Brake conversion ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Brake conversion ?

Is it possible to "upgrade" to a GT sized rotor. From my understanding the calipers are the same. What's different is the bracket, and the rotors?
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 11:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Is it possible to "upgrade" to a GT sized rotor. From my understanding the calipers are the same. What's different is the bracket, and the rotors?
You can do it easy and relatively cheap. Just buy the caliper and rotor from Roush ebay site and swap everything out. Its pretty easy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:22 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
They are cheap from Roush ebay store as previously mentioned.
brackets + calipers(same as V6) + rotors, all for 125 shipped
MUSTANG-13-2-GT-FRONT-BRAKE-ROTORS-SET-OEM-FACTORY-TAKE-OFF-
MUSTANG-GT-FRONT-BRAKE-CALIPER-SET-2-OEM-FACTORY-TAKE-OFF-

Installation just follow this video, you only need to swap over the brackets and rotors

but why not go for brembos?
crazychink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Because broke college kid!
Old 01-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Confused. Are the V6 calipers the same as the GT's, and we only need the caliper BRACKET off of a GT to switch to a GT rotor?
Old 01-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Confused. Are the V6 calipers the same as the GT's, and we only need the caliper BRACKET off of a GT to switch to a GT rotor?
Same caliper which is why the front pads work on my v6 and 5.0 u need the bracket to clear the larger rotor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Brake conversion ?

So the performance package says it has the GT Coup suspension. Does that include the brakes, and what are the differences in the two suspensions?
Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:41 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

What about the rears? I'm assuming the GT's use alarger rotor in the back? If so, is it a matter of swapping out the rear caliper bracket as well?
Old 01-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

My question is, if it's so simple sounding, why hasn't anyone done it? I know the 2011 guys like me should be nearing a milestone servicing. Instead of servicing I'm just upgrading.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
So the performance package says it has the GT Coup suspension. Does that include the brakes, and what are the differences in the two suspensions?
As far as I know V6 performance pack has the same size rotor as base model except PP uses different brake pads.

Quote:
What about the rears? I'm assuming the GT's use alarger rotor in the back? If so, is it a matter of swapping out the rear caliper bracket as well?
Rear is the same size, even on the Shelby up to 2012 model. Only the 2013+ Shelby has larger rear rotors.

Quote:
My question is, if it's so simple sounding, why hasn't anyone done it? I know the 2011 guys like me should be nearing a milestone servicing. Instead of servicing I'm just upgrading.
It is that simple, every V6 owner should at least upgrade to GT rotors front if you ask me.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
The 2011+ V6 already has the same size front brakes as the 2005-10 GT. So not an upgrade to add the GT brakes from 2005-10 to a 2011+.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The 2011+ V6 already has the same size front brakes as the 2005-10 GT. So not an upgrade to add the GT brakes from 2005-10 to a 2011+.
You are correct, the 2011 V6 can go or accelerate about as fast as a 2007 GT, so they put that size on the 2011+ V6. BUT the 2011+ GT is even larger since it has more power; and these pull offs allow us 2011+ V6 folks get the better stopping power.

I think I will get a "pull off" set and wait on putting them on until I need to.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:23 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
You are correct, the 2011 V6 can go or accelerate about as fast as a 2007 GT, so they put that size on the 2011+ V6. BUT the 2011+ GT is even larger since it has more power; and these pull offs allow us 2011+ V6 folks get the better stopping power.

I think I will get a "pull off" set and wait on putting them on until I need to.
You are correct about the even bigger front brakes on the 2011+ V8 Mustang. But the picture that I saw was of a 2005-10 Mustang and so I didn't want to see someone buying a take off set for those model years, only to find they already have that on their 2011+ V6.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
These FRONT Brake Rotors were taken off a brand new 2012 Mustang GT, so that it could be converted into a ROUSH Mustang
Good Point Jim , while the calipers seemed to be a good ad; looking at that upgrade table on the rotors they say they come off a 2012 GT, so what am I missing that as a intermediate?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-FO...item3f2aed9743

Art
Old 01-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You are correct about the even bigger front brakes on the 2011+ V8 Mustang. But the picture that I saw was of a 2005-10 Mustang and so I didn't want to see someone buying a take off set for those model years, only to find they already have that on their 2011+ V6.
Ok, I think you are saying that the Calipers in the set are the same but only that the bracket size changes? Yes I was willing to buy the Calipers at the take off prices to get the bracket. Also have spare parts on the Calipers should the factory ones get worn at 60-70k.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:18 AM   #16
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I just finished the front upgrade this weekend. Easy peasy. Remove the caliper, hang it with a clothes hanger, remove the stock V6 caliper bracket, remove the stock V6 rotor, install the GT rotor, install the GT caliper bracket, re-install the caliper (you may need to compress the pistin in a bit if the GT rotor is new and perhaps thicker than your removed V6 rotor; use a simple C-clamp for this), and your done.

For anyone that perhaps bought some new rims that were specific to V6 only, make sure the GT bracket with the V6 caliper clears the inside of the rim as a precaution.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I actually did brakes upgrade last fall. From V6 PP brakes to GT500 6 pots with 15" rotors. I saw a very good deal at ebay that I was not able to resist. The package includes brake calipers and rotors in all 4 corners, rear bracket and parking brake cable for under $1k. So far it works well for me. I lost about 1.5 to 2 mpg per fill the first few fill, but now my mpg seems like it slowly coming back to where it was prior to the brakes upgrade.
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:11 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post
I actually did brakes upgrade last fall. From V6 PP brakes to GT500 6 pots with 15" rotors. I saw a very good deal at ebay that I was not able to resist. The package includes brake calipers and rotors in all 4 corners, rear bracket and parking brake cable for under $1k. So far it works well for me. I lost about 1.5 to 2 mpg per fill the first few fill, but now my mpg seems like it slowly coming back to where it was prior to the brakes upgrade.
You were able to fit 6 pots in those PP rims? How thick is the spacer that's require to clear? Your car looks great btw
Old 01-27-2014, 10:17 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Swag. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1390839410.908522.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	146015 redid the brakes. Also the back of my front calipers are labeled v6... Are y'all sure the GT and V6 are the same?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychink View Post
You were able to fit 6 pots in those PP rims? How thick is the spacer that's require to clear? Your car looks great btw

Yes, I only use 1/2" spacers. Btw, I have to mention that you have to change your studs for you to be able to use the spacers. Stock studs are too short to work with 1/2" spacer. I am using the ARP 3" studs I bought from LMR. You can actually use the 2.5" studs for 1/2" spacer.

Some pics of the swap:

Front
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1390839463.044338.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	146016
Back

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1390839494.260954.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	146017
With PP wheels

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1390839648.327212.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	146020
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #21
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
I just finished the front upgrade this weekend. Easy peasy. Remove the caliper, hang it with a clothes hanger, remove the stock V6 caliper bracket, remove the stock V6 rotor, install the GT rotor, install the GT caliper bracket, re-install the caliper (you may need to compress the pistin in a bit if the GT rotor is new and perhaps thicker than your removed V6 rotor; use a simple C-clamp for this), and your done.

For anyone that perhaps bought some new rims that were specific to V6 only, make sure the GT bracket with the V6 caliper clears the inside of the rim as a precaution.
Can you feel any difference??
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #22
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Can you feel any difference??
On the street, honestly, no. However, I have not been on a road course track recently where I have had to make a high speed stop or slow down. I plan to visit the local airport weekend get together within a few weeks, and am looking forward to see if this upgrade provides some improvement in brake fade I was experiencing during this track running.

I also like how it "fills in" the space in the front wheels. That however is not going to make it worth the expense (even though it's a cheap upgrade). I'm into spending money on stuff I see improving performance. I should expect to see the brake fade diminish with these larger rotors on the course.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #23
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
On the street, honestly, no. However, I have not been on a road course track recently where I have had to make a high speed stop or slow down. I plan to visit the local airport weekend get together within a few weeks, and am looking forward to see if this upgrade provides some improvement in brake fade I was experiencing during this track running.

I also like how it "fills in" the space in the front wheels. That however is not going to make it worth the expense (even though it's a cheap upgrade). I'm into spending money on stuff I see improving performance. I should expect to see the brake fade diminish with these larger rotors on the course.
Yeah, I was thinking that that little of a change couldn't make that much of a difference. Although, like you said, it will be interesting to see what the effects are like at the track. I'd imagine brake fade would be reduced.
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:58 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Swag. Attachment 146015 redid the brakes. Also the back of my front calipers are labeled v6... Are y'all sure the GT and V6 are the same?
The calipers are the same, it is the bracket that the caliper mounts to that is different. You are looking at the bracket - they are stamped for the V6 and GT.

This is the bracket, closest to the lug nuts:

and stamped bracket for GT

And stamped for the V6

Size difference

These are comparing the 2006 V6 to a 2006 V8 though. In 2011 Ford upgraded the V6 front brakes. So if you are looking at a 2012 front brake, the bigger bracket probably does say "V6" on it, since the 2011+ uses the same front brakes as the 2055-10 V8 uses. The 2011+ V8 has a bigger bracket and rotor now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang