2010 bizarre possible sjb problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #1

2010 bizarre possible sjb problem

I bought used and drove for year no problems. Right now has just 23000 miles. Out of the blue one night opened door had no interior lights. Inside was completely dead and car would not start. I will add door was already unlocked.
Left it until morn went back check everything under hood, voltage everywhere there should be. Fuses all good etc. Decided to check box behind kick plate passenger foot well. Had some boxes on floor board and in process of moving them car started dinging and came back to life. Started right up.
Month.or so later pulled the same scenario. Just out of frustration I reached across and gave a couple of good whacks to the kick panel covering the inside fuses. Ding ding ding car comes to life.
Drove no problem for 5 weeks then did same thing except this time doors locked. Could not unlock with fob or with key manually. (The key not working manually I do not understand). Went to passenger side of car and firmly but not enough to damage gave a couple good kicks along bottom molding just outside where I guessed fuse box would be. Voila, back to life.
Problem has progressed to going dead while in operation, most often when applying a turn signal or sometimes right after I put into gear. I have unplugged and replugged everything in the sjb, no loose connections, grounds look good.
Now all of sudden.I also have the dreaded behind the radio in the dash clicking noise when it first starts, suspect HVAC actuator door but not convinced not also connected to sjb. Has anyone experienced anything similar. 2010 wasn't one of the leak years and I see no evidence of corrosion. Been troubleshooting this on and off 9 months. Can anyone explain manual key unlock not working on driver door? It will unlock manually when the interior of the car is alive.

Sent from my PG86100 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
mdowd210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Strange But

I had a 1998 Corvette that the key would not unlock the door when my battery died completely. AAA towed it to the dealer and they put it on a lift and hooked up some power and unlocked the door to get the hood opened, Replaced the battery and everything was fine from then on.
Dealer said the key will only work if there is slight power but not if totally dead like mine was. Door handle is not mechanical but actuated electrically. I'm guessing our Mustangs must be the same way. They probably figure most battery's don't go completely dead but die and leave enough juice to work the opener.

You may have a bad ground or it is loose. The problem with going to someone to fix it is they can fool with it for day's== ($$$$$) and not find the problem.
Try to find a schematic of that part of the wiring to find out how or where that box is grounded.
Good luck,
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #3

I suspected that the lock wasn't truly mechanical. I asked dealership why key wouldn't open door and their reply was maybe somebody had tried to jimmy it and messed it up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #4

Completely remived SJB today. Pulled and checked every fuse. Lil Emory on every contact plus some contact cleaner. Let dry well, reassembled in car. Fingers are crossed that problem was loose connection and this fixes.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
One other thing to check

Check the battery negative cable and be sure it is not loose. I feel bad for you because it is very frustrating to find a loose connection or intermittent short. At least you are capable of trouble shooting this and not paying a dealer $100.00 an hour to trial and error like your doing. They could charge you a fortune and still not find the problem.

I had a friend that had a Corvette and when his Girl Friend dropped a soda and shorted everything out it cost him $7,000 to replace all the computers etc. at the chevy dealers. His insurance was only liability so he had no coverage.

I sure hope your car is fixed and you have no more problems.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang