Select shift clunking - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
austin0324baird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Flowery Branch, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 85
Select shift clunking

Ok so hey! I have a 2013 v6 mustang. Auto... Sadly. And sometimes I like to play around with select shift. When my car is cold, just stared, it shifts perfect. However when I get it warmed up every gear shifts smooth but downshifting, only into 2nd! It makes a clunk. I took it to ford because it's still under warranty, and of course they didn't find a problem blah blah blah. I drove the service manager around and it did it like 2-3 minor times. He said it was normal. I call bs... What should I do? I'm looking to get a manual mustang probably in the near future. 4-8 months. I just don't want the select shift messing up like that. And ford refusing to fix it.
austin0324baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
austin0324baird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Flowery Branch, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 85
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1391522430.952492.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	147011
austin0324baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
sunnytan06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 233
Well aside from the problem that you have. Your car looks really nice!
sunnytan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
austin0324baird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Flowery Branch, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnytan06 View Post
Well aside from the problem that you have. Your car looks really nice!

Thank u! Haha I did the stripes myself. I'm only 17 and it was my first time. Lol thank u!
austin0324baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
SixBanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mount Rainier, MD
Region: Maryland
Posts: 968
How many miles? The tranny in my 14 V6 was pretty clunky until I got a couple thousand miles on it. It used to clunk like hell downshifting into 1st with SS but doesn't do it anymore.
__________________
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
austin0324baird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Flowery Branch, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 85
Ummm I think I passed 30,000 the other day. And my first is fine. It just seems to b downshifting into second it does it. I don't even know... Haha just stupid and I know it isn't normal.
austin0324baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
SixBanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mount Rainier, MD
Region: Maryland
Posts: 968
Hmm, I'm not sure then. Should be nice and worn in by 30k!
__________________
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
austin0324baird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Flowery Branch, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Hmm, I'm not sure then. Should be nice and worn in by 30k!

Ikr! Who knows. If it continues to happen I'll get it warm and take it there again. Or well I'll late it to a different 1.
austin0324baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
ArtU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,067
There will always be some amount of "backlash" in any drivetrain. Yes super expensive ones the backlash is less than common ones.

So you have gears in the transmission, yokes to the driveshaft, joint in the drive shaft, yoke to the rear end, pinion gear backlash, pinion to gear, move the axles in the spine. Every one of those points has a set amount of backlash that can all add up and if stressed or reversed, make a noise.

The most common experianced is the one Sixbanger mentioned. I can slow to light in 2, come to almost a stop and put it in 1st and a slight noise , clunk or whatever will be heard as the tranny releases one band and fixes the other in place.

On a 2nd gear clunk , does this happen with you downshifting during engine braking? Or does it happen with no pressure being placed on the driveline?

If you're moving at say 40 mph, and let off the gas and then downshift you might have placed a reverse load on the drive line and every joints clearance in the entire drive line will have some takeup in it and make noise. Or are you downshifting without letting up on the gas at all or downshifting and putting more gas into the pedal coming out of a curve in the track?

I have a 2013 Six Gun and depending on what I am doing the drive line is as silent as church mouse, or if I stress one way and then the other, it I can get a noise or two out of it.

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
austin0324baird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Flowery Branch, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
There will always be some amount of "backlash" in any drivetrain. Yes super expensive ones the backlash is less than common ones.



So you have gears in the transmission, yokes to the driveshaft, joint in the drive shaft, yoke to the rear end, pinion gear backlash, pinion to gear, move the axles in the spine. Every one of those points has a set amount of backlash that can all add up and if stressed or reversed, make a noise.



The most common experianced is the one Sixbanger mentioned. I can slow to light in 2, come to almost a stop and put it in 1st and a slight noise , clunk or whatever will be heard as the tranny releases one band and fixes the other in place.



On a 2nd gear clunk , does this happen with you downshifting during engine braking? Or does it happen with no pressure being placed on the driveline?



If you're moving at say 40 mph, and let off the gas and then downshift you might have placed a reverse load on the drive line and every joints clearance in the entire drive line will have some takeup in it and make noise. Or are you downshifting without letting up on the gas at all or downshifting and putting more gas into the pedal coming out of a curb?



I have a 2013 Six Gun and depending on what I am doing the drive line is as silent as church mouse, or if I stress one way and then the other, it I can get a noise or two out of it.



Art

When I go to downshift. Like at a light. Under 1.5k rpm. It even does it when like I'm going super slow. Like creeping in a parking lot. Idk! It's just stupid... Cuz it didn't do this when I first got it. Nor in my friends. And ford won't replace it
austin0324baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
ArtU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin0324baird View Post
When I go to downshift. Like at a light. Under 1.5k rpm. It even does it when like I'm going super slow. Like creeping in a parking lot. Idk! It's just stupid... Cuz it didn't do this when I first got it. Nor in my friends. And ford won't replace it
I really don't think Ford is going to replace it. They make some noise doing what you say. A very small amount of noise. Unless its like violent I think its the normal backlash. What you mention is when the clunks would be like Moving slow, at a light, the drive train is going to move back and forth some at all the joints. Does it make any noise downshifting while you are putting gas into the pedal? If it does then, you might have something to look at.

And yes as things get a little older or grease heats up (its thicker when cold) that holds the splines in all those joints, you might get a little louder noise.

My guess is you only notice this in second as you would not be moving slow and slowing up in such a way in a gear like 3,4, or 5th.

If the noise truly is a violent noise, then I would suggest taking it to a few other places to look at it.

For what its worth, this is much worse example. My GM 4x4 truck makes a violent u-joint type noise when letting up on the gas and putting the gas back in again, like slowing down for a curve and speeding up again. Its in the yoke to the transfer case and GM will only re-grease (lube the yoke on the tsb) it to get rid of the noise. That only lasts about 2 weeks. They even went so far as making nickel yokes to try to get the noise away but it just never goes away. I really doubt your mustang makes this bad a noise but you never know.

Do more experimenting to be able to reproduce it on demand and determine if it really is just normal wear backlash or a violent noise made by a destroyed bearing in a u-joint or something.

Remember how and where the term "BackLash" comes from. SLowing down and then moving forward again. All the joints move one way, and then the other way; noise comes from the normal clearances in all those joints when that happens.

Tech Notice: If you can Dodge a Wrench you can Dodge a Ball. There I used the word wrench in the post
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
austin0324baird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Flowery Branch, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
I really don't think Ford is going to replace it. They make some noise doing what you say. A very small amount of noise. Unless its like violent I think its the normal backlash. What you mention is when the clunks would be like Moving slow, at a light, the drive train is going to move back and forth some at all the joints. Does it make any noise downshifting while you are putting gas into the pedal? If it does then, you might have something to look at.

And yes as things get a little older or grease heats up (its thicker when cold) that holds the splines in all those joints, you might get a little louder noise.

My guess is you only notice this in second as you would not be moving slow and slowing up in such a way in a gear like 3,4, or 5th.

If the noise truly is a violent noise, then I would suggest taking it to a few other places to look at it.

For what its worth, this is much worse example. My GM 4x4 truck makes a violent u-joint type noise when letting up on the gas and putting the gas back in again, like slowing down for a curve and speeding up again. Its in the yoke to the transfer case and GM will only re-grease (lube the yoke on the tsb) it to get rid of the noise. That only lasts about 2 weeks. They even went so far as making nickel yokes to try to get the noise away but it just never goes away. I really doubt your mustang makes this bad a noise but you never know.

Do more experimenting to be able to reproduce it on demand and determine if it really is just normal wear backlash or a violent noise made by a destroyed bearing in a u-joint or something.

Remember how and where the term "BackLash" comes from. SLowing down and then moving forward again. All the joints move one way, and then the other way; noise comes from the normal clearances in all those joints when that happens.

Tech Notice: If you can Dodge a Wrench you can Dodge a Ball. There I used the word wrench in the post

Dang that was long haha! But yea like it only happens as if I'm almost at a stop. Like coming to a stop sign 20 ft away or somethin. So going pretty slow... But yea. It's like idek! It feels as if u slam a gear in a manual car and it jumps cuz not enough torque. It's hard to describe. Ok I'm gunna try to describe it this way... Ok so if u barely put the clutch in on a manual car. To where it barely connects. And then change the gear. It sounds like that but louder and more of a clunk... Idk haha it's hard to describe!! But I'm going to try other ford dealerships. Since it's still under CPO warranty.
austin0324baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:15 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
ArtU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,067
Yes, they will consider that normal. Mine does it. I can make it do it any time by putting in 2 gear, idle around a parking lot, barely move the throttle pedal and let go; rinse and repeat. As the car moves forward and then slows down, the backlash in the drive train makes a "slight" clunk as everything I mentioned before tightens up. Everyone I took it to says its normal backlash, you not supposed to be working the throttle like that they say

Even the Ford master tech transmission and gear guy in our town mustang club told me its normal backlash. Remember the parts are not brand new anymore and its normal wear. Try a few other dealers and see if they say the same thing. I agree a violent clunk is not normal, but these "slight" ones we are being told to live with them.

Also another transmission quirk lots of people report is the slight clunk in auto "D" mode as you come to a light, as you stop the trans is really in 2 and then just as the car stops it shifts to 1st and you feel the clunk of the 1st gear clutch pack engaging. The car will even lurch forward about 2 inches. This is designed to save emissions in the coast phase of coming to a stop.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
LuisBlackGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 334
Just get some axlebacks to cover up the clunking noise !
LuisBlackGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:12 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
My 2011 shifts hard, but that's because I have a tune, and the shift points were changed, and firmed up. This is actally better for an automatic; the smooth shifts wear the clutch discs in an autiomatic. They have to slip in order to make for a smooth shift, hence causing wear.

Anyhow, head out to a dealership one weekend, locate another automatic on the lot, and ask to test drive it, as if you are interested in buying. This might be easier if you drive in another vehicle other than your current Mustang. Then see if that Mustang does the same thing. If it does, then the service advisor could be telling you correctly, that they "all do it". If it does not clunk downshifting to second gear, then you have some proof to insist that yours is not normal, and deserves some attention.

Not sure about the 2013's but the 2011 to 2012 Mustang Automatics have a "learn" feature that remembers your driving style, and stores the shift patterns. As an example, if you drive in lots of stop/go traffic, it remembers this and ajusts the shifts based on this. Removing fuse #49 clears this memory, for awhile, until the system relearns it again. There's even a mod that was created by a member on another Mustang site that shows you how to install a relay that removes power from fuse #49 whenever the car is turned off, therefore forcing the shift memory to reset.

Not sure though if this is the same with the 2013 automatics.

Another way is to purchase a tune and have all the shift points firmed up.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:32 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
austin0324baird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Flowery Branch, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
My 2011 shifts hard, but that's because I have a tune, and the shift points were changed, and firmed up. This is actally better for an automatic; the smooth shifts wear the clutch discs in an autiomatic. They have to slip in order to make for a smooth shift, hence causing wear.

Anyhow, head out to a dealership one weekend, locate another automatic on the lot, and ask to test drive it, as if you are interested in buying. This might be easier if you drive in another vehicle other than your current Mustang. Then see if that Mustang does the same thing. If it does, then the service advisor could be telling you correctly, that they "all do it". If it does not clunk downshifting to second gear, then you have some proof to insist that yours is not normal, and deserves some attention.

Not sure about the 2013's but the 2011 to 2012 Mustang Automatics have a "learn" feature that remembers your driving style, and stores the shift patterns. As an example, if you drive in lots of stop/go traffic, it remembers this and ajusts the shifts based on this. Removing fuse #49 clears this memory, for awhile, until the system relearns it again. There's even a mod that was created by a member on another Mustang site that shows you how to install a relay that removes power from fuse #49 whenever the car is turned off, therefore forcing the shift memory to reset.

Not sure though if this is the same with the 2013 automatics.

Another way is to purchase a tune and have all the shift points firmed up.

2013 has select shift. Sooo it's a little different. But that actually does sound like a plan. Thnx!
austin0324baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
gt07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: franklin park
Region: Illinois
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin0324baird View Post
Ok so hey! I have a 2013 v6 mustang. Auto... Sadly. And sometimes I like to play around with select shift. When my car is cold, just stared, it shifts perfect. However when I get it warmed up every gear shifts smooth but downshifting, only into 2nd! It makes a clunk. I took it to ford because it's still under warranty, and of course they didn't find a problem blah blah blah. I drove the service manager around and it did it like 2-3 minor times. He said it was normal. I call bs... What should I do? I'm looking to get a manual mustang probably in the near future. 4-8 months. I just don't want the select shift messing up like that. And ford refusing to fix it.
ok artu gave you an accurate description of what is going on 10 points of tolerance you are doing this at a shift point from first to second and where the most amount of play is in the entire drive line and its catching up to the tolerances and trying to figure out which gear to shift into normal I could do that with my 07 auto if you find the slowest speed it can shift into second this is where its doing it .....stop doing it at that speed speed up 5 mpg and it wont do that ......note it will do that in every gear if you find that very slowest speed it shifts at.....ford wont fix it .its not broke its drive line play...hope this helps
gt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
ArtU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,067
Good Morning Bucko, the 2013s have this adaptive learning but its fuse #47 to pull. Also with a tune can be removed as you point out in "D" mode. The tunes will not change sport mode in "S" on the 2013/14. The tuners have told me that they can not access "S" mode for shift points, but the shift firmness tune settings are there for select shift in the tune.

OP, here is a thread talking about Fuse #47
CAI & fuse 47

Bucko, did your MPT tuners tell you if they removed the learning?
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 select shift automatic shifter AmericanBulldog 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 3 01-15-2014 03:11 PM
Check engine soon light came on? KamzGT Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 27 09-14-2013 05:33 PM
2014 Mustang Select Shift Issues Luis1991 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 4 08-06-2013 02:01 PM
Econo Shift/Skip Shift Rant michael81 2011-2014 Mustang GT 17 01-30-2012 07:52 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



11:32 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.