Throttle Hesitation - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Throttle Hesitation

Okay everyone, I've been meaning to post about this for some time, but haven't gotten around to it.

I bought my '14 auto V6 in September 2013. Ever since I got it, I've noticed that the car hesitates to accelerate while in 3rd gear. It is especially noticeable under light acceleration when the engine hasn't fully warmed, and barely under heavy acceleration once it is warm.

This is what it's doing, just to be clear.

- Normally accelerating from 1st, to 2nd, then 3rd
- Revs drops about ~200rpm in the middle of 3rd gear, then it continues to climb as normal
- Normally accelerating through the rest of the gears

I took it to Ford, where I'm friends with the GM (same guy who a few months ago cut me a knew car key for FREE because I locked the two they gave me in my trunk) who had it looked at thoroughly. I left in a Focus loaner and then 3-4 hours later they called back and asked me to come pick it up. The guy on the phone explained to me that their tranny expert came in and drove it for about 45 minutes and DID notice the phenomenon, but said that it was a normal product of the automatic transmission and that it isn't hurting anything. So I drove the Ford dealership-decal-laden hotrod back to the dealership and picked my Mustang up. I talked to the GM and he said that he had spoken with the guy who test drove my car. He said pretty much the same thing as the guy on the phone. He also said that they did an ECU reflash just in case and went and drove it out again, but that didn't change anything.

So, in all, I was pretty happy with the service I got from Ford. A transmission guy came in and said that he did notice what I was talking about (I was worried they'd call back to tell me I was crazy), and that they did an ECU reflash for no immediate reason other than to double-check that my ECU wasn't the cause as well as to fully update the ECU. Plus they did it all in less than a day.

However, I'm still a little worried. What it is doing just doesn't seem normal to me, and I don't hear other auto owners talking about this phenomenon. I just want to make sure that it is safe and isn't a symptom of a serious issue.

To give a little extra detail, it ONLY happens in 3rd gear, it only lasts for a second, it occurs in D, S, and select-shift modes, it is not extremely noticeable at WOT, and the engine does nothing else that leads me to believe somethings wrong.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Power loss or Delay in 3rd Gear - Ford Mustang Forums

2013 Hesitation/Stumble in middle of RPM - MustangForums.com

'14 Mustang Acceleration "pause" - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

After a second bout of research, I've come up with a few other threads people have started elsewhere confirming this. Apparently, this happens in GT and V6 autos.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Old 01-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Mine just pulls strong

Mine is a 2012 and seems to work great. It shifts nice and firm when I floor it and it shifts un-noticeable when driving around in no hurry. I think It started with the 2013's having the hesitation problem. It may have something to do with the way Ford changed the automatics shifter's in 2013.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 06:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Could be. I mean it isn't a big deal to me as long as it isn't a problem. If that's just what it does, that's fine with me until I can get my tune.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I drive a 2013 v6 mustang and mine is a stick shift, mine seems to have the same problem, almost like it wants to really go but it hesitates for some reason, I've heard a cold air intake helps this problem but I don't have one, just an idea if you wanna try it! Btw mines done this since day one and has never changed.
TruTalent94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruTalent94 View Post
I drive a 2013 v6 mustang and mine is a stick shift, mine seems to have the same problem, almost like it wants to really go but it hesitates for some reason, I've heard a cold air intake helps this problem but I don't have one, just an idea if you wanna try it! Btw mines done this since day one and has never changed.
Sweet! Good to hear I'm not alone. I plan on a CAI/Tune eventually so hopefully that'll resolve the issue!
Old 01-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Sweet! Good to hear I'm not alone. I plan on a CAI/Tune eventually so hopefully that'll resolve the issue!
I wonder if a throttle body spacer would improve the hesitation. People that installed them say they notice a little better TB response and flow. And TB spacers are cheap enough and easy to install. Plus gives you a little more room when changing pligs, wires and fuel raols..
Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosified View Post
I wonder if a throttle body spacer would improve the hesitation. People that installed them say they notice a little better TB response and flow. And TB spacers are cheap enough and easy to install. Plus gives you a little more room when changing pligs, wires and fuel raols..
Don't know much about TBs and spacers. Would a spacer be a "stand-alone" mod or does it require installing anything else? Do they make spacers that fit the stock TB?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I've got a 13 manual and it occasionally does it also but at wot
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Don't know much about TBs and spacers. Would a spacer be a "stand-alone" mod or does it require installing anything else? Do they make spacers that fit the stock TB?
I just GOOGLED it and they are available. I really didn't read the application well. But check it out. I was suprised to find out the TB response improvement.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

On the Ford 4.3 V6's, a TB spacer was founfd to be a waste of money...not sure how they work with the 3.7 V6's though.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
On the Ford 4.3 V6's, a TB spacer was founfd to be a waste of money...not sure how they work with the 3.7 V6's though.
I guess TB spacers are for people that notice every micrometer of there engines performance. They do improve flow, so how much can it hurt to install one?
Old 01-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Its funny - I have looked at TB spacers for a while. The people on the Mustang forums (not just this one) swear they are a total waste of money (the words "paper weight" are frequently used in conjunction) but the people on the AM website that have reviewed them swear they solve world hunger, cure baldness and give great response time and increase MPG. Not sure what to make of that chasm in opinion.

Sent from my XT907 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
CandyRed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyRed11 View Post
Its funny - I have looked at TB spacers for a while. The people on the Mustang forums (not just this one) swear they are a total waste of money (the words "paper weight" are frequently used in conjunction) but the people on the AM website that have reviewed them swear they solve world hunger, cure baldness and give great response time and increase MPG. Not sure what to make of that chasm in opinion.

I had a TB spacer until my Uncle swiped it from me during my PI swap. I noticed a slight difference in TB response at lower rpm's. It doesn't bother me enough to put one back on. Just say'n..
Old 01-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyRed11 View Post

Well a lot of people on forums have their mustangs modded to all hell. Haha something so slight as a TB spacer may not even get their attention. My mustang is stock performance-wise so maybe I would. Lol
Old 01-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I have the same issue in my car 2014 - MT82. It typically only happens when the car is cold, and I have this issue in 2nd and 3rd.

Once the car is warmed up, I don't seem to notice it.

I believe it is something with the throttle by wire. I change the display to the AF ratio and under normal acceleration it goes to somewhere in the 12 or 13's. When this hesitation happens, it's reading in the 14-15's regardless of where the gas pedal is at. Then after a half or quarter second the car comes back to life and is fine.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #17
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosified View Post
I guess TB spacers are for people that notice every micrometer of there engines performance. They do improve flow, so how much can it hurt to install one?
Your wallet. Spending the kind of money for one verses any gains (miniscule) would, in my book, make it not worth the money.

Again, I have not seen any "dyno" readings with a "before" and "after" a TB spacer. If I do, and the numbers justify the spacer as worth it, I'll change my mind.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Your wallet. Spending the kind of money for one verses any gains (miniscule) would, in my book, make it not worth the money.

Again, I have not seen any "dyno" readings with a "before" and "after" a TB spacer. If I do, and the numbers justify the spacer as worth it, I'll change my mind.
I notice every miniscule detail in all the things I love
It's really just if you want a TB spacer or not. An additional benwfit for me is extra room to get at my fuel injectors, plugs and wires etc.. If it nade my car faster I'd be holding a shoddy up to my Uncle and steal it back... Lol...
Old 01-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #19
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
There is a thread here somewhere (I can't find it because I'm posting from my phone) that goes over removing the fuse for the TCM for ~15 minutes and that solves the hesitation for about 2 weeks or so. I do it whenever I remember or whenever I really start to notice it again.
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

It's your torque converter locking. All the new v6 autos do it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
supersixx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersixx13 View Post

Interesting. You know why it does that? Intentional?
Old 01-23-2014, 04:45 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Yea it's intentional. Ford designed it to do that. I can't remember exactly why it does it. I would have to go back and find the article on it.

supersixx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
There is a thread here somewhere (I can't find it because I'm posting from my phone) that goes over removing the fuse for the TCM for ~15 minutes and that solves the hesitation for about 2 weeks or so. I do it whenever I remember or whenever I really start to notice it again.
What fuse number would that be and is it located in the engine bay or the drivers compartment?
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersixx13 View Post

The issue on the autos could be from the torque converter locking up, except the same or similar thing happens in my manual transmission car..

I believe it's an issue with the throttle by wire as the AF ratio goes to an idle number 14 - 15 even when the go pedal is firmly on the floor and the AF should read 12 - 13. Then suddenly it goes like nothing ever happened.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:11 AM   #25
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
What fuse number would that be and is it located in the engine bay or the drivers compartment?
It's in the engine bay. I will get back later with the fuse # after I look. I can't remember off of the top of my head.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
It's in the engine bay. I will get back later with the fuse # after I look. I can't remember off of the top of my head.
That would be great, if it's #47, that would be for reseting the Adaptive Shifting for the Mustangs with the automatic transmission. Let me know what you find out when you can
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 01-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
The issue on the autos could be from the torque converter locking up, except the same or similar thing happens in my manual transmission car..

I believe it's an issue with the throttle by wire as the AF ratio goes to an idle number 14 - 15 even when the go pedal is firmly on the floor and the AF should read 12 - 13. Then suddenly it goes like nothing ever happened.
Do you think the bbk tb would correct that or is it something we have to live with? My manual 13 sometimes does this.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #28
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That would be great, if it's #47, that would be for reseting the Adaptive Shifting for the Mustangs with the automatic transmission. Let me know what you find out when you can
Bingo...it's #47.

I do it every couple of weeks. I've messed with the idea of making some sort of switch inside the car to reset it.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Good info guys. I'll look for fuse 47 wen I get the chance!
Old 01-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Good info guys. I'll look for fuse 47 wen I get the chance!
Quote:
Bingo...it's #47.
I do it every couple of weeks. I've messed with the idea of making some sort of switch inside the car to reset it.
Yep, you can read all about it right here:

Permanent removal of adaptive shifting in your auto V6. - Ford Mustang Forums
Old 01-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #31
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for finding it! I couldn't find it for the life of me.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for finding it! I couldn't find it for the life of me.
No sweat, glad I could help.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Question to folks with this 3rd gear "hold off" of power till it lets go....
Does anyone with this issue have an aftermarket tune?
It might be a way to get better numbers from the EPA on emissions by the factory. At least that doesn't cause permanent engine problems down the road.

Example, GM using AFM destroys longer term V8 engine cylinder/piston ring life just to get good emissions numbers when new; Curse you AFM
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:47 AM   #34
Admin

Supporter
Admin

There is a wiring mod that involves installing a relay to fuse #47 that removes power from it when you turn off the engine. This way you do not have to remove the fuse every couple of weeks. It involves the purchase of a relay (couple of bucks) and some simple wiring.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:07 AM   #35
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Is this only on the 2013 and later models?

I have a 2012 and my transmission works perfect. It shifts when it needs to shift and when I floor it my transmission snaps down exactly like it should. If flooring it from a stand still I do have to go soft until the car gets moving and smash it and it goes to red line and snaps into the next gear. (PERFECT)
I'm wondering what Ford did to the 2013 and up's to cause the problems you guy's are having.
No tune here
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang