean glass cleaner and if card? Yesterday I scraped all the ice off the windows but they wouldn't go down. Do I need to put window cleaner in the weather stripping? Just trying to clarify, thanks!
Jwizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Something that has worked for me is WD40. Spray WD on a paper towel and wipe the rubber seal all the way around, including where the window contacts it. Haven't had it stick yet and was 1 degree this morning.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

My door open but the window we won't go down

Old 01-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricketkm View Post

Why do you want it to go down?...
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricketkm View Post

Missed that part. Have to agree with the hot water. Sounds like the dew wipe is froze to the window and the hot water should free it. These new window motors trip out easy to avoid rolling a finger up in the window so there is no such luck that you will ever get it down with just the switch.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Also asking? Anyone having starter issues?

My starter ticks a lot slower now but still fires the car up. It's 15* in Alabama.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Also asking? Anyone having starter issues?

My starter ticks a lot slower now but still fires the car up. It's 15* in Alabama.
mine did that when i cranked it early morning (about 10*) it clicked little and started up a bit slow. but it cranked.
I let it sit for a couple minutes, the steering was different, and even the shifting (auto) was slow (compared to how it normally shifts)
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

That and getting it into gear was stiff and blocky feeling. This is the mustangs first arctic winter.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:19 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
That and getting it into gear was stiff and blocky feeling. This is the mustangs first arctic winter.
Mine was the same way yesterday morning leaving work. Had a sluggish feeling between gears. Didn't help that is was 15 degrees outside.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
air_commando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:23 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Man, my windows would only crack down enough for the door to open in the morning.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:43 AM   #16
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by clflorida View Post
Why do you want it to go down?...
He's talking about how the window normally drops that half inch when you open the door. When it gets too cold, sometimes the ice buildup keeps the window from lowering. Then when you go to close the door, the seal isn't right.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
He's talking about how the window normally drops that half inch when you open the door. When it gets too cold, sometimes the ice buildup keeps the window from lowering. Then when you go to close the door, the seal isn't right.
My point exactly the window won't crack for me to open or close the door correctly.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubi351 View Post
Something that has worked for me is WD40. Spray WD on a paper towel and wipe the rubber seal all the way around, including where the window contacts it. Haven't had it stick yet and was 1 degree this morning.
Excellent idea! Thanks for sharing it.

For me, Florida is the best!
Old 01-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
mine did that when i cranked it early morning (about 10*) it clicked little and started up a bit slow. but it cranked.
I let it sit for a couple minutes, the steering was different, and even the shifting (auto) was slow (compared to how it normally shifts)

Yep, same. I've got a '14 auto and it cranked much slower than normal and shifts were stiff and jerky. Once fully warmed up, it was fine.

Also, anyone else find that this car takes ages to warm up? It was 10 degrees yesterday and I thought that if I sat with it idling for 15 minutes would warm it up...Sadly, it was all for naught. I was going to be late for work so I just had to start driving with a cold engine.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
My car takes about 3-5 minutes until its nice and warm lol. But get a car cover, the past couple of days it has been in the negatives and I haven't had a problem at all opening the doors or warming up the car with no ice on it.

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoney View Post
My car takes about 3-5 minutes until its nice and warm lol. But get a car cover, the past couple of days it has been in the negatives and I haven't had a problem at all opening the doors or warming up the car with no ice on it.
Forgot to mention that mine's not garage kept and it spends the mornings in the shadow cast by my house. Idk how much that all could effect my warm up but...

3-5 minutes is really quick! I sat there for 15 minutes without the temp gauge moving at all.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Excellent idea! Thanks for sharing it.

For me, Florida is the best!
Yes, the FLA space coast, drive 1A1A down the coast. I won't drive my Mustang in weather like this. I bought it knowing it would be a 3 season daily driver only, not the "Rustangs" that many folks here in the rustbelt drive. As I rescued my mother in my Truck to take her to the food store, we saw a Kewl looking gray silver New Edge GT with a drivers side wheel taken out at the arm. The Horse had a broken leg, good thing today we don't have to shoot them to put them down because of that

Keep them off the ice and snow if you can. If you can't, be very , very careful to avoid being near salt or brine of any kind; and always if you can flush the underside as much as you can.

If the roads are dry, no moisture at all, no clumps of salt around; its sorta safe to get the horse out of cold storage and exercise her legs. But don't get any kind of road stuff up into the underside if at all possible. You want your bar codes to be able to still be readable

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubi351 View Post
You could also use silicone spray. Use it the same way as the WD40, spray on rag and wipe on ALL weatherstripping from above the window all the way to the bottom of the door. This prevents the door from freezing shut if rain or melted snow runs down in there and freezes. I'm sure you know what I mean when you go outside, pull on the handle and the door is stuck. Not sure if the WD40 is greasy or not after applying. The silicone spray is dry and leave the stripping very slippery.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
You could also use silicone spray. Use it the same way as the WD40, spray on rag and wipe on ALL weatherstripping from above the window all the way to the bottom of the door. This prevents the door from freezing shut if rain or melted snow runs down in there and freezes. I'm sure you know what I mean when you go outside, pull on the handle and the door is stuck. Not sure if the WD40 is greasy or not after applying. The silicone spray is dry and leave the stripping very slippery.
Thanks, I did not have WD-40 but used the silicone spray on my truck today.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
You're welcome!
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang