Mpt ghost cam issues please respond if u have tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Mpt ghost cam issues please respond if u have tune

Ok. So I have a Stage 2 GC tune. I dont use it much. When starting it makes this clack clack clack clack sound very fast sometimes before the car turns on. Sounds like the timing chain or something maybe the tvict phasers or something spinning to relocate the cams IDK just a guess. In any case, I had MPT make the tune over three times and every tune they sent did it. The first tune the idle surged really bad. The second still had surge and the third was better but all three had the sound I am describing.

Anyone else?
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I don't have their tune, I have the Bama ghost. No problems here. The ghost idle will surge...thats the point. In fact it will die if ur not quick with the throttle.
As for the clicking...sounds like injectors to me. Maybe the injectors are activated a bit early, or maybe that is designed that way on their tune?!
Did u datalog for them and have them check it out yet? Might be a great starting point.
Good luck,
Troy
Old 01-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Hey good point with the injectors I never thought of that but it sounds more like a chain on a bicycle kind of sound. That might be it.

Yes the idle surge is the point but this was like RPM going from 500 then going to a grand and then hanging for 2 seconds and back down to 500 and hanging for 2 seconds and repeat over and over. They got it right so no worries with that. I did not datalog. I plan on it but just wanted to post to see if anyone else has the issue and is that normal. I am going to try to capture it and see if I can hear it from the fuel rail.

Thanks Troy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 12:01 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Do a data log. If u want talk to Jon Lund and ask him to do a courtesy review of the MPT tune. He will tell you whats wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I have a MPT stage 3 GT and a Lund Racing GT and holy **** is Lunds tunes way better. Pulls harder, idles smooth. Like with my ghost cam the idle doesnt surge crazy it looks like its holding steady at 850

Old 01-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Charlie I did not kn8w that lund ma,ke gt for the 3.7
Old 01-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

oh I meant he will tell u whats wrong with ur car. I have his GT for my 5.0 and the MPT is for my 3.7 but he looked over it and told me what to tell mpt to adjust for it.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

He might make them im not sure id have to emal him and ask.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

He probably looked at it as a courtesy for you because you were a customer though. So Charlie, did your MPT tune for the 3.7 ever male any noise as soon as you turned the key? Also, did MPT adjust your tune after Lund gave you the adjustments he suggested?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
He probably looked at it as a courtesy for you because you were a customer though. So Charlie, did your MPT tune for the 3.7 ever male any noise as soon as you turned the key? Also, did MPT adjust your tune after Lund gave you the adjustments he suggested?
He is a good friend of a friend so he made me a free tune so yea prolly. Ive never had issues besided the first one sent having jerking issues since im an auto. But they fixed that. And yes they tweaked what I asked. They were wondering how I knew what was wrong n how to fix it and I told them I had lund look over ky data long and they were like ohhhhhh ummmmm okay hahaha.

The only issue ive seen is the engining making a ticking noise but ive only seen it from my two buddies with manual cars

Old 01-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

gotcha. it doesnt do it every time only every once in a while on start up. makes this clack clack sound when the key is turned on to ignition for like 3 seconds and then it starts right up. I stopped using it and now that I am looking at buying a procharger I doubt I will be able to use it at all. But I am curious as to what the sound is. M.aybe Ill load the tune in and try to capture it on video
Old 01-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
gotcha. it doesnt do it every time only every once in a while on start up. makes this clack clack sound when the key is turned on to ignition for like 3 seconds and then it starts right up. I stopped using it and now that I am looking at buying a procharger I doubt I will be able to use it at all. But I am curious as to what the sound is. M.aybe Ill load the tune in and try to capture it on video
Load the tune and do a data log and a video

Old 01-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Ok loaded it in again. Of course I start it a few times on video and it doesn't do it . Then I'm out and start it with no video and it does it . It sounds like the throttle body is opening and closing maybe adjusting very rapidly. Hmmm.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'm gonna get it on video I will keep the tune in and every time I start it I will roll video at this point. Idk if data logging will help because it only does it at start up occasionally. Won't data logging only track when it is running? The tune seems to run fine. It only makes this noise on the ghost tune though and not on any other tune by other vendors.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:24 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thats really weird :/

Old 01-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

Did it do this before? Or any other tune? I think that may be your starter. My starter fires slower and it just sounds unhealthy. But it's 37* in the morning when I start it up. Just a thought.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

No when I load in any other tune it is fine. I had another tune in for about a month now and no issue. Loaded in the MPT tune and it did it on like the 10th start. Does it randomly and sounds like it is coming from the top of the motor.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I'm reviving this is hopes of having an answer to the grinding your were facing.

A fellow member in a cyclone mustang chapter I'm part of informed me that when you go to turn the car off, give it gas before you do, it'll reset the cams back to normal so you can shut it off.

Without doing so, the car will have a grind on start up. Hope this helps. He had a stage 3
Old 02-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

No idea what ur talking about bro^^^ both my 3.7 and 5.0 don't have that issue while loping and shutting off

Old 05-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Next time I load the tune I'll try it. Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang