3.7 turbo mustang - Page 25 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #841
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Nope not pulling any timing we are only running 14 degrees of timing. Yea we do street tuning because it's realistic and what you do everyday. It was a little over 11 pounds on both of those

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #842
Registered Member
Regular

So just BSing here off the youtube video, but it looks to be about a 4 second 60-100?
A bone stock C6 z06 does about a 4.0 (~3150, ~450 whp)
My 5.0 does about a 4.2 (~3500, 450 whp)
My 500 whp ms3 did about a 3.7 (~3100 lbs / 490 whp)

Assuming the type of numbers that have been claimed, it would expect at least a mid 3. Granted, i literally just clicked pause / play on Youtube and guessed, but i'd like to actually see what it does.

I agree that yall are pretty content beating around the bush, Dyno (for the sake of power band, i could care less about numbers) and 1/4. Its not that hard. Have justin pull up a datalog too, yall likely have plenty laying around and tell me the 60-100 time.
You cant just expect people to take your word as law, eventually there just has to be some cold hard numbers. It sounds like yall have fixed the converter issue, so take it back out to sealy?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #843
Registered Member
Regular

We were talking about that because they don't really care about rules the track just sucks. That's probably where we will end up or might go to Oklahoma we don't know yet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #844
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Plastidip it, and run it again. Borrow some plates from Another car. Gives you one free run.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #845
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
Yea that's because the turbo is hot air and it was because I hit a dip so the back end of the car lifted up a little bit so it was spinning not on the street that's why it went away. Whatever it was on the camera

Your warning covered up the IAT, so i could not see what what your IAT was at the top end... Can you make a note of the IAT at the end of a run and ambient so we can see the delta? Better yet, data log the IAT and ambient and graph it so we can understand how the IATs climb during boost...

and yes, i know FI creates hot air... That's why i would like to understand how well your kit controls the heat... for example on my Focus ST the stock intercooler was woefully inadequate as you can see from the graph comparing the IAT using the stock vs the upgraded Forge intercooler...

2014 Ingot Silver Vert - MCA Edition

MPT Tuned - MRT Axle Back - MRT Catted H-Pipe - FRPP 3.55
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #846
Registered Member
Regular

That's a lot of work and money to get an extra run. I think the highest it got was like 108 but that was with it being 97 out and it's only during full throttle after that like I said before one or two degrees above outside temperature

Old 08-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #847
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's a lot of work and money to get an extra run. I think the highest it got was like 108 but that was with it being 97 out and it's only during full throttle after that like I said before one or two degrees above outside temperature

Well, of course it drops back... that's obvious...

when you do your runs make sure the IAT and ambient temps are logged...

and really? Are you serious? Extra work and money for an extra run???? seriously???

Old 08-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #848
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
We were talking about that because they don't really care about rules the track just sucks. That's probably where we will end up or might go to Oklahoma we don't know yet

I hear you on that, if its going to be your "press release," you certainly want a good pass. Looking forward to wherever it runs though, thanks for the quick response Connor. Keep it up.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #849
Registered Member
Regular

To plasti dip my whole car and change a plate while at the track seems like a lot of work to me. The iat I'll see what I can do.

No problem voltwings, working on doing everything I can

Old 08-08-2014, 12:34 AM   #850

I've never had, or have put a turbo on anything. I have read through all of this post and I am liking most of what I've seen. I'm a kid, with a 2014 3.7L Mustang. If I were to get one of these, it wouldn't be for months, (Crap part time job and car payment / insurance / gas) how much would I need to know about these, so I don't hurt my car. I'm a decent mechanic, almost done restoring a 1967 Fastback. (289 of course) I know how to tig, mig and arc weld. I can fabricate basic parts. But I know nothing when it comes down to tuning and turbos and the ups and downs and how to go about all of this without damaging my car. Don't blow me off, everyone had to start somewhere, thanks guys. Great thread by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Grantx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:41 AM   #851
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantx33 View Post
I've never had, or have put a turbo on anything. I have read through all of this post and I am liking most of what I've seen. I'm a kid, with a 2014 3.7L Mustang. If I were to get one of these, it wouldn't be for months, (Crap part time job and car payment / insurance / gas) how much would I need to know about these, so I don't hurt my car. I'm a decent mechanic, almost done restoring a 1967 Fastback. (289 of course) I know how to tig, mig and arc weld. I can fabricate basic parts. But I know nothing when it comes down to tuning and turbos and the ups and downs and how to go about all of this without damaging my car. Don't blow me off, everyone had to start somewhere, thanks guys. Great thread by the way.

My first install was 17 years ago and I only had light mod experience with turbos on a 90 AWD Talon I picked up cheap @ the time (95ish) . My kit was an absolute nightmare to install, compared to the looks of this one, but very similar in design. Log manifold on drivers side, cross over pipe behind engine with at least 3 bends (oh the horrors ).

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/CAPRI/DCP02799small.jpg

It will most likely be the best single before and after performance mod you have ever done on any car.

Anyway, sounds to me like you have more than enough experience/skills to drop this kit in. You will need to do your homework on a competent tuner in your area, but unlike 17 years ago, today there are 100's of shops that do turbo tunes all the time. Find one in your area that deals with turbos and fords and stress to them you want a very safe tune.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:47 AM   #852

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post

Anyway, sounds to me like you have more than enough experience/skills to drop this kit in. You will need to do your homework on a competent tuner in your area, but unlike 17 years ago, today there are 100's of shops that do turbo tunes all the time. Find one in your area that deals with turbos and fords and stress to them you want a very safe tune.

Thank you! I have a completely stock 3.7l v6 to work with right now, this probably won't be the first mod! I really appreciate it, and any other advice that anyone is willing to give. I'm 17, I'm sure y'all have a couple more years under y'all's belt! Hahaha

Old 08-08-2014, 01:48 AM   #853
Registered Member
Regular

Shouldn't have a problem at all, it's good getting people into the turbo community! It's crazy what they are now and how efficient they are. There isn't any fabricating required with the kit it all pieces together! Other than the kit all you would need is a programmer and a tune!

Old 08-08-2014, 01:51 AM   #854

I've been looking at the LiveWire tuner from mpt, I haven't heard very good things about Bama tunes. But I guess this isn't the right thread to be talking about this in, also new to forums. Made an account to reply to this thread.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:02 AM   #855
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
To plasti dip my whole car and change a plate while at the track seems like a lot of work to me. The iat I'll see what I can do.

No problem voltwings, working on doing everything I can

I was just joking about getting another run in. Excited to see the times.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:42 AM   #856
Registered Member
Regular

Yea dyno this morning and track tonight if it stays dry!

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

No problem grant we are all here to just talk with other mustang people and learn avast mustangs!

Old 08-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #857
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Good luck.
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #858
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Good luck and all eyes on you.

Now let's see you light that board up with some 10's.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #859
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks only one way to find out

Old 08-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #860
Registered Member
Regular

Not bad

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1407507698089.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	163114  
Old 08-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #861
Registered Member
Regular

First pull

Old 08-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #862
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
How much boost was this pull?

I expected the turbo to come on earlier. Is this an inertia dyno? That could explain the late spool.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #863
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
How much boost was this pull?

I expected the turbo to come on earlier. Is this an inertia dyno? That could explain the late spool.
Could be in the tune, 540 (hard to see on my computer) is a LOT of torque, not only to hook up but also on the engine internals. This is common in a street tune, low torque is for dyno queens, this is a useable powerband.

The real concern is the drop at 6k, which points to an obvious airflow restriction. You may be able to flatten that torque a little with some timing, but for that size turbo, with that much boost, thats got airflow written all over it. Granted, i can attest to have done multiple street tunes on high power cars in my day, that dip is nothing you could feel. You would never have known that was there until you hit a dyno.

Granted, the fact that the car is making substantially more torque than it is horsepower could also lead one to believe the turbo is slightly undersized for this application. Now, "undersized" is 100% relative and a matter of opinion, it just depends on what you're going for. Typically on "larger" turbo applications though, you'll see less torque than horsepower. Again, it just depends on what you're going for, Street vs track, top end vs mid range, stock motor vs built, Etc...

Connor, i was talking with Sean about porting the manifolds on his car after buying your procharger, and honestly doing some CFM research i said i doubt it would be worth anything based on cam lifts and cylinder head flow, but i'm starting to think there may be something to it... That is an obvious airflow restriction. Going to be interesting to see what it is. Thanks for the quick turn around time on the dyno.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #864
Registered Member
Regular

Here's the second one. And we are running under the stock timing. Stock you can run 16 we are running 14. So timing will affect it and it was our boost controller not restriction as well it was trying to fix and smooth the boost. Fixed the sensitivity and it's better second pull broke 500 on stock motor

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1407509797102.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	163118  
Old 08-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #865
Registered Member
Regular

We did a 4th gear pull so it delays a little bit. And it's on 13ish

Old 08-08-2014, 10:04 AM   #866
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here's the second one. And we are running under the stock timing. Stock you can run 16 we are running 14. So timing will affect it and it was our boost controller not restriction as well it was trying to fix and smooth the boost. Fixed the sensitivity and it's better second pull broke 500 on stock motor

I'm not going to argue tuning with you lol, HP dropping that much is *lack of airflow,* how about that.

Timing is a balance, just running more or less than stock doesnt mean anything since you're boosted. Hell, when tuning my car i did a LOT of experimenting with timing, and i dropped my car from 27 psi to 25 psi and added just 1 more degree of timing and was making 15 more whp. Even more importantly is the cam tuning on this car. You could make more power with 10 psi than you could 15 if you either do or dont know how to work the cams. I'm not saying Justin doesnt, just saying there is a lot of variables involved. I imagine thats going over most peoples heads here since they wont be tuning themselves, so we can just leave that at that .

Dont try to play the numbers down talking about boost controllers or timing or whatever, they are impressive, i'm just concerned about the HP falling up top. I'm simply being the devils advocate here.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #867
Registered Member
Regular

The power drop off at RPM is fairly close to how a stock manifold drops off. The first pull is a bit unstable. Graph is all over the place. Purely based on numbers it looks good. Hopefully you can smooth this out with some tuning time. Thank you for posting up the numbers
Old 08-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #868
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

Very impressive connor! Finally something to shut some of these people up

Also, i watched that 1320 feature on your car. Quarter of a million views! You guys are making a good name for these 3.7s! Keep it up
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #869
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I'm not going to argue tuning with you lol, HP dropping that much is *lack of airflow,* how about that.

Timing is a balance, just running more or less than stock doesnt mean anything since you're boosted. Hell, when tuning my car i did a LOT of experimenting with timing, and i dropped my car from 27 psi to 25 psi and added just 1 more degree of timing and was making 15 more whp. Even more importantly is the cam tuning on this car. You could make more power with 10 psi than you could 15 if you either do or dont know how to work the cams. I'm not saying Justin doesnt, just saying there is a lot of variables involved. I imagine thats going over most peoples heads here since they wont be tuning themselves, so we can just leave that at that .

Dont try to play the numbers down talking about boost controllers or timing or whatever, they are impressive, i'm just concerned about the HP falling up top. I'm simply being the devils advocate here.
We don't need your concern we do have a tuned tapering boost curve which lowers the hp clearly the higher we go as well as timing. We beat this car up to all hell and have it holding. And beating cars much higher in hp consistently. The curve the car has is very nice and shows it in each race and dyno pull. Thanks, Justin

Old 08-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #870
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
Very impressive connor! Finally something to shut some of these people up

Also, i watched that 1320 feature on your car. Quarter of a million views! You guys are making a good name for these 3.7s! Keep it up
It certainly isn't about shutting someone up he simply needed quantified data. Does Roush or Paxton market a product based on street racing? Hell no. It's data from a dyno that proves the concept.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #871
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye View Post
The power drop off at RPM is fairly close to how a stock manifold drops off. The first pull is a bit unstable. Graph is all over the place. Purely based on numbers it looks good. Hopefully you can smooth this out with some tuning time. Thank you for posting up the numbers

Boost =/= Na. The way a naturally aspirated powerband behaves does not mean it will mimick a boosted powerband in the same application. The All motor 3.7 power drops off for the same reason, and the same reason the stock GT does: lack of airflow. This is why when GT's switch to the boss manifold they see that "dip" turn into a flat line, because they were able to increase airflow.

You could cram enough boost into the stock manifold to flatten that tq out
-hp = (tq x rpm)/5252- so flat torque = rising hp
But eventually you would see diminishing returns. I am not saying, again, not saying that airflow problems lie within the turbo kit. It doesnt appear anyone besides CFM has pushed a 3.7 as hard as LPF has, and this is just part of pioneering. You get to find out what the weak points are.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #872
Registered Member
Regular

I would really like to see what the curve would look like using my ecoboost manifold. NA the curve climbs to 7 k and then stay flat where the stock manifold has long ago fallen flat.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #873
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
We don't need your concern we do have a tuned tapering boost curve which lowers the hp clearly the higher we go as well as timing. We beat this car up to all hell and have it holding. And beating cars much higher in hp consistently. The curve the car has is very nice and shows it in each race and dyno pull. Thanks, Justin

Lol dont get your panties in a bunch Justin, nowhere have i instuled this kit nor your tuning ability, just wondering whats up with the dyno. I dont care if it blows up or doesnt, i dont care who you beat or dont, i have a 5.0, so its not like i can even run this kit. I simply saw something in the dyno graph i questioned. Why you intintionally chose to "tune out" hp on the top end is beyond me, but do your thing man, Losing 100 whp between 6000 and 7000 rpms is something i'd be concerned about.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #874
Registered Member
Regular

Nice peak numbers but i would have expected the torque curve to be a lot flatter for a turbo... the way the torque comes on it looks more like a centri.... Even with the stock tune on my 3.5 EcoBoost the torque was a lot flatter....

Guessing that's why you like roll racing so much...

Old 08-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #875
Registered Member
Regular

Here's the graph with a straight line drawn across to see how much the graph actually falls with a tapered boost curve with low timing.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1407512200850.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	163121  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang