Steering resistance is different turning left vs right - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Steering resistance is different turning left vs right

It is slightly easier for me to turn my steering whell to the left than to the right, in all steering modes (comfort, sport, standard). The car tracks perfectly straight on a flat surfce but there is a noticable difference in the steering resistance turning the wheel left vs right.

If I jerk the wheel to the right while driving, it will snap back to the left a bit. If I jerk the wheel to the left when driving, it will stay left.

Since it tracks well and only has 5000 miles (new 2014, manual v6), I dont think the alignment would already be fading (although the roads here in DFW are pretty bumpy).

It could also be that my tall, 230 lb body is weighing down the left side of the car making it want to go left, or maybe something is miscalibrated with the electric power steering.

Anyone experience this or have any thoughts? Any feedback is appreciated.
CUBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Mine feels the same weather turning left or right

I have a 2012 and do not have the problem you are describing. Have you checked your tire pressure?
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
This deals with your rear suspension according to alrefire. He is completely redoing the suspension in his car. It's just some slop tech that ford used on a stabilizing bar. It's generally normal unless there is a whine or groan
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Steering resistance is different turning left vs right

Coty, I think you're thinking of cornering performance with the panhard bar which doesn't sound like what the OP is talking about..

OP, you said this only happens when you jerk the wheel, does it happen any other time?
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
Coty, I think you're thinking of cornering performance with the panhard bar which doesn't sound like what the OP is talking about..

OP, you said this only happens when you jerk the wheel, does it happen any other time?
The resistance turning left is always easier when moving compared to the steering resistance turning right.

I have a big wide straight private road with no traffic on the way to work where I have done some "testing." I have just noticed that when I jerk the wheel about 90 degrees to the left and let go the wheel goes a little back to the right but the vehicle keeps turning left. When I jerk the wheel to the right about 90 degrees the wheel goes all the way back to the left and the vehicle goes left or straight.
CUBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Any vibration in the steering wheel at higher speeds?
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I had the same problem after I lowered mine. Took it to ford and had it aligned. No more problems.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
supersixx13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang